• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Will not Have a Preload on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

Well I'll be starting the download in the morning, then go to buy my PS4 copy which I'll play at least until the download is complete.

I'll be doing some comparisons myself but hopefully DF will have a proper one up soon after release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the countdown is for when it switches from bundle to single purchase. the game can be loaded and played from 5am BST on sept 1st

The countdown timer is tied to when the game unlocks. That's why the text says "This game will unlock in..." and appears on store pages for games that cannot be pre-purchased.

Edit
When a game unlocks, its pre-purchase period ends. Maybe Konami will put the pre-purchase subs back up for a limited time, but it seems to me that "The pre-purchase period runs until the store updates at 10am PT" is predicated on the false belief that 10am PT is the one and only point of the day that Valve makes alterations to the store.

Spaghetti

The countdown timer is tied to when the game unlocks. That's why the text says "This game will unlock in..." and appears on store pages for games that cannot be pre-purchased.
which konami are saying is when the store page updates and the pre-order bonuses are gone, but they've also reiterated the game unlocks before that point. not the nz midnight we were told, but still earlier than the page update.

until it doesn't unlock when it's supposed to (at which point konami will very quickly know something is wrong), i'm putting my money on the 5am BST unlock time.

JimPanzer

which konami are saying is when the store page updates and the pre-order bonuses are gone, but they've also reiterated the game unlocks before that point. not the nz midnight we were told, but still earlier than the page update.

until it doesn't unlock when it's supposed to (at which point konami will very quickly know something is wrong), i'm putting my money on the 5am BST unlock time.

BullShiT

;)

JaseC

I'm not saying the game won't unlock at the point Konami has stated; I'm saying a worldwide unlock precludes the pre-purchase period being extended. The way Steam works is that a game's pre-order subs are replaced with their post-release equivalents when a game unlocks, but Konami is free to take matters into its own hands and put the pre-purchase subs back up if it so chooses; however, everything Peeler and co. have said suggests that Konami is under the impression that 10am PT is the one and only point of the day that Valve updates the store -- i.e. the pre-purchase period runs until 10am PT because that's when the store updates and Valve does stuff.

Spaghetti

I'm not saying the game won't unlock at the point Konami has stated; I'm saying a worldwide unlock precludes the pre-purchase period being extended. The way Steam works is that a game's pre-order subs are replaced with their post-release equivalents when a game unlocks, but Konami is free to take matters into its own hands and put the pre-purchase subs back up if it so chooses; however, everything Peeler and co. have said suggests that Konami is under the impression that 10am PT is the one and only point of the day that Valve updates the store -- i.e. the pre-purchase period runs until 10am PT because that's when the store updates and Valve does stuff.
i'm just going on what they've said. i know they've flip flopped on times, and said this is common when we know it isn't, but at this point i just want the game to unlock at 5am september 1st and fuck everything else that's happening at that point.

Klossen

Banned
Semi-related but damn, MGSV has been the top-selling game on Steam all week now. And it's not even out. I wonder what Steamspy will show two or three weeks after release.

Spaghetti

Semi-related but damn, MGSV has been the top-selling game on Steam all week now. And it's not even out. I wonder what Steamspy will show two or three weeks after release.
for context, ground zeroes gained around 50,000 more owners since the GZ/TPP bundle went up for pre-order.

not sure if that counts duplicate owners or not though

JaseC

i'm just going on what they've said. i know they've flip flopped on times, and said this is common when we know it isn't, but at this point i just want the game to unlock at 5am september 1st and fuck everything else that's happening at that point.

Ah, right. Apologies.

not sure if that counts duplicate owners or not though

It doesn't. While you can have multiple licences for the one app, SteamSpy isn't privy to such information; you either own an app or you don't.

I was hoping to get a good deal for MGSV on steam but I haven't see any yet. So since I'm gonna be waiting anyways, guess I'm fine without the pre-load lol

Kindekuma

Banned
Welp, was really looking forward to playing Monday morning, but I could still DL and have the game ready AT midnight since it unlocks at 11pm in my timezone Monday night.

Man Monday is going to be a long fuckin' day.

RedSwirl

really? were they steamworks titles?

i don't buy retail anymore, but i have a friend who usually does. he does it mainly for a box on his shelf because 9 times out of 10 there's no actual game data on the disk.

not unexpected though. seems nobody outside press and industry has access to the pc version until the 1st with zero exceptions.

I've bought several steamworks games physically and they all contain the Steam key and discs containing the 1.0 version of the game.

This has been the case for (in my experience):
The Orange Box
Left 4 Dead 2
RAGE
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim (regular and Legendary, though I think the Legendary disc only contains the base game and you download the DLC)
Dishonored
Bioshock Infinite
Every Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 2 I believe
Wolfenstein: The New Order
The Evil Within

Of course these days they're on like four DVDs most of the time.

This is one of times that I can say I'm glad I have TWC... they just recently upgraded my connection from 30Mbps to 100Mbps. :D

hahah, same thing just recently happened to me as well. It's the first time I was like, "TWC did something good."

Google Fiber comin' to town?

spuckthew

Isn't it $60? I thought maybe it deducts the cost of GZ if Steam sees you have it, but I logged in and it was the same price (£45 / $60).

Kindekuma

Banned
Isn't it $60? I thought maybe it deducts the cost of GZ if Steam sees you have it, but I logged in and it was the same price (£45 / $60).

Hmm no it's still $59.99, I have GZ in my library prior and the only discount I got was because I had a steam gift card.

Still, getting GZ free to give away, the documentary and bonuses are nice incentive to pre purchase. Plus an earlier playtime on Tuesday at 12am.

spuckthew

I wish there was like a 'standard' edition or something. £45 is fantastic value for GZ + the goodies, but I have GZ and am not interested in the extra stuff. I'd pre-purchase in a heartbeat for just the game at £35.

Chariot

I wish there was like a 'standard' edition or something. £45 is fantastic value for GZ + the goodies, but I have GZ and am not interested in the extra stuff. I'd pre-purchase in a heartbeat for just the game at £35.
Then buying an nvidia key from someone in BST is perfect for you.

Urthor

Also https://twitter.com/Ken1555/status/637902534074437632

This pretty much explains why they didn't preload. If they basically skipped summer vacation to move the steam launch date up they probably did just the bare minimum because that's all they had time for, and now they have no time to spare for Steam because they're gearing up for the post release patch cycle.

Not a question of incompetence, they simply didn't have the time and were in fact burning vacation time.

onken

Yeah was gonna get on PS4 but caved for the preorder deal. Definitely thought the lack of preload was strange. But the ambiguity behind the actual release date is way more annoying, I don't want to take an afternoon off and be staring at the store page the whole time.

sueil

Well at least my internet speed got bumped up a bit. Getting 150 Mbit now instead of 100mbit. Shouldn't take too long to download the game.

Spaghetti

This pretty much explains why they didn't preload. If they basically skipped summer vacation to move the steam launch date up they probably did just the bare minimum because that's all they had time for, and now they have no time to spare for Steam because they're gearing up for the post release patch cycle.

Not a question of incompetence, they simply didn't have the time and were in fact burning vacation time.
pretty cool the kojipro staff sacrificed their vacation like that for the sake of getting the pc version out day and date with consoles.

unless they were forced not to take a vacation lest they end up cleaning health clubs forever.

I'm not seeing what this has to do with the conflicting info about the release... no one is commenting about the hard work being done on the PC version, people are complaining about perfectly simple release information being badly bungled. Your confusing Koji Pro development talent with Konami not being familiar with steam region minutiae or customary unlock times.

No one in here is criticizing the developers, even reading the last page or any of JaseC's posts would tell you what this thread is about.

Even reading the tweet that Ken-ichiro was responding to would tell you that it has no relevance to the discussion in here...so ultimately, no it doesn't "pretty much explain why there was no preload" builds of pre released games are submitted to the steam depot, when they unlock or are available for download is down to the publisher in consultation with Valve.

No one is being ungrateful for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom