• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

DragonGirl said:
It's finally posted. My long promised and long delayed looking back article for Other M. As is usual for my Metroid series posts, it's a long read, so set aside a little time before you dive in.

Nice write-up. I dig the idea of holograms vs reality being used as a full-game "dual-world" mechanic. I also like the creator's right vs. fan expectations angle. For myself, I have to say I think the creator at least has the obligation to keep his facts straight. I'm still bugged by the inconsistency with Samus' height, for example, which I posted about many pages back.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
@DragonGirl: this is an excellent write up and does make fair criticisms of the story. In this thread I've defended the game to a great degree, but from my perspective, it was against people jumping to overblown conclusions and being unfair in their own hatred of virtually every detail of the game. Fanboyism run amok.

I thought the constant dismissal of the game as "sexist trash" was off the mark and also short sighted, because it was clear that what people really wanted was for the game to not exist, which is also just boring. I agree that the game at the core isn't inherently trying to be sexist or create a negative female portrayal. It's just highly imperfect and creates incorrect inferences that the player / viewer of the story has to stop and think through to try and understand what the script meant to do.

The lack of Samus' Chozo childhood in the game is actually a big point that was overlooked by many. I think that's a big indication of the direction in Other M's story being mishandled. If one thinks about it, the Chozo basically do not even exist in Other M. There's virtually no reference to them, even in connection with Samus' suit most of the time.

The problem is that this creates an unintended sense of retcon. Samus' more complex history is funneled into the one specific part of her backstory the game is exploring; it's myopic storytelling and that's part of what makes various scenes come off the wrong way. That lack of greater context, again.

By not exploring the Chozo, you remove part of the background that makes Samus seem inherently stronger on her own. The notion of a young orphan thrown into a very alien world, surviving, and becoming powerful, gives Samus a hard edge. Ironically, I think that could have been worked into the Ripley freeze as a positive element! It would make Ripley more horrifying in his ability to take a character that had already been established as genuinely toughened and make her pause. By not seeing anything of Samus outside of a young and unweathered looking version, the Ripley encounter can be read by the viewer as confirming that she's weak and unprepared.

Of course we could consider that all this may be due to the very nature of what Other M is - nearly Nintendo's first foray into scripting a detailed cinematic experience, complete with the requirement (and restrictions) of writing the game for a full voice cast. Had Other M been presented with more traditional Nintendo cinema scenes, with pages of dialog to click through, or still pictures inserted in a montage at various points, I suspect more ideas and locals might have made it into the story on screen. (Don't forget - having scenes of Samus' time with the Chozo would have also meant designing, scripting, and paying for more alien CG worlds, aliens who were primary characters, and more sequences to render at the genuinely impressive quality Other M shoots for in its CG story sequences.)

In part, it's perhaps expected because of the polish and weight of the Metroid Prime series being fresh in everyone's minds, but so few people seemed willing to accept Other M as a pure experiment. Personally, I'm actually fine with the game as it is, shortcomings of the plot and all. I'm more intrigued by what it tries than horrified and slamming my hands on the table demanding Metroid Prime 4 as if that's a constitutional right.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The thing that was different with Other M was that it felt like a very 'Japanese' game in it's story presentation. The other Metroid games might have been Alien rip-offs but it lent them a very unique tone and atmosphere. In Other M there was just too much exposition and the 'show don't tell' rule was broken constantly, it lost that sense of filling in the gaps yourself that the previous games had.

As soon as people started talking in Other M, as soon as I saw Samus' beauty spot and her heels, the way she reacted to Ridley, it didn't feel like Metroid anymore. I enjoyed playing through it but there were so many times when I could feel Sakamoto's inner otaku looming out of the screen. The treatment Samus received was incredibly patronising and felt almost incestual on his part. I still think he knows how to make great Metroid games but he needs to remember that Samus is like Clint Eastwood in the Dollars trilogy. She doesn't say much, and she doesn't need to. She just gets shit done, she isn't there to be lusted over or to make the player want to protect her.

Other M's story does feel very much like a shonen anime (anime for boys). Concerning the exposition run amok, a friend told me this the other day: The reason everything that happens in anime is explained through dialog is a hold over from there being no narrative voice or thought bubbles in manga. I do not know if this is true and would like a confirmation or correction from any resident knowledgeable of manga/anime convention. But if true it makes sense of why a lot of anime, especially shonen, talks the audience to death.

disco

I'm disappointed this game didn't sell well. It was really good once you had 20 minutes with the controls. Shame it couldn't even push a million. Did Nintendo want to bury this once it had been released due to all of the sexism controversy?

Rafaelcsa

discocaine said:
I'm disappointed this game didn't sell well. It was really good once you had 20 minutes with the controls. Shame it couldn't even push a million. Did Nintendo want to bury this once it had been released due to all of the sexism controversy?

Well, the story not being well-received certainly didn't help, but I don't think that's the real reason why the game didn't break a million. I think that Metroid has just always been a limited series in popularity and this game being more experimental in nature sure didn't help. Also, the series wasn't exactly dormant prior to the game (which was the case with Prime 1), so the anticipation for it probably wasn't that big.

It's a shame because I think the gameplay is terrific. Everyone focuses on the (bad) story, but almost no one talks about the gameplay. The ones that do are usually vocal in disliking the controls. I think they're great. I love playing games with the Wii Remote NES style. I love simplicity in controls. And I love Metroid in "fast action mode". I think the first-person to third-person perspective switch was well implemented. The fact that you gotta make a choice to launch a missle: you'll have to stand still for a little while. The auto-aiming is perfect and so are Samus' movements and the implementations of the Screw Attack and the Speed Booster.

I just wish the game had better level design. The ship should be more interconnected and more ways should open up as you progress. And I wish there were more new items to get. All or almost all items you obtain are from an older game. AND I wish the music was better. I barely noticed it. These three things keep this game from being one of my favorites in the series.

Yeah, I was able to ignore the dumb story. Maybe because I'm not a native English speaker? I don't know. Not that I had any difficulty following the story. But things like Samus repeating "baby" all the time didn't actually bother me. Me not speaking the language natively perhaps helped with things like that.

DrMungo

I bought this game for $5 on Best Buy site yesterday. After reading comments, I'm curious as hell to experience such a polarizing game.

There should be absolutely no relationships presented in this game whatsoever. The problem with Metroid: Other M's story is that it has one.

A Metroid game can't be sold based-on personal relationships. the appeal of Metroid is that you are a bounty hunter that gets to storm alien worlds, hidden passages, and bases and rid the world of metroids while collecting power-ups.

t's you against the evil Mother Brain in the thrilling battle of Metroid! You're inside the fortress planet Zebes. The planet of endless secret passageways where the Metroid are multiplying. Left alone the Metroid are harmless. But in the wrong hands they could destroy the galaxy. It's up to you to prevent the Mother Brain that controls Zebes from using the Metroid for evil purposes. But that won't be easy. You'll have to use your spacesuit to absorb valuable energy for your search to gain the use of power items like the Ice Beam, Wave Beam, High Jump Boots and Varia. If you survive, it will be you and your acquired powers against the Mother Brain.

That is all the story a game like Metroid can have. If someone picks up Other M box and looks at the front and reads the back, why would they want to play that game? It is so lame... Compare it to the NES Metroid box.

Metroid has to be about the exciting stuff and great action/platformer gameplay. Remove any and all cutscenes. People play games because they want to play, not watch. Don't ever interrupt gameplay.

Scoops

Banned
I'm about halfway through and it's good not great. I feel like the Prime games are so exceptional this game never really had a chance to be great. Prime 1 and 3 are two of my top 10 games of all time.

Boney

Banned
There should be absolutely no relationships presented in this game whatsoever. The problem with Metroid: Other M's story is that it has one.

A Metroid game can't be sold based-on personal relationships. the appeal of Metroid is that you are a bounty hunter that gets to storm alien worlds, hidden passages, and bases and rid the world of metroids while collecting power-ups.

That is all the story a game like Metroid can have. If someone picks up Other M box and looks at the front and reads the back, why would they want to play that game? It is so lame... Compare it to the NES Metroid box.

Metroid has to be about the exciting stuff and great action/platformer gameplay. Remove any and all cutscenes. People play games because they want to play, not watch. Don't ever interrupt gameplay.
Do you have a term like PuzZelda for this?

Storytroid

Metroid was actually sold to Americans as:

- a male cyborg, "greatest of all the space hunters";
- "successfully completed numerous missions that everybody thought were absolutely impossible."
- "surgically strengthened with with robotics, giving him superpowers."
- "space suit...can absorb any enemy's power."
- "...his true form is shrouded in mystery."

Compare that to"

- whiny female that "has been known to cower and even freeze-up in fear."
- "Since their first mission, Samus and Adam have had some sort of bizarre (even awkward) love-hate relationship...especially for a video game"
- "when Adam isn't being an asshole he lets you use your powers."
- "she's a pouty brat."

metroid_other_m_boxart.jpg
metroid_nes_wii.jpg

Some woman and some man on the cover... "WTF is this piece of garbage game? Is this a game or one of those shite Japanese visual novels? No thanks."

vs.

Some crazy cyborg thing shooting at Aliens... "Fuck yeah, lets splatter aliens dude!"

Back of the box - next Metroid game (I going over-the-top):

You are Samus Aran, the most bad-ass, super sick bounty hunter in the universe, ever! You are a god among mere fecal matter. Your suit was designed by a divine race of beings from planet Zebes and is the ultimate technological achievement in existence. With this suit, your audacious ass-beating skills and lighting reflexes, there is nothing that you can't do (but if you lack skills you will get your balls stomped so hard you'll never be able to populate the galaxy with your impotent offspring - be warned!). As you progress through endless corridors, fend-off a constant barrage of killer insectoids and carnivores, platform across lava pits, and descend the cavernous depths in your mission of impossibility, you will find buried away in the most remote locations of this underground trip-inducing, and disorienting labyrinth, various augmentation technologies such as the quantum orb of transportation, the super-x light-speed boots of levitation, Hyper-Blaster 3000 death ray, ultra precision-nuke Destructor-Miissles, the Cyclone energy shield of splattered alien dismemberment, and many more... Everyone has heard your name but you are the universal mystery of the imagination. (TrUmPeTs!!!) Women want to have your children, their husbands wouldn't stand in your way, their kids call you their "real dad"! Go! and bring the mutha-firkin' ruckus on the space pirates and stop the spread of the vicious Metroids. This shit is maximum Danger!!! Do you have what it takes to be a Nintendo Metroid Black-belt Master? Now you're playing with Power! Real Power!! Yeah!!!

Dambrosi

Banned
Ridleyscott is right, though. Setting aside the perceived misogyny and execrable characterization of the story for a second, the story's main sin is that it's almost completely unnecessary. Frankly, why do Samus' past traumas or Adam's ulterior motivations matter to the act of jumping from platform to platform and blasting space pirates to cosmic ashes?

My guess is that Sakamoto had this whole lore and universe around the Metroid games that he had previously been unable to properly convey, and with Other M he finally had the chance to unleash his artistic vision. He finally had the chance to show his audience that Metroid was about more than just the aforementioned platforming and baddie-shooting, and, by Gahd, he was going to take it.

A crying shame, then, that he didn't have the artistic or literary chops to make it any good.

The moral of this story: if a game doesn't need a story, don't bother giving it one.

Ridleyscott is right, though. Setting aside the perceived misogyny and execrable characterization of the story for a second, the story's main sin is that it's almost completely unnecessary. Frankly, why do Samus' past traumas or Adam's ulterior motivations matter to the act of jumping from platform to platform and blasting space pirates to cosmic ashes?

My guess is that Sakamoto had this whole lore and universe around the Metroid games that he had previously been unable to properly convey, and with Other M he finally had the chance to unleash his artistic vision. He finally had the chance to show his audience that Metroid was about more than just the aforementioned platforming and baddie-shooting, and, by Gahd, he was going to take it.

A crying shame, then, that he didn't have the artistic or literary chops to make it any good.

The moral of this story: if a game doesn't need a story, don't bother giving it one.

Yeah. he is trying to be something he isn't (a good story-teller) while using the wrong platform to do it (an arcade action video game).

I saw some posts on here about "getting back to the basics", the basics involve straight video-gamey game-play, tactile controls, and a one-paragraph background blurb at the title screen. I can insert the Metroid game cartridge in my NES, turn it on, hit start and hear awesome intro music and be playing within 15 secs. That is why I like video games, that is why most people like video games. I don't know how all this other junk got into the mix, it is a plague.

I saw this game selling for $5.00. It had some great attempts at new mechanics that in general worked well and were fun, but... Total Bomb!

The only way to save Metroid at this point is a total series reboot, a flawless one. It is going to have to set bars, video game bars not cutscene/story bars. If the next Metroid was the most amazing sci-fi, pure-gaming experience, fluff (cutscene/story) would become irrelevant.

For that price I'd say it's worth it. The game itself isn't horrible, but it's "un-metroidy" and the presentation of the story isn't good at all.

giggas

Sorry for the bump but I noticed this game is $9.99 at gamestop, Never played it.. worth a ten spot?

Totally worth it at that price. You might not love the game, but you'll hopefully still get some enjoyment out of it.

I actually really like it, but it's an interesting experience to say the least. Such awful writing and characters yet the core game is actually really fun to play, even if it doesn't feel like as much of a Metroid game as it should. There is some secretly brilliant stuff at work there despite people bitching about the lack of analog control. The way they made DPad control and jumping around in a 3D space work well with this game is really smart. Switching to FP can get wonky though.

That said, I do think Metroid is in dire need of a full on reboot. It just has to get back to the basics now for a new generation. Make Samus storm Zebes again to fight Mother Brain, Riddly, Kraid and the Metroids in glorious HD. Give it to Retro or another Western dev that's up to the task. This now convoluted story line that spans 25 years simply needs to be reset. Especially now that the Prime games almost seem to exist in their own little alternate universe since Other M clearly didn't care for the idea of Aura Units and what not. It needs a fresh start.

I picked this up aaaages ago, never got around to playing it because of the bad impressions. I finally tried it a couple of days ago and apart from the terrible narrative and turning Samus into a wimp, it's not bad at all. The gameplay itself I really like, I think it captures the spirit of Metroid...I just try to ignore the whole 'Adam' thing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I thought Zebes was pronounced 'ZEEBS' not 'zeh bess' ???

mantidor

Thanks! I will give it a shot.

you know as much as I do hate this game, I don't think anyone could have convinced me to not give it a shot, even if I knew beforehand all of its terrible flaws. I'm too much of a Metroid fanboy, this trainwreck is something that you just have to see for yourself.

The damage is done though, for the next Metroid I'll wait a long time and read every review and forum post possible before picking it up.

I picked this up aaaages ago, never got around to playing it because of the bad impressions. I finally tried it a couple of days ago and apart from the terrible narrative and turning Samus into a wimp, it's not bad at all. The gameplay itself I really like, I think it captures the spirit of Metroid...I just try to ignore the whole 'Adam' thing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I thought Zebes was pronounced 'ZEEBS' not 'zeh bess' ???

yeah turn your brain off when the cinematics come on. or you can enjoy them in a campy shitty sci fi movie way. the gameplay itself is excellent

robor

This game makes me laff. You have small platforms that have directional pad-laden invisible walls. Small platforms......with invisible walls. Not even the PS1 had that archaic bullshit (it's fucking post-archaic).

It's a testament to how one man failed to discern between an established fanbase and an invisible fanbase that only cared about the gimmick's the Wii offered (none of which would ever care about the Metroid franchise even IF you gave them a fucking square block with one button to push).

To think what that very same man used to say when he was developing Super Metroid back in the day. It's good to see him abandon such values for some retarded market strategy that involves reducing accessibility in a 3D world.......for accessibility??? WUT?

Dear lord.

Boney

Banned
It's not like there's random invisible walls in the middle of the map. They're on the sides to map along the d-pad movement and to help focus on moving forward.

I'm not even sure what you mean on the second part but it gave me a laff

This game was a lot of fun. Story wasn't so hot, but the gameplay more than made up for it. Honestly I would love to see the engine used again. Make a 3DS metroid using this engine and just take out the FP parts, and make the missles a regular item (ie not FP use only) and I'd be damn happy.

Fuck the Haters.

I've been playing Metroid Fusion on the 3DS and I really would like to see a follow up to it with Other M's gameplay engine, preferably on the 3DS. I like just how fast and 2D-ish Other M's combat is. The FPS parts should be changed if on the 3DS though.

I love Super Metroid and Prime 1 and 2 (haven't played much Zero Mission), but I'm warming up to Fusion now after now playing for ages. I get this impression that post-Fusion Samus could be used as a great opportunity to do some really cool shit. Have some Space Pirates harness X parasites for nefarious purposes. Have Samus' suits form organically from her body, like Guyver or something.

Just bought this at Best Buy online for $4.99 (in store pick up only). I know it is a mixed bag but for that price I could probably trade it in for more money.

Davey Cakes

I'm tempted to pick this up for $5. I could see myself eventually playing it since I am a Metroid fan, regardless of the mixed (to bad) reception.

And just like with the Kirby deal for $8 from a few days ago, $5 for Metroid gets you 60 Club Nintendo coins, for members who are interested.

All of the Best Buy stores near me have the game for pick up. Such an inviting offer, but the game's non-compelling nature reminds me of how people also weren't really willing to buy Duke Nukem Forever for dirt cheap. Sometimes it's about the game, not the money.

the TMO

I'm tempted to pick this up for $5. I could see myself eventually playing it since I am a Metroid fan, regardless of the mixed (to bad) reception.

And just like with the Kirby deal for $8 from a few days ago, $5 for Metroid gets you 60 Club Nintendo coins, for members who are interested.

All of the Best Buy stores near me have the game for pick up. Such an inviting offer, but the game's non-compelling nature reminds me of how people also weren't really willing to buy Duke Nukem Forever for dirt cheap. Sometimes it's about the game, not the money.

Than buy it. Is a great game, imho.

What the hell kind of Metroid fan are you if you won't even play a solid entry in the series for $5? If you only ever play games that aren't irrationally hated by any single GAF poster, well, then you must not have very many games to play.

The game didn't get a generally poor reception. The story did. Despite a number of things that could be better, the game is quite good.

And it's worth at least $5, that's for sure.

FreeMufasa

What the hell kind of Metroid fan are you if you won't even play a solid entry in the series for $5? If you only ever play games that aren't irrationally hated by any single GAF poster, well, then you must not have very many games to play.

The hate/low worth this game recieves here amazes me. People actually believe this is a bad game.

Is there any place to see a history of Best Buy's daily deals? I'm curious as to what I've missed out on.

Solid entry? You mean a game with crap controls and a story that betrays everything people love about the series?

Edit: removed the quote :p

I care a lot about exploration and getting lost in an alien world, but I still enjoyed Other M so...

The hyperventilation over Nintendo first-party franchises never ceases to amaze. Something is always being completely and irrevocably destroyed and nothing is ever as good as it used to be.

It's $5! It's an unbelievable price for a good game.

Boney

Banned
I care a lot about those things, but I still enjoyed Other M so...

The hyperventilation over Nintendo first-party franchises never ceases to amaze. Something is always being completely and irrevocably destroyed and nothing is ever as good as it used to be.

It's $5! It's an unbelievable price for a good game.

What I meant is, different people value different things. But thought it could be taken as an offensive stance and took it out.

Davey Cakes

Ordered for $5.30 including tax. I realized it was dumb not to pick it up for that price, considering that it's apparently a solid game in a series I love.

Probably won't bother with it until I finish Skyward Sword, but it'll be nice to have for when I am in the Metroid mood.

The hate/low worth this game recieves here amazes me. People actually believe this is a bad game.

I really don't get it either. Only thing I can come up with is that people are fucking crazy. Yeah the story may not be what some wanted but the controls are fantastic, and the engine is pretty damn nice in some spots.

Game gets far too much hate, and because of the super super vocal minority they'll probably never use the engine again. Hell, we'll be damn lucky if we see a Metroid game on Wii-U.

darkpower

Banned
Got this and Skyward Sword for a gift to a cousin. Other M for $5 is a great deal, regardless of terrible story.

It's not even a terrible story, and I hope more Metroid games do go the route of telling a story and letting Samus be vocal instead of doing the silent thing that Nintendo always does.

The problem was about one particular scene (the Ridley scene) that made people whine and cry, and the Samus portrayal as a weaker character than what some had in their mind about her. Thing is, though, I didn't think the Ridley scene did enough to piss people off (I always tell people who bitched about that scene that I would've actually done MORE with it to really seal the deal). Samus had a lot to deal with there that would make any hardened person unnerved. So it made much sense to portray her as someone who didn't behave the way she normally did.

But I really enjoyed the story and the game. Made me hope for another game like that that would tie up loose ends.

Mzo

The story was pretty bad, yeah, especially that Deleter (and calling him/she/it that in the first place) crap, but I also disliked the control scheme, combat in general, level design, etc.

Almost everything felt bad and cheap to me, even little things like using all those identical computer consoles that looked like a Fisher-Price toys as switches throughout the game. Felt almost like a crappy little DLC game and I just didn't enjoy playing through it.

iirate

The story is atrocious (AKA about as bad as 95% of the stories in other games), the level design is lacking, and the combat system feels a little unfinished (I wish that dodge worked a little more like countering in Rocksteady's Batman games, so that you weren't encouraged to spam it quite so much). The pixel hunts are one of the worst additions to a major game release that I've ever seen.

That being said, I've played through the game three times, and have had fun each time. The game has its charms. I will say that on my first playthrough, I wasn't keen on the perspective switching mechanics, but once I was used to them, they became my favorite part of the game's combat.

EDIT:
It's not even a terrible story, and I hope more Metroid games do go the route of telling a story and letting Samus be vocal instead of doing the silent thing that Nintendo always does.

The problem was about one particular scene (the Ridley scene) that made people whine and cry, and the Samus portrayal as a weaker character than what some had in their mind about her. Thing is, though, I didn't think the Ridley scene did enough to piss people off (I always tell people who bitched about that scene that I would've actually done MORE with it to really seal the deal). Samus had a lot to deal with there that would make any hardened person unnerved. So it made much sense to portray her as someone who didn't behave the way she normally did.

But I really enjoyed the story and the game. Made me hope for another game like that that would tie up loose ends.

Man, I still have a bit of a problem with that scene, even though I'll say that it's far from the worst scene in the game (that award goes to the last Adam and Samus scene). It would have fit a lot better if this game was a Metroid prequel (in fact, I still think that this game being reworked as a Metroid prequel could only help it in several areas), but as one of the latest in the series? Pretty weak. It didn't help that the game felt like it was treading on Fusion so much.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
There's only a few problems I had with Other M and largely they weren't even related to Samus' character, the story or the voice acting.

I didn't like the handholding; Fusion did it best because it tells you where to go next, without telling you how to get there. Other M tries to be too linear and tells you where to go next and how to get their, locking doors you've already been to for no reason. Also, beating the game 100% is pretty easy but there really is no reward for 100% completion unlike the other games.

Chuckpebble

The only thing I didn't like about the gameplay was that I found myself tapping the d-pad, trying to perform cheap dodges instead of skillful timed ones, thus Samus would stutter step around awkwardly in the heat of battle. Other than that, I loved the way it played.

As for the pixel hunt thing, I had those spoiled by people bitching about them all over the internet. I really can't honestly say, "those were easy, whats the big deal?" when I had the solutions, but I really feel like those were one of many elements that were blown out of proportion.

Top Bottom