• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Post-MGS4, Mr Dec 13) [Kamiya NOT Director, New Info]

entremet

It has to be Vamp.

They played that whole Raiden/Vamp rival theme in MGS4. Damn, KojiPro, you're killing your flagship franchise with this stupidity.

It's definitely him.

Guyver

VpVAj.gif

mgs4-vamp.jpg

The original guy that vamp was cloned from?? e.g Big boss = Solid Snake

Slurmer

Banned
i stopped "caring" about metal gear's story after MGS4, so this being a prequel, sequel, or anything else doesn't affect me at all. game looks fun.

Why is it still a Metal Gear game, then? Seriously, if they're going to take such a drastic direction, why not make a totally new franchise?
Brand recognition. Yoshi's first solo(ish) game on the SNES was called Super Mario World 2, after all. Same with Wario Land/Super Mario Land 3.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Why is it still a Metal Gear game, then? Seriously, if they're going to take such a drastic direction, why not make a totally new franchise?

But Konami probably wants all of their franchises to no longer be what they've been. Suikoden, Silent Hill, and Castlevania are all notable examples with their more recent entries.

Because it is their game/series and can name it what they want? Why does the name even matter so much?

The original guy that vamp was cloned from?? e.g Big boss = Solid Snake

I'd be fine with that as long as the character is noticeably different from Vamp. Right now, that seems to be the case. He seems more like a troll that wants to party rather than an emo vampire that wants to die.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Because it is their game/series and can name it what they want? Why does the name even matter so much?
Because this Revengeance creation is a clear representation of trying to sell an orange as an apple. Platinum Games makes good fast-paced, stylish, action games. KojiPro makes good MGS games that are more about sustenance and story.

This game has Platinum Games' mark all over it. Of course, it will likely be an awesome action game with lots of flash and style. It will not, however, be a good MGS game. So why bother keeping up with the pretense?

daffy

Banned
So the next Super Mario could be an third person shooter and no one would care? SMH. You know there are expectations carried through brand names. Even as an action game they should retain at least something. People don't expect terrible stories from Metal Gear like they do for Platinum Games. They are at least competent.

Raiden must be able to put on his cyborg suit as easy as a pair of pants.

Or it's something else lame like a clone, son or sunny. A pre-patriots war could be interesting, but I'm not sure whether extending the drama beyond MGS4 is a good thing, even with a team as talented as PG.

Kinyou

Or it's something else lame like a clone, son or sunny. A pre-patriots war could be interesting, but I'm not sure whether extending the drama beyond MGS4 is a good thing, even with a team as talented as PG.
Just saw off his arms/legs and exchange his blood with artificial one and you're good to go.

Midou

It's probably just about cutting shit up though.

NeoUltima

So...they decided to scrap whatever engine Rising was running on. Now the original Rising guys are working on Fox Engine related stuff instead.

But Konami didn't want to just cancel Rising. Investors would not be happy if a Metal Gear game got canned. Platinum Games offered a solution: they make great action games in a relatively short time span. KJP conceded to let the game be post-MGS4 (and other design choices) to hurry up production as soon as possible. They had to appease Platinum, otherwise there may be no Rising and investors would be pissed.

I suppose that was the thought process behind this decision.

maeda

Cool, now the game has a chance of having decent gameplay. And Platinum will have their fist multimillion seller. Would be cool if Kamiya was directing the game.

yo where is the source for there being no PC version? Don't see it in the OP, checked a few mainstream sites and wikipedia and they have not changed it. Right now I'm only seeing it in the OPs title.

So...they decided to scrap whatever engine Rising was running on. Now the original Rising guys are working on Fox Engine related stuff instead.

But Konami didn't want to just cancel Rising. Investors would not be happy if a Metal Gear game got canned. Platinum Games offered a solution: they make great action games in a relatively short time span.

I suppose that was the thought process behind this decision.

I don't think that's what happened. On the new KP Report they said that development of actual game part of Rising had stalled, so Kojima stopped production. He then invited Platinum to see what the Rising team had done so far (maybe to offer advice?). Platinum had a bunch of ideas, and they must of been way better than what the original team had cause Kojima decided it would be better if they handled the game design part. They pretty much threw out most of what KP had done so far and created a new game. They even made the writers change the story because it being set between 2 & 4 restricted them too much. From the podcast it sounded like KP are letting Platinum do whatever they want.

Mik2121

Cool, now the game has a chance of having decent gameplay. And Platinum will have their fist multimillion seller. Would be cool if Kamiya is directing the game.

Not so fast. Not as many people is interested in this game as in any of the main series titles.
I guess they will sell over 2m 360+PS3 but not by much. That's, of course, if the game isn't limited to Kinect and Move. If it is (I've not been following the news related to this game), then probably less than that.

maeda

Just watched the trailer!!! Holy shit!!! This game encompasses the best from Bayo and Vanquish. Such a step up from the trash that KP showed in the reveal trailer!
Edit:
Not so fast. Not as many people is interested in this game as in any of the main series titles.
I guess they will sell over 1m 360+PS3 but not by much. That's, of course, if the game isn't limited to Kinect and Move. If it is (I've not been following the news related to this game), then probably less than that.
It's MG, it's multiplatform. If Konami doesn't screw the release date it is a given it will sell at least 2 millions worldwide

I guess they will sell over 1m 360+PS3 but not by much. That's, of course, if the game isn't limited to Kinect and Move. If it is (I've not been following the news related to this game), then probably less than that.

I really don't think you can call any of this. I mean what are you basing an of this on?

Sucks that Kojima bombed the speech. Only thing I could make out was, "Oreo game" and "so sorry". Poor guy...

Trailer looked dope though and I'm super pumped for the game. Weird to hear the mixed reactions about Platinum developing it. But then again...This is GAF. Didn't they say that this game was going to be way more action based compared to the previous games? I mean.....what better developer could you have doing it? Platinum games are the best at the action genre.

Teknoman

Platinum Games? Hell yeah, no one should be mad about Platinum Games developing an action game with swords and cyborgs.

Mik2121

Just watched the trailer!!! Holy shit!!! This game encompasses the best from Bayo and Vanquish. Such a step up from the trash that KP showed in the reveal trailer!
Edit:
It's MG, it's multiplatform. If Konami doesn't screw the release date it is a given it will sell at least 2 million worldwide
That's what worries me, Konami screwing something related to this game, and this kind of action games not being as popular. I think saying just 1m was too low, sorry. Guess I should have said 2m+

I really don't think you can call any of this. I mean what are you basing an of this on?

Oh, nothing. It's just my guess. Other titles like Vanquish or Bayonetta didn't sell exactly well, and while this game will definitely sell better because it's Metal Gear, I just wonder how many people will buy it because of that, even without being part of the main series (ie. Metal Gear Solid 5 (or 6 if you consider PW to be MGS5))

Top Bottom