• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V ships 5 million copies

Sakura

Thankfully they did really awful in the NPD :)

Europe was probably similar and Japan is irrelevant in the console market.

MGSV did 800k in the US for September while Japan did 600k.
I'm not sure how that is irrelevant in regards to MGS in the console market.

Ratrat

MGS4 was released in 1 platform, and MGSV in 5 platforms. I assume they expect to sell 10 Million copies during all its lifetime.
They are idiots then. 2&3 couldn't reach anywhere near that on the most successful console of all time. Besides, the ps3 and 360 versions might as well not exist for all the help they were.
5m copies sold means past break even??
This is after they released a paid demo and added microtransactions for the first time. Why not.

Gorger

I am pretty early in this game, just encountered
Quiet
, but DAMN I am having so much fun. There is just so much to do, so many upgrades, weapons, gadgets, crazy tools and exploration. Building mother base is awesome, too. Good on you Kojima... it's just too bad Konami will probably spend most of those moneys making Pachinko machines.

I'm one of those 5 million and I personally don't think the game deserves it and i'm saying this as a lifelong fan of the series. But hopefully this sends a message to Konami at the very least..

Ranma

i'm happy for this result, the game is brilliant. Gameplaywise at least.
I still think it has less "metal gear vibe" than previous games but the gameplay is so good... It's a shame is not a finished game storywise.

Dremark

Banned
The simple fact they are revealing the number means they are more than happy :D

It was win/win for them anyway. If it bombed everything they did was now justified, if it succeeded then they made a ton of money.

For them it's probably better that it was profitable, they don't care what we think anyway.

Malcolm9

Good game but I personally feel the open world took away what I like in MGS games.

I'm happy with open levels, just not the open world style in games like this. I also ended up watching and reading about the rest of the game as I was jaded after 25 missions in.

Good game but I personally feel the open world took away what I like in MGS games.

I'm happy with open levels, just not the open world style in games like this. I also ended up watching and reading about the rest of the game as I was jaded after 25 missions in.
I think 15 camp omega sized playgrounds would've been better imo.

Spaghetti

Not only that, they have to clear 6 million sold before they even break even on TPP.
best put a source on that

$180 million in revenue on day one. mgsv's budget is allegedly half of that. konami likely broke even day 2 or 3. this is coming up on two months after release.

Given he also made them spend who knows how many millions in the long development of the game. Somehow people forget this detail. Not every million gained now is going to be pure profit.

Good lord, I wonder how R* can put up with spending that money in comparison. Or even AAA games in general.

Dremark

Banned
Given he also made them spend who knows how many millions in the long development of the game. Somehow people forget this detail. Not every million gained now is going to be pure profit.

Supposedly he spent 90M on it, this probably includes the Fox engine which they are still using for other games and the development of Ground Zeroes.

Even if you ignore Fox Engine as an asset (Admittedly it doesn't have much use in Konami's future) and GZ's income entirely they are likely well into pulling a profit on this game now and it still has the holiday season to go.

You can argue he went over budget and he probably did by a fair margin, but he's had a strong track record of producing profitable games. The way he was treated was uncalled for and on top of that it's bad business that caused a ton of PR issues and jeopardized sales.

You can argue he spent a lot of money, but so what? He's always worked like this and he's been with the company 28 years, if they had an issue they shouldn't have approved to project to begin with.

Dremark

Banned
worth saying that konami made five times as much revenue on 'digital entertainment' than it did on pachinko and pachislot.

I did always find it amusing that people would look at thier reports and pont out how much more money Konami was making on Pachislot and such in quarters they weren't actually releasing any games.

GametimeUK

The beat game of the generation so far and it blows MGS4 out of the water. I was so disappointed with the franchise, but this game turned it around... until the cut content, microtransactions, online and awful DLC hit. It's a shame that one of the greatest games I'll ever play is tainted by these issues.

SilentRob

Great numbers. I still don't understand why people think that $80 Million for a game of this scope and size is (too) much. That's pretty much exactly as much as Witcher 3 cost and that game was heralded for it's cheap production cost. And that game was produced in eastern europe compared to the ridiculous living expanses in Tokyo and LA.

It's not a small budget but it's certainly not a very big one either. That's just how much AAA games cost. Tomb Raider was reported to have cost $100 Million. Again, compare that to the scope of MGS V. And we don't even know if Ground Zeroes was already part of the $80 Million estimate (which itself was never officially stated or confirmed, mind you). The game did really good, all things considered (and we don't even know how much Konami is making with the game's microtransactions).

Celine

No 10 million is disappointment... Globally and the number of platforms it is available, guess Japanese style games don't appeal as much now.
What are the non-Nintendo japanese games that sold more than 10 million on consoles/PC?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
No 10 million is disappointment... Globally and the number of platforms it is available, guess Japanese style games don't appeal as much now.

8PkInIL.gif

T-0800

i'm happy for this result, the game is brilliant. Gameplaywise at least.
I still think it has less "metal gear vibe" than previous games but the gameplay is so good... It's a shame is not a finished game storywise.

I'm 15 hours in and have no idea what the story is about. Don't care either. Gameplay is so much fun. Most fun I've had with any MGS game.

Top Bottom