• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino1980

bundles1.jpg

Is the european bundle correct?

Thought it was 40gb with sixaxis.

10 Presentation
From the opening videos to the end credits, the attention to detail throughout Guns of the Patriots is astonishing, setting new standards for production values in games.
10 Graphics
The visuals in MGS 4 are as cutting-edge as you can rightfully expect from the latest videogame blockbuster, boasting as much style as technical expertise.
10 Sound
The surround sound effects are stunning, having actual in-game effects, from using birdsong to detect enemies to choosing your own tunes.
10 Gameplay
Guns of the Patriots is the definitive MGS, taking stealth mechanics to new heights and throwing in so much more that you just have to discover it for yourself.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Aside from the fact that the cut-scenes bear repeated viewing, you’ll want to play through MGS 4 again and again, simply to unlock ever more exotic weapons and items and player rankings – not to menti

Not to mention what?!?! :p

Blablurn said:
oh come on, ign...
9.9??

cooome on. just give the game a perfect 10 and everything is alright.

IGN UK. Always have tough scoring.
IGN US will give it 11/10 :p

Seriously though: -0.1 for long cutscene is like saying "-0.1 for Sonic being too fast".

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Long skippable cutscenes :lol

Is all good, I'm diggin the excerpt in the "Lasting Appeal" category, mainly about the multiple playthroughs

Flunkie

Banned
9.9 is the most that MGS4 was going to get - there's no way IGN would ever dish out two tens within a month.

That's still a great score, regardless.

I only read the closing comments and the breakdown of the scores as I don't want to risk spoilering myself. Tell me guys, how spoiler-heavy is the review?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlockBastard said:
I only read the closing comments and the breakdown of the scores as I don't want to risk spoilering myself. Tell me guys, how spoiler-heavy is the review?

Not very.

scoobs

BlockBastard said:

Not at all.

flunkie4455 said:
9.9 is the most that MGS4 was going to get - there's no way IGN would ever dish out two tens within a month.

That's still a great score, regardless.

Yep. Also considering MGS1 is my fav game and this gets 0.1 more than MGS1, this will automatically become BADASS TO THE EXTREME!!

just to get it in perspective, this was scored by a different guy from GTA IV, so no need to pursue that path.

Can't wait for this game..

BlockBastard said:

Slight spoilerish review IMO. The reviewer reveals 3 or 4 sub-genres of gameplay that I had no clue was in the game. While the info was very cool and something to look fwd to, i'd rather have no known about it to discover on my own.

scoobs

psycho_snake said:
9.9? Thats unlucky :lol

Who cares though. 9.9 is pretty much a perfect score.

It is... anything above 9 should be instant-purchase anyways. 9.5.-9.9 is basically a 10 in my eyes.

Kagari said:
Not very.

Aces, reading now.

Slight spoilerish review IMO. The reviewer reveals 3 or 4 sub-genres of gameplay that I had no clue was in the game. While the info was very cool and something to look fwd to, i'd rather have no known about it to discover on my own.

Damn, well, ugh. Thanks.

Scarecrow

Anyone remember that one GFW radio where Shawn Elliot makes fun of that one guy for freaking out about the wait for the Halo 3 gamespot review? I feel just like that guy right now. This release is a culmination of awesome. I cannot wait.

SamuraiX-

EL OH FUCKING EL @ the 9.9 from IGN UK. :lol :lol

Why don't you deck points for Link being required to rescue the damn princess again in the next Zelda game? XD

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
ya know im not gonna start but they should have docked GTA4 for that whack as user interface, cell phone.

Im sorry.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The writer for this review was fantastic. You don't really see good writing like this in game journalism often. It's written by a human, not a robot. It's stylish, it's smart, and has its own voice.

And for god's sakes, he used the words chutzpah and pastiche!

hope this hasnt been posted yet.....
CVG's PSM online blog basically says DONT FALL FOR THE UNJUST HYPE OF MGS4 :lol

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189843&site=psm&skip=yes

Hello, Early reviews for MGS4 are creeping out on the internet and, like GTAIV, it's another near-perfect whitewash. "Without a doubt, one of the greatest games of all time", screams US magazine Gamepro, "Every once in a long time, a game will come along that changes all the rules... and MGS4's potential influence on the current state of gaming is nothing short of tectonic". Exciting? Yes. Accurate? No - it's total bullshit.

We've finished MGS4. Twice. And while it's an incredible achievement, it's no more a seismic leap for games, than GTAIV was from GTA: San Andreas, or GTA3. It's merely - and we say this with a hefty pinch of salt - a wonderful next-gen polishing of a largely last-gen experience. The gameplay mechanics - while surely the series' most polished - are instantly recognisable, and despite reasonably freeform opening levels, it's not a shock reimagining of the series. 'Shocking' or 'tectonic' gameplay would have been fully destructible levels with truly 'nowhere to hide', as once billed. Or *huge* open world crowds where you need to use disguise, or body language, or real voice reading via an audio mic, to blend in seamlessly - but despite some excellent stealth sections, MGS4's best efforts are 'only' a polishing of MGS3's camouflage-led jungle sneaking; bar an unexpected, if fairly linear, stealth episode half-way through.

To use a recent example, was GTA4 everything you'd been promised by 99% of the world's media? As incredible as it is/was - probably not. Folk were falling over themselves to award it perfect 100%, or 10/10, scores, setting expectations at ridiculous levels. Amazingly, our score of 96% was the world's lowest for a number of weeks, which truly beggars belief.

We're not saying MGS4 isn't brilliant - it clearly is - but temper those expectations with reality. While its individual components are hard to fault, the bigger question is whether it holds together as a whole - and that's an issue we'll attempt to resolve in our review, in PSM102, on-sale next Thursday. Truth is, MGS4 is so complex, nuanced and indulgent, it's too early to say whether it's the work of genius or madness, or - most accurately - both. The trick's whether Kojima's got the balance right from scene-to-scene.

One thing's sure: MGS4's certainly the most interesting game of 2008, and while we only know a select few who've finished it, we've already had in-depth, half-hour minimum, heated debates with all of them about what the game truly means. And, in fairness, we're one of the most dissenting voices - despite thinking MGS4 is incredible.

Can't wait to find out what you think of it - we'll kick off the debate in a forthcoming issue, with amazing prizes for those who can provide the most accurate description of its themes/worth. *Amazing* prizes - if not 'tectonic' - but you'll see. With just over two weeks to UK launch, the countdown has begun.

What are you curently thinking about MGS4?

W.O.W

did they just say largely LAST GEN experience? wtf...:lol

they want all those features in this game.....but how many years do they want this game to be in dev for?

im not exactly sure what these people were expecting from this game....but it
sounds like preemptive damage control for a low 9/10 score from PSM3/CVG lol

forget what they say, this game will be EPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom