• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Post-MGS4, Mr Dec 13) [Kamiya NOT Director, New Info]

daffy

Banned
yeah, plus it doesn't look like it's taking itself seriously. The problem with MGS4 was that all those lines were fucking serious. Like you could tell Kojima was sitting at his laptop with a cigarette thinking he just turned in a masterpiece-script or some shit.
You mean the entire metal gear serie... If you didn't want metal gear looks like this game is for you!

Jigsaw

Banned
rising_ss03ghoda.jpg

that shit looks rough

the fuck?peace walker hd looks better than this

Emo problems? Lawl. There is a whole blank space from him being a ladyboy to him being a badass. Maybe you can explain that but the game didn't. so it is mysterious!

Hypelings in here trying to downplay complaints, gtfo.
No there isn't. We know he has problems with Rose and those problems lead him down the path of becoming a cyborg. He then saves Sunny. That's really all that happens to him during the the gap. Why do we need to be be told what happens in a exetrmley detailed way? We don't because it would most likely be useless info that doesn't add anything to the story. We don't need everything explained to us, we have imaginations. The need for over explanation leads to stuff like PW, nano machines as an explanation for immortality, and whatever the fuck was up with Ocelot.

I mean I liked MGS story a lot more before everything was explained. Things like the Patriots were a lot cooler and I could connect the dots on what was happening to Ocelot, but then come explanations that don't help the story at all.

What do you need to know about the gap for Raiden that wasn't already said in MGS4? What awesome story do you think happen that Kojima did'nt feel the need to mention in 4? Do you honestly think we are going to get a better understanding of the MGS story if they explain it? You think it wont be a further "lets add shit and retcon other shit"?

And he is in no way a badass in MGS4, unless doing crazy shit with no substance in character is your idea of baddass. His entire point in 4 is that he is so sad about Rose and whatever. In MGS2 Raiden is a confused solider unsure of his own reality. Thats a far better character then "JACK IS DEAD" emo Raiden of 4.

You mean the entire metal gear serie... If you didn't want metal gear looks like this game is for you!
Metal Gear Solids 1,2, and 3 do not come close to anything in 4. 1 is a simple action story. 2 is a fascinating story about the idea of control in our technological age. Insane yes, but it is deep thinking and has a lot to say. 3 is n incredibly personal story. 4 is shit.

benzy

So what happened to the real MGS:R, you know, the one where I could cut graphically wonderful watermelons in 101 different ways?

It was just a tech demo and they couldn't make a proper game out of it.

Would have preferred to see them use the engine still, but I guess it wasn't designed to allow over the top action fights they're going for now.

Zen

Banned
Because it's dumb, like everything in MGS4. Rising looks stupid, but having stupid lines like "my sword is justice blah blah" shouldn't bother any MGS fan at all.

I already explained the difference, I don't care about you own personal preference for what is a benchmark that a fan should or should be allowed to be embarrassed by.

Damn according the KP Report they had the original story (between 2 & 4) all planned out but when Platinum came on board they made the writer throw it all out because it restricted Platinum too much. So they set it after MGS4 to give them freedom.

Tigel

I'm kind of disappointed that we won't ever know what happened between MGS2 and MGS4 with Raiden rescuing Sunny from the Patriots :(

ElyrionX

Wait so the original Rising is gone and this new one takes over?

Also, mother of god, Platinum + MGS. Is this real life?

love 1-3, they're corny too but I still loved them. 4 just went for broke though.

And yeah Rising will be the best in the series since 3. BELIEVE. Platinum games is the lighting in the rain.

Averon

Damn according the KP Report they had the original story (between 2 & 4) all planned out but when Platinum came on board they made the writer throw it all out because it restricted Platinum too much. So they set it after MGS4 to give them freedom.

If true, this sounds like a mess narratively.

jackdoe

Seriously. Why make it a sequel then? If you want to give them ultimate freedom, just make it as canon as Metal Gear Acid.

Zen

Banned
He was captured by the Patriots and experimented on, a lot more happened between 2 and 4 than 'he saved Sunny', there's a lot of material there to work with. Hell one of the complaints of 4 was it felt like there was an entire game missing between it and MGS2.

Here's what happened: he rescued Sunny from the Patriots.

No it's not. Sure that's something that happened, but between 2 and 4, Raiden did many things that are stated in the timeline, before being captured and turned into a cyborg. If you don't think that watching a character deal with the erosion of their humanity would have provided a more interested story that "MY SWORD IS JUSTICE! TIME TO GO SLASH SHIT AND ACT LIKE MGS4 NEVER HAPPENED!" then there's no hope for you.

Don

Setting it after MGS4 is a bit weird considering how Raiden's story was resolved in that game and I still would have liked to see a bit of post-MGS2/pre-ninja Raiden, but it's not really a big deal.

The stuff on the site says that the reason for setting it after MGS4 is so that Platinum has more freedom with the story they want to tell which makes me think that it will be more of a standalone story with mostly new characters (other than Raiden) instead of trying to squeeze in a bunch of old characters to make it fit in with the existing story.

I guess that changing the title from Metal Gear Solid game to Metal Gear Rising could also leaves room to spin this off as it's own thing like with the Ac!d series.

What did he do? I didn't watch the show.

Nerves and the fact that English isn't is natural language is what happened. He just couldn't transition to certain words smoothly and ended up stopping and apologizing to the crowd. He tried again, but fumbled the transition again and then apologized a few times. People starting cheering him and the Rising producer started clapping support and Kojima tried again to say the proper word and finally he worked it out and finished up.

It all looked like it was in good fun but unfortunately, Kojima is probably pretty bothered by that. You never want to "mess" up in front of a crowd, your peers and on national television. His tweet would indicate that he feels bad now. Poor guy... I know exactly how it feels to get up in front of a bunch of people (159+ to be rough) and fumble your words. It would be even worse to be speaking in a language you are still learning in front hundreds and on T.V. Although, his "can not go back to Japan" is probably in joking silly jest, but you never know.

I would've liked if he just spoke in Japanese and had a translator. Probably would've been more comfortable for him and easier for the audience to understand (I didn't have a problem though).

Don't worry Kojima!

Neiteio

I think the "high heels" Raiden wears are shock absorbers to allow him to fall from great heights without taking damage. Also, as has been noted, they act as prehensile thumbs for sword-fighting with his feet.

Anyway.

I just love the fact "Revengeance" is in the title. It's such a silly word that it invites immediate scorn from anyone with a basic grasp of English. Kojima doesn't know any better; he rikes it and haters gonna hate. Exudes confidence, that subtitle. Added +100 charm to the game.

But yeah, why the fuck are they bothering trying to fit this into the Metal Gear storyline. Especially after MGS4. I see how it's liberating in many respects (namely, cyborgs being the new hotness now that nanomachines are the old and busted), but as others have pointed out... He was a normal human again at the end of MGS4.

So much for the touching conclusion to that particular character arc. They just couldn't let Raiden bow out gracefully while Johnny and Meryl had their cheese-tacular wedding, could they?

I already explained the difference, I don't care about you own personal preference for what is a benchmark that a fan should or should be allowed to be embarrassed by.

Apparently you care enough to keep on replying. Your complainong about corny lines in a series where a main character who poops a lot has a marraige proposal scene ripped from those pirate movies while an oldman goes through a microwave. And that oldmans "father" fought a Bee man.

It just sounds stupid to complain about.

Who cares if it's a metaphor. The line is still extremely corny. Does making it a metaphor change anything? No. Can you really argue that it isn't? Its said in a corny way during a situation where saying anything would be corny.

ElyrionX

Just saw the trailer.

Ummm, very poorly edited trailer and the voice acting was horrendous. Though the gameplay looks underwhelming as well, after Bayonetta, I'll give Platinum the benefit of the doubt.

Doomrider

I just heard the latest KojiPro podcast someone linked to and it's confirmed Kamiya is not the director. The actual director will be announced later on.

Zen

Banned
Apparently you care enough to keep on replying. Your complainong about corny lines in a series where a main character who poops a lot has a marraige proposal scene ripped from those pirate movies while an oldman goes through a microwave. And that oldmans "father" fought a Bee man.

It just sounds stupid to complain about.

Who cares if it's a metaphor or not. The line is still extremely corny. Can you really argue that it isn't? Its said in a corny way during a situation where saying anything would be corny.

You seem incapable of grasping context. Sure, it's corny. It's not Metal Gear Rising: REVENGACE corny. Unless you want to talk with everyone that has said that this trailer turns the typical MGS corniness up to 11. Just because people had a certain preference for a certain balance of qualities, doesn't mean that they should be ok when that ratio is shifted along with a general downgrade in other qualities of the formula, because you think they should be ok with it.

I just figured "oh, Raiden's working for Philanthropy" when they said "No affiliation!" or whatever. I never actually played MGS4, so I have no idea whether that's possible (nor do I care tbh, but it'd be cool to have Otacon as the voice in Raiden's ear)

Averon

Nerves and the fact that English isn't is natural language is what happened. He just couldn't transition to certain words smoothly and ended up stopping and apologizing to the crowd. He tried again, but fumbled the transition again and then apologized a few times. People starting cheering him and the Rising producer started clapping support and Kojima tried again to say the proper word and finally he worked it out and finished up.

It all looked like it was in good fun but unfortunately, Kojima is probably pretty bothered by that. You never want to "mess" up in front of a crowd, your peers and on national television. He feels bad now. Poor guy... I know exactly how it feels to get up in front of a bunch of people and fumble your words. It would be even worse to be speaking in a language you are still learning.

I would've liked if he just spoke in Japanese and had a translator. Probably would've been more comfortable for him and easier for the audience to understand (I didn't have a problem though).

Don't worry Kojima!

Oh man. I know how Kojima feels. I totally bombed my Spanish cultural presentation final in front of my class last week.

You seem incapable of grasping context.

You incapable of making an argument, but go on defend a terrible line. I guess being a metaphor makes it better. Do you even know the context of the situation? Does Raiden really need a shiity line to pep up his spirit? No he probably didn't and Snake probably didn't need some deep metaphor. A simple "you can do it" would be much more natural.

NeoUltima

The story:

Vamps brother (enemy in trailer) kills Rose to get revenge for Vamp's death.
Then Raiden goes on a mission to kill Vamp's brother to avenge Rose.

Revengeance.

daffy

Banned
No there isn't. We know he has problems with Rose and those problems lead him down the path of becoming a cyborg. He then saves Sunny. That's really all that happens to him during the the gap. Why do we need to be be told what happens in a exetrmley detailed way? We don't because it would most likely be useless info that doesn't add anything to the story. We don't need everything explained to us, we have imaginations. The need for over explanation leads to stuff like PW, nano machines as an explanation for immortality, and whatever the fuck was up with Ocelot.

I mean I liked MGS story a lot more before everything was explained. Things like the Patriots were a lot cooler and I could connect the dots on what was happening to Ocelot, but then come explanations that don't help the story at all.

What do you need to know about the gap for Raiden that wasn't already said in MGS4? What awesome story do you think happen that Kojima did'nt feel the need to mention in 4? Do you honestly think we are going to get a better understanding of the MGS story if they explain it? You think it wont be a further "lets add shit and retcon other shit"?

And he is in no way a badass in MGS4, unless doing crazy shit with no substance in character is your idea of baddass. His entire point in 4 is that he is so sad about Rose and whatever. In MGS2 Raiden is a confused solider unsure of his own reality. Thats a far better character then "JACK IS DEAD" emo Raiden of 4.

We don't even know why he became a cyborg? I mean, when I break up I don't lock myself away, convert my blood and develop ninja skills. We dont even know how he somehow infiltrated the all seeing eye of the patriots and rescued sunny, or any of the stuff she and him went through .I also would like a bit more info into his child soldier back-story, but i can do without it.

If you dont want detailed explanations why are you even playing metal gear, its like what it's known for. that and stealth, which I can't even imagine being a thing anymore. I like all the stuff Kojima put in, you can latch onto rising if you want but it's nothing in the trailer made me think oh that's metal gear. Except jack's voice right before the last bit.

MrDaravon

Just saw the trailer.

Ummm, very poorly edited trailer and the voice acting was horrendous. Though the gameplay looks underwhelming as well, after Bayonetta, I'll give Platinum the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty much this for me. I don't really give a fuck what it's like story-wise that much (although placing it after MGS4 literally makes no sense), but the gameplay didn't look that great in this yet and graphics were rough for sure (as seen in the HD shots) and I thought the voice acting was terrible, and not in a haha campy way. I'm pretty confident that Platinum will put out a good game at the end of the day though for sure.

Also the font is super terrible. And I can't decide if Revengence is incredibly terrible or funny.

Top Bottom