• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Izick

Man im so unhyped for this.
From the voice situation to the stupid looking horn thing.

Sad to because Metal Gear is my favorite series and MG2:SS, MGS1
are my #1 & 2 games of all time.

While your choice in games is phenomenal, I think you should wait and see.

I'm bummed about the Hayter stuff too, but I still think Kojima can deliver. It won't be the same though when that white text pops up and it doesn't say:

SNAKE {David Hayter)

I'm still going to keep an open mind though.

SolidSnake305

Neo Member
I have to agree I think Solid Snake will appear in this game some way. I know he is only 12 in 1984 but that doesn't stop Kojima from taking MGS V from 1984 and moving forward in time to 1995 before the Outer Heaven incident, where Solid Snake is 23 years old.

Izick

I mean they have to eventually run up to Solid Snake's adventures in Outer Heaven. I mean there's only so much ground you can cover at this point between where MGS V takes place and then. I'm sure they could get a few more games out of that time period, but would they really even want to?

Not to mention I don't think we'd see a game (traditional game at least, not a spin-off or side-project like Rising) take place after MGS 4, unless it was a full reboot or something along those lines with some minor ties to past characters and stories.

While your choice in games is phenomenal, I think you should wait and see.

I'm bummed about the Hayter stuff too, but I still think Kojima can deliver. It won't be the same though when that white text pops up and it doesn't say:

SNAKE {David Hayter)

I'm still going to keep an open mind though.

If I can ignore the Hayter thing I still just need to see more to get some hype.
right now it just seems so different that I don't know what to expect, while all the past games I pretty much new what I wanted and expected.
hopefully the trailer will be a good long classic style MGS trailer.
Its kinda funny that I thought the Whale & Unicorn were interesting but the second I saw that horn...

I have loved every game in the series so in the end I doubt I will dislike this one.

Mr. RHC

I mean they have to eventually run up to Solid Snake's adventures in Outer Heaven. I mean there's only so much ground you can cover at this point between where MGS V takes place and then. I'm sure they could get a few more games out of that time period, but would they really even want to?

Not to mention I don't think we'd see a game (traditional game at least, not a spin-off or side-project like Rising) take place after MGS 4, unless it was a full reboot or something along those lines with some minor ties to past characters and stories.

I like the idea I read about months ago, I altered it a little bit: After the credits of MGSV, there is the intro music of Metal Gear MSX, then text appears on a black screen, with 8 bit typing sound: "Infiltrate the enemy fortress, Outer Heaven, and destroy Metal Gear, the final weapon."

Then, in glorious Fox Engine graphics, you see a character rising from the water, epic orchestral music kicks in and the close-up face of a high res young Solid Snake is revealed saying:

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

----

Metal Gear: re-enVIsoned

Izick

If I can ignore the Hayter thing I still just need to see more to get some hype.
right now it just seems so different that I don't know what to expect, while all the past games I pretty much new what I wanted and expected.
hopefully the trailer will be a good long classic style MGS trailer.
Its kinda funny that I thought the Whale & Unicorn were interesting but the second I saw that horn...

I have loved every game in the series so in the end I doubt I will dislike this one.

That's good to hear. I agree that it's going to be difficult getting past the Hayter omission. I too have enjoyed all of the entries in the series, and I like where Kojima is going with experimenting with the open-world style, so I'm pretty excited.

I think there's a genius and craft to creating levels around the stealth mechanics; each room in MGS 2 for example feels unique, and there's definitely right and wrong ways to tackle things depending on what you want from the game. It also reminds me of playing a good platformer at times; you can attack levels in different ways, but each part of the gmae feels uniquely design to challenge the player's ability to use stealth in a specific way.

I like the idea I read about months ago, I altered it a little bit: After the credits of MGSV, there is the intro music of Metal Gear MSX, then text appears on a black screen, with 8 bit typing sound: "Infiltrate the enemy fortress, Outer Heaven, and destroy Metal Gear, the final weapon."

Then, in glorious Fox Engine graphics, you see a character rising from the water, epic orchestral music kicks in and the close-up face of a high res young Solid Snake is revealed saying:

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

----

Metal Gear: re-enVIsoned

Yes, this is what I want. I think those MSX games are rich with possibilities for recreation with modern graphics and storytelling by Kojima. Not to mention it would likely be the next logical step from the time period(s) MGS V allegedly takes in.

RavenH2

Earlier today I pointed out that:

I've been thinking... in the first trailer we saw, the one titled "The Phamton Pain", we clearly heard Ismael saying "On your feet soldier" when he picks up BB...

So... Keifer is both BB and Ismael, and that corroborates that Ismael is a part of his mind?

Are they different characters and there's a chance Hayter will be back?

Thoughts?

So maybe, Keifer is in as BB, but we get to see a child soldier (also mentioned in the Ground Zeroes footage) being trained by BB (with hayters voice), who turns out to be snake...

On the other hand, BB can have two voices, one as Hayter when he's bent on revenge... and one as Keifer/Ismael when he's trying to reason... (or the other way around)...

I would love a recreation of the MSX games as well, and Hayter may appear as many pointed out....

Also, we don't know how many years does the game cover... perhaps the "open world" means not everything happens the same day/month/year....

But instead we get to see BB become hell bent on revenge throughout the years, as he trains a young Snake???

Guess, we'll find out in the trailer when it's realeased...

And yes, I agree, if the games end's with the Metal Gear intro reimagined would be awsome...

x Maiku x

It's really too bad these games don't have Japanese voice track options outside of Japan. More people deserve to hear the original, superior Snake.

I don't think that the website update excludes it showing up at a conference. That's just when they're confirming their own official update of direct feed material. At this point, I think if they're showing up at either of the conferences, they probably want to keep it a surprise, so they won't be announcing it in advance.

Yeah, you're right. At the time of that post, I didn't see the Kojima tweet about showing a "long" version of the PV to some people yesterday. I assume that means a short version will show up at a press conference, and the long version goes up online the next day.

jett

D-Member
It's really too bad these games don't have Japanese voice track options outside of Japan. More people deserve to hear the original, superior Snake.

I think most people have.

Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

2013-06-0723_12_53-vidruqn.png

Ugh the wait is killing me...

False chain/spiral, creation of the BIG BOSS clones or the spiral of evil spawned by Patriots... MGS5 will arrive on nextgen 100%.

100%

In the interview when Keighley ask him about PS4 he has such a big smile on his face.

2013-06-0723_17_37-vipmu1f.png

I hate GT's videoplayer so much.

Batzi

Banned
YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

2013-06-0723_12_53-vidruqn.png

Ugh the wait is killing me...

100%

In the interview when Keighley ask him about PS4 he has such a big smile on his face.

Yesterday Kojima tweeted and teased a poster that will be featured at E3. I noticed that the poster color and art on it look very similar to the PS4 advertisement. So I decided to put them together and this is what I got:

8884_10200716613291956_1408621345_n.jpg

I think it is going to be a PS4 exclusive as far as next-gen goes. You can see a "T" on the far left, this is most likely coming from the title "The Phantom Pain".

Ask yourself this question, why would anyone wanna tease a poster if they weren't hiding something? We already know the name of the game and its tagline(Tactical Espionage Operations) so why is he still hiding it then? Exactly...

Yesterday Kojima tweeted and teased a poster that will be featured at E3. I noticed that the poster color and art on it look very similar to the PS4 advertisement. So I decided to put them together and this is what I got:

I think it is going to be a PS4 exclusive as far as next-gen goes. You can see a "T" on the far left, this is most likely coming from the title "The Phantom Pain".

Interesting but I think that's a coincidence. The MGS poster might be some sort of skeleton/xray thing like he's shown in trailer photos.

Boke1879

Link to that tweet?

I'm confused. Does Kojima fully understand English but just can't/won't speak it? In that Keighley interview he looked like he understood everything he was saying as he said it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm confused. Does Kojima fully understand English but just can't/won't speak it? In that Keighley interview he looked like he understood everything he was saying as he said it.

I'm sure his translator was just not on camera.

rvy

Banned

He understands English perfectly fine, he just sucks at speaking and writing it.

iLLmAtlc

He always hides key art. He was covering up that snake is back n fox poster before the trailer too. Chances are he just doesn't want to give out anything about the trailer before its shown.

Muffdraul

Agreed, Akio Otsuka will always be the true Snake for me. But did you know that when MGS1 was in development, Kojima came very close to deciding it would have only English voice acting? Believe It Or Not.

BadWolf

Agreed, Akio Otsuka will always be the true Snake for me. But did you know that when MGS1 was in development, Kojima came very close to deciding it would have only English voice acting? Believe It Or Not.

The initial plan was to have MGS3 be voiced completely in Russian iirc.

Batzi

Banned
He always hides key art. He was covering up that snake is back n fox poster before the trailer too. Chances are he just doesn't want to give out anything about the trailer before its shown.

exactly but it is too similar to the PS4 ad to be a coincidence. The whole poster seem to have a blueish theme color.

Muffdraul

The initial plan was to have MGS3 be voiced completely in Russian iirc.

That would have been better than the English version Russian soldiers sounding like they grew up in San Bernardino, CA. They had it right with the cheesy faux Russian accents in MGS2.

NYR94

So there is going to be a story trailer and a gameplay one? I'm excited to find out more about the story after Mother Base is destroyed, especially which country in Africa they go to (if that is indeed where they relocated to).

And good call on those pics looking like x-rays. You can see the artifical arm with the hook at the end and a watch and what looks like a rib cage.

Slime

Banned
Yeah, that's definitely part of the x-ray motif we're seeing in the trailer shots. Nothing at all to do with anything PlayStatation-related.

RK9039

Yup Superior pc version.

Makes sense to release it on pc since they have been showing off the pc version.

Yeah it's obvious. Even at GDC, 'It's running on PC' with the 360 pad, and also 'we're making it around a PC environment' which Kojima said in an interview. They usually don't say that sort of stuff.

Izick

Not to mention Kojima has been very vocal about his intentions to make this a multiplatform game, since Fox Engine is so versatile. I don't see why a PC version wouldn't happen as well as next-gen versions.

RK9039

Not to mention Kojima has been very vocal about his intentions to make this a multiplatform game, since Fox Engine is so versatile. I don't see why a PC version wouldn't happen as well as next-gen versions.

Exactly. I'd expect to see him at the Sony conference for a PS4 announcement.

By the way, just got the HD collection and I had a hard time playing MGS3 before. So I was wondering if there is a video somewhere that shows and explains tips on how to play it properly to get the most out of the game?

Izick

Exactly. I'd expect to see him at the Sony conference for a PS4 announcement.

Most likely. There were rumors about Sony trying to get a next-gen PS4 exclusive version. Obviously get and got are two different things, but that's an interesting rumor to hear.

I still think it'll eventually fall on all platforms though. PS360 day one, and PS4/XB1/PC on another date. I know it should be PS360/PC, but I don't think they'll do it that way unfortunately.

By the way, just got the HD collection and I had a hard time playing MGS3 before. So I was wondering if there is a video somewhere that shows and explains tips on how to play it properly to get the most out of the game?

I need to buy that. I have a real itch to play MGS2 again, and I want to go back and give MGS 3 another run as well to see how my feelings on that stack up. I'll probably get addicted to MGS 2 again like I did back then! So much stuff in that game. Not to mention just a lot of replay value for fans of the series.

Top Bottom