• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

misho8723

Banned
-Gunplay more like cod isn't what I consider better.
-Blended loading screens is good.
-Ai that can see you through walls or last light Ai that's dumber than a bag of sand. I'll take the wallers thanks.

I hate frustration, so i take the AI from LL - playing 2033 original right now on Ranger mode, fuck, stealth just doesn't work (played the game first when it come out in 2010)..

Gunplay in LL is more like Half-Life 2.. you really like shooting mechanics from the original? yeah, they are more hardcore and make the game more survival and harder, but if enemies don't react to being shoot at, then for me that means the gunplay is fucked..
And now i can play 2033 with better gunplay but still with the survival edge (Survival mode + Ranger Hardcore).. and this also applies to LL too now

I still can't tell from youtube vids it the PS4 version has motion blur. Can anyone clarify?

They do. $25 each digitally. $12.50 on steam if you have the original version.

Youtube is horrible for this.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_metro_redux_uncovered_trailer-32682_en.html

the 60 fps version here has scenes which undoubtably must be from the PS4 version. I see obvious motionblur on chracter limbs and enemy creatures.

I hate frustration, so i take the AI from LL - playing 2033 original right now on Ranger mode, fuck, stealth just doesn't work (played the game first when it come out in 2010)..

Gunplay in LL is more like Half-Life 2.. you really like shooting mechanics from the original? yeah, they are more hardcore and make the game more survival and harder, but if enemies don't react to being shoot at, then for me that means the gunplay is fucked..
And now i can play 2033 with better gunplay but still with the survival edge (Survival mode + Ranger Hardcore).. and this also applies to LL too now

While playing 2033 again the other week I realized how there were many thing in it that I missed from LL. Namely checking my watch, equiping my knife, equipping grenades, cooking grenades, slashing with throwing knives, etc...

I also enjoyed the slower more purposeful animations for loading, charging, compressing air, switching weapons etc... the game had a much slower pace in general that I appreciate.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Youtube is horrible for this.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_metro_redux_uncovered_trailer-32682_en.html

the 60 fps version here has scenes which undoubtably must be from the PS4 version. I see obvious motionblur on chracter limbs and enemy creatures.
Cool, that's what I was hoping. My laptop and PS3 both die trying to play back that video at full quality. I assumed it was just subtle and Youtube compression masked it. It's such and important part of Metro's visual makeup that I didn't expect it to not be there.

Steam's got Metro 2033 up for $4, I'm tempted to pick it up for the 50% discount I'll get for the redux version of 2033.

Suggestions?

Also, I'm running one GTX670 FTW, I should be alright, yeah?

Facism

Steam's got Metro 2033 up for $4, I'm tempted to pick it up for the 50% discount I'll get for the redux version of 2033.

Suggestions?

Also, I'm running one GTX670 FTW, I should be alright, yeah?

i was alright with last light on 660gtx and a 3.0ghz Phenom II quadcore. If your cpu is better than my ancient one, you'll be laughing all the way
until you get to that room

misho8723

Banned
While playing 2033 again the other week I realized how there were many thing in it that I missed from LL. Namely checking my watch, equiping my knife, equipping grenades, cooking grenades, slashing with throwing knives, etc...

I also enjoyed the slower more purposeful animations for loading, charging, compressing air, switching weapons etc... the game had a much slower pace in general that I appreciate.

Well, now you can check your watch in the Redux version of 2033 and LL..but yeah, i too missed equipping my knifes, grenades, etc.. and from what i have heard, the Survival mode makes reloading guns, switching weapons, etc. slower than in LL.. anyway, i personally have the opinion, that LL for the most time is the slower game when it comes to pace: for instance - the metro stations: in 2033 you have nothing to do there and it almost entirely consists of one linear path - in LL you have more side paths (streets?), more things to do (like watching the show, go to the bar and get trunk, killing rats, finding a teddybear for a boy, etc.)..
When i first finished 2033, i had the impression i had played a STALKER game in a CoD fashion-way - on the other hand, when i finished LL this year, I thought that i have played a new Half-life 2 game :) ..
2033 is more horror/survival and a clunky gameplay (which is in almost every horror survival game) but too many missions when you are following another NPC, but LL has better pacing, better gameplay and still some great horror moments - but was very easy even in Ranger mode.. but the boss battle with that mutant-bear was fantastic (that the bear was only protecting his children and you didn't need to kill him), and some of the DLC missions are one of the best in the entire series..

Well, now you can check your watch in the Redux version of 2033 and LL..but yeah, i too missed equipping my knifes, grenades, etc.. and from what i have heard, the Survival mode makes reloading guns, switching weapons, etc. slower than in LL.. anyway, i personally have the opinion, that LL for the most time is the slower game when it comes to pace, like the metro stations - in 2033 you have nothing to do there and it almost entirely consists of one linear path - in LL you have more side paths (streets?), more things to do (like watching the show, go to the bar and get trunk, killing rats, finding a teddybear for a boy, etc.)..
When i first finished 2033, i had the impression i had played a STALKER game in a CoD fashion-way - on the other hand, when i finished LL this year, I thought that i have played a new Half-life 2 game :) ..
2033 is more horror/survival and a clunky gameplay (which is in almost every horror survival game) but too many missions when you are following another NPC, but LL has better pacing, better gameplay and still some great horror moments - but was very easy even in Ranger mode.. but the boss battle with that mutant-bear was fantastic (that the bear was only protecting his children and you didn't need to kill him), and some of the DLC missions are one of the best in the entire series..

Yes the DLC missions in general are absolutely fantastic. I have to agree that the stations in general have a greater atmosphere and are quite awesome.

I do get the feeling though that there was an oversimplification of some game elements just for the purpose of being a better fit to the controler (instant knife attacks, not equpiging the charger but rather toggling it, etc...).

I am still sure that I will get 2033 Redux, but first I need to know how it scales to Tri-SLI.

Metro 2033 is one of the best scaling games in history with 100% Tri.SLI scaling at all times basically. Metro LL on the other hand scales poorly even in normal SLI at times and Tri.SLI can in some scenarios be completely broken. The only way to fix it is to use a SLI bit which breaks the games lens flares (they show through walls). I can only hope that the guys at 4a have fixed some of these problems...

Deadbeat

Banned
yeah, they are more hardcore and make the game more survival and harder, but if enemies don't react to being shoot at, then for me that means the gunplay is fucked..
You just arent aiming properly. Enemies have armor in 2033. When you shoot the plates on them, no damage is done (until they break off after a few shots). When you shoot in between the plates they drop fast. There was nothing wrong with the hit detection in the game. Body armor isnt for show in 2033. It actually means something on the player model.

You just arent aiming properly. Enemies have armor in 2033. When you shoot the plates on them, no damage is done (until they break off after a few shots). When you shoot in between the plates they drop fast. There was nothing wrong with the hit detection in the game. Body armor isnt for show in 2033. It actually means something on the player model.

This is totally in LL too (they teach it to you on the first level in the shooting range), it is just that most of the early game enemies do not have any of the body armor. Only 1 area in the first 3 levels have guys wearing actual body armor (2 heavies before an elevator).

RoKKeR

Urgh. The first (unofficial I guess) OT was great. This one is a mess on mobile, unreadable.

I'm looking into this. Has something to do with the indents. Patience, I had to rush this out because the OT was put up before it should have been.

Edit: The OT has been updated to support mobile now. I am keeping some of the indentation because it looks nice on desktop view and organizes the information well, but otherwise it should be much more viewable on mobile. Thanks.

Deadbeat

Banned
This is totally in LL too (they teach it to you on the first level in the shooting range), it is just that most of the early game enemies do not have any of the body armor. Only 1 area in the first 3 levels have guys wearing actual body armor (2 heavies before an elevator).
Its a bit more simplified though and thats what I hated about it. Along with the faster more forgiving gunplay.

misho8723

Banned

I was talking about mutants.. but even human enemies didn't reacted like they should have - getting shot in the leg when a human is running, i think that should make him fall or something like that.. but nooo in 2033.. but anyway, my main problem is with the mutants and with the guns handling - i like STALKER gunplay on which many people were complaining, but the gunplay in Metro 2033 is just clunky.. for me personally, the best gunplay was in Half-Life 2 and LL has almost as good as HL2.. when you like the gunplay in 2033 better, ok, i have nothing against that but it's just not for me

seph1roth

For those who have the game...

What about the "interlude" scenes while charging? The trailer said that separate levels will be connected...

And it's true they added secret areas? It's only on 2033 or in LL too?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For those who have the game...

What about the "interlude" scenes while charging? The trailer said that separate levels will be connected...

And it's true they added secret areas? It's only on 2033 or in LL too?
I think the added explorable areas are just for 2033.

MaLDo

I am still sure that I will get 2033 Redux, but first I need to know how it scales to Tri-SLI.

Metro 2033 is one of the best scaling games in history with 100% Tri.SLI scaling at all times basically. Metro LL on the other hand scales poorly even in normal SLI at times and Tri.SLI can in some scenarios be completely broken. The only way to fix it is to use a SLI bit which breaks the games lens flares (they show through walls). I can only hope that the guys at 4a have fixed some of these problems...

They are aware of the problem and I chat frequently with Sub (from 4A) about that problem. For the moment there isn't a definitive answer about it. He has a link to your "geforce sli forums" thread too.

MarkV

OK, I have compared all the gamersyde footage. And as long as that footage is at the highest quality settings... they have totally removed a number of volumetric lights.

Enemy and friendly haed lamps, large spot lights, small environmental ones, etc... All gone. I could do some comparison shots or vids if anyone is curious of the largest offenders. (and I do comparisons much better than those websites...)

I'd like to see some of your comparisons.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I agree with you, the tessellation looked better (if a tad exaggerated) in the original. The lighting in these two pictures seems to have undergone a massive downgrade.

What a shame, truly.

They refined the tessellation to look more realistic.

and in the second image they added global illumination.

Not a massive downgrade. In fact, its a rather big upgrade.

I am having trouble finding it, but Nvidia posted a technical PDF a couple of months ago about the full tesselation implemenation into Metro Last Light and for Metro Reux which showcased a number of cool use cases and errors in their implementation. They probably have revised it in Redux.

JohnGrimm

You can check yor watch in the original 2033. If you're playing on PC, it's bound to T. It's even synced to your PC's clock and shows you how much air is left. The only difference is that it's analogue instead of digital.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I am having trouble finding it, but Nvidia posted a technical PDF a couple of months ago about the full tesselation implemenation into Metro Last Light and for Metro Reux which showcased a number of cool use cases and errors in their implementation. They probably have revised it in Redux.
Do we know for sure if there's no tesselation on console for Redux? I wouldn't be surprised but it could be a situation like Sniper Elite 3 where DF thought there wasn't but it was running a lower setting for consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm wondering how I should play 2033, all these modes are a bit confusing. Survival + Ranger sounds brutal.
Survival mode for 2033 and Spartan mode for Last Light are basically what the original releases were. They just give you the option to play either game in either style.

seph1roth

Last Light with stealth and gunplay improvements + Survival + Ranger mode = BEST FPS EXPERIENCE OF THE GEN...well, old gen...mostly...

XD

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
too much graphical talk in this thread men! Let's focus on the gameplay and the great atmosphere these games have
I can't talk about that until I play them and that's not for another week :(

I have played a couple hours of Last Light on PS3 but was kind of rushing through it and dropped it once Redux got announced. Going to savor both games this time.

You can check yor watch in the original 2033. If you're playing on PC, it's bound to T. It's even synced to your PC's clock and shows you how much air is left. The only difference is that it's analogue instead of digital.

Oh I know. :D Hence why I commented on it.

In Metro Last Light, Artyoms watch is not Digital... it actually uses glorious analogue Nixie Tubes.

The more you know. :D

BTW which quality settings has PS4/one? High or Very High?

On videos i don't see so much difference but tessellation.

Perhaps our good friend roboplato can help us with any eventual comparisons.

Do we know for sure if there's no tesselation on console for Redux? I wouldn't be surprised but it could be a situation like Sniper Elite 3 where DF thought there wasn't but it was running a lower setting for consoles.

It could and should be using monster displacement. May or nay not be using the character tesselation... and is definitely not using environment tesselation.

eyeless

is there really no survival mode like 2033 in original last light

also what do they mean by gameplay improvements for ll

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm going to preorder 2033 Redux, but not LL. It's just not enough of an upgrade, and these bright outdoors screens aren't making me hopeful that it would be an improvement.

JohnGrimm

Oh I know. :D Hence why I commented on it.

In Metro Last Light, Artyoms watch is not Digital... it actually uses glorious analogue Nixie Tubes.

The more you know. :D
The watch in the original 2033 release is analogue. Redux uses the same one from Last Light.

2011-04-22_00002.jpg

Leb

The watch in the original 2033 release is analogue. Redux uses the same one from Last Light.

2011-04-22_00002.jpg

Both, actually. In Redux, when not playing in Survival mode, you have the LL watch. When playing in Survival mode, however, you have the original 2033 watch.

JohnGrimm

Both, actually. In Redux, when not playing in Survival mode, you have the LL watch. When playing in Survival mode, however, you have the original 2033 watch.
Really? Huh, that's pretty neat of 4A to include something as small as that.

Top Bottom