• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V ships 5 million copies

BadWolf

Great numbers. I still don't understand why people think that $80 Million for a game of this scope and size is (too) much. That's pretty much exactly as much as Witcher 3 cost and that game was heralded for it's cheap production cost. And that game was produced in eastern europe compared to the ridiculous living expanses in Tokyo and LA.

It's not a small budget but it's certainly not a very big one either. That's just how much AAA games cost. Tomb Raider was reported to have cost $100 Million. Again, compare that to the scope of MGS V. And we don't even know if Ground Zeroes was already part of the $80 Million estimate (which itself was never officially stated or confirmed, mind you). The game did really good, all things considered (and we don't even know how much Konami is making with the game's microtransactions).

Of course it was, GZ is MGSV's tanker chapter.

GZ+TPP = MGSV

Dremark

Banned
Great numbers. I still don't understand why people think that $80 Million for a game of this scope and size is (too) much. That's pretty much exactly as much as Witcher 3 cost and that game was heralded for it's cheap production cost. And that game was produced in eastern europe compared to the ridiculous living expanses in Tokyo and LA.

People didn't need to defend corporate douchbaggery at CDPR like they do with Konami.

People really should remember it's shipped, not sold through.

$180 million in revenue on day one. mgsv's budget is allegedly half of that. konami likely broke even day 2 or 3. this is coming up on two months after release.
Is that 180 million Konami's share of the revenue, or the total amount of the revenue? I.e. if the game costs 60 bucks, not nearly all of it goes to the publisher. Publisher gets about $27 of it.

Hard to compare since MGS4 was tied to a single console.

Whereas MGS V is on 360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4/PC.

Not only that, they have to clear 6 million sold before they even break even on TPP.
I heard they need like 6mil units sold to break even,
And more to make some profit.
Heard? Are you insiders? If not, please be careful with the claims you make. No offense.

That doesnt' say anything about 6 million sold copies needed to break even, unless I'm missing something?

I think I heard like nearly 68%-70% on PS4 and the rest on PC/X360/XBox One and PS3. Could be wrong though.
To you too, you think you heard that?

Spaghetti

Is that 180 million Konami's share of the revenue, or the total amount of the revenue? I.e. if the game costs 60 bucks, not nearly all of it goes to the publisher. Publisher gets about $27 of it.
probably total, but my point still stands that the 180 million figure was day one. this is now nearly day sixty one.

the shipped figure in konami's financials may not include the PC digital sales either, which stand currently above 750,000 according to steam spy. if we assume each copy is sold at $50, of which valve gets 30% (about $15), konami have a revenue of $22,500,000 on PC sales alone.

People really should remember it's shipped, not sold through.

Heard? Are you insiders? If not, please be careful with the claims you make. No offense.

That doesnt' say anything about 6 million sold copies needed to break even, unless I'm missing something?

To you too, you think you heard that?

Pretty sure I read it somewhere, but I cannot remember where exactly. In all honestly, I think realistically speaking it would perform best on PS4 sales-wise for the obvious reasons. I sure do not visualize it selling 50% on PS4 and 50% on the other consoles.

I'm one of those 5 million and I personally don't think the game deserves it and i'm saying this as a lifelong fan of the series. But hopefully this sends a message to Konami at the very least..

With you on that. It is not a MGS game for me, feels like a Ubisoft game.

sörine

Banned
the shipped figure in konami's financials may not include the PC digital sales either, which stand currently above 750,000 according to steam spy. if we assume each copy is sold at $50, of which valve gets 30% (about $15), konami have a revenue of $22,500,000 on PC sales alone.
Pretty much every company reports shipped + digital when they release numbers now fwiw. It's incredibly unlikely this 5 million figure doesn't include PC digital.

gozu

Banned
The game has a FULLY DESERVED 95% score on metacritic, towering like mountain above worms. Such godlike animation, such polish, such satisfying gameplay, so many details, so much replay-ability. It's the only game I've purchased a collection edition for in my life.

It basically doubled my admiration for Kojima, notwithstanding his writing's weaknesses when it comes to personal relationships and human interactions.

Game deserves to sell 20M lifetime at a minimum.

Roufianos

The sales aren't much better than 4's launch especially considering the increase in platforms.

It's funny that a game which tried so hard not to be MGS only really ended up being played by MGS fans.

Batzi

Banned
The game has a FULLY DESERVED 95% score on metacritic, towering like mountain above worms. Such godlike animation, such polish, such satisfying gameplay, so many details, so much replay-ability. It's the only game I've purchased a collection edition for in my life.

It basically doubled my admiration for Kojima, notwithstanding his writing's weaknesses when it comes to personal relationships and human interactions.

Game deserves to sell 20M lifetime at a minimum.

I don't know why you're banned but I'm with you on that!

Looks like it is going to outsell MGS2 sooner than I thought! Good job Mr.Kojima and Kojima Productiond!

Whompa02

As a hardcore MGS fan, and someone currently enjoying MGS5 (did not reach FOB stuff yet), I can't argue with him... knowing hints of what is to come...

This game was reviewed in a bubble, and the product today is a very different thing...

Hard to call the game, "Trash" thought to be honest...should reserve that for some actual garbage games. At least MGSV is fun to play and listen to. There's a lot of good in there...just a shame the story is so Diet Coke compared to most, if not all, MGS titles.

sörine;183506408 said:
Pretty much every company reports shipped + digital when they release numbers now fwiw. It's incredibly unlikely this 5 million figure doesn't include PC digital.

Really? How can you 'ship' digital copies?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Kojima is out of control, no wonder Konami had to let him go. Where does he get the gall to spend so much damn money on a game that won't even sell...

Oh wait.

Still waiting on Ch. 3.

LOL Ok

Ubisoft wishes it's games could run and play as near perfect as this.

MGSV may get repetitive but you have the power to change it up with all the options you have at your disposal.

Polish wise yes. But he obviously meant game design wise (objectives, structure, etc), and there, he has more than enough merit.

One of the most disappointing send off games I've ever played, you hate to see a series you love go out with such poor mission structure.

Having lots of fun, despite the structure. It's been in my rotation since launch. I should finish it up this weekend or next week and get a break before Fallout.

erawsd

It's not a small budget but it's certainly not a very big one either. That's just how much AAA games cost. Tomb Raider was reported to have cost $100 Million. Again, compare that to the scope of MGS V. And we don't even know if Ground Zeroes was already part of the $80 Million estimate (which itself was never officially stated or confirmed, mind you). The game did really good, all things considered (and we don't even know how much Konami is making with the game's microtransactions).

The Witcher comparison doesn't quite work since that is the total for both development and marketing. The actual development budget of Witcher was around $35-40m. That $80m we've seen thrown around for MGSV is development alone; as you said though, we dont know if that includes GZ (I bet it does). Not sure how that Tomb Raider number breaks down but the most direct comparison we can make from this gen would be Watchdogs, which cost ~$70m to development.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Coming around to the sentiment slowly but surely.

That's good to hear, man. What changed?

Pretty much. It also lack a lot of the MGS easter eggs, innuendo, and humor.

Twenty five page thread says otherwise.

You forgot to mention a story as well.

This has become a trite and demonstrably baseless observation over the last few months. There is a story. Whether you liked it or not and whether it is a good one or not, are different matters entirely.

FATALITY

Banned
shipped =/= sold to customers

sounds to me there are a bunch of copies sitting on store shelves? what were the numbers like anyway. I don't go in NPD threads anymore lol
Here in UK I was trying to buy this game and it was sold out in almost every place. It's not evidence or anything but I'm just saying

Alo0oy

Banned
What are the non-Nintendo japanese games that sold more than 10 million on consoles/PC?

Published by a Japanese company or developed by a Japanese company? If it's the latter, GT5 sold 16 million & almost every GT game sells 10+ million & FF7 sold 10 million, PS2 era PES probably sold 10+ million too.

MGS5 still has a chance of selling 10 million, depending on the game's legs, plenty of games have relatively low first month sales end up selling 10+ million.

Really suprised considering the bitter reaction from a lot of GAF members. I know they're a very vocal minority, but still...

I'm really happy for everyone involved, I loved the game, platinumed it; and would do it again.

BadWolf

Really suprised considering the bitter reaction from a lot of GAF members. I know they're a very vocal minority, but still...

I'm really happy for everyone involved, I loved the game, platinumed it; and would do it again.

The same thing happens with MGS4 and yet it won Gaf's GOTY, twice. The haters just tend to be very vocal.

Yopis

Few hundred people that whine. GAF is not that big a deal in the grand scheme. Anytime a thread starts negative comments are posted quickly, just the tone of this forum.

Celine

Published by a Japanese company or developed by a Japanese company? If it's the latter, GT5 sold 16 million & almost every GT game sells 10+ million & FF7 sold 10 million, PS2 era PES probably sold 10+ million too.
Published by a japanese company not named Nintendo (because Nintendo has 37 games that shipped more than 10M, it's an exception).

Final Fantasy 7 total shipment was 9.81 million units as December 2006 (of course many years after the original run the game was re-released digitally ).
To my best knowledge no Pro Evolution Soccer game has ever shipped more than 10 million units.

Only Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4 and Gran Turismo 5 accomplished this feat.

BTails

Is it just me, or is the word "Vocal" completely ruined now because of
the amount of times Code Talker says it in the tapes? I loved the game, but I swear, if I hear someone say "Vocal Cord Parasites" one more time...

Top Bottom