• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M (Wii, Team Ninja x Nintendo) Official Site Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gino

I've gotta say. The voice acting isn't bothering me in the english version. It's an anime script but shit I like anime.

I am officially excited for the story in this game. Fuck the haters.

. . . I liked that fucking trailer! :mad:
VA was on point (better then the leaked one) and it actually sets a nice lil tone for her story. (I do think they could have made the meaning behind the thumbs down clearer but I got it)

God, Nintendo fans (or just "Nintendo series fans" ) are proven to be whiny lil gun jumping bitches once again.

Gino

Black-Wind said:
. . . I liked that fucking trailer! :mad:
VA was on point (better then the leaked one) and it actually sets a nice lil tone for her story. (I do think they could have made the meaning behind the thumbs down clearer but I got it)

God, Nintendo fans (or just "Nintendo series fans" ) are proven to be whiny lil gun jumping bitches once again.
it's really just 4 guys who talk way more than anyone else bitching.

I agree completely with you on the trailer.

AniHawk

John Harker said:
The most annoying part is people always talking in terms of absolutes.

I enjoy Metroid for the lore. Mythology is told through story. This is cool to me. There's no definitive "Metroid fan." K thx.
True metroid fans know this.

While the English voice acting and writing is... questionable, let's say, I can sorta see where they're going with this. Samus is looking back harshly on her younger self for being such a dumb, "tough girl with something to prove, who's really soft on the inside."

And while some are saying that Samus having history as a soldier takes away from her, it honestly makes sense. Well, more sense than believing that this young orphaned girl raised by hundreds-of-years-old bird people on a strange planet would just start out on her own and overnight become this mysterious bounty hunter warrior known throughout the galaxy. While talking so much about a Nintendo game tie-in manga is embarrassing, it again points this out: Samus knows that she's expected to be a great warrior protecting the galaxy, but she's barely out of her teens when she leaves Zebes. Entering this strange advanced sci-fi society, she takes what seems like the only logical method to protect the galaxy: become a soldier.

So while they're showering us with Samus and the Baby Metroid and how she's probably going to have survivor's guilt over that and how the poor troopers and Adam are inevitably going to be slaughtered by the end of the game, I expect a large theme will be about Samus's decision to go her own path and become a bounty hunter.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i like every metroid except HUNTERS. there are so few adventure games released in this mold, and of those that are, 99% of them i find much less entertaining than any metroid. i may enjoy some more than others in varying degrees, but metroid is the adventure mailman as far as i'm concerned.

Rebochan said:
Because it they DID do it in 2D, it would get the same backlash NSMBW got for being "derivative" and wouldn't really change the number of people who used to hate Retro from waxing nostalgic about how much they really loved Retro.
Not really. NSMB and NSMB Wii get called out for being derivative because they're essentially a rearrangement of decades old elements, not because they're side scrollers. Even then, among the enthusiast crowd NSMB Wii is considered a winner on the basis of strong design. As far as the whole Retro thing, it's another one of those "cycle" fallacies. People who had issues with Retro's handling of franchise aren't all magically converting because of Other M, as romantic as the notion might strike you.

Gino

EmCeeGramr said:
While the English voice acting and writing is... questionable, let's say, I can sorta see where they're going with this. Samus is looking back harshly on her younger self for being such a dumb, "tough girl with something to prove, who's really soft on the inside."

And while some are saying that Samus having history as a soldier takes away from her, it honestly makes sense. Well, more sense than believing that this young orphaned girl raised by hundreds-of-years-old bird people on a strange planet would just start out on her own and overnight become this mysterious bounty hunter warrior known throughout the galaxy. While talking so much about a Nintendo game tie-in manga is embarrassing, it again points this out: Samus knows that she's expected to be a great warrior protecting the galaxy, but she's barely out of her teens when she leaves Zebes. Entering this strange advanced sci-fi society, she takes what seems like the only logical method to protect the galaxy: become a soldier.

So while they're showering us with Samus and the Baby Metroid and how she's probably going to have survivor's guilt over that and how the poor troopers and Adam are inevitably going to be slaughtered by the end of the game, I expect a large theme will be about Samus's decision to go her own path and become a bounty hunter.
I don't think this changes the fact that she was raised by the Chozo. All the soldier stuff happened after she left the chozo and before she became a freelance bounty hunter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Black-Wind said:

Or some of find boring, emotionless voice acting detracts from the quality of the story and prevents them from giving a shit in the first place.

etiolate

Banned
It's hard for me to see the soldier thing as anything but furthered marketing influence. Samus is FF/Anime'd up for Japan, melodrama vibe for Japan and making her a soldier for the U.S. audience, which has had increased interest in war themes in games ever since 9/11.

How does a soldier fit into Samus as the Isolationist Who Conquers All? All the World in One Girl?

When trying to rework or expand backstory of a videogame, you must be conscience of the story told by the game itself. There is no sense of soldier in Metroid, there is mercenary perhaps, a sense of individual at war, child alone in a strange environ, one versus many. There is no unit, no corps, no stratified authority higher once you step on Zebes. How does a soldier's story fit into that? I don't see it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
etiolate said:
It's hard for me to see the soldier thing as anything but furthered marketing influence. Samus is FF/Anime'd up for Japan, melodrama vibe for Japan and making her a soldier for the U.S. audience, which has had increased interest in war themes in games ever since 9/11.

How does a soldier fit into Samus as the Isolationist Who Conquers All? All the World in One Girl?

When trying to rework or expand backstory of a videogame, you must be conscience of the story told by the game itself. There is no sense of soldier in Metroid, there is mercenary perhaps, a sense of individual at war, child alone in a strange environ, one versus many. There is no unit, no corps, no stratified authority higher once you step on Zebes. How does a soldier's story fit into that? I don't see it.

it makes sense that she would have military and combat training. many mercenaries come from military backgrounds. it makes a ton of sense to me.

etiolate said:

That's why she quit, duh.

And IIRC, there was mention of her being a former soldier in various Nintendo media for years before 9/11.

KeeSomething said:
No, you just hate people who don't agree with you.
No, I don't have enuff nerd rage to actually hate web folk for their opinions.

People who jump the gun and bitch about stuff once they do so (glares at my fellow Nintendo fans) simply annoy me for a bit before I find another thread to read. :/

etiolate

Banned
beelzebozo said:
it makes sense that she would have military and combat training. many mercenaries come from military backgrounds. it makes a ton of sense to me.

I always saw her as being chozo trained. Some military training makes sense, but there are chozo fighters as well. I guess I could see her as chozo military?

Black-Wind said:
No, I don't have enuff nerd rage to actually hate web folk for their opinions.

People who jump the gun and bitch about stuff once they do so (glares at my fellow Nintendo fans) simply annoy me for a bit before I find another thread to read. :/
Fair enough. I'll admit, I was getting annoyed with the people who were complaining about how Samus had a mole in this game. I'll also admit that I jumped the gun after today's trailer.

Doo dee doo doo doo.

Yeah, I'm bored. GDC should answer some questions and give this thread something better to talk about.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
etiolate said:
I always saw her as being chozo trained. Some military training makes sense, but there are chozo fighters as well. I guess I could see her as chozo military?

it could really go either way and not matter much. i agree that it's not necessarily something that needed to be explored, but that's the way the game is going, so what can you do? it makes sense within the narrative and it seems fully congruous that she would have military training of some sort, so, go with it.

Dragona Akehi said:
man can you smell the crazy up in this thread? whoa nelly.
Hey, the crazy is what makes this place fun. And frickin' annoying. But since I'm on the "crazy" side this time, I'm going with fun.

robor

L00P said:
You guys think they will put sequence breaking right back in? I don't know much about it, but Zero Mission is practically built with that in mind. I believe it was intentional unlike the Prime games (as far as I know). It's pretty cool.

It most definitely was, which is why I consider it perfect in regards to metroid 1 game design tradition in 2D. What could they do to further extend Super Metroid's proven formula? The one thing the developers under looked; sequence breaking, and thus Zero Mission was born and the formula was perfected in 2D.

As for Other M and sequence breaking, it depends on how the in-game sequences are laid out. If there are pivotal in-game narrative segments through out the game's pacing then it would mean that sequence breaking is ruled out, if only because it would break the continuity of the story. This is why Fusion has little to no sequence breaking (involving those certain SA-X sequences) along with Metroid II; they're built on a different game design tradition (different from Metroid 1) first introduced in Metroid II.

If most of the narrative sequences are CGI, then it may have sequence breaking, depending on how and where they're laid out through out the story.

KeeSomething said:
Hey, the crazy is what makes this place fun. And frickin' annoying. But since I'm on the "crazy" side this time, I'm going with fun.

you ain't seen shit yet. you're in the little leagues, no offence mang.

etiolate

Banned
andymcc said:
:lol

you're really grasping at straws here.

I warn you, people have tried the mocking route with me before and it hasn't worked out well for them. Perhaps you can read my response to Instro and his subsequent bailing on the debate as further warning.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm open to a very different take on metroid, and while it could be construed as heretical, I'm looking forward to what they release.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thetrin said:
I'm open to a very different take on metroid, and while it could be construed as heretical, I'm looking forward to what they release.

i really don't see the problem. if it's awful, and people hate it, then we'll have a new coke situation in three or four years and we'll have the "metroid classic" relaunch. people get all up in arms about experimentation and creativity when they should just let things happen as they do and realize this kind of cycle is inevitable and present in all media.

the difference, of course, is that no one is stopping you from playing old metroid games in that style, whereas coca-cola classic was out of production and impossible to find, drink, and enjoy.

etiolate

Banned
beelzebozo said:
it could really go either way and not matter much. i agree that it's not necessarily something that needed to be explored, but that's the way the game is going, so what can you do? it makes [/b]sense within the narrative and it seems fully congruous that she would have military training of some sort, so, go with it.

Ah, but it doesn't! Only if you consider backstory and outside media as the only narrative to the game, but in videogames the experience is a large part of the narrative. Who plays Super Metroid and thinks of their actions as though you are a soldier in some stratified military? I never have and I've never really seen someone speak of it that way. The soldier's experience I argue is vastly different from Samus' experience. Even in Prime 3, where you move around accoding to what the Federation needs, it feels more like Superman bailing out the US Military against the viles of the Axis than a Lt. moving into position.

I can see military training, but being a rank in stratified military?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
was in military
now is not
affected by military experience
not currently defined by it
connected to the military
not beholden to them

this all seems fine to me

etiolate

Banned
There was more chozo juju in playing the games than there was military. That trailer featured military, short hair, a futuristic city scape and one lazy eye.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't disagree with you, really. i'm just not as offended or surprised at the idea that she was once in the military.

is there any indication of how long this was?

wRATH2x

Banned
I never had a problem with the military thing, it makes sense to me.

I'm just surprised this is a Nintendo game, they don't really rely on cut-scenes that much. Especially since its Metroid.

But I think its fine, I want Nintendo to have more of this collaborations with third parties. Would help in us getting more Nintendo games than usual.

XenoRaven

Holy shit guys Super Metroid is fucking awesome. Why didn't anyone tell me the game kicked this much ass?

Just kidding, everyone I know told me, several times. >_>

Anyway, I wish I wouldn't have seen the leaked Other M video. That bigass Metroid just popping in out of nowhere to eat Mother Brain would have been shocking had I not known in advance. Was still cool to see though. Also, best escape sequence in any Metroid game. Phew, now I can finally move on. Hope this game somehow becomes portable soon. I would probably never put it down.

etiolate said:
I warn you, people have tried the mocking route with me before and it hasn't worked out well for them. Perhaps you can read my response to Instro and his subsequent bailing on the debate as further warning.

Really? I remember when you literally told Drinky Crow on The Other Board™ in a Prop 8 thread that he was a hypocrite, because you claimed that trolling Nintendo fans on the internet is bigotry and intolerance in the same manner as violent homophobia. Also, you delightfully informed us that calling Wii Music a non-game and hurting GAF-feelings is the modern equivalent of murdering a homosexual 100 years ago. You literally said this.

If I recall, the mocking of you back then worked quite well!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
Really? I remember when you literally told Drinky Crow on The Other Board™ in a Prop 8 thread that he was a hypocrite, because you claimed that trolling Nintendo fans on the internet is bigotry and intolerance in the same manner as violent homophobia. Also, you delightfully informed us that calling Wii Music a non-game and hurting GAF-feelings is the modern equivalent of murdering a homosexual 100 years ago. You literally said this.

If I recall, the mocking of you back then worked quite well!
('0_o)

etiolate

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Most of what you listed was a discussion on dangerous thinking that people refused or were unable to grasp. That and the unified defense of the alpha male persona in Drinky.

But opening that up again is useless and doesn't belong here.

Tain

etiolate is probably modern society's greatest line of defense against the alpha male, really.

I'm glad he's here to keep sensitivity and the human condition alive.

etiolate said:
Most of what you listed was a discussion on dangerous thinking that people refused or were unable to grasp. That and the unified defense of the alpha male persona in Drinky.

But opening that up again is useless and doesn't belong here.

well really, neither does selectively deciding what is 'canon' in metroid.

robor

mugurumakensei said:
I'd like Metroid II to be remade. Metroid II: Zero + One Mission. It'd be awesome. That's what the next metroid game should be.

I think this should be the next handheld 2D Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom