• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic: The 25 Best Albums of 2017 So Far

Oersted

DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar

Can Kung-Fu Kenny do no wrong? So far it would seem so. DAMN was very well-received, earning the highest first week of sales for an album in 2017 (so far). It surpassed Lamar’s previous releases, becoming his top-selling album at 603,000 copies in its first week alone.

A Crow Looked at Me by Mount Eerie

Songwriter Phil Elverum works through the sadness of losing his wife to cancer in A Crow Looked at Me, taking listeners along for the emotional ride.

Melodrama by Lorde

Expectations may have been sky-high for this follow-up to her 2013 debut Pure Heroine, but the now-20-year-old New Zealand pop star managed to exceed them with Melodrama, produced and co-written by fun.'s Jack Antonoff.

Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples

After wowing critics with his 2015 studio debut, the Southern California rapper scored even higher with this very different, electronica-influenced follow-up.

Arca by Arca

The London-based producer and recent Bjork collaborator Alejandro Ghersi received the best reviews of his career for this third album and XL debut.

Full list here

http://www.metacritic.com/pictures/best-albums-of-2017-at-midyear

Lock if old

Thewonandonly

Run the Jewels 3 should be in the top 5.
Damn when you said that I was thinking it was six... it's not even in the top 25 :O

Wonder if since it came out in December on Spotify that they count it as 2016 because that album is pure fire and run the jewels best

trixx

The beats on big fish theory is what made me dislike it. Headache to listen to after a while, seriously exhausted. Still want to listen to the Jay Z album, that single is really good.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Damn is pretty overrated, it was ridiclous that at one point it might have been the #1 reviewed album on the site. Saying it is on the same level as TPAB is just quite awful. I would state that Lorde's Melodrama is overrated as well.

Edit:

Also saw the xx album on there...it's an okay album, and does nothing special that the indie garage band next door can't do.

Damn. and Kendrick Lamar are getting to the stage where I'm getting actively annoyed with people who hold either up as the savior of rap music.

It was alright, probably an 8 or so out of 10, but its his weakest album since Section 80.

Nipo

Damn. and Kendrick Lamar are getting to the stage where I'm getting actively annoyed with people who hold either up as the savior of rap music.

It was alright, probably an 8 or so out of 10, but its his weakest album since Section 80.

His weakest is still better than anything else out this year.

El Topo

I thought I lampshaded that. Guess not.

Oh, you did, don't worry.
Random Metacritic fact: No woman has ever had the highest-rated album of the year on Metacritic. The closest are Loretta Lynn in 2004 (same MC score as Brian Wilson, less reviews, ranked below) and Meg White as part of The White Stripes in 2003.

Ristifer

Damn is pretty overrated, it was ridiclous that at one point it might have been the #1 reviewed album on the site. Saying it is on the same level as TPAB is just quite awful. I would state that Lorde's Melodrama is overrated as well.
No.

And no.

Am I weird for not liking what the majority likes? Whenever I see lists like these or when someone recommends me something I don't like it. Most of the time.

Most of the stuff on the list I've heard and think is good to decent but absolutely none have been solid from top to bottom. Nothing this year has grabbed me for its entire runtime, they all got flab.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Most of the stuff on the list I've heard and think is good to decent but absolutely none have been solid from top to bottom. Nothing this year has grabbed me for its entire runtime, they all got flab.
I'm feeling the same. It's really weird how we're in July and still have yet to get an album that's like a 9. Usually we'd have a couple by May.

I did not realize Stormzy released an album this year. I just listened to Ray BLK's Durt this year, but Stormzy didn't impress me on "My Hood". I'll give it a listen though.

I'm feeling the same. It's really weird how we're in July and still have yet to get an album that's like a 9. Usually we'd have a couple by May.

Have you listened to Substantial's The Past Is Always Present in the Future or Moonchild's Voyager?

Mi goreng

I was so excited for that Arca record and haven't played it more than once. I should return to it.

Edit: Laurel Halo's Dust is on the list, and for good reason, it's dope. If you're an adventurous listener check it out.

Weird, I think the last Paul Weller work was very weak.

Specially compared to something like Robyn Hitchcook new album, to put a similar old british rocker that released an album this year.

Top Bottom