• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Released 10 Years Ago

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
yjpLGnb.jpg

mgsv-kept-you-waiting-huh.gif

Roni

Gold Member
We are never gonna see another sequel no?
If the remasters and remakes sell well enough, at one point they'll have to dip their toes back into the pond and venture a new installment without Kojima.
But it's Konami, so the quality of the remasters and remakes is still up in the air.

Regginator

I bought and played the Definitive Experience this year for the first time (dirt cheap, like 4 bucks on PSN). As a first-time MGS player, I didn't really care much for Ground Zeroes. I loved the gameplay and visuals, but it was way too short for it to have any lasting impact. I knew beforehand it was a short "game", but I was shocked when I saw the end-credits rolling. I have no idea how you people dealt with it back then, but I would've been furious if I not only paid for this glorified demo, but even had to wait a whole year for TPP.

Luckily I didn't have to wait. Immediately afterwards I started TPP, and after an hour or two of getting into it and getting used to the mechanics, I ended up loving it. Gameplay wise it's up there as one of the best/most fun game to play, but story wise I couldn't have cared less though. But maybe that's because this was my first MGS and a lot of it went over my head.

aclar00

Bought both and couldn't get myself to play them due to Keifer Southerland's voicework. It just took me out of the experience for some reason. I told myself i would get back to it, but never did, and likely never will.

DonF

I remember being so hype about this game, then being super hyped for mgsv then... the disapointment when the credits rolled 8(

Pagusas

Elden Member
Great game, but its also the game that killed MGS for me. Weird how it could both be good and also ruin a series. I think its because I loved the game play but absolutely LOATH the plot, change of voice actors and just everything about the script in general. At the end of the day MGS was about the fun story to me, and this was the point it fell apart.

Flabagast

Ground Zeroes was better than Phantom Pain. Kojima/Konami scammed everyone with this awesome bait thinking PP was going to be similar in level design/quality, instead we got a garbage empty desert levels.
I agree, they should have abandoned the idea of an open world and structure the game around open areas such as Ground Zeroes with a linear narrative connecting the various levels

poodaddy

A 30 minute prologue mission for €20. That's my memory with it aka fuck Konami!
Nah, this is one of the best stealth games of all time, imminently replayable and incredibly well designed with tons of different modes.

I genuinely think this is a much better game than the Phantom Pain, and it's mind blowing to me that people bitched about it. There still hasn't been a better pure stealth game in terms of design released today.

Ten years.....Jesus. We're all gettin old fellas.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Meh. MGS2 and 3 are such weird and unique stealth games whereas MGSV is just a weaker Splinter Cell in my opinion.

RaduN

A great taste of what the full game would be.
That intro was absolutely mind blowing too.
MGSV is the best of its genre, by far.

Gojiira

Man GZ was incredible, so much potential in its narrative. What a huge disappointment the whole thing ended up being.
Even by the end of MGSV it doesnt all come together to fill in that gap between MGS3 and MG1, just awful. No real finale too, cut final mission and all that. Ugh wish Kojipro had gotten another year or so and no censorship. Easily the biggest missed opportunity of last gen.

Fbh

Lol I remember working retail back then and our boss told us to remind buyers that it wasn't the full game, that it was a prologue and the main mission could be finished in a couple of hours.
Just to avoid potentially getting people asking for a refund.

Last edited:

proandrad

Ground Zero and the intro to MGS5 was so good, then it just turned into peace walker... I hope Hideo's next game goes back to the structure of MGS1/2.

Last edited:
Just this weekend I started playing the Definitive Edition (Complete Edition, whatever it's called); back in the day I played GZ and part of TPP and just lost interest. But playing it this weekend, I was genuinely impressed by how good it looked and how well it played. The movement, shooting, creeping, etc. all felt great. Looking forward to playing through it, even though it will take me forever.

Quantum253

I guess it feels worse that it's been almost 10 years since a proper MGS came out. With all the issues with Kojima/Konami hopefully, a proper game comes out this gen

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I bought and played the Definitive Experience this year for the first time (dirt cheap, like 4 bucks on PSN). As a first-time MGS player, I didn't really care much for Ground Zeroes. I loved the gameplay and visuals, but it was way too short for it to have any lasting impact. I knew beforehand it was a short "game", but I was shocked when I saw the end-credits rolling. I have no idea how you people dealt with it back then, but I would've been furious if I not only paid for this glorified demo, but even had to wait a whole year for TPP.

Luckily I didn't have to wait. Immediately afterwards I started TPP, and after an hour or two of getting into it and getting used to the mechanics, I ended up loving it. Gameplay wise it's up there as one of the best/most fun game to play, but story wise I couldn't have cared less though. But maybe that's because this was my first MGS and a lot of it went over my head.
GZ is highly replayable. You won’t see all the little details of the base, the mechanics, reactivity with only one run.

Top Bottom