• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta-study: atheists are smarter than religious people

From IFLS

A new study has proposed an explanation for the negative correlation between religiosity and intelligence. Researchers from the UK and the Netherlands suggest that religion might be an instinct and rejection of instinct, being able to "rise above it", is linked to higher intelligence.

In their paper, published in Evolutionary Psychology Science, the researchers put forward the Intelligence-Mismatch Association model. They argued that religion is a so-called "evolved domain", what we would refer to as an instinct.

“If religion is an evolved domain then it is an instinct, and intelligence – in rationally solving problems – can be understood as involving overcoming instinct and being intellectually curious, and thus open to non-instinctive possibilities,” co-author Edward Dutton, of the Ulster Institute for Social Research in the UK, said in a statement.

The model that Dutton developed with co-author Dimitri Van der Linden from Rotterdam University also looked at the generic link between instinct and intelligence. In particular, they focused on instinct and stress as people tend to be a lot more instinctive and a lot less rational during particularly taxing periods. Intelligence – rationality – helps to cope with acting instinctively during those times.

“If religion is indeed an evolved domain – an instinct – then it will become heightened at times of stress when people are inclined to act instinctively, and there is clear evidence for this,” Dutton continued. “It also means that intelligence allows us to able to pause and reason through the situation and the possible consequences of our actions.”

excommunicate me if old

FAKE NEWS

6360139435793044861461393096_Donald-Trump-prune-face.jpg

I'm an atheist, and I just don't think this is true. Many of history's noteworthy intellects were religious. Isaac Newton was way smarter than me. Charles Darwin was studying to be a pastor when he came up with the theory of evolution. A Catholic Priest came up with the Big Bang Theory.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel it's important to note that what they measured was religiosity, not whether people are religious or not.

So on a spectrum from religious to not religious vs. whether they identify or not. Yes, this is important for interpretation, as there are many different ways of measuring religious beliefs (i.e. dogmatism would be something different entirely).

What about agnostic? Are you more dumb if you think "we just don't know" or smarter because you're more flexible to the possibility that we just... don't know?!

99Luffy

Banned
We already have stats showing religious people have less education. This stuff just sounds..

..Oh Psychology.

Would be interesting to see how the statistics would differ if religion were not forced on young children and was a choice to be made as an educated adult.

I'm an atheist, and I just don't think this is true. Many of history's noteworthy intellects were religious. Isaac Newton was way smarter than me. Charles Darwin was studying to be a pastor when he came up with the theory of evolution. A Catholic Priest came up with the Big Bang Theory.

Isaac Newton was a nut. He was insanely intelligent though. Think about the era of the people you're describing before saying scientist X from over 100 years ago was religious therefore...

McDougles

The source article is fascinating, but the blogspam from "I Fucking Love Science" is high wankery.

Please, please learn about this stuff from better sites.

Plumbob

setting aside which side is correct, wouldn't you expect more intelligent people to question the status quo and form their own beliefs more often?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Isaac Newton was a nut. He was insanely intelligent though. Think about the era of the people you're describing before saying scientist X from over 100 years ago was religious therefore...

Insanity or at least mental instability is often linked with intelligence as well.

What about agnostic? Are you more dumb if you think "we just don't know" or smarter because you're more flexible to the possibility that we just... don't know?!

Let's shut down this line of discussion early for once. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive positions to take.

Gnostic_Agnostic_Atheist.png.72b579449ee7fceb26d0632e19e1e13b.png

Garruson

Religion is an instinct????

I guess it's instinctual to believe that there is a higher presence than yourself to qualify moral decisions that you make and to absolve you of any wrong doings to not feel so guilt ridden, and also to comfort yourself with life beyond death, and to believe that something must have created us all. The fact there's so many religions speaks volumes to religion indeed being instinctual, well, at least spirituality.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

They didn't exactly live during a time where it was socially acceptable to be an atheist though. And intelligence is a spectrum, so it's not unreasonable that even among "intelligent" people, there would be more intelligent people and less intelligent people when looking at an average person.

Airola

Just a reminder for atheist internet people:

Even if it's true that atheists were more intelligent than religious people on average, it doesn't mean you are one of those who fall into the above average category ;)

Insanity or at least mental instability is often linked with intelligence as well.

Right, so someone like Newton was not without his blemishes and we tend to remember his genius not his flaws which could have been the result of his genius. Also, time period.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think a willingness to ignore deductive evidence and instead rely on "gut feeling" is part of what makes religious people prone to ignorance. They tend to adhere to that dedication to gut feelings, despite there actually being scientific and history-backed reasons for why things are the way they are.

I mean, look at Relgious people rejecting climate SCIENCE, because they don't think mankind would be allowed to damage the Earth.

ibyea

Banned
I am an atheist and I think we have got to be very careful of taking these studies at face value. Especially because you can't put the concept of intelligence into a single number. It is a complicated subject matter where there are various dimensions of intelligence, and the concept of intelligence is often times fraught with biases when it comes to race, sex, and class.

Just a reminder for atheist internet people:

Even if it's true that atheists were more intelligent than religious people on average, it doesn't mean you are one of those who fall into the above average category ;)

It also doesn't mean you should stir up religious people. Dumb or not they are controlling America right now and all the nuclear weapons.

Newton spent a great deal of his time trying to turn lead into gold and was an occultist. Not really your classic religious type.

Sheroking

Agnostic pertains to knowledge, not belief. Many people misuse the term to be some kind of third option, but it's not. You are an agnostic atheist, an agnostic theist or you claim to know for a fact.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Atheists don't like pineapple on pizza in my experience so they're instantly smarter.

Sheroking

You're talking about people who lived 100-500 years ago. Being a believer in an age where less was discovered is quite a bit different than being one now.

Which is why as few at 5-15% of 'elite' scientists identify as religious.

WillyFive

Religion is an instinct????

Most likely not any current ones due to their highly specialized canons, but many religions developed independently across many different parts of the world across many different eras of human history without direct interaction; so it is a very effective explanation.

kswiston

This seems self evident.

Most people in the world are brought up to be religious, to the extent that some level of religiousness is basically the default childhood state. If you figure that there is some intelligence cut-off under which people are unlikely to question what they were taught as children, it would follow that most of those rejecting their childhood religion for some form of atheism/agnosticism (or even just a decrease in religious faith) would be above said threshold.

I guess it would depend on the studies making up the meta-studies though, including the level of intersectionality.

However, you would probably find the same result with people who switch religions from the one they were raised with.

Two Words

Well, there's no actual logical merit for believing in any religion. I would say that being less intelligent better primes you to believe in religion in the same way being less intelligent better primes you to believe in most scams.

Imm0rt4l

I feel it's important to note that what they measured was religiosity, not whether people are religious or not.

So on a spectrum from religious to not religious vs. whether they identify or not. Yes, this is important for interpretation, as there are many different ways of measuring religious beliefs (i.e. dogmatism would be something different entirely).
An important distinction for sure

Top Bottom