• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenbatsu

sinnergy said:
Don't you guys always so Eurogamer is spot on? So what's the problem now?

It's just someones opinion...

8 is still a great score imo.
They also gave MGS3 an 8 so its consistent I suppose.

BeeDog

:lol :lol At people getting all riled up. You guys KNOW that this is a game you'll love to death and play to death, so why does the score matter so much? The same shit is going on with Ninja Gaiden II, those fanboys sure are like this too.

sinnergy

Kagari said:
It's almost like... they didn't even appreciate being able to play the game early...

Why would they? They need to be unbiased? Or does playing the game early mean it have to score sky high? Like some kind of bribe?

Anyway this caught my eye:

(Take note, however, that there are several minutes of install time to be endured, not just at the start, but before each act - albeit graced with a fantastic animated graphic of Snake smoking next to some health warnings.)

Could some shed some light on this about how long these would take?

Also, I am buying this game day one.. seems awesome to me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Whats this I'm reading about Multiple Install instances?

Take note, however, that there are several minutes of install time to be endured, not just at the start, but before each act - albeit graced with a fantastic animated graphic of Snake smoking next to some health warnings.)

Xtyle

I am however a little worried about the gameplay length...some reviews are stating there is 50/50 cutscene, gameplay ratio...that's worrying if the game is 29 hours long...that makes about 15 hours of gameplay. That's a little more than mgs3 gameplay time though..

Yoboman

I usually like Eurogamer, but jeez "We love you, Snake. Don't come back." Sounds like they're begging for hits

BeeDog said:
:lol :lol At people getting all riled up. You guys KNOW that this is a game you'll love to death and play to death, so why does the score matter so much? The same shit is going on with Ninja Gaiden II, those fanboys sure are like this too.

I don't really care about the score. The quote I posted above is what basically sums up what a joke Eurogamer is as a site. It's right up there with Games Radar's ridiculous comment about Ninja Gaiden fans.

scoobs

bigben85 said:
I am however a little worried about the gameplay length...some reviews are stating there is 50/50 cutscene, gameplay ratio...that's worrying if the game is 29 hours long...that makes about 15 hours of gameplay. That's a little more than mgs3 gameplay time though..

15 hours is PLENTY of game for me, I don't know what you were expecting but any game longer than about 15-20 hours, I never finish.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
bigben85 said:

There's around 9 hours of cutscenes and most reviews are saying it takes ~30 hours to beat.

Yoboman said:
I usually like Eurogamer, but jeez "We love you, Snake. Don't come back." Sounds like they're begging for hits

They seriously say that? I thought it was just the previous poster paraphrasing.

Wow. :lol

Mromson

People ask why other care about some dumb review score. But it's simply because I, like many other want the game to be justified to others. We want the game to sell. Cause if a game doesn't sell, there won't be a sequel.

For all my wallet cares, though - MGS4 could get 0/10 and be a text based PS3 game. I'd still buy it.

Yoboman

bigben85 said:
There's 8 hours of cutscenes in the game, so I wouldn't be too worried about that

Xtyle

scoobs said:
15 hours is PLENTY of game for me, I don't know what you were expecting but any game longer than about 15-20 hours, I never finish.

Hey same here as well.
But MGS, no matter how long it is..I will finish. And the more the better to me...because I love it.

bigben85 said:

The P:TOM review says there's 20 hours of gameplay.

Mromson

bigben85 said:
I beat MGS3 in 2hrs >_>

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Mromson said:
People ask why other care about some dumb review score. But it's simply because I, like many other want the game to be justified to others. We want the game to sell. Cause if a game doesn't sell, there won't be a sequel.

For all my wallet cares, though - MGS4 could get 0/10 and be a text based PS3 game. I'd still buy it.
Yeah same here, as a fan of the game, I'd hope for it to have the best perception possible.

God forgive me for ever trying to make this thread before you.

Seriously. I bow on my knees and beg your forgiveness. Just say the word and I will be permabanned.

Mash

SolidSnakex said:
No, there are people who like to kiss Eurogamers ass because of their constant attempts at humor while they rail against stuff. I'm not one of them.

Guys, 8/10 is good no need to damn Eurogamer to hell over it.

GhaleonQ

I do love Eurogamer's reviews, but I don't understand why some are mad. This barely registers as negative. It's a glorious, barely-orchestrated mess, but a spectacle. It's audacious, unparalleled in most areas, and clueless in others. It's a must-play 8/10. That pretty much sums up Metal Gear for me.

Lakitu

st5fu
SolidSnakex said:
People aren't "damning" them to hell over the score, it's the actual text (as it should be) that people don't like.

Spot on. 8/10 is reasonable, but the text is ridiculous. Especially the ending.

Yoboman

Mash said:
I think an 8/10 is good, but from what I read of the review, it sounded like a typical "look how we can poke holes in a great game, all whilst being smarmy about it"

Mromson

Mash said:
NEVER!

8/10 is downgrading for the awesomeness of MGS4! They change it to 9/10 and I'll reconsider banning that site from my PC.

elcapitan

Let's bitch after we've all played the game, cried ourselves to sleep, and justify how utterly and completely wrong the negative reviews are.:D

BeeDog said:
its still amusing to see some of the comments at the end of those reviews where some smart-ass says "oh well there goes my reason to get MGS4 now.....i'll probably wait for FF13 to buy PS3" lol who are those trolls tryin to kid?? :lol

Yoboman

BlueTsunami said:
Whats this I'm reading about Multiple Install instances?
I suppose multiple short ones between acts is a bit more fluid than one big long one before ever starting the game

Problem is, how can you prepare a sandwich like that?

Mromson

BeeDog said:
Now let's wait for the Gamespot review; it will be another rollercoaster! WEEEE!
GameSpot pretty much HAS to give MGS4 a low score. If only to rally up any site traffic. :lol

DieH@rd

Banned
eurogamer review closing comments:

-------
You're sorry to see Snake go. But should you be? Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it. It just burrows deeper into what fans love and detractors hate than ever before, and it will make few converts. It's a crying shame, given how many genuinely classic gaming moments there are here, given the countless exquisite creative touches, but Metal Gear Solid 4 is its own worst enemy. You could not ask for a funnier, cleverer, more ambitious or inspired or over-the-top conclusion to the Metal Gear Solid series, but it's definitely time to move on.

We love you, Snake. Don't come back.

8/10
-------

Yoboman said:
I suppose multiple short ones between acts is a bit more fluid than one big long one before ever starting the game

Problem is, how can you prepare a sandwich like that?
Lunchables-Crop.jpg

Yoboman

GhaleonQ said:
I do love Eurogamer's reviews, but I don't understand why some are mad. This barely registers as negative. It's a glorious, barely-orchestrated mess, but a spectacle. It's audacious, unparalleled in most areas, and clueless in others. It's a must-play 8/10. That pretty much sums up Metal Gear for me.
Clueless about what though? I read the whole review, and the gist of it seemed to be that they think cutscenes detract from everything else/ And how's this for a beauty:

"Its involved, conspiratorial plotting, its arch sense of humour, its demanding stealth gameplay, its sprawling cinematic ambition, its preposterous stylishness and pretensions toward artistic weightMillions hate it for exactly the same reasons."

MILLIONS hate it?:lol

Nailing down precisely how much gameplay there is in the game is harder than most games, pretty much impossible, seeing as there's so much optional things to experiment with in this series, and wildly varying ways to play.

I tend to listen to the more generous estimations, because I know I'm personally going to play this game slowly. I'm gonna sneak, I'm gonna gawk, I'm gonna toy with the AI, I'm going to test all the weapons and gear, I'm going for tons of optional context-sensitive Codec conversations, I'm gonna explore, I'm gonna be a ghost, not gung-ho...

BeeDog

Reading the excerpts from the Eurogamer review, I can start to understand those who are critical of EG's writing. It sure does sound like they're bitter about something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just read the OP... I said holy shit...

Also, it's pretty pathetic that I'm not going to read any other posts in this thread just to be safe :( See you guys 14:th June :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom