• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M (Wii, Team Ninja x Nintendo) Official Site Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

L00P

You guys think they will put sequence breaking right back in? I don't know much about it, but Zero Mission is practically built with that in mind. I believe it was intentional unlike the Prime games (as far as I know). It's pretty cool.

KeeSomething said:
What else would we judge it by? That's all we have.

"Wow, the dialogue is pretty bad. THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!"

Sorry, things don't work that way. We are the consumers after all.

The moral of this thread is not to jump to conclusions. Saying the story presentation "IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!" isn't a very well rounded conclusion if you dislike Samus's brief monologue in the trailers. On other side of the coin, saying the story presentation will fail because you think it may adopt an excessive melodramatic tone based solely on a few short trailers isn't a well rounded conclusion either.

KeeSomething said:
I'm not talking about the gameplay, though. I'm talking about the story.

What a double-standard you guys have. So, it would be perfectly OK if I praised this game's writing based on the trailer, but I'm not allowed to say anything negative about it if it is blatanly bad? Again, give me a break.

We haven't seen anything significant in terms of the story presentation outside of Samus's thoughts and recollections of her past. Any conclusions about how the story will be presented throughout the game based on this monologue alone will be seen as superficial. I would say people think you're blowing things out of proportion. I haven't participated in this thread because there just isn't much to talk about yet. It's been awhile since I've seen this forum scrape this much whining and arguing from something so unsubstantial.

I thought the new teaser was pretty good but I call it a teaser for good reason. It certainly puts the game on your mind but tells you nothing of significance.

Red Scarlet

L00P said:
You guys think they will put sequence breaking right back in? I don't know much about it, but Zero Mission is practically built with that in mind. I believe it was intentional unlike the Prime games (as far as I know). It's pretty cool.

Isn't the game like Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry? How would you SB those?

G-Fex

Jezan said:
This.
And then the next posts say something along the lines: "No, i never wanted that" "No I never said that"

Tell me another character that is not generic then.

2irntiv.jpg

Why is everyone judging the whole game with just 2 trailers?
and a leak

You know what, I liked it mostly in Super Metroid when it had a sci-fi story of epicness of "Ridley stole the last metroid? Return to Zebes?!?" I liked her narration at the beginning.

Then something like Fusion comes along, I liked the game but her constant yapping about her little relationship between her and adam was like, yeah I get it Samus, you liked/admired him.

Red Scarlet

Dr.Hadji said:
No.....? Its still got a Metroid structure. So says Sakamoto anyway.

Oh, I just saw those reveal vids/avatars long ago with her comboing badguys. There's a reason I haven't commented on the game itself in this thread.

mantidor

L00P said:

I doubt it will be as open as the first Metroid or Super Metroid, or the prime games, because all this cutscenes look a lot like the unskipabble points of Zero Mission/Fusion. But I think is safe to presume the game will be fully interconnected once you clear the last boss like any other metroid game.

pakkit

Banned
Behold the inner turmoils of the GAF machine!

Yeah, the "trailer" looked like shit. I'm still excited for the game because it has a unique gameplay system never before attempted and only possible on the Wii (not important, but a draw nevertheless). Also, this is Nintendo working on the Metroid franchise. Even if it's not amazing, it will still be pretty damn good. It's basic maths, people.

L00P

mantidor said:
I doubt it will be as open as the first Metroid or Super Metroid, or the prime games, because all this cutscenes look a lot like the unskipabble points of Zero Mission/Fusion. But I think is safe to presume the game will be fully interconnected once you clear the last boss like any other metroid game.

Yeah, and I guess it would be pretty hard to put SB in a 3D space. It is a pretty cool feature in Zero Mission though! So much "Holy shit you can do that???" moments.

Chopper Dave said:
The moral of this thread is not to jump to conclusions. Saying the story presentation "IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!" isn't a very well rounded conclusion if you dislike Samus's brief monologue in the trailers. On other side of the coin, saying the story presentation will fail because you think it may adopt an excessive melodramatic tone based solely on a few short trailers isn't a well rounded conclusion either.

We haven't seen anything significant in terms of the story presentation outside of Samus's thoughts and recollections of her past. Any conclusions about how the story will be presented throughout the game based on this monologue alone will be seen as superficial. I would say people think you're blowing things out of proportion. I haven't participated in this thread because there just isn't much to talk about yet. It's been awhile since I've seen this forum scrape this much whining and arguing from something so unsubstantial.

I thought the new teaser was pretty good but I call it a teaser for good reason. It certainly puts the game on your mind but tells you nothing of significance.
I admit that I blew this out of proportion. I tend to do that sometimes.

So, I will wait. And I'll do my best to stay open-minded.

Bizzyb

Banned
Dude, the game is OBVIOUSLY going to suck....I mean, did you not see that 1 minute Cutscene trailer with 4 lines of monologue???

I mean it's pretty much now guaranteed the game is going to be complete ass

Wow. Was that trailer really bad enough for
a reaction like this?

A part of me hopes that Sakamoto will fill this game
to the brim with anime melodrama and T&A just to
make some of you cry even harder.

Neon_Icarus said:
a reaction like this?

Be careful what you wish for.

Bizzyb said:
Dude, the game is OBVIOUSLY going to suck....I mean, did you not see that 1 minute Cutscene trailer with 4 lines of monologue???

I mean it's pretty much now guaranteed the game is going to be complete ass
A) This is overkill.
B) I never said Other M was going to be a bad game. No one did (as far as I know).

Neon_Icarus said:
a reaction like this?

Personally, I like it.
People always bitch that Nintendo doesn't flesh their characters out enough, and now they are.
I mean, it's a video game, when have they been known for Oscar Caliber writing? (I mean, besides GTA4).

Well, there is shit voice acting that's embarrassing and shit voice acting that's hilarious, this one better get much worse or it's going to be completely pointle...........oh wait, voice acting and cutscenes are just that in Metroid games, this game is right on schedule.

AceBandage said:
Personally, I like it.
People always bitch that Nintendo doesn't flesh their characters out enough, and now they are.
I mean, it's a video game, when have they been known for Oscar Caliber writing? (I mean, besides GTA4).
The writing in Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker is the best in the industry, and it easily can contend with most Oscar movies, in my opinion.

But, as far as my beliefs of game design go, the gameplay should dictate the story. Not the other way around.

Threi

notag
ant1532 said:
if you guys care about actual discussion of the game, Giantbomb talks about Other M in the bombcast at 1:04:00
Thanks but no thanks, this thread is going well enough without any discussion relevant to the actual game.

Thanks for the link though.

I think people have far to high of standards for VA.
This new trailer was pretty good.
The script wasn't all that great, but the reading was good.

MattKeil said:
Awful choice of voice actress. Just awful.
Actually, I do like Samus's voice in the trailer. I think it fits her. She is just given crummy dialog in the cutscenes*.

*Cutscenes that we've seen so far.

Cipherr

KeeSomething said:
The writing in Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker is the best in the industry, and it easily can contend with most Oscar movies, in my opinion.

Kick yourself out of the nearest window.

.......FIND A WAY!

Puncture said:

.......FIND A WAY!
Say what you want. The message in both those games are so powerful, and the use of metaphors are very well thought-out. The themes are also reflected through the gameplay--something movies can't do.

But this is getting way off topic.

mantidor

Puncture said:

.......FIND A WAY!

why? it's not like he's comparing it to an actually high standard. And the writing of MM is good if not excellent, minimalist, to the point and gameplay driven, but with enough depth to keep you thinking. The way all games should be, stop trying to be shakespeare you are never going to be.

I wouldn't agree about Wind Waker as a whole, but that little monologue of Ganondorf at the end and his dialogue with the king were great.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just saw the FMV trailer, and I only have two things to say:
1) The VA's just fine for Samus. Honestly, I don't get the complaints. (I also didn't watch the leaked vid.) From the 1 or so line Adam got, I wasn't too impressed, but it might work.

2) There's nothing even remotely Metroid about what I saw. She's not recognizingly Samus. I wouldn't have known Adam for Adam were it not for his line from Fusion. Etc.

*shrugs*

In Sakamoto we trust?

Mejilan said:
1) The VA's just fine for Samus. Honestly, I don't get the complaints. (I also didn't watch the leaked vid.) From the 1 or so line Adam got, I wasn't too impressed, but it might work.

2) There's nothing even remotely Metroid about what I saw. She's not recognizingly Samus. I wouldn't have known Adam for Adam were it not for his line from Fusion. Etc.

*shrugs*

In Sakamoto we trust?

For point 2, it is a flash back. She looks much more like Samus when she's older. Though, I prefer the short haired version.

Mejilan said:
In Sakamoto we trust?
In Sakamoto I trust, but it depresses me that he didn't have the confidence to just go ahead and do a traditional 2D game on the Wii with his core team, which is what they excel at. What I've seen of Other M looks makes it look like he's trying to prove he can be contemporary, at the expense of some of the qualities that made previous efforts of his timeless.

Mejilan said:

*shrugs*

In Sakamoto we trust?

Well, you know, thats normal when he doesn't appear in the games.
Although if you read the Zero Mission manga its exactly the same design.
Also thats Samus young design also in the manga.

Rebochan

GrotesqueBeauty said:
In Sakamoto I trust, but it depresses me that he didn't have the confidence to just go ahead and do a traditional 2D game on the Wii with his core team, which is what they excel at. What I've seen of Other M looks makes it look like he's trying to prove he can be contemporary, at the expense of some of the qualities that made previous efforts of his timeless.

Because it they DID do it in 2D, it would get the same backlash NSMBW got for being "derivative" and wouldn't really change the number of people who used to hate Retro from waxing nostalgic about how much they really loved Retro.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rebochan said:
Because it they DID do it in 2D, it would get the same backlash NSMBW got for being "derivative"

I really don't think Nintendo cares about any "backlash" NSMBW may have gotten from the enthusiast press.

Jezan

KeeSomething said:
OK. As much as I whined about this game's story, I am looking forward to it. Aside from Zelda Wii, Other M is the game I'm most interested in.

I guess there isn't much more to talk about. That trailer showed us nothing but cinematics, but GDC is only 6 or 7 days away. I hope that means we'll get a real trailer (with gameplay).
Sorry, I was not trying to sound like an angry whiner or anything.
But for now we can only wait for the next GDC and see (hopefully) the game in action, and more story parts.

Samus looks pretty in the part when she has long hair (before she transforms) in that certain trailer. And I love how she walks. And the little Metroid :(

Regulus Tera said:
I really don't think Nintendo cares about any "backlash" NSMBW may have gotten from the enthusiast press.

Not to mention, that this game was in production long before NSMBW was revealed...

Andrea

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
I think people have far to high of standards for VA.
This new trailer was pretty good.
The script wasn't all that great, but the reading was good.
It might not be high standards for some people, though, just different interpretations of what the VA might be. Take Isaac's VA as an Assist Trophy in Brawl, for example...You can't have high standards for an AT, but whoever decided to make Isaac sound like a little girl should be kicked in the face.

I do like the VA so far in M:OM. Samus' VA is actually pretty good, I don't know why anyone'd complain about it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Everyone sounds incredible in a language you don't understand.

Unless you are Japanese and then you're just biased!!!!!

If I were dubbed to Japanese I wish I were dubbed by Adam's voice!

Andrea said:
It might not be high standards for some people, though, just different interpretations of what the VA might be. Take Isaac's VA as an Assist Trophy in Brawl, for example...You can't have high standards for an AT, but whoever decided to make Isaac sound like a little girl should be kicked in the face.

I do like the VA so far in M:OM. Samus' VA is actually pretty good, I don't know why anyone'd complain about it.

It was probably to fit the Japanese stereotype of young men sounding like girls, even if they're badass.
/weeps at Kurama's Japanese VA in YYH.

Andrea

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
It was probably to fit the Japanese stereotype of young men sounding like girls, even if they're badass.
/weeps at Kurama's Japanese VA in YYH.
Hahaha, that's true. Still, even though I'm used to hearing girly-sounding men, Isaac's voice is just...unacceptable. D:

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Everyone sounds incredible in a language you don't understand.

Unless you are Japanese and then you're just biased!!!!!

You can also watch the english version on the site. Just skip the intro movie and click on the circular 'MOVIE' icon (bottom right) and select one of the resolution settings on the right side.

The voice-acting seemed fine to me. (however, english isn't my native language)

Regulus Tera said:
Adam sounds incredible in the Japanese dub: http://www.metroid.jp/

Oh shit, this is going the Fire Emblem wii route, with multiple languages dubbing!

We will probably have an spanish dub. And if Fire Emblem was any indication, we will have a better dub than the american.
Although, right no I dont mind the english voice actors, but would love to hear Samus' and Adam's voices in spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom