• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

BobTheSpy

Banned
I'm sorry for not keeping up with this game, but is it coming to PC?

God dammit, all my posts are related to PC gaming. I have a 360 and a 3DS, too.

But yeah seriously is it?

He was also in the Wii U developer reel and Fox Engine isn't even compatible with it.

You may have a point.

But there is this:

0MKeJ7s.jpg

They needed someone from japan so they picked the best doesn't mean he is going to show up at Microsoft's press conference in fact latest rumours suggest that Sony is trying to acquire MGSV as a ps4 exclusive so you never know..

Interesting. Haven't heard of this rumour. Do you have a link?

I would be very happy if he came to Sony's conference instead. With Xbone's shitty policies I wouldn't want such a great game as a next-gen exclusive for Xbox.

Batzi

Banned
I'm sorry for not keeping up with this game, but is it coming to PC?

God dammit, all my posts are related to PC gaming. I have a 360 and a 3DS, too.

But yeah seriously is it?
Rising is going pc so you never know but so far it is only confirmed for ps3 and 360

Izick

They've been PC at "current gen settings" so they haven't looked as good as they can.

That makes sense. I really don't expect the game to look that good though, because the demos so far have looked absolutely phenomenal. If that turns out to be true though, hot damn. They really do magic with the lighting and effects in Fox Engine.

Running on pc with ps3 specs so not next-gen

Can you really do that though? I mean, the PS3 seems to have very specific, calculated hardware in comparison to a PC. The Cell in particular.

Batzi

Banned
That makes sense. I really don't expect the game to look that good though, because the demos so far have looked absolutely phenomenal. If that turns out to be true though, hot damn. They really do magic with the lighting and effects in Fox Engine.

Can you really do that though? I mean, the PS3 seems to have very specific, calculated hardware in comparison to a PC. The Cell in particular.
Well they said that the hardware has roughly the same specs as a PS3. It is not 100% the same.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Couldn't they have a game not running on the Fox Engine for Wii U?

Twin Snakes style MGS2 remake or something like that?

Because the world needs a scene of Raiden jumping off of a Harrier missile and firing a Stinger in mid-air.

Although I guess ever since Rising that type of thing is in the series canon now.

Gun Animal

That makes sense. I really don't expect the game to look that good though, because the demos so far have looked absolutely phenomenal. If that turns out to be true though, hot damn. They really do magic with the lighting and effects in Fox Engine

MGS1, MGS3 and MGS:pW were basically the best looking games ever released on their respective hardware. If Kojima is releasing a PS360 MGS game right at the end of their life-cycle, I'd expect nothing less than the best looking game ever released on either system.

Hell, as it is, MGS4 still looks amazing and that was in 2008. Now look at the jump between MGS2 and MGS3. Woah.

edit: also, it's possible they are just pre-rendering the cutscenes like Naughty Dog. If you ignore all the cutscene footage and look solely at the gameplay footage of MGSV, it's really not all that impressive.

Izick

MGS1, MGS3 and MGS:pW were basically the best looking games ever released on their respective hardware. If Kojima is releasing a PS360 MGS game right at the end of their life-cycle, I'd expect nothing less than the best looking game ever released on either system.

Hell, as it is, MGS4 still looks amazing and that was in 2008. Now look at the jump between MGS2 and MGS3. Woah.

You're breaking my heart by not including MGS 2. That was practically heralded as the greatest looking thing in gaming at the time, and rightly so. It still looks fantastic today.

I do agree with you though.

Cartman86

Banned
Some recent Kojima tweets.

Back in April 2010 I tweeted "I will be challenging taboo in my next project.if failed I may have to leave this industry. Today I found a person who supports my project, the only one thou yet but I call this as a good start. " Now I can't recall who that was.

I'll depict "Revengence" in MGSV but isn't "Vengeance" that ends once killed. I'll depict "Chain of Revengence" that lies b/w groups(race).

This false chain won't stop and this "false spiral" will be carried on to next generation

So is this going to be middle east commentary? He's walking a fine line here. A fine line that won't make him leave the industry because no one in the industry cares enough to run him off. I mean just look at Levine with Infinite. A game that attempts to say something about race and then fucks it all up. Who am I kidding. The message will be "Perpetual violence and hatred sucks" Offending no sensible person and adding nothing new or interesting to the conversation.

Batzi

Banned

edit: also, it's possible they are just pre-rendering the cutscenes like Naughty Dog. If you ignore all the cutscene footage and look solely at the gameplay footage of MGSV, it's really not all that impressive.
MGS cutscenes were never pre-rendered and it is not something Kojima would do anyway look at MGS1. Saying it is not impressive is outrageous. It is not next-gen but it is definitely the best looking console game from the 7th generation.

iLLmAtlc

I think we should prepare for the trailer to be intense. Kojima tweeted that somebody watched it and broke down in tears. Some children dying maybe?

FlyFaster

I'm still waiting and wondering if anything shown at E3 on "next gen" consoles will actually look better then this game on ps360. It's mind boggling how Kojima works the dark arts.

Batzi

Banned
Says who? Kojima himself said the fox engine is easily scalable.
They didn't do anything on the Wii so why would they be interested in the U all of a sudden? Plus like i said KP is busy with V and that's what they're focusing on right now and KP LA is working on mgo3 i don't think they have enough resources and manpower to be working on 2 different MGS games.

Gun Animal

You're breaking my heart by not including MGS 2. That was practically heralded as the greatest looking thing in gaming at the time, and rightly so. It still looks fantastic today.

I do agree with you though.

MGS2 was the best looking game on the PS2... When it came out. In 2001. Same goes for MGS4.

]MGS cutscenes were never pre-rendered and it is not something Kojima would do anyway look at MGS1.

Wrong. There is a pre-rendered cutscene in MGS4, the one in the middle of act 3 where Snake's command vest is always brown regardless of what you have it set to, even though it's supposed to be black by default in that act. The justification for making that cutscene pre-rendered was that there was too much going on in that scene to do it in real time---whose to say the same couldn't be said for every cutscene in MGSV? Besides, I don't see the big deal with pre-rendered cutscenes, as long as they're rendered in-engine and keep the general feel and atmosphere of the gameplay. I don't really care one way or another, I'm just saying it would explain a lot.

Saying it is not impressive is outrageous. It is not next-gen but it is definitely the best looking console game from the 7th generation.

I agree completely, I guess I meant to say that it isn't that impressive compared to a lot of PC and 8th gen games. It's still got a lot of dithering going on for example, which is something I haven't seen in any 8th gen games, and the amount of visible polygons on characters, even in cutscenes, is noticeably lower than in the Last of Us's gameplay, and that's very current-gen. That's the only game I can think of on current-gen platforms that even comes close to MGSV, though, and MGSV is open world so... I guess we'll see what happens in a few days!

edit: feel like that came out wrong. MGSV is already shaping up to be the most actually **photorealistic** game ever released, not simply because of technical horsepower, but because of pure artistic talent and finesse. I just meant that the stuff that's actually up to hardware (Aliasing, Polys, texture resolution etc etc) isn't all that impressive even compared to footage of cross-gen games like Watch_Dogs. It's still probably the most well-polished game ever made, and ever to be made for some years.

shawnhi

They didn't do anything on the Wii so why would they be interested in the U all of a sudden? Plus like i said KP is busy with V and that's what they're focusing on right now and KP LA is working on mgo3 i don't think they have enough resources and manpower to be working on 2 different MGS games.

But what I was referencing was the fact that he said it was "easily scalable," i.e. scale it down for WiiU since it's so "underpowered," so it wouldn't really be "2 different MGS" games.

[Don't own a Wii U, so no dog in this fight. Just wouldn't rule out the possibility is all.]

Batzi

Banned
But what I was referencing was the fact that he said it was "easily scalable," i.e. scale it down for WiiU since it's so "underpowered," so it wouldn't really be "2 different MGS" games.

[Don't own a Wii U, so no dog in this fight. Just wouldn't rule out the possibility is all.]

I am not saying it is impossible but it is highly unlikely now. Kojima and Nintendo aren't really that close. He loves Mario and Miyamoto is like his mentor but that's it. Something Kojima said back in 2001, although he released TTS 2 years later but still he had this to say
When I pick hardware to do a game on, I don't look at the specs of the machine. I don't really care about that stuff. I look at the audience that it has. Releasing a Metal Gear game on a Nintendo console would be ridiculous: I don't know about Gamecube, but their machines that exist right now (N64/GBA/GBC) are for younger kids

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Now look at the jump between MGS2 and MGS3.

You mean the jump where the textures were less smooth and the FPS was halved.

MGS3 had better models and fire....and that's about it.

MGS3 running on MGS2 engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGNpU1tKlxI

Negligible difference. Add more shrubbery and other bells n' whistles and you have MGS3.

MGS2 remains the graphical high point of the series. When it came out there were only a handful of games that met or surpassed it. Peace Walker ranks pretty high too in consideration of the platform it was one, although it didn't scale up to HD THAT well.

Izick

MGS2 was the best looking game on the PS2... When it came out. In 2001. Same goes for MGS4.

But...

Negligible difference. Add more shrubbery and other bells n' whistles and you have MGS3.

MGS2 remains the graphical high point of the series. When it came out there were only a handful of games that met or surpassed it. Peace Walker ranks pretty high too in consideration of the platform it was one, although it didn't scale up to HD THAT well.

Okay, Sub_Level has me covered.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I made this for the people who don't like Kojimas decisions:

tGNI4Zc.jpg

SkylineRKR

I personally prefer the look and framerate of 2 as well, but 3 had great looking water (the part after the Pain, in combination with the lighting, has to be one of the most impressive scenes of the Ps2) and a lot of the foliage was moving and thus felt alive.

MGS2 is mostly industrial grey, like the original. Which demands less detail than a living jungle setting.

Feindflug

Wat? textures were less smooth? MGS3 had much more complex texture work due to the environment alone when compared to MGS2's overly simplistic texturing.

Also the video you just added looks much worse than what we had in the final version of MGS3 - lower quality textures and of course there's no freakin foliage. The poly count difference between the two games must be really big overall favoring MGS3 of course.

The only thing that MGS2 had over MGS3 was frame-rate, visually MGS3 was a much more advanced and demanding game which was actually the reason for the lower frame-rate.

Nice, posting a video that showed what was basically a demonstration of how the game should look overall instead of the actual final game. The visuals were a huge step forward from 2, though it did come with a shitty framerate.

Ninja

Neo Member
Well I'm still excited for a Metal Gear Solid without Hayter... I get why he sounded so grizzled in MGS4 given solids accelerated aging... but it was the same in Peace Walker. His performances were getting grating.

The whole open world nature of GZ is exciting to me. That could change a lot for MGS.

Koyuga

Wat? textures were less smooth? MGS3 had much more complex texture work due to the environment alone when compared to MGS2's overly simplistic texturing.

Also the video you just added looks much worse than what we had in the final version of MGS3 - lower quality textures and of course there's no freakin foliage. The poly count difference between the two games must be really big overall favoring MGS3 of course.

The only thing that MGS2 had over MGS3 was frame-rate, visually MGS3 was a much more advanced and demanding game which was actually the reason for the lower frame-rate.

This is some extreme hyperbole but I still sometimes find it hard to believe that MGS3 was running on PS2. Some seriously impressive stuff during some of the scenes in that game, it remains one of the most technically impressive games for me, personally.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

Went to check on KOJIMA Productions LA studio in progress.

‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

There were fellows share common passion and there's positive future. I'm expecting this E3 will get back such hype.

‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

E3 used to be really big ten few years ago. The world biggest intense festival where all creators from the world gather once a year.

CpmPanda

Neo Member
This is translated from his Japanese twitter and I have no F'n clue what he means. All I see is "V" and I go "OMFG MgsV! V FOR 5! FOR MGS5! HOLY ****!!!"

Hideo Kojima @ Kojima_Hideo 17m
In conjunction with "Hideraji E3 feature", 6 / 12th Japan time, PV of "V", "short version" of the "long version" is scheduled to be published at 3:00 AM.

Mr. RHC

This is translated from his Japanese twitter and I have no F'n clue what he means. All I see is "V" and I go "OMFG MgsV! V FOR 5! FOR MGS5! HOLY****!!!"

Hideo Kojima @ Kojima_Hideo 17m
In conjunction with "Hideraji E3 feature", 6 / 12th Japan time, PV of "V", "short version" of the "long version" is scheduled to be published at 3:00 AM.

Well "Hideraji" is "Hideradio" Kojima's official podcast. I guess they will discuss MSGV there. http://www.kjp.konami.jp/gs/hideoblog/2013/05/000475.html

jsnepo

I'm watching Escape from LA right now. I don't remember Snake Plissken's voice to be like this. I guess it's not only the name and eye patch and submersible that Kojima took from that movie.

jsnepo

And the virus thing.

I can't believe I forgot about that. Also LA being an island that Kojima borrowed for Shadow Moses. Another is the knife towards Snake's blue eyes. It really has been a while since I watched this movie since I can't remember almost anything in this movie.

Jintor

I'm looking forward to a trailer but I don't think Kojima has delivered a good trailer in years :/

Really? I was pretty impressed with the GDC MGSV trailer recutting all the footage + new stuff from the Spike Videogame Awards trailer - admittedly mainly because the crappy "Phantom Pain" trailer had to hide so much, but still.

Lakitu

st5fu
Really? I was pretty impressed with the GDC MGSV trailer recutting all the footage + new stuff from the Spike Videogame Awards trailer - admittedly mainly because the crappy "Phantom Pain" trailer had to hide so much, but still.

I really didn't like it, nor did I like any MGS 4 trailers. I don't know, something about the editing rubs me the wrong way, not sure what it is. Still love the series and Kojima though.

I was just spoiled by the long gameplay trailers of MGS 2 and 3, and this adrenaline packed MGS 3 trailer.

duckroll

This is translated from his Japanese twitter and I have no F'n clue what he means. All I see is "V" and I go "OMFG MgsV! V FOR 5! FOR MGS5! HOLY ****!!!"

He says that the short and long E3 trailers for MGSV will go online together with the E3 Special Edition of the HideRadio podcast on June 12 at 3 AM Japan time. We already know that they're updating the MGSV site and putting up the trailers though. So it's not really news.

Top Bottom