• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

I actually feel a bit underwhelmed by the demo. Played it twice now. Will play several times more to try things out but this is not as fun as I hoped it would be. I badly needed my 'vanquish' fix but this doesn't feel like it will do it for me. The final game could easily be more fun to me as some demos don't do the final game justice

Do hope this grows on me tho

like vanquish there is more to the controls them simply pressing the attack button.
and both games have a tutorial that doesnt even begin to show you the depth of it's controls and combinations

holding down ninja run while pressing different buttons opens up enhanced attacks like the power slide and jump kick

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I love how aggressive the Gekkos are. You can't run. Shit sprint to the other side of the battle zone, turn around, and they'll be right behind, mooing.

I still feel bad when I chop off their legs though.

HardRojo

Also, is everyone aware you can slash in blade mode using the attack buttons? Less precise but some of you seem to dislike the stick.

Every time I tried to attack during Blade Mode with the attack button the stick centering back to its place would mess with my angle, I hate how delicate Dualshock's sticks are.

Astral

Restarting the boss battle over and over again is good practice. I love the game so far. The wide attacks feel a little button mashy though. I wish Raiden didn't have infinite wide attacks.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't think it's bad design. This game, like Ninja Gaiden, forces the player to be aware of everything that's going around them. The skill is in being aware and tailoring your strikes accordingly, even if that means breaking lock. It's entirely the players fault if they are ignoring most of the enemies on the field if they're locked in.

Yea. Pretty much. I knew wtf was up when I was fighting both of them and they started sidestepping to get behind me.

G_Berry

Banned
Demo was great, I mean anything MGS related at this point is a bonus.

Screen tearing at the beginning was disappointing as are the jagz and poor cut scene image quality.

Waiting to see the PS3 version. No screen tearing = sold.

(WiiU also needs this. Using dat pad to slice fools? Win.)

Sajjaja

Was skeptical at first about this game. I fucking love it. My first playthrough I was upset that there was no dodge, but I finally understood the parry system at the end of it, making my 2nd playthrough even better. Pre ordering right now!

Kacho

Other than the funky parry system I enjoyed the demo a lot. The boss battle was pretty badass. He was whooping my ass there for a bit. I don't think Isuccessfully parried one of his attacks.

HardRojo

By the way, are you supposed to press something during the X+Square animation in the boss battle? Raiden was about to stab the doggie robot while in slomo and then nothing happened, it felt like one of those moments your character is supposed to shake hands or something but you forget to press anything and miss the chance.

I don't think it's bad design. This game, like Ninja Gaiden, forces the player to be aware of everything that's going around them. The skill is in being aware and tailoring your strikes accordingly, even if that means breaking lock. It's entirely the players fault if they are ignoring most of the enemies on the field if they're locked in.

I get that, but I don't buy it in this case. The camera is always pretty close and constantly being thrown around due to the nature of combat + blade mode + getting stuck on geometry (which REALLY shouldn't be happening in 2013). Getting hit by random rockets or Gekko dropkicks from off screen while you're mid combo without a warning will frustrate many people. There should at least be a split second indicator that a Gekko just fell off a plane before it lands on you.

But again, it's manageable, and Raiden is maneuverable enough that it doesn't feel cheap. It just doesn't feel as polished as Bayonetta.

I just wished the camera followed the action better. There are too many times where some enemies trail off screen and prep some attack.

Just wait. same happened for me, then it finished.
Better than NG though.. I think they might have zoomed out the camera more in the final build because if you watch jack the ripper trailer it looks more zoomed out. Though I think that they might only do that for certain areas..

ezekial45

Banned
By the way, are you supposed to press something during the X+Square animation in the boss battle? Raiden was about to stab the doggie robot while in slomo and then nothing happened, it felt like one of those moments your character is supposed to shake hands or something but you forget to press anything and miss the chance.

Activate blade mode when it goes into slow mo after the QTE.

Go into blade mode.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
THIS GAME! THIS GAME! I'm a Platinum Games hater and thought they would ruin the game but I'm pleasantly surprised that 1) the combat is good (but then Kamiya is pretty good for that even if Bayonetta was a side-step) and 2) Kojima's writing is still there for better or worse (better from the little I've seen from the cutscenes so far) but 3) blade mode while neat is mostly pointless and could've been better off axed.

I don't really get the "stealth" mode since anytime I rush toward enemies (or even walk) they notice me. Ugh.

And I had a little trouble with parrying, I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Point at the enemy that is "glare"-ing and press Square, okay. But half the time my pressing in their direction fails. I assume it's forward+square only instead?

Also hangups from the ZoE build is still here, or I got a different one. Skipped the soldier cutscene to hang. Stupid.

If it's the finisher, when it slowed down after Raiden stabs it you use Blade Mode to stylishly wreck his shit.

Kacho

THIS GAME! THIS GAME! I'm a Platinum Games hater and thought they would ruin the game but I'm pleasantly surprised that 1) the combat is good (but then Kamiya is pretty good for that even if Bayonetta was a side-step) and 2) Kojima's writing is still there for better or worse (better from the little I've seen from the cutscenes so far) but 3) blade mode while neat is mostly pointless and could've been better off axed.

I don't really get the "stealth" mode since anytime I rush toward enemies (or even walk) they notice me. Ugh.

And I had a little trouble with parrying, I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Point at the enemy that is "glare"-ing and press Square, okay. But half the time my pressing in their direction fails. I assume it's forward+square only instead?

Also hangups from the ZoE build is still here, or I got a different one. Skipped the soldier cutscene to hang. Stupid.

This isn't a Kamiya game.

SOGOOD

This demo has convinced me to take the plunge and preorder. Everything just feels right. Blade mode in particular is freaking awesome.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This isn't a Kamiya game.

Whoever it is, they've NAILED the combat feel for Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden-fans like me. The only awkward thing is going into blade mode and having to use the camera to "precision strike." They should patch in an option that basically targets you at the midpoint of the enemy to where you can simply wail on enemies (though may or may not get a health gain spine from this) without having to fuck with the camera and fuck with worrying about Gekkos coming onto you in the middle of fumbling with blade mode.

(It's one of those things that made me go "yeah, I can see why Kojima axed Rising and gave it to Platinum, this is a neat tech demo but simply doesn't work" from the tutorial about it alone.)

I don't understand the evade move. Is it SQUARE + TRIANGLE + (direction you want to evade)?

:S
edit: oops didn't see that yah square +x...Yes it helps to be locked onto the target. If you press it without a direction you just go backward with enemies present. You can also cancel out of the recovery of some moves with it.

moolhy

Banned
Yes it helps to be locked onto the target. If you press it without a direction you just go forward. You can also cancel out of the recovery of some moves with it.

Yeah that sounds useful.

So, x + square, huh? That video lies, then. Cause it said triangle, square.... or am I talking shit? o_O

EDIT: wait, wait.... Lock-on? THIS GAME HAS LOCK ON? LIKE ZELDA? xD

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Another thing: I actually watched the opening scene and didn't find it horrendous. I even though the "keep an eye out" joke was pretty well done.

ApolloJoh

Whoever it is, they've NAILED the combat feel for Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden-fans like me. The only awkward thing is going into blade mode and having to use the camera to "precision strike." They should patch in an option that basically targets you at the midpoint of the enemy to where you can simply wail on enemies (though may or may not get a health gain spine from this) without having to fuck with the camera and fuck with worrying about Gekkos coming onto you in the middle of fumbling with blade mode.

(It's one of those things that made me go "yeah, I can see why Kojima axed Rising and gave it to Platinum, this is a neat tech demo but simply doesn't work" from the tutorial about it alone.)

Kenji Saito

He's worked on the first two Viewtiful Joe games too which're great too!

About the demo, it's awesome. Was screwing up with some of the zandatsu stuff but I'll keep playing it more to get used to the controls and whatnot.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I get that, but I don't buy it in this case. The camera is always pretty close and constantly being thrown around due to the nature of combat + blade mode + getting stuck on geometry (which REALLY shouldn't be happening in 2013). Getting hit by random rockets or Gekko dropkicks from off screen while you're mid combo without a warning will frustrate many people. There should at least be a split second indicator that a Gekko just fell off a plane before it lands on you.

But again, it's manageable, and Raiden is maneuverable enough that it doesn't feel cheap. It just doesn't feel as polished as Bayonetta.

There are no random rockets in the demo though. If someone is getting pelted, then they should map out their plan of attack better, pay attention to the red laser that's being aimed at them, or make it a priority to take out the rocket launcher guys first. If they forget and get hit by one while their being swarmed by the Geckos, then they can use ninja run to get to him without getting hit.

I'm almost certain that the Geckos make noise before they jump into the air. Either way, you can tell when they're getting ready to take flight, and it gives you ample time to parry or evade.

The camera definitely isn't perfect and can probably be pulled back a little bit, but I haven't run into anything near the level of bullshit that NG 2 throws at you: half of it due to the shitty camera. I can definitely understand people getting disoriented with going into blade mode and the theatrics.

Kajiba

I wouldn't be surprised if it was taken out. Especially with combat areas mostly orange walling you off from alot of the environment's edges

Oh well. :/

Gotta believe in Itagaki bringing back that real Ninja shit in Devil's Third!

In Itagaki We Trust!

I love how aggressive the Gekkos are. You can't run. Shit sprint to the other side of the battle zone, turn around, and they'll be right behind, mooing.

I still feel bad when I chop off their legs though.

The part and the animation when you stab them repeatedly on top of their head is kinda overkill. Can't wait to fight the other enemies they have in this game.

Kacho

Yeah, the combat is quite good. I need to practice the parry system a bit. That seemed awkward to me on my first playthrough, but now that I have read up on it, I think I understand how it works.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The game lags like a mofo on 360 once you cut something into over 150 pieces. Slows to a crawl. Not that I expect anyone to be doing that.

I find a lot of the directional stuff pretty tricky, particularly the side slash/dodge thing. It's easy enough when you're locked on to a guy you're fighting one on one, but I can barely ever pull it off in group combat. You have to push the stick to the side relative to the enemy who's attacking you, which isn't always clear when you've got a Gekko's legs blocking out half the screen.

I also can't really work out the combo system. It's not a dial-a-combo system, right? It seems like Raiden will do basic attacks for as long as I mash the wide attack button, and your Stingers and High Times and stuff are done with stick inputs. Basic attacks don't really seem to flow into eachother very well, though, and comboing from random slashing into a Stinger or something feels a bit awkward.

Still, I think it's great. It's totally unlike any other character action game I know, so I'm looking forward to learning to play it right.

So...the trick to doing tight combos is to start your offense with Y/Triangle huh?

Edit: @enzo I went up to 2000 just to see if I could make the game crash lol.

KBMYAC

Neo Member
Which brilliant movie is this, and are you kidding me.

Slide zandatsus are fucking hilarious.

I can't imagine how ridiculous it looks from the outside. Like this
rKpxP.gif

except a bunch of dudes turn into a shower of body parts

moolhy

Banned

Blade mode and the whole Zan-Datsu concept was something that the previous team at KojiPro had come up with for their version of the game. It appears that Platinum saw it as the game's "catch" and decided to shoehorn it into their game so as to give the combat some identity and ultimately feels incongruous with the rest of the mechanics.

It only serves to remind me how pissed off I was that KojiPro's Fox Engine-powered version didn't pan out. :mad:

Akainu

Invisible walls? Nah Electromagnetic barracks. *pffft*

Is there no way to do the zandatsu without wasting the power?

The parrying is a lot easier to pull off then I imagined.

Piepz

Am I the only one who didn't like the demo? It's an ok hack and slash and that's about it.
Didn't like the story either.

And I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid series fan. The only game on my PS3 is MGS4.

This game is just rubbish. Sorry.

There are no random rockets in the demo though. If someone is getting pelted, then they should map out their plan of attack better, pay attention to the red laser that's being aimed at them, or make it a priority to take out the rocket launcher guys first. If they forget and get hit by one while their being swarmed by the Geckos, then they can use ninja run to get to him without getting hit.

I'm almost certain that the Geckos make noise before they jump into the air. Either way, you can tell when they're getting ready to take flight, and it gives you ample time to parry or evade.

The camera definitely isn't perfect and can probably be pulled back a little bit, but I haven't run into anything near the level of bullshit that NG 2 throws at you: half of it due to the shitty camera. I can definitely understand people getting disoriented with going into blade mode and the theatrics.

They're not literally random, but with the amount of particles + Gekkos blocking your view at times they might as well be. It was a common complaint of Bayonetta that the screen was messy because of all the effects, but nothing ever happened without the player being able to clearly see and hear it coming to react. That's all my complaint comes down to. Rising, in the demo, doesn't feel as tight for a number of reasons. You can get hit by attacks that start up off screen without being able to react sometimes, and I, personally, don't think it's good design. Sure you can attempt to better position yourself, but the camera is a wily bastard, especially when locked on.

Am I the only one who didn't like the demo? It's an ok hack and slash and that's about it.
Didn't like the story either.

And I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid series fan. The only game on my PS3 is MGS4.

This game is just rubbish. Sorry.

Sorry you feel that way. As a huge metal gear fan, I love this game.

Ein Bear

Sorry you feel that way. As a huge metal gear fan, I love this game.

If anything, it feels more like a Metal Gear game than I was even expecting. It was a pretty awesome surprise having the codec and sound effects all present and correct, along with everyone talking about SOP and such.

Top Bottom