• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V ships 5 million copies

Femto.

The simple fact they are revealing the number means they are more than happy :D

I mean, this may be the last number we get for a console game from Konami. No numbers were given for PES 2016, of course.

Makes sense.

Good for Konami (I guess? Screw them.) , Kojima's last MGS wasn't the best way to send off the series, and this will take me longer to get over than Mass Effect 3.

longdi

Banned
No 10 million is disappointment... Globally and the number of platforms it is available, guess Japanese style games don't appeal as much now.

No 10 million is disappointment... Globally and the number of platforms it is available, guess Japanese style games don't appeal as much now.

No MGS has ever sold 10m units. And aside from that, only a select amount of games are going to hit 10m in their lifetime, and even fewer will do that in a little over a months time.

Considering that Konami essentially split off the intro to MGSV with Ground Zeroes as a standalone to make extra cash, how many copies of MGSV complete has been sold including it?

erawsd

Thanks. Can't help but shake the feeling the game is somewhat under performing. Surely, it's budget and dev time far outstrips that of Witcher and Batman.

Wonder if Konami was expecting Fallout numbers for this game.

If 5 million in a month is under performing then I dont know if anyone can blame Konami for wanting to bail on the AAA industry.

I am surprised that Arkham Knight seems to be the lowest of the 3. Obscure polish RPG beating out Batman is kind of ridiculous.

I-hate-u

If 5 million in a month is under performing then I dont know if anyone can blame Konami for wanting to bail on the AAA industry.

I am surprised that Arkham Knight seems to be the lowest of the 3. Obscure polish RPG beating out Batman is kind of ridiculous.

Compared to it's budget. Seems to me a much more massive project than a lot of the other games.

But, like what has been said before, if they talking numbers, that means that they are probably happy.

erawsd

Compared to it's budget. Seems to me a much more massive project than a lot of the other games.

But, like what has been said before, if they talking numbers, that means that they are probably happy.

If this was 5 million over its lifetime I'm sure that would be disappointing. 5 million in one month seems like a pretty good amount to me.

Well, honestly the way I see it, MGS5 mostly had the PS4 contingent to rely on for the majority of MGS5's admirable sales. Japanese games generally do not appeal to Xbox One owners, PS3 and X360 are considering antiquated and they are not near as popular as they once were and do Japanese games even really sell well on PC considering the somewhat generous amount of PC owners out there? Unfortunately though, Japanese games are not near as popular as they once were, but that's all the more reason imo that 5 million is quite amazing considering it was just recently released.

Alo0oy

Banned
Thanks. Can't help but shake the feeling the game is somewhat underperforming compared to other games of the year. Surely, it's budget and dev time far outstrips that of Witcher and Batman.

Wonder if Konami was expecting Fallout numbers for this game.

Fallout 3 sold about ~6 million units, so it's certainly trending better than Fallout. Although I suspect FO4 would be much bigger, potentially 10+ million.

I-hate-u

Fallout 3 sold about ~6 million units, so it's certainly trending better than Fallout. Although I suspect FO4 would be much bigger, potentially 10+ million.

Skyrim sold an insane amount of units. I can't really underestimate Bethesda's Todd Howard's games. I wouldn't be shocked if it's the most selling game of the holiday season, despite the fierce competition.

Seems pretty weak for a game this size on 5 platforms. It must have sold to the fans and not much else.

As someone who devirginize my playstation consoles from 1-3 and handhelds by Metal Fucking Gear. I can say that this was not the case of the PS4. IRONICALLY, i bought the Metal Gear Edition WITHOUT the fucking game included! That's how much spite I have for this company with all the negativity and abuse Kojima had to put up for making this game.

I for one will wait until the game comes cheap just like I said I would before the release date. And m pretty damn sure I'm not the only one. Actually, I'm surprised it sold this much with Konami's reputation.

Matt

As someone who devirginize my playstation consoles from 1-3 and handhelds by Metal Fucking Gear. I can say that this was not the case of the PS4. IRONICALLY, i bought the Metal Gear Edition WITHOUT the fucking game included! That's how much spite I have for this company with all the negativity and abuse Kojima had to put up for making this game.

I for one will wait until the game comes cheap just like I said I would before the release date. And m pretty damn sure I'm not the only one. Actually, I'm surprised it sold this much with Konami's reputation.

In no way is all of that affecting sales.

Someone should calculate XB1/PS3/X360 sales based on this. I'm too lazy right now.

We can't, because steamspy number is sold through numbers, while the 5 million is just shipped copies number.
We'll need to know the sold through numbers for each platform to make a fair comparison with steam owners.

You're still going to give them money lol.

May as well just buy it used if you want to play it now.

Steroyd

Konami won.

Not really they've binned the man responsible for the series success, if anything this should put them closer to the regret phase because this is the last time a Konami game is going to do this well.

Sorry they didn't bin Kojima he's on "vacation".

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Based on known sell-through... so much in the channel.

Yeah, even if we factor in the great (no, wait, let's say it better, GREAT!) result on PC, the strength of the franchise in Japan (despite what happened to the console market in the past few years), it seems there are still lots of copies on shelves, like...2 millions/slightly more than 2 millions?

Chariot

Not really they've binned the man responsible for the series success, if anything this should put them closer to the regret phase because this is the last time a Konami game is going to do this well.

Sorry they didn't bin Kojima he's on "vacation".
They don't want to do much in the videogame business anyways. They lost virtually nothing that matters to them.

Thankfully they did really awful in the NPD :)

Europe was probably similar and Japan is irrelevant in the console market.
Good to hear, the PS360 footage I saw looked terrible.
Witcher 3 was being sold at a heavy discount. You could get the pc version for like $25 months before release, I dont think MGSV has been lower than $50 yet.
I bought my copy for like $35ish and I think GMG has had it for $40 or so a few times.

Top Bottom