• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

Asd202

2015-08-2414_50_19-hi4hsry.png

Why?

Dimmle

Q: Did Jim Sterling attend a review event? Sounds like he has a copy / has published a review? I'm trying to avoid review stuff but he piqued my interested with some Twitter buzz.

I don't think this is really true.

Metal Gear, at least to me, is first and foremost an infiltration sandbox action game with a ton of quirky Japanese-flavored humor presented as a love song to Hollywood action movies. I think that's a description which fits every single one of them, from the first Metal Gear all the way to The Phantom Pain. The sandbox has grown exponentially larger, the nature of the infiltration area has evolved over the entries, and the various influences of both the Japanese humor and the Hollywood action film feel have changed based on the themes of each game, but by and large the formula remains intact.

Have things changed dramatically in some ways? Absolutely. Are some people not particularly happy with the changes? Sure. But these are not things which specifically made Metal Gear what it is. Metal Gear existed before the long cutscenes. Metal Gear existed before radar. Metal Gear existed before vision cones. Metal Gear existed before great boss battles. I think it's a pity that some things have been left behind as the game changed to accommodate for certain evolutions, but in the end, I think it still feels like Metal Gear.

My apologies but I disagree. Metal Gear never really existed before the 1998 version. The first two games were never really popular out of Japan. It was the 1998 version with long cutscenes, great boss battles etc that gave the series a worldwide fame.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Any info on whether or not GZ owners can revisit Camp Omega? Iirc it was rumored that you could play some missions there back in March but it wasn't 100% confirmed

Neff

Has Ars Technica been posted? It's only on their UK site at the moment so might have been missed:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/201...-5-is-cliched-confused-and-utterly-brilliant/

It’s fashionable these days to crush anything that has the audacity to try and take freedom away from the player, but MGS V's vision of a guided open world works brilliantly within the wider framework of this series. By isolating different enemy positions from each other, the world map ends up being fragmented into many levels—of differing size, complexity, and difficulty—with open space filling the gaps. Throughout the open space it's incredibly rare to run into enemies, and when you do they're usually driving a vehicle of some sort so that it’s easy to hear them coming and duck out of sight.

This sounds absolutely perfect. Can't wait.

Kamiya idolises Kojima (mostly because of Snatcher), but he's not interested in Metal Gear, and he's never played any of them. Also, he's probably been asked about MGSV a million times this week.

DrBo42

Q: Did Jim Sterling attend a review event? Sounds like he has a copy / has published a review? I'm trying to avoid review stuff but he piqued my interested with some Twitter buzz.

Absolutely not. He was tweeting about how others were able to review the event while he's blacklisted and saying it's totally worth it etc.

Kuro

People are still whining that this isn't metal gear because it does the story different? Even with the reviews its getting? Without even playing the game? Are people really hurting that much for the mess that was MGS4 and it's absurd cutscenes? All I've heard about MGSV's story makes me more excited.

The complaints about lack of story are funny, when we've sat through like 20 minutes of trailers now that are pure story and look like the craziest shit we've ever seen.

Thats what confuses me. The story was my favorite part of MGS, and now reviewers are giving it GREAT reviews and talking about the lack of story. Guess everyone finds something different to love about this series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I kinda feel Metal Gear as a series, given its 28 years running, diversity in ideas and settings and stories, transitions between hardware and the strengths that brings to game development, and the various entry points fans have come in has given the franchise a Zelda like quality where people have different ideas of what constitutes as the most important parts of a Metal Gear game for them. There are some fans who, from their perspective, simply use the gameplay as short vessels between Hollywood-like produced in-engine cinematics for an excessively convoluted story. There's some more fascinated by what each game brings to the table in play, boss fights, and stealth. And the rest of the fans fall somewhere in between on the (lets call it) Kojima scale.

I mostly agree with duckroll's interpretation of the most consistent, reoccurring franchise tropes that define its identity. And also that each game seems to change things up a bit and introduce new things that by default are change, but better/worse depends on the person playing.

Like I don't think you can say the series is all about Hollywood style cinematics in excess, because you're really ignoring the first two MSX games that hadn't the tech to accomplish this. Solid introduced this style, and even so it can't be ignored that drastic changes and evolution of the stealth systems in play were just as important with each entry. MGS4 and PW are probably the only two oddballs that disrupted the pattern a bit, the former leaning much heavier towards narrative/cinematics and themes over play, and the latter adding to play some major concepts that don't directly correlate to "tactical stealth" (like Monster Hunt style co-op bosses).

Griss

I will say that open-world games evolving beyond the '100s of shitty mini-objectives on a map with a tepid main mission thrown in anchored to middling game mechanics' is a pretty cool development in gaming 2015. Not every game needs the variety of things to do as GTA, and we certainly don't need any more 'UbiWorld' games. Gonna give Shadow of the Collosus credit for being the first to break the mold, way back when, lol.

Skele7on

Banned
I have just had a conversation in which it is possible that at some of the review events
that these guys were given maybe even under 5 hours to play the game..
If a mod wants to chat drop me a DM.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My apologies but I disagree. Metal Gear never really existed before the 1998 version. The first two games were never really popular out of Japan. It was the 1998 version with long cutscenes, great boss battles etc that gave the series a worldwide fame.

lol, you don't get to pick and choose what's Metal Gear though, pal.

Valonquar

Not sure if it's been answered already... is there a dialog audio language select option? Somehow doubt it with the amount of audio likely present, but I can dream.

Sort of lame they changed English VA but kept the same JP VA.

Kalor

I've read some reviews/previews and I'm far more interested in the game than I was before. There aren't a lot of open world stealth games so seeing it apparently done right sounds really appealing. I don't mind the reduced focus on cutscenes as Ground Zeroes was really fun to play and whatever story is there should be interesting based on what I've read.

Also not having to stop and listen to the Codec all the time if you want to hear most of the conversations sounds great to me. Being able to listen to tapes while travelling to your objective sounds a lot better to me.

Tapes are also very appropriate because of the whole cassette culture which was the main mean of communication for Afghani mujaheddin and their sympathisers in the 1980s.

So, if you're roaming the desert and stumble upon a 20 minutes long tape on war and its moral justifications, well, that's more realistic than you might have thought!

I know they've been around since Peace Walker and this is purely coincidental, but it doesn't make it any less cool.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Review events suck, full stop. I don't give a shit how much time you're allocated or whatever. You're unable to play at your own pace, in your own comfort, and within your own control. It's a crock of shit. You can't boot up the game whenever you want to replay things or fact check or simply re-experience content. You can't marathon based on your own schedule, you have to work within theirs. You get what you're given, finish as much as you can in X amount of time, and catch you later. It's a controlled environment through and through, and I don't give a fuck if you finished the game during; you're not qualified to review it.

Our journo could only spend three hours there. He's fairly new to the series, so instead of tugging our cocks and pretending like we're experts on the series based on three hours of controlled environment play, we put it up as a preview from the perspective of someone going in relatively fresh.

I sympathise with journos who hate the situation, but I'm not treating controlled reviews as developed, committed, articulated analysis of a game's strengths and weaknesses. Rushing to get content out in time for the embargo drop is bad enough. Review events are piss incarnate.

Yes, but unfortunately what you define as Metal Gear matters only to you, because you didn't invent nor direct nor design the series that indisputably started in 1987. You're free to be disappointed, subjectivity and taste and all that. But please.

Arnie7

Banned
Metal Gear Solid with each entry changes and evolves its gameplay. People saying this is not their metal gear game they want (in terms of tapes, open world and story complaints) feels a bit like the older generation beamoaning the new.

Griss

I kinda feel Metal Gear as a series, given its 28 years running, diversity in ideas and settings and stories, transitions between hardware and the strengths that brings to game development, and the various entry points fans have come in has given the franchise a Zelda like quality where people have different ideas of what constitutes as the most important parts of a Metal Gear game for them. There are some fans who, from their perspective, simply use the gameplay as short vessels between Hollywood-like produced in-engine cinematics for an excessively convoluted story. There's some more fascinated by what each game brings to the table in play, boss fights, and stealth. And the rest of the fans fall somewhere in between on the (lets call it) Kojima scale.

I mostly agree with duckroll's interpretation of the most consistent, reoccurring franchise tropes that define its identity. And also that each game seems to change things up a bit and introduce new things that by default are change, but better/worse depends on the person playing.

Like I don't think you can say the series is all about Hollywood style cinematics in excess, because you're really ignoring the first two MSX games that hadn't the tech to accomplish this. Solid introduced this style, and even so it can't be ignored that drastic changes and evolution of the stealth systems in play were just as important with each entry. MGS4 and PW are probably the only two oddballs that disrupted the pattern a bit, the former leaning much heavier towards narrative/cinematics and themes over play, and the latter adding to play some major concepts that don't directly correlate to "tactical stealth" (like Monster Hunt style co-op bosses).

I'm not sure it matters what the entry points were so much as what it was when it grabbed you. I played both Metal Gears as a kid but never really gave a fuck about the series until it went Solid. (And even then I wasn't really enticed back until the MGS2, and had to work backwards).

I don't care what it began as so much as what the core parts of the experience were when it started to truly engage me.

As for review events, agreed entirely, and Eurogamer proves they're a cut above yet again by refusing to review under those conditions.

Anyway, this game leaves me in the odd position of genuinely believing that cutting the bullshit, focussing on the gameplay and finally getting an 'editor' to cut down Kojima's worst excesses with dialogue and cutscenes will make for a far, far better videogame than the likes of MGS4, yet strongly desiring that we got a weaker, more unfocussed videogame for nostalgia's sake. It ain't rational, but hey, this is entertainment not politics, I can afford to be irrational.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't think Greg Miller's review really spoils much of anything unless you're unfamiliar with how open world games structure their missions or how Peace Walker did things.

Kojima's always been a better game designer than a movie director as far as I'm concerned. The story and cutscenes were just what elevated. And it's not like MGS4 wasn't a step up in ways from MGS3 in gameplay either, the game just got severely sandwiched among cutscenes.

Kikujiro

Sounds amazing, especially the part where they say Kojima wrote less to show more, after that shitty fanfiction named MGS4 I feared for another narrative trainwreck. It seems like Kojima understood his own limits and made a great game focused on gameplay narrative.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone saying it isn't a Metal Gear game, besides the creators, is wrong. Nobody gets that choice. Not unlike DmC vs DMC4, they're both Devil May Cry and people just gotta deal with it.

Ricky_R

The Riddles get really fun and satisfying when you get to 10. Having it quantified to such a small amount, and the story starts kicking off again... It's really great, and worth blasting through the other 240 for, imo.

I really liked the design because some open world have too much 'optional' content. When you need 100% to get the game's ending, none of the content is 'optional'. The developers are saying, categorically: 'Here is what you need to do to finish the game. Go have fun doing it.' Rather than, say, in Ubisoft games: 'So if you want to 'finish' the game, do twenty of these mediocre story missions and see 1/5th of the gameworld. But, if you want, there are also all these hundreds of things you can do, just if you want. Some of them might be shit, some might be great, but you won't know until you go try!'

Imo the quality of content overall is diluted in games like that when so much stuff is optional and just there in the world. I reckon MGSV's more focused main missions and side-ops that impact all your abilities and resources will sidestep this - along with the fact that getting the 'True' ending will probably be meaningful and well-signposted, more like in Arkham Knight, making it all pretty satisfying.

I still think that hiding a full, more satisfying ending behind every single mission that's not part of the main story, in an open world game, is somewhat of a shitty thing to do. You're basically forcing the player to go through stuff that he might not be interested in just to see the complete ending.

You're having fun with the riddles. I'm loathing them already and I have more than 200 to go.

I'm sure I will feel the same with MGSV, specially since it seems to be a longer game. It's is what it is though.

Wvrs

My hype is still fully blazing. So many questions.

What happened in the 9 year coma?

How will the hospital go down?

Who is Ishmael?

How does Skull Face/XOF fit into this?

Will we see Outer Heaven rise from Mother Base?

How will Les Enfant Terrible play out?

Etc etc. And as a Linguist the whole story about linguistic determinism has me hyped as fuck. I'll listen to every tape, explore every side-op, observe every conversation I can. This is the only game I'll need for months.

The wait is torture.

Pompadour

Thats what confuses me. The story was my favorite part of MGS, and now reviewers are giving it GREAT reviews and talking about the lack of story. Guess everyone finds something different to love about this series.

When I was 12 the story of MGS is what made that game special and the story of MGS4 is what made that game nearly unplayable. Yes, 4's story is much worse than the original MGS's but there was a lot of novelty to a game with full voice acting and cinematic cutscenes. Now that gaming has evolved cutscenes are kind of regarded as a obtuse way to communicate a story.

Plus, it's a really goofy story. Watching those "MGS explained in X minutes" in the other thread nailed how completely ridiculous it is. Other clone brother who is also the President of the United States sounds like something I'd make up as a kid. People recommending that you play the games in order so you can get accustomed to the absurd world of MGS reminds me of how ex-Scientologists say they never told people about Xenu and all that other stuff until they were deep into it because if they were told about it immediately they just turn around and walk away.

Skele7on

Banned
So, riddle me this: did people get to play the full story, or was the ending really cut off?

I'm talking and it seems like some were only given five hours to play.

So even with chicken hat, getting to the end would be a bloody hard ask.

ValeYard

These reviews are great. Does anyone else feel sad that Konami, an apparently abhorrent company, is associated with this game? I feel bad for preordering it :(

Very happy for Kojima though.

Arnie7

Banned
More gameplay, less story, sounds great to me.

Instead of "less story" I think people should change that to "unconventional story presentation". It's just that instead of 20min cut scenes you'll have the story told through gameplay and other means - it doesn't mean that there will be less. Something that makes the gaming medium distinct from films.

Slowdive

Banned
So, riddle me this: did people get to play the full story, or was the ending really cut off?

The ending was cut off for community sites, press got retail copies which has the ending, then there's the true ending which seems few people have seen.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Some people did, at least that's what they think lol.

Greg Miller played for over 54 hours and got overall completion 49%.

So i highly doubt any of the other reviewers got to 100% yet, maybe something happens then? would be a very Kojima thing to do something but nobody knows for sure.

Draft

Also impressed the presumptive game of the year (perhaps even game of the generation) runs at 60 frames per second.

Your move, cinematic obsessed Western developers.

Top Bottom