• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

jetjevons said:
There are two ways back to my ship. One platform that is marked on the map with a
skyline that it isn't there.
The other platform has a
locked skyline that requires all four locks to be shot at once to open up the skyline. I can't do this. The last powerup I got was the morphball dash
I'm not an idiot. I've never gotten stuck in a Metroid game before. I am seriously about to just stop playing the game.

If youre on skytown on the part where the AU tells you to get to the federation landing site, then you gotta go to another planet. I think its Bryoo, go there and theres a shitload of stuff to do there

Finished the game at 13 hours on my first run through. I only died once so I started a new game on Hyper, which will hopefully present a great challange. Amazing game, from start to finish. Whereas Echoes and Prime fell flat due to the horribly tacked on key collection, Prime 3 felt perfectly paced the entire time. In fact, it got even better halfway through. You didn't spend too much time in one area and news objectives seemed to grab my attention. This game truly is a masterpiece and easily deserving of all the praise. It'll be hard to play any Metroid game after this, including Super. They just polished the formula and added that thick layer of gloss.

Arde5643

Jonnyboy117 said:
Thanks for posting that, Mithos. Here's the link to the rest of the review (really, the scores aren't the important part!).

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/r...fm?artid=14332
Wow, that review is totally gushing on MP3 - which is pretty much how I feel about it. :D

I don't agree that it's better than KB+M though, although I like movement here better than KB+M.

evilromero said:
Finished the game at 13 hours on my first run through. I only died once so I started a new game on Hyper, which will hopefully present a great challange.
Did you start the game on veteran or normal? If you started on veteran, then you're really good. :)

Oh god I love this game so much, it took over my entire weekend :D

One quick question guys...

I just beat Helios and opened up the Pirate Homeworld. I decided to do some item collection before I head there and started on Norion where I ran smack dab into the Metroid Hatcher. I don't want to know how to beat it but I barely scrathed it my first go-round and I wanted to know if it's something I should be fighting yet or should I wait until I'm stronger? I'd hate to waste the whole night trying to kill it if there's something I'm supposed to get first before I fight it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Saint Gregory said:

I just beat Helios and opened up the Pirate Homeworld. I decided to do some item collection before I head there and started on Norion where I ran smack dab into the Metroid Hatcher. I don't want to know how to beat it but I barely scrathed it my first go-round and I wanted to know if it's something I should be fighting yet or should I wait until I'm stronger? I'd hate to waste the whole night trying to kill it if there's something I'm supposed to get first before I fight it.

he is doable, just shoot at the tentacles things. he will hide them after you keep shooting at them when hides all of them, shoot at his mouth that will make him dizzy then use the grapple lasso to jank the tentacles out of him.

atbigelow

Saint Gregory said:

Aim for its tentacles until he tucks all of them inside. Then he will spin/charge at you, so dodge that. After he is done, get up close to him and unleash a charged shot into his open mouth and spam the plasma beam until he flips out. Then you'll get a grapple point for the tentacles, so grapple and tug them off. Once you tear off each tentacle, he's dead. He's one of my favorite enemies in the game.

I need quick help. I'm on the very last planet. (
phaaze
)
How do I kill the parasite after ripping off the sides?

Edit: Oh, and to kill the
Metroid Hatchers
, it's extremely easy if you use the combination of
x-ray visor and nova beam. Boom, head-shot?

Error said:
he is doable, just shoot at the tentacles things. he will hide them after you keep shooting at them when hides all of them, shoot at his mouth that will make him dizzy then use the grapple lasso to jank the tentacles out of him.

Thanks Error, I couldn't figure out what stunned him the only time I got him there since the crosshair never seems to turn red on his head. I must have missed it.

Edit: And thanks to atbigelow too ;)

ratcliffja said:
phaaze
)

Metroid Hatchers
you'll see a little thing swimming around inside, keep shooting at it and it'll die

Anyone wanna trade friend vouchers?

Sharp

evilromero said:
Finished the game at 13 hours on my first run through. I only died once so I started a new game on Hyper, which will hopefully present a great challange. Amazing game, from start to finish. Whereas Echoes and Prime fell flat due to the horribly tacked on key collection, Prime 3 felt perfectly paced the entire time. In fact, it got even better halfway through. You didn't spend too much time in one area and news objectives seemed to grab my attention. This game truly is a masterpiece and easily deserving of all the praise. It'll be hard to play any Metroid game after this, including Super. They just polished the formula and added that thick layer of gloss.
I really don't understand comments like this. Super was already polished to perfection and has a totally different gameplay style. To me, it's like saying "after playing Bioshock it'll be hard to go back to Oblivion." Maybe I'm just weird though.

You will get an upgrade later in the game that allows you to kill it in one hit. Of course, this will take away all of the challenge, but imo, the hatcher battle wasn't much fun anyway. I thought it was frustrating. But if you do want to fight it without the future upgrade, you should lock on to its 5 tentacles using seeker missiles. Otherwise, I think it will be extremely difficult (atleast, I thought hitting its tentacles with the powerbeam was hard to do)

OliveJuice said:
you'll see a little thing swimming around inside, keep shooting at it and it'll die

Anyone wanna trade friend vouchers?
Oh ok. I've been shooting at it for a while. I figured I was doing something wrong.

beef3483

ratcliffja said:
phaaze
)

Metroid Hatchers

There should be a little parasite thing swimming inside, kill that.

Buggy Loop

Wait so i cant get yellow coins after a 2nd playthrough? Killed a few bosses in the beginning and got nada. How am i supposed to unlock fully the extras? :(

Actually, for some reason I can't kill that thing inside. It won't work at all. It doesn't seem to be taking any damage and I've been shooting it at it from half to full phazon.

Buggy Loop

ratcliffja said:
Actually, for some reason I can't kill that thing inside. It won't work at all. It doesn't seem to be taking any damage and I've been shooting it at it from half to full phazon.

You're using your visor? sometimes he's on the other side so you have to switch back and forth to dmg it, the visor wont show that its on the other side though. You'll damage it, it takes a while.

this is really annoying, i only have 97% and I'm before disabling the
pirate shield,
but i only have 13/14 energy tanks. I have absolutely no dots left on the map, and I also have the one from the
munitions storage room in the GFS Valhalla.
does this mean I missed one on the Olymus or something? and it is now impossible for me to get 100%?

Buggy Loop said:
Wait so i cant get yellow coins after a 2nd playthrough? Killed a few bosses in the beginning and got nada. How am i supposed to unlock fully the extras? :(
I believe you can get more yellow coins from
killing red phazon sphere things,the one you can only damage in hypermode, but only the red one not the blue one.

VultureDude said:
this is really annoying, i only have 97% and I'm before disabling the
pirate shield,
but i only have 13/14 energy tanks. I have absolutely no dots left on the map, and I also have the one from the
munitions storage room in the GFS Valhalla.
does this mean I missed one on the Olymus or something? and it is now impossible for me to get 100%?
Did you check
Bryyo Ice
?

Buggy Loop

OliveJuice said:
I believe you can get more yellow coins from
killing red phazon sphere things,the one you can only damage in hypermode, but only the red one not the blue one.

Do they respawn? Cause i think i kill a bunch of them.

Do you have rumble on?

Christine

jetjevons said:
There are two ways back to my ship. One platform that is marked on the map with a
skyline that it isn't there.
The other platform has a
locked skyline that requires all four locks to be shot at once to open up the skyline. I can't do this. The last powerup I got was the morphball dash
I'm not an idiot. I've never gotten stuck in a Metroid game before. I am seriously about to just stop playing the game.

That locked device is a cannon that goes somewhere else. You should be able to use
Zipline Station Bravo
which is right next to it. If not, then try going through
Spire Dock and Junction
to get back to the
Steambot barracks

Sharp said:
I really don't understand comments like this. Super was already polished to perfection and has a totally different gameplay style. To me, it's like saying "after playing Bioshock it'll be hard to go back to Oblivion." Maybe I'm just weird though.
Comments like this? I think I'm the first to specifically state this. Super is hailed as the best game ever made. It's probably the most polished 2D game out there. But why can't they add even more? I just don't understand comments like these.

Does anyone know of a good, free, file-hosting website? I found a ripped
Rundas battle theme
, but the bandwith limit would be met almost immediately if the link is put up here. I want to make one of those... what is it called? When there are alternatives to the main download source? >_>

bigmakstudios said:
You will get an upgrade later in the game that allows you to kill it in one hit. Of course, this will take away all of the challenge, but imo, the hatcher battle wasn't much fun anyway. I thought it was frustrating. But if you do want to fight it without the future upgrade, you should lock on to its 5 tentacles using seeker missiles. Otherwise, I think it will be extremely difficult (atleast, I thought hitting its tentacles with the powerbeam was hard to do)

I can't believe I didn't think of using the seeker missles too. Thanks for the tip :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Buggy Loop said:
Do they respawn? Cause i think i kill a bunch of them.
You don't get points for killing the same one over and over again.

If you want more yellow tokens, play on hyper mode, you don't get any in veteran.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
SixStringPsycho said:
If youre on skytown on the part where the AU tells you to get to the federation landing site, then you gotta go to another planet. I think its Bryoo, go there and theres a shitload of stuff to do there

I can't get to my ship! That's the problem!

Do I need to get the ship upgrade so it can blow up the roof of the place where Ghar's ship was? I'm getting tired of this. No guide mentions any kind of problem at this place.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Just
landed on the Pirate Homeworld for the first time and I thought I'd just put out some random observations and thoughts I had on the game.

When Ghor started attacking Samus' gunship on Elysia, I was sure that he was going to possess Samus' ship and use it against her. I thought that what was Ghor's ability to interface with mechanical devices was leading up to. As awesome as having to fight your own ship would have been, the Ghor fight was pretty good as it was, so I can't really complain.

I have to admit, I'm not too fond of Skytown. Okay, so the final part where you have to defend the Spire from a Space Pirate attack was cool, and Helios was incredible, but the area in general bored me. The layout was really repetitive and the enemies weren't too interesting. I have to give Retro credit, though; the Metroid breakout was really atmospheric, even if the actual Metroids were total pushovers.

Holy crap, the bosses are incredible. The Metroid Prime games have always had excellent bosses, but this game just pushes it to the next level. I thought that a few of the previous Prime games had bosses with too much health for their own good, but every fight so far has been memorable and none have gotten boring. I haven't had sweaty palms in a game for quite some time.

Berserker Lord was a pretty good introduction to using the aiming controls properly. While the rematch with him in the Chozo Observatory on Elysia was kind of random, it was fun to see how far I had come since my first fight with him. I would have rather seen a Torizo or something there, though.

Meta Ridley was incredible. So far, that's the defining moment of the game. I even liked how Samus defeats him; by jamming her arm cannon down his throat and opening fire. In-freaking-credible.

Mogenar was the only boss I really found annoying or unfun to fight. It was just tedious, since his weak points are only open sporadically, especially when you're trying to time a Hypermode activation. The appearance of the Leviathan Seed was amazing, though. It looked so organic and alive. Simply incredible.

The Metroid Hatcher was pretty disappointingly easy, though. Seriously, after the challenge that was Helios, the Hatcher was pretty pathetic. I don't think that thing touched me more than once in the entire fight; the only damage I sustained was when I stupidly threw myself off the platform. The one thing I can say in the Hatcher's favour is that the fight was a surprise. I was just going to Norion to pick up an Energy Cell... and holy crap, got ambushed by a boss.

Okay, I've run out of hyperbole. Simply put, this game is absolutely amazing, has completely outdone my expectations, and I can't wait to see the rest.

Sharp

evilromero said:
Comments like this? I think I'm the first to specifically state this. Super is hailed as the best game ever made. It's probably the most polished 2D game out there. But why can't they add even more? I just don't understand comments like these.
If it were a matter of adding more, okay, but saying "can't go back" implies that a game has been obsoleted. Airplanes haven't obsoleted cars, nor have cars obsoleted bicycles. I fully understand that for some people Prime 3 is a better game than Super Metroid, I'm just not sure how it makes it obsolete. It's easy to make that argument for Metroid -> Super Metroid, as SM did literally everything better, and then some. The only reason I can really think of at the moment to say the same about Super Metroid -> Prime 3 would be if you can't stand the backtracking in SM now, but it's so streamlined in that game that it's hard to imagine that as the reason.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I hope they have the decency to make a soundtrack, the music is too good to not make one.

edit: I just finished the game again 100% this is the best nintendo game in the past decade. if SMG is anything like MP3 in terms of awesomeness then I'll melt.

Zeed

Banned
Error said:
I hope they have the decency to make a soundtrack, the music is too good to not make one.
I intend to finish ripping the rest of the unlockable songs sometime this week. I think I already got the best ones though.

Does anyone know of a good, free, file-hosting website? I found a ripped
Rundas
battle theme, but the bandwith limit would be met almost immediately if the link is put up here. I want to make one of those... what is it called? When there are alternatives to the main download source? >_>

HALP

Iam Canadian said:
The Metroid Hatcher was pretty disappointingly easy, though. Seriously, after the challenge that was Helios, the Hatcher was pretty pathetic. I don't think that thing touched me more than once in the entire fight; the only damage I sustained was when I stupidly threw myself off the platform. The one thing I can say in the Hatcher's favour is that the fight was a surprise. I was just going to Norion to pick up an Energy Cell... and holy crap, got ambushed by a boss.

Okay, I've run out of hyperbole. Simply put, this game is absolutely amazing, has completely outdone my expectations, and I can't wait to see the rest.
Metroid Hatcher
is a mini boss, you'll see a lot of him.

Sharp said:
If it were a matter of adding more, okay, but saying "can't go back" implies that a game has been obsoleted. Airplanes haven't obsoleted cars, nor have cars obsoleted bicycles. I fully understand that for some people Prime 3 is a better game than Super Metroid, I'm just not sure how it makes it obsolete. It's easy to make that argument for Metroid -> Super Metroid, as SM did literally everything better, and then some. The only reason I can really think of at the moment to say the same about Super Metroid -> Prime 3 would be if you can't stand the backtracking in SM now, but it's so streamlined in that game that it's hard to imagine that as the reason.
For starters, Prime 3 is building upon the Metroid formula. It is appropriate to think that it will tighten aspects of previous games to suit more modern approches to gameplay design. It doesn't make Super any less important from a historical perspective. I just think Prime 3 took that template and fully enriched it.

Error said:

edit: I just finished the game again 100% this is the best nintendo game in the past decade. if SMG is anything like MP3 in terms of awesomeness then I'll melt.
After playing Prime 3 I honestly feel like SMG has some huge shoes to fill. Or maybe I should say, Prime 3 is a hard act to follow, even if you're Mario or Smash Bros. The game completely blew all my expectations out the window. I can hear the humming of hidden missles in my ear now.

Sharp

evilromero said:
For starters, Prime 3 is building upon the Metroid formula. It is appropriate to think that it will tighten aspects of previous games to suit more modern approches to gameplay design. It doesn't make Super any less important from a historical perspective. I just think Prime 3 took that template and fully enriched it.
Er, okay. I definitely disagree (what did it "tighten up" from Super Metroid, unless you hate backtracking?) but I suppose it's a valid opinion.

Arde5643

evilromero said:
After playing Prime 3 I honestly feel like SMG has some huge shoes to fill. Or maybe I should say, Prime 3 is a hard act to follow, even if you Mario or Smash Bros. The game completely blew all my expectations out the window.
At this point, only SMG has a chance to take on MP3 as the GOTY for any console games at this point.

I have no idea what the czars/dictators at Nintendo did to rebuild Retro studios into such a studio, but whatever it is, Retro studios is definitely one, if not the top five best in the industry.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Easter egg I found

If you shoot the doctor that revives you on the Olympus, the ship sends out a turret to shoot at you. You can blow it up but it sends a level 2 turrent. Keep at it and it sends a lvl 3 which emits a wave that just kills you.

Arde5643 said:
At this point, only SMG has a chance to take on MP3 as the GOTY for any console games at this point.

I have no idea what the czars/dictators at Nintendo did to rebuild Retro studios into such a studio, but whatever it is, Retro studios is definitely one, if not the top five best in the industry.
They upturned the tea table :lol

Amooox

at 4:40 22% veteran.
just finished the first planet, I don't think this game is easier than prime 1&2, the bosses are very challenging
wow at the boss inside the leviathan
and the regular enemies take a lot of damage.
this is my favorite Prime so far.

Top Bottom