• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Initial impression nitpicks:

Yuck at that very, very bad old gen grass stretching and sliding. Straight out of MGS3.
Pop-in very bad (plenty of time for fixing that)
Graphics hurt by cross-gen. They said demo is PS4. PS4 can do so much better than this.
Brown desert locales are the worst. Please be a brief portion of the game.
Seriously, that grass.

Good things: Animation great, humor still present apparently, weather/time change, Mother Base

Was that Ocelot at the beginning? Lost his charm. Over the top campy voices are required for Kojima's over the top dialogues and sermons. Those made it work. The crazy MGS world needs self-aware performances.
If it's a typical Kojima Metal Gear script, these normal/bland voices won't match what he puts on screen. I've only heard Ocelot and Big Boss and they made me sleepy.

On other hand, if Kojima really does take try to make MGS an overly serious and dark movie, I fear for the unique fun and goofy but dramatic atmosphere only this series has.

Still buying it of course. It's MGS dang it.
Really? I thought it was fairly impressive for Open World, 1080P and 60 FPS.

I don't know of any other console open world 60 fps game actually.

Mr. RHC

I really love however how a good amount of people are jumping to conclusions about Snake's dialogue after seeing one cutscene and claim he doesn't speak in cutscenes when in fact he already talked in cutscenes in Ground Zeroes, and in trailers for The Phantom Pain.

As a matter of fact, Snake never spoke much just before a mission, codec not counted. And even in codecs people mostly have been talking to him and not the other way around.

People are like this on Snake:
XiUW9M2.gif

I'm assuming FR is balanced accordingly on the higher difficulties. If I launch a screaming man in the middle of the base I hope everyone will hear that on everything but easy.

Gumbie

Man watching that demo makes me sad I missed out on everything after MGS2. I played through 1,2 and half way through 3. Life in the way and I never finished 3 nor did I ever even get to play 4 or any of the handheld ones. Now I have a ps4,x1, and good PC but nothing to play the old MGS on.

meanspartan

I really love however how a good amount of people are jumping to conclusions about Snake's dialogue after seeing one cutscene and claim he doesn't speak in cutscenes when in fact he already talked in cutscenes in Ground Zeroes, and in trailers for The Phantom Pain.

As a matter of fact, Snake never spoke much just before a mission, codec not counted. And even in codecs people mostly have been talking to him and not the other way around.

XiUW9M2.gif

I am just concerned that they skimped on dialogue because Sutherland was too expensive or something.

cackhyena

I hope they have a full game, no detection award/unlock or something. Like, no restarts or checkpoint do overs. Masochistic, I know, and I'm not normally for that type of stuff. This games mechanics are rich enough or me to have fun going for it, though. I'd love to challenge myself with something like that after a play through or two.

Cyborg

E3 2013 trailer
2014-06-1916_29_53-e31gsci.png

Kojima Station 2014
2014-06-1916_29_43-me0us5d.png

Snake's little backpack looks even more detailed now. Also looks like the terrain changed a bit, more trees.

I like the E3 2013 trailer picture a bit more.....Seems to have a better draw disstance and natural colors.

Not sure it people caught this but back during his interview with IGN during E3, Kojima mentioned that Snake is going through some memory loss after his coma and through the game he'd slowly regain his memory.

He said this is a way of helping people who are new to the series or didn't play Ground Zeroes catch up with what is going on, might also mean we get some flashbacks and stuff to fill in gaps of the series that haven't been addressed properly like LET and what was going on during Big Boss's time with Zero/The Patriots or how him knowing Skull Face fits into things, but that's just all speculation from my end.

Back during the GDC trailer when we first saw footage of Ocelot in the game, people weren't really sure if it was Ocelot, but one of the things some people pointed out as an argument for it being him was that they could lipread his line as him saying "I'm Ocelot!" to Snake before the rescue. If that's really what he was saying, that might mean Ocelot has to remind Snake who he is and explain the situation to him and stuff like the tutorial section they skipped. I remember Kojima saying the trauma from what happened in Ground Zeroes would cause Snake to be more of a listener as well, and that he wouldn't speak as much and express more through his face.

Not saying I'm in love with this decision or wouldn't like to hear Kiefer speak more, but these seem to be the in-story reasons they've come up with.

Edzi

Just my own theory, but in the past when big boss and solid snake are in the same game, Kojima has Hayter voice solid snake.

Maybe solid snake isn't as absent as people think.

People tend to forget that the Japanese VA for Big Boss and Solid Snake are the same and have yet to change. I think this implies pretty strongly that there's no master plan behind the VA change, and that Kiefer was just a straight up replacement for Hayter. It sucks, but I think that's all it is. Kojima has shown that he's a huge movie/TV guy, so I think this was just him really wanting to bring in a Hollywood star into his game and pretend he's a film director or something. If his goal really was to raise the quality of the acting or something like that, I expect we'd have seen a lot more of the English cast changing.

Majanew

Banned
Game looks very good, especially keeping in mind the size of the world and the fact it's 1080p/60fps.

I like the E3 2013 trailer picture a bit more.....Seems to have a better draw disstance and natural colors.

Looks like a cool color temp vs a warm color temp. Just change the setting on your HDTV when you're playing. Could be the time in the game since it changes.

Mr. RHC

I think Ocelot has a new signature move. It's almost like a half baked wave, pointing thing with one arm. He does it when he get's off the horse and then again when he is on Mother Base.

Kssio_Aug

Sadly its cross-gen so it wont look as beautifully as it could. But still thats impressive! Theyre maintaining a really good visual quality for a cross-gen and at 1080p and 60fps, Im totally fine with this!

But that gameplay!! Wow! I wasnt paying much attention to MGS when that was announced, but that gameplay seems a lot better then I thought it would be, Im totally hyped by this game now, it seems really good!

KJRS_1993

There could be a timeskip.

End of game, it goes into the future.
You're Solid Snake, you must sneak into the Mother Base that you've hand crafted over the course of the game and take down Big Boss.
A retelling of the original Metal Gear.
I dreamed a dream...

Slowdive

Banned
End of game, it goes into the future.
You're Solid Snake, you must sneak into the Mother Base that you've hand crafted over the course of the game and take down Big Boss.
A retelling of the original Metal Gear.
I dreamed a dream...

It's been said before, but that would be amazing.

Sim, sim, salabim!

We're trying to get some cleaner footage uploaded directly to Facebook and YT separated from the live broadcast.

Awesome.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Play as Big Boss against SS, I hope.

No play as SS against BB.

can you even imagine what this would be like? we see the back of someone with a bandana we know it's a Snake, he turns around and a little text pops up "Solid Snake - David Hayter" and we hear him saying "Kept you waiting huh?" with his MGS1/2 voice.

PEOPLE WOULD FREAK THE FUCK OUT!

Sim, sim, salabim!

We're trying to get some cleaner footage uploaded directly to Facebook and YT separated from the live broadcast.

EDIT: Direct Footage... No plans at the moment but will float the idea to brand.

YOU'RE THE BEST, THANK YOU SIR!

Don't like Baker Ocelot too much. Zimmerman playing a younger voice would have been cool. And the instant alert is horrible. Especially since they're not even using their radios.

Other than that it looks really damn good.

XiUW9M2.gif

We've not really seen cyborg Snake talk in any of the trailers. In the trailers, he either didn't have the shrapnel/horn when he spoke or you heard his voice disconnected from the current scene.

No play as SS against BB.

can you even imagine what this would be like? we see the back of someone with a bandana we know it's a Snake, he turns around and a little text pops up "Solid Snake - David Hayter" and we hear him saying "Kept you waiting huh?" with his MGS1/2 voice.

PEOPLE WOULD FREAK THE FUCK OUT!

YOU'RE THE BEST, THANK YOU SIR!

And then he's all up in Mother Base wreckin' your shit. This will be amazing. Wait that doesn't work with MG1/2 canon. Retcon!

jeh

I remember Kojima saying the trauma from what happened in Ground Zeroes would cause Snake to be more of a listener as well, and that he wouldn't speak as much and express more through his face.

Now see, that's the thing. I reaaaaaaaaaally want to beleive Kojima on this, but something tells me that's just some PR move for "Keifer was too expensive, so he won't talk that much compared to previous mgs games".

Anyway, like Mr. RHC said, this is just one custscene, we'll just have to wait to find out.

Nibel

Sim, sim, salabim!

EDIT: Direct Footage... No plans at the moment but will float the idea to brand.

Very nice, but I still hoped for a high quality downloadable version since both Facebook and YouTube compress videos/pictures to hell and back..

Very nice, but I still hoped for a high quality downloadable version since both Facebook and YouTube compress videos/pictures to hell and back..

Yuh, sorry. But we have internal metrics to meet. :\

Which means easily traceable data on things like views, view time, regions viewing, etc. Which means services like YT and FB.

Otherwise 1080P/60FPS as it was originally shown, all day, erry day. EDIT: 'Cept our servers would esplode.

did anyone supporting the "keifer was too expensive!" idea play ground zeroes? he spoke plenty. especially when you add in all those briefing tapes.

you're suggesting they had him record a half an hour of conversation for background briefing for ground zeroes at the expense of this scene with ocelot? OK!

Loved everything about it except the ridiculous blood splatter when Snake takes damage. What's wrong with a life bar? Only way it could be worse is if they had an obnoxious "TAKE COVER!" message to go with it. Jam filter needs to die brehs.

Now see, that's the thing. I reaaaaaaaaaally want to beleive Kojima on this, but something tells me that's just some PR move for "Keifer was too expensive, so he won't talk that much compared to previous mgs games".

Anyway, like Mr. RHC said, this is just one custscene, we'll just have to wait to find out.

It's possible but why would they have him voice an additional character like Ishamel or the Medic if it was just that? Ishmael seems to be quite chatty like other supporting characters, and given the game has more than one story mission there is probably a lot more briefing tapes and conversations as well with Kiefer dialogue. On one Kojima Station episode they explained the thing about having to pay Kiefer more money was a joke and he's quieter in missions due to the open world design of things, so that what Snake says doesn't influence a particular route or something when it comes to player freedom.

It's weird that someone reported they used radios and we didn't get to see that...

But overall I am incredibly excited for this, and this is clearly going to be the greatest MGS game of all time, and probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Will it dethrone MGS3? I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom