• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

You can lock your camera onto an enemy using RB.
Yeah, that was the first adjustment to what I was doing that I made when I found I was having trouble. :p It helped, but I still had difficulty managing both Gekkos, I'm thinking I might try to use the right stick click some more? Being aware of the dodge now should help some.

I feel bad that you guys missed out on the ZOE HD collection (which, yes, wasn't up to snuff framerate wise with the PS2 versions, but wasn't even a nuisance. Also, the games looked absolutely beautiful in HD).

I enjoyed playing this demo back in November, but I may download the PS3 one since I bought the 360 ZOE collection.

god I suck at this parrying is ridiculous hard for me. I hate having to push the analogue stick in for any primary function in any game though. If I ever do pick this up I may have to play on easy. I just didn't get it. I had to sneak pass the two mechs I was actually starting to think you can't beat them. Got to the boss kept dying cut it off. I'm just not the caliber action game player this seems catered to.

It's forward, not in

Smeghead

Struggled a bit with the demo, couldn't get the hang of parrying down and the fact that I wasn't aware of how to dodge, made for a frustrating experience.

They could've done with a parrying tutorial really. Are you supposed to hit both left stick + X simultaneously? Or just X as long as you have the analog in a direction.

A move list would have been nice as well.

Majukun

did anyone managed to get the box on the top of the scenery in the VR tutorial?

i've tried to make ramps with parts of the scenery,but i can't seem to get on the top.

deim0s

Struggled a bit with the demo, couldn't get the hang of parrying down and the fact that I wasn't aware of how to dodge, made for a frustrating experience.

They could've done with a parrying tutorial really. Are you supposed to hit both left stick + X simultaneously? Or just X as long as you have the analog in a direction.

When an enemy attacks - you'll see a red flash or orange glow from the gekko, that's right time to parry.

here you go

How to be a BADASS in Rising Demo
http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s <---MGSR TUTORIAL on Moveset

It's in Japanese but you should be able to figure out what buttons they are pressing if you've played the demo

When an enemy attacks - you'll see a red flash or orange glow from the gekko, that's right time to parry.

this too

I really hope you get a lot more moves to do in the final game, because with the demo it seems really limited.

EDIT:

It's in Japanese but you should be able to figure out what buttons they are pressing if you've played the demo
hidden depth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYGIRVeVY24&feature=youtu.be&t=1m7s

but I think there are unlockable/upgradable moves ala Bayonetta

I take that back! : O

triggaz

Banned
I really hope you get a lot more moves to do in the final game, because with the demo it seems really limited.

That's what I thought watched a youtube clip and there is a lot. I obviously need to learn this game because I was getting my ass whooped. But there is quite a bit of depth there even in the demo just from watching the youtube videos you can see that.

I feel bad that you guys missed out on the ZOE HD collection (which, yes, wasn't up to snuff framerate wise with the PS2 versions, but wasn't even a nuisance. Also, the games looked absolutely beautiful in HD).

I enjoyed playing this demo back in November, but I may download the PS3 one since I bought the 360 ZOE collection.

The PS3 of that collection is poor, ZOE2 couldn't even break 20-25fps in the indoor environment in the beginning. Unfortunately, neither game emulates well either, it seems :( (I hear the 360 version is a lot better.)

But this topic is about Revengeance! I've recently, for the first time, started playing Bayonetta, and I love the absolute hell out of it. It's zany, wacky, stylish, fast, and smooth. I need to go back and play the demo for MGR, but I think I'm on board now because Platinum knows how to do action (which is something everyone else knows, but now I do, too!)

V_Arnold

Platinum games, you are my favorite developer team in the world.

Day 1. I have to go to media boycott mode for the next month, but this game.... damn it. Gaming still lives.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
LOL. Yep. I know which one you are talking about. It is fixed. And we cool, man. We cool. 60fps.

What about those "missing effects" in the PS3 version? Can you say at this point whether they are going to be in the retail game? Don't make me play a slightly worse version of what is probably an amazing game. Platty pls.

Nothing worry about there

"[In the Tokyo Game Show demo] there were some upgrades provided to Raiden, but not too many. We wanted to have the players and fans enjoy Raiden not just as the character you start out with but with the character and cyborg powers that you gain throughout the game," Korekado said.

"The doctor is a key person in the game," he said. "Throughout the game, if you cut enemies' left hands and take them back to the doctor, he'll buy them off you. What happens is you use those as collectibles, as well as items to trade."

Korekado explained that the doctor character in Metal Gear is a mad scientist who is constantly after information about cyborgs and how they interact, so when Raiden brings him his victims' left hands, he rewards Raiden with upgrades –both to his cyborg parts and his weapons.

"Throughout the game, you bump into many bosses, and these bosses have very unique weapons and different kinds of styles and different attack methods," Korekado said. "Now these weapons, as you attack the bosses and move forward, you can buy these weapons from the doctor and use them as your own."

Korekado says the upgrades allow players to define their own play style by deciding which weapons to use and upgrade.

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...g-revengeance-you-can-sell-limbs-for-upgrades

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Do you have to actively choose to cut off enemy hands or do you just get points after each kill? If it's the former, I could see the hand-economy being somewhat at odds with a fast, efficient play style, which is also clearly encouraged by the overall design. I don't want to have to always interrupt my natural flow to specifically cut off an arm. Then again, maybe it becomes second nature with practice.

Gimme that fuckin' demo!

EDIT:

FlashbladeGAF said:

I take that back! : O

yeah I thought the same thing, until JPNGAF posted the vid

mashers can spam medium and heavy while the hardcore can look deeper into the controls and experiment with them

Tried it out. My interest in the game is kinda fading.
The camera is so close to the character that the limited view of the world is bothering me.
I can't cut for sh!t with the analogue sticks, it takes too much time to line the thing up.
Probably not for me, but I should try Bayonetta again just to see if that felt "better".

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So, is the demo the exact same demo that came with ZOE HD?

Tried it out. My interest in the game is kinda fading.
The camera is so close to the character that the limited view of the world is bothering me.
I can't cut for sh!t with the analogue sticks, it takes too much time to line the thing up.
Probably not for me, but I should try Bayonetta again just to see if that felt "better".

I thought the exact same thing. Just keep practicing. When in blade mode you can also use X and Y to chop things up. Not just the analog stick. As I kept practicing I got better at blade mode to the point that I could line things up quickly and do an attack using an analog. This took me almost 2 weeks. But, then I just "got it" and it felt SOOOOOO good.

So, is the demo the exact same demo that came with ZOE HD?

The one I just got from XBL seems to be. I got as far as the two geckos, then quit though.

I thought the exact same thing. Just keep practicing. When in blade mode you can also use X and Y to chop things up. Not just the analog stick. As I kept practicing I got better at blade mode to the point that I could line things up quickly and do an attack using an analog. This took me almost 2 weeks. But, then I just "got it" and it felt SOOOOOO good.

Oh, I'm sure with time and practice things will get better. I just don't know if I'm up to it. It didn't have a pull to keep me going.

Played the demo and canceled the pre-order that I made through the Microsoft Store the other day. After playing DmC this just didn't click with me.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Played the demo and canceled the pre-order that I made through the Microsoft Store the other day. After playing DmC this just didn't click with me.

This reminds me of when I first played God of War right after DMC3 and I really didn't like GOW because I was so used to DMC's design that I couldn't appreciate GOW for what it was. I wonder if that's more likely to happen with this genre than with others.

The game is nothing like DmC and isn't meant to be. I'd give it another shot when DmC is less fresh in your mind. I'm not saying you'll definitely like it then, but you'll be giving it a fairer test. Like cleansing your palette between tastings.

SoilBreak

Banned
heh, us Playstationers will probably have to wait another 12 hours.

ibvPJJuvkxWfqc.gif

On a serious note what was the issue with the demo?

It just didn't click with me. Stylistically and from a combat perspective it felt a bit shallow. The stealth kills are just push a button and watch. The Blade mode mechanic is really cool but I couldn't see myself being wow'd by it for a full campaign.

Daigoro

combat feels similar to Bayonetta. hopefully the enemies will be just as fun to fight against.

slicing a guy up and snatching his spine is righteous.

Top Bottom