• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M (Wii, Team Ninja x Nintendo) Official Site Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

WordAssassin said:
Just saw the FMV trailer.

Where's the mole? How does she go from a teen with nothing there, to an adult with that disgusting thing grappling onto her chin?

It's a metroid seedling.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I wonder if the whole thumbs down thing is purposely meant to play on this:

metroid_SAMUS_thumbsup.jpg
Doesn't she throw up a thumbs up at the end of Corruption too?

gogojira

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I wonder if the whole thumbs down thing is purposely meant to play on this:

metroid_SAMUS_thumbsup.jpg

No way. I thought it was clear that giving a thumbs down is the worst thing ever and of all the things we've seen of Other M, it's what needs to be nitpicked for pages and pages.

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with the thumbs down.

While I'm not going to bother commenting on story, one thing I have to say that bothers me is the horrible animation you see in much of that FMV. Such as the thumbs down, it looks so utterly fake.

3D animation really bothers me, when it isn't done right. :/

Dragona Akehi said:
While I'm not going to bother commenting on story, one thing I have to say that bothers me is the horrible animation you see in much of that FMV. Such as the thumbs down, it looks so utterly fake.

Tahts how peepole thumbs down in space. At leest Nintendo is doing sumthing new. If she did not thumbs down all in space like than peepole would be bitching taht the franchize don't not progress anyway. you just cannot win.

Somnid

Dragona Akehi said:

I wouldn't argue fakeness of something that is more than likely mo-capped.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Tahts how peepole thumbs down in space. At leest Nintendo is doing sumthing new. If she did not thumbs down all in space like than peepole would be bitching taht the franchize don't not progress anyway. you just cannot win.

Seriously though, this is the single most annoying and widespread problem in gaming today: western or eastern. I wish someone would pay more attention to animations. And if you think Samus' thumbs down was bad, you should see the average animal animation. Terrible. :/

Somnid said:
I wouldn't argue fakeness of something that is more than likely mo-capped.

Then it's mo-capped terribly. Real people do not move in that exaggerated fashion. It's exceedingly unnatural.

Dragona Akehi said:
Seriously though, this is the single most annoying and widespread problem in gaming today: western or eastern. I wish someone would pay more attention to animations. And if you think Samus' thumbs down was bad, you should see the average animal animation. Terrible. :/
It's true, it could be better. I don't find it offensively bad though, just a little "off". At least Mother Brain looked completely awesome and weird.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It's true, it could be better. I don't find it offensively bad though, just a little "off". At least Mother Brain looked completely awesome and weird.

Which is the really strange thing: for some things the animation is perfect, and then you get these scenes (or even just different characters within the same scene) who look like mannequins. Ughhhh.

The irony is that all of the game's animations I've seen are natural and fluid. It's the FMV, the "professional" stuff that looks so bad. :/

Somnid

Dragona Akehi said:
Then it's mo-capped terribly. Real people do not move in that exaggerated fashion.

Virually all acting is exaggerated a little because it comes off better. The last thing you want is to leave the audience in ambiguity as to what you are doing. Think of movies like Terminator 2 or Gladiator or any scene with a thumb gesture. You won't find subtle, sissy motions.

Somnid said:
Virually all acting is exaggerated a little because it comes off better. The last thing you want is to leave the audience in ambiguity as to what you are doing. Think of movies like Terminator 2 or Gladiator or any scene with a thumb gesture. You won't find subtle, sissy motions.

Please don't go into animation.

Diffense

I had to watch it again to even see this 'thumbs down' as I didn't even notice it the first time.
I think it's clear that it is deliberately exaggerated like every gesture used in a military setting.
Think of it as "Sir, no Sir!"

Dragona Akehi said:
Then it's mo-capped terribly. Real people do not move in that exaggerated fashion. It's exceedingly unnatural.

What I'm seeing here is a slight culture gap. Anytime I see japanese girls they're always striking random poses and crap like that.

Also, the shot is probably out of context so you can't really say it's exaggerated.

And exaggerated motion is nodding your head when you're talking unnecessarily. Not GIVING A THUMBS DOWN.

Seriously, what the hell? If she had done a more natural arcing-through-the-air thumbs down, you would all be complaining that she's being too dramatic!

Mgoblue201 said:
Both games are still built heavily around the quest structure, and devoid of gameplay the stories would collapse in on themselves. The end of Wind Waker does present something surprisingly insightful for a videogame, but that alone does not make a story, and it's more like a fleeting moment in a long narrative that is pretty mundane. Cinematography is an underrated element too, and neither game does much in that regard. No, they wouldn't even beat Crash for best picture Oscar.
The entire game of The Wind Waker is built around the theme of letting go of the past in order to walk a new path of hope. It's not just present in the final dialog of the game. This is actually a common theme that reoccurs througout the Zelda series.

And while Zelda may not win an Oscar, and people still look at the games as simple "save the princess" stories, that doesn't make the lessons any less meaningful. The writing is just as good as anything the movie industry has come up with.

mantidor

heringer said:
Is the Metroid manga canon?

what is canon in Metroid anyway? there are certain things that are somewhat consistent, but honestly the rest gets changed over and over. in the first game "his real identity was shrouded in mistery" now we get a Samus everyone knows. As I said, the physical appearance of Samus changes over and over, the varia suit is always different, even the ship itself is always different as well.

All we can be sure is that Other M will be canon... until the next metroid comes.

heringer said:
Is this complete? Because it's the same one I'm reading, except it's in black and white and much longer.

It's not complete. That one just has color. It's the first two chapters. There's a total of 16 chapters. Only two were done in color.

Somnid

Dragona Akehi said:
Please don't go into animation.

The whole point was that it's not limited to animation. However, animation certainly takes it a step farther. It's especially true in the case where you are probably going for more of over-the-top rather than hyper-realism. In a game about pile-driving aliens is it really so out of place?

mantidor said:
what is canon in Metroid anyway? there are certain things that are somewhat consistent, but honestly the rest gets changed over and over. in the first game "his real identity was shrouded in mistery" now we get a Samus everyone knows. As I said, the physical appearance of Samus changes over and over, the varia suit is always different, even the ship itself is always different as well.

All we can be sure is that Other M will be canon... until the next metroid comes.

Samus probably has 20 ships. They all keep blowing up. Aesthetic differences don't really matter much, suit wise. The varia suit is the varia suit. I think at this point tho, Samus' physical appearance is standardized. Notice all Samus's after Zero Mission have the same look. Not that it's super important tho.

The canon is what happens in the games + her general background.

gogojira

heringer said:
Is this complete? Because it's the same one I'm reading, except it's in black and white and much longer.

I read that again yesterday and thanks to my silly western ways, I read 75 percent of it from left right before remembering you're supposed to read it right to left. In the past, I've always read it backwards, too, not being a manga reader and all. I'm pretty awesome sometimes.

heringer

mugurumakensei said:
It's not complete. That one just has color. It's the first two chapters. There's a total of 16 chapters. Only two were done in color.
Oh, ok.

Yeah, I'm reading the complete one and Adam just showed up. Looks just like in the trailers, as the Federation headquarter. Cool. :D

Mael

mantidor said:

Heck looking at prime we have :
Metroid Prime : simily looking ship to Super Metroid only smaller
Metroid Prime : Hunter same as MP
Metroid Prime 2 : ooops it wasn't the SM ship before only a look alike we'll never see again, this IS Samus's ship from Metroid II & Super Metroid
Metroid Prime 3 : well it wasn't functionnal enough so she get another that look like it but is totally different!

Now mesh that with Metroid 2->4 where she seems to only have 1 ship : the one seen in Metroid Prime 2
o_O

heringer

gogojira said:
I read that again yesterday and thanks to my silly western ways, I read 75 percent of it from left right before remembering you're supposed to read it right to left. In the past, I've always read it backwards, too, not being a manga reader and all. I'm pretty awesome sometimes.
I actually read it this way the first two pages and thought "wtf, that makes no sense", until I remembered that you read manga from right to left. :lol

gogojira

heringer said:
Oh, ok.

Yeah, I'm reading the complete one and Adam just showed up. Looks just like in the trailers, as the Federation headquarter. Cool. :D

What site are you using for the rest of the chapters?

I think the voice acting for Samus is fine. She is supposed to sound emotionally withdrawn at this point. I can even hear it in her Japanese voice. I'm really looking forward to playing this game though!

dsister44

imagine if miyamoto made a game where mario (shock horror) was a plumber!

it would be terrble because game experience is part of a story and when your playing mario he doesnt feel like a plumber therefore he cannot be one despite what the people who create him say

Mael

dsister44 said:

it would be terrble because game experience is part of a story and when your playing mario he doesnt feel like a plumber therefore he cannot be one despite what the people who create him say

Good point.....not exactly well made but good point

dsister44 said:

wasn't mario bros. essentially about him being a plumber

Anyway, the key difference, I suppose, is that Miyamoto has never committed to Mario being a plumber while Sakamoto has insisted that this is part of Samus' life from the character's inception.

oracrest

Dragona Akehi said:

Part of me feels fanboy defensive about this, but, when I think of Samus doing spin flips, Super Dashes, and other moves like that, the animation doesn't seem that out of place, pretty consistent actually. As long as the whole game has that same feel of intensity to the movement, I hope it all ties in well. :/ It would feel pretty awkward for me to see her in a way that makes the in game character feel very over exaggerated compared to the cinematic one.

This trailer has actually got me quite excited! 4 months! :D

ShockingAlberto said:

He travels into pipes and removes all the badness. He's a plumber in the abstract.

dsister44 said:

I don't need to imagine. He's a mushroom kingdom plumber.

Mael

ShockingAlberto said:

Anyway, the key difference, I suppose, is that Miyamoto has never committed to Mario being a plumber while Sakamoto has insisted that this is part of Samus' life from the character's inception.

Yeah that or a plumber being a super hero in a mushroom kingdom doing plumbing is like ....weird
Unlike a bounty hunter having military training....just saying

Diffense

BTW, I'm intrigued by the game but not 100% sure what to think yet.
Sakamoto seems very open to including story elements in metroid and I expect other M will be a bit like metroid fusion.
However, by the very nature of her solitary adventure, Samus does not encounter many others who want to talk instead of eat her.
So, like fusion, I think most of the story will invole exposing Samus' own thoughts, motivations and recollections rather than open interpersonal conflict and intrigue.

I don't this tendency for Samus to narrate is recent.
The entire opening of Super Metroid was narrated by Samus as she recalled the events of the last game.
In fact, Super Metroid commenced with (apparently) Samus saying: "The last metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace".
Voice work was quite rare on the SNES so it might be relevant to the developer's view of the character that she had a (mangled) voice in that game's opening.

Gameplay-wise I expect it to unfold like metroid fusion.
You'll be under orders from Adam, disobey them at some point, have a falling out
during which you may even have to avoid the squad, but in the end it is Adam who helps you out alive.
The controls seem OK but I'm a bit concerned about not being able to move in first person given that the game seems pretty fast paced.
Apparently, you can *only* use missles in first person and you'll be a sitting duck while you do so.
I think they should at least allow you to acquire the missle target and then switch back to third person but we'll see how it plays out.

Mael

Diffense said:
Gameplay-wise I expect it to unfold like metroid fusion.
You'll be under orders from Adam, disobey them at some point, have a falling out
during which you may even have to avoid the squad, but in the end it is Adam who helps you out alive.
The controls seem OK but I'm a bit concerned about not being able to move in first person given that the game seems pretty fast paced.
Apparently, you can *only* use missles in first person and you'll be a sitting duck while you do so.
I think they should at least allow you to acquire the missle target and then switch back to third person but we'll see how it plays out.

It's not like the Wiimote has some kind of attachment that could provide targeting while moving and shit....oh wait

Mael

Diffense said:
Yeah...why no nonchuk is a question I won't even ask..lol

It's funny how EAD Tokyo could avoid such a blattant mistake in Galaxy 2 and Sakamoto x Team Ninja can't even take a look at that and actually provide something similar....
It shows that it's their first Wii game....

Mael said:
It's not like the Wiimote has some kind of attachment that could provide targeting while moving and shit....oh wait

It's clear they wanted to go back to a classic metroid control scheme while allowing players a better view of the world. The nunchuck would have broken away from that feel.

AntMurda

I hope Sakamoto does a Detective Club for the Wii. I think the audience and platform are perfect to resurrect this Nintendo IP.

XenoRaven

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I would suggest playing it another time or two at your leisure before watching anyone 100% the game. Once you've uncovered everything there is to find you can't go back and experience it again for the first time.
I don't think it will take away from my enjoyment of the game. To be quite honest I won't be playing the game enough times in the near future to be able to find that stuff anyway. Plus, I just got done with a playthrough where I scanned nearly every inch of the game world. I'm not really up for that again any time soon.

Besides, I found 94% of the items. I know where the two of the items I'm missing are, I just need the morph ball jump to get to them, unless I feel like doing a crazy angled double bomb jump which I didn't have the patience for. So really that's only 4% of the items that will be "spoiled" for me. Not too worried about it. The game is ridiculously good regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom