• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

I just watched Gametrailer's Metro Redux report, and I think the Huber hype got to me. He mentioned that he played the original with Russian VA and subtitles, and I'm now tempted to do the same with Redux. Those who have played, would you recommend the Russian VA or the English? I've read that the background chatter does not have English subtitles, which could be a real bummer.

Restarted and it seems to have fixed itself, hopefully it doesn't happen again!

NPC ai is still hilarious, could see them aiming at random bits of the wall instead of the monsters.

What about new (maybe) PhysX 3.x effects?
Awesome smoke effects seem to have been turned down a bit, lots of nice rubble when you shoot at walls though. Looks nicer than I remember it doing in the original.

Chiggs

Gold Member
What graphical setting is the Playstation 4 using? The framerate seems quite nice, but the visuals seem to be lacking when compared to a PC running on Very High...and even High.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
K just started up on PC version, running maxed and while its 60, there is a constant stutter as if the game is constantly loading the next room. Gonna check drivers and try tommorrow, something is up.

Should I play Survival or Spartan in 2033?

2033 was much more survival focused than Last Light. Pretty limited supplies of ammo which forced you to conserve whereas in Last Light you can be pretty careless and still get by even on Ranger Hardcore. I'd certainly recommend playing the mode that's supposed to be in that spirit, but it's hard to say how much the two play-styles differ given they're new to redux. Will say I recommend Ranger Hardcore though, having no hud and having to look for visual indications of your remaining ammo really adds a lot to the immersion of the game.

Fbh

What graphical setting is the Playstation 4 using? The framerate seems quite nice, but the visuals seem to be lacking when compared to a PC running on Very High...and even High.

From what I've read it seems to be close to high on PC... minus the motion blur.

It's the price of locked 60fps on consoles

Mechazawa

Gotta say, mildly disappointed with how much they've actually touched up the 2033 shooting mechanics. There's still some floatiness to the weapon handling and from what little I've played of Last Light, the shooting sound effects don't pack the same bite in Redux.

Will say the new shadow work looks great, definitely something that stands out as being improved from the original version in my mind.

Have to stop dumping ammo, horrible habit. Lol.

Is this up on the PSN store yet? Thinking about an impulse buy

You don't think about an impulse buy, you just:
giphy.gif

No it's not up and probably won't be until Sony's regular Tuesday update.

SparkTR

From what I've read it seems to be close to high on PC... minus the motion blur.

It's the price of locked 60fps on consoles

Can't they let you choose? Metro 2033 is one of those visual show-piece games that I wouldn't mind running at 30 with all the bells and whistles. Sub-high settings seems a bit excessive there. Hell, even on PC I'm probably just going to replay the original since it looks better by accounts here.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm blind, but the old method of changing the fov through the user.cfg file doesn't appear to be an option anymore.

NVM I found it.

Ransu said:
Edit the one in C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro Redux\1100001027216da and you'll see that there's an FOV setting in it. You may need to set the file to read-only after editing and saving it. The game uses vertical FOV so you should only set it to like 60 or so(mine is at 63 and I play in 1080p). This will also affect the first-person models so try not to set it too high or else things will look weird.

Going to bed but someone who is going to continue to play should see how that scene looks in the new version. Seems like the smoke has been dramatically reduced in most places, but I'm not sure how the motion blur is. Those are from the original in motion(ie, fast camera turn) to be clear.

B_Signal

Going to bed but someone who is going to continue to play should see how that scene looks in the new version. Seems like the smoke has been dramatically reduced in most places, but I'm not sure how the motion blur is. Those are from the original in motion(ie, fast camera turn) to be clear.
If that's the bit I think, collapsing the tunnels, then there's definitely less smoke. I played it on the PC, dunno if that will make a difference, but I could see most of the way down the hall, certainly the first 3 or so entrances

I've never really played these games, thinking about getting Redux on PS4. Reviews are getting me hype :)

EDIT: Okay hype deflated, it's not out til September 4 in Australia and is $80. I thought they might go cheaper seeing as it's a re-release :(

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
According to the Metro twitter account digital release time for XB1 is 8.00PM EDT, Sony sets the release time on PS4. Kind of sucks the timing is so late, I'm assuming that's 8.00PM on the 26th BTW.
Well looks like the twitter account / MS made a lier out of me, got up this morning and it's up for grabs on the Xbox One store (couldn't find it on smartglass or the website however), bought and now at work so will hopefully have two new games to play when I get home! Hope the impulse buy was worth it!
I've never really played these games, thinking about getting Redux on PS4. Reviews are getting me hype :)

EDIT: Okay hype deflated, it's not out til September 4 in Australia and is $80. I thought they might go cheaper seeing as it's a re-release :(
Can you buy from the US digital store?

I played Metro 2033 on the Xbox 360 a while ago, and I beat Metro LL shortly after I got my gaming PC. I like 2033 better; it had more emphasis on stealth and survival.

I am on the fence about buying the whole redux bundle for 25$; I doubt I would be busy playing them when I have a large backlog of games and classes soon.

On a side note, Physx was extremely stupid in LL. I remember having the frame rate drop to sub something like 8 FPS when there were no smoke/lighting/cloth effects around. I recently started playing it and the problem was fixed. It would be nice if the game was interconnected and you could backtrack.

So can I assume the steam unlock of Metro 2033 Redux is not happening at Pacific Mid Night like originally state on their twitter?

RyudBoy

You are killing my hype... ):

Please somebody save it!

To be fair, this only happened once. They usually spot you if you're in their line of sight, or knocking shit over and making noise.

Don't let this put you off if you're thinking about buying the game. BUY IT!

Nodnol

God bless region-free consoles.

I've never played either game, and was always going to pick this up and dive straight in. Being in the UK, this isn't released till the end of the week, but for some reason it only dawned on me today that I'd be able to buy it from the US store. I've done that all generation to save a couple of quid, so I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Doh!

Downloading now, and should be ready for when I get back from work.

Hey Dictator, I tracked down your old post about the Russian VA:

The only problem are the side conversations. I find the english voice acting poor, but the german VO is a bit better (though the children VO in the German is freaking scary bad) so I use that for my first play through... and then russian afterward. Otherwise you cannot hear all the awesome stuff all the people to the side are talking about!

Would you recommend sticking with English VA for the first time through? I was sort of hoping the Russian VA would be more immersive, but I'd hate to miss interesting side conversations...

Hey Dictator, I tracked down your old post about the Russian VA:

Would you recommend sticking with English VA for the first time through? I was sort of hoping the Russian VA would be more immersive, but I'd hate to miss interesting side conversations...

Yeah, sucks to say "do that," since how great the RUssian VA sounds for atmospheric purposes.. but yeah. If it is your first time playing the game, learning back story or just anything through listening on side conversations or soldier conversation is worth it.

If you play it a second time and you already heard all convos, it is easy to turn on RUssian and just enjoy it that way.

Sucks there are no subtitles for those conversations.. but it "kinda" technically makes sense given how many can occuring simultaneuously if you run around a bunch.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Initial comment on the Bourbon section:

The part with Bourbon killing the drunk bandit has been taken out. No more "watch how Uncle Bourbon works." :(

misho8723

Banned
Initial comment on the Bourbon section:

The part with Bourbon killing the drunk bandit has been taken out. No more "watch how Uncle Bourbon works." :(

I missed this scene almost every time i played 2033, so this doesn't bother me much... one another change bothers me though in a different level

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
And a couple of bugs:

1. ADS sometimes won't work (weapon switching fixes it).
2. I just had all diary entries from an earlier level get lost.

I just recollected them and lost them from another level. So much for that achievement.

Comment on a change in Market:

The hookah pipe from the bar has been removed. Now, you pay 5 bullets for a drink, which has a shorter version of the inebriated effect on you. The bartender gets so drunk, he falls over. Also, a shooting gallery was added.

Also!

Both games just received updates, 1.2 GB for 2033, 1.7 GB for LL. No notes yet.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Is it me or everyone? The Smoke in the original added a bit of ambiance, since smoke doesn't dissipate so quickly in Tunnels.

epmode

Seems to be a half-assed PC port, just like Last Light. QTEs, a keyboard-unfriendly weapon switching mechanic, ridiculously low FOV (which can thankfully be changed in a config file). There's also apparently no way to get triple buffering since D3DOverrider doesn't work with DX11 and the developers didn't include the option.

Top Bottom