• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic: The 25 Best Albums of 2017 So Far

Acidote

Threads like this remind me every now and then that I don't know pretty much anything about music. I only know DAMN (which I love) and Melodrama from that list.

sasliquid

I would feel weird giving any of the records I've heard this year AOTY. Lots of them are good but none feel great or improve on their predecessors, maybe A Crow Looked at Me but that's such an uncomfortable album it feels strange to praise like that

I’m curious, why are some people so down on Big Fish Theory?

I think it’s a pretty cohesive album that uses some incredible talent for production that really shines as modern and fresh. The SOPHIE tracks are incredible.

Lorde also made a fantastic choice with using Jack Antonoff as a producer.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not gonna lie, the latest Pallbearer and Elder albums don't have the same lasting power as their previous releases.

Weird, because I thought the Pallbearer album, atleast, was some of their best music. They've grown exponentially in the span of these 4 years.

Parch

Threads like this remind me every now and then that I don't know pretty much anything about music.
Me too. I have to look up the artists to see if I might be interested.
I admit to being a real genre snob. If it's pop or rap or country, pass.

I’m curious, why are some people so down on Big Fish Theory?

I think it’s a pretty cohesive album that uses some incredible talent for production that really shines as modern and fresh. The SOPHIE tracks are incredible.

Lorde also made a fantastic choice with using Jack Antonoff as a producer.

I really like big fish theory.. some of the most interesting production I've heard

admittedly Ive never heard anything else by Vince before so I don't have much frame of reference.. ill get on that

Beach

I'd rank Jay Z, Playboi, Gucci, and Joey Badass album efforts over DAMN. Drake tied. tbh
Unpopular opinion and all

Can't even rate Big Fish Theory at all. I understand that he kind of perfected the genre on Summertime 06' and wanted to move on but damn.

Lorde album of the year so far.
Portgual. The Man #2

this year is so meh in terms of music.

Just to put it into perspective-2016 brought us:
Kanye
Kendrick
2 Frank Ocean records
Bon Iver
Beyonce
Danny Brown
Radiohead
Death Grips
Chance

2017 aint got shit on last year.

Not

Banned
Shit now I wanna make my own list

1. DAMN. by K.Dot
2. Process by Sampha
3. Pretty Girls Like Trap Music by 2 Chainz
4. Melodrama by Lorde
5. Ctrl by SZA
6. Harry Styles by Harry Styles
7. What Now by Sylvan Esso
8. Funk Wave Bounces Vol. 1 by Calvin Harris
9. Like a Woman by Kacy Hill
10. Fin by Syd
11. After Laughter by Paramore
12. Droptopwop by Gucci Mane
13. Drunk by Thundercat
14. Beautiful Thugger Girls
15. 4:44 by Jigga WHO?
16. Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples
17. HNDRXX by Future
18. Culture by Migos
19. Iteration by Com Truise
20. I See You by The XX
21. LANY by LANY
22. Crack-Up by Fleet Foxes
23. H.E.R. Volume 2 by H.E.R.
24. FUTURE by Future
25. Playboi Carti by Playboi Carti

LionPride gets cred from me for putting LANY in there

LANYYYYYYY

Neith

Banned
Without DAMN this year has been weak as hell for original great albums IMO. A lot of reissues and great stuff from the past though.

this year is so meh in terms of music.

Just to put it into perspective-2016 brought us:
Kanye
Kendrick
2 Frank Ocean records
Bon Iver
Beyonce
Danny Brown
Radiohead
Death Grips
Chance

2017 aint got shit on last year.

It's almost concerning to be frank. 2017 was one of the weakest years in my memory. Without DAMN and maybe a couple others I'm just kind of coasting on old stuff atm. Lot of reissues as I said. I don't even care anymore. There is so much from the past I can handle a bunch of weak years.

PudieRSC

I love me some Kung Fu Kenny, but damn I feel so out of the loop with modern music. I've tried, but so much of it just doesn't connect with me.

almost exclusively listen to podcasts/music not from this year, but here is the stuff that has stood out to me... i really gotta start tracking this cause i feel like there's a lot more i liked especially in terms of hip-hop

muna - about u - this is honestly the best pop record in years, probably since carly rae jepsen's kiss. this floored me
actress - azd
arca
laura marling - semper femina - seeing this performed live upped my love for it tenfold
quelle chris
EBBTG
kinda like the marika hackman
zola jesus
oh yeah the jlin album is up there too

super excited for that julien baker, idk what it is about her but time stops when i put her on. and big bossin' volume 2

Haven't read good impressions - how's it compare to Time 1?
I mean, nothing compares to Time I, but it's good. He went pretty heavy into black metal influences on the guitars and tone, so it's different from his other two in a nice way.

The first two songs are very similar in structure to "Sons of Winter and Stars" which ain't a bad thing since that song is amazing, though on multiple listens it feels a tad obvious. Fourth song is nice and dark with some less melodic twists to it that I like, and the last song is more clean singing than anything else. it's very sad and moody though. Good stuff.

Still, album is fantastic. My current AOTY.

yeah DAMN is sick, i think it's his best as well. so refreshing to put kendrick on the speakers with people around again. TPAB is conceptually incredible to me but i just find it absolutely unlistenable, especially in any type of social setting

Are people overlooking Joey Badass' album or did they just not like it? Because if it weren't for Damn I'd give it a pretty good shot of getting AOTY from me.

Takes:
BFT is good

Not even a top 5 rap album of the year, but I do like it for the most part

Agreed. Should be top 5

Agree

Saturation is such a mish mash of styles, subject matter, flows, quality heol pretty much every thing. I like it but I sure as hell dont think its better than DAMN.

Not

Banned
yeah DAMN is sick, i think it's his best as well. so refreshing to put kendrick on the speakers with people around again. TPAB is conceptually incredible to me but i just find it absolutely unlistenable, especially in any type of social setting

King Kunta, Alright, Wesley's Theory, Hood Politics, Complexion

Man, I don't get it

Best album of 2017 bout to drop in three weeks:
DLzumTnU8AAEc5w.jpg:large

Top Bottom