• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Rolf NB

Wait, what, they are separate by region? I'm in Europe. I want some of 'em friend credits, too.

My Wii friends code is 4923 5564 7639 1377. I have 14 vouchers I can spread around.
I'm adding you skinnyrattler. If it doesn't work, I can still kick you back out.

CTLance

bcn-ron said:
Wait, what, they are separate by region?
Yes. Don't bother with sending vouchers to our NTSC brethren. They'll never receive them.
Edit: I'm a PAL gamer. I'll be adding you, but I'll only be able to trade vouchers come this weekend. Here's my Wii code: 0811 3512 7957 0688

Rolf NB

CTLance said:
Yes. Don't bother with sending vouchers to our NTSC brethren. They'll never receive them.
Aww man.

So can anyone hook me up with some Euro-vouchiness then? Give and you shall receive.
4923 5564 7639 1377 is my code. Add me, tell me you added me, so I can add you, and we'll go through this mess together.

yoopoo

Banned
Anyone one else get the MP3 satisfaction survey from Nintendo today? Wanted to know if I would purchase the sequel for a "reasonable price".

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
yoopoo said:
Anyone one else get the MP3 satisfaction survey from Nintendo today? Wanted to know if I would purchase the sequel for a "reasonable price".

NOA marketing 101 - are you satisfied with game 'x' - would you buy a sequel.

for the record, i'd buy wiimakes at an unreasonable price, but i doubt the actual powers in control of that give a shit about me or those like me.

oracrest

hopefully the statue comes out ever... looks like a new paint job than the ones I had seen before...

horizontal_02.jpg

blu

yeah, that's a classic statue and AFAIK it exists in a couple of suit colors too. btw, something more impressive can be seen here.

btw, after yet another pass through the game i still can believe retro made the ending animation sequence that crappy. people may be arguing about where corruption stands in the series re this or that aspect of the franchise, but when it comes to end sequences corruption holds the anti-climatic crown of the series hands down (not hard at all given none of the other episodes have anti-climactic endings).

I like the statue above better, but the linked one still looks really, really good, and the articulation is ace. It's the kind of toy I would have loved to have as a kid, and would still love to have.

I would buy a quality Samus Varia Suit figure in a heartbeat. But we all knew that right? And for anyone interested, my Metroid Prime Trilogy retro-analysis mega-post gets underway in December.

temjin

Banned
DragonGirl said:
I didn't care for Mogenar either but seriously, it's by far the most annoying boss in the game but he's only tough until you realize how to take him down easy. I had more trouble with him on my very first play through (on Veteran Difficulty) than I did on my Hypermode run because by then, I knew how to beat him.

Try this:
Blast his orbs, then when it comes time to finish an orb and you go into hypermode, make the corrupted hyper mode last as long as possible. You're only in trouble if you let the corruption bar max out. Shoot to drain it a little. Take a hit to fill it up more quickly. You are invincible while in hypermode. By keeping the hypermode going, it's much less frustrating to hit his orbs because if he closes the shielding, you can just wait for your next chance to shoot them rather than drop out of hypermode and waste another energy tank.

Need energy? You can get it by shooting the red orbs when grabs them to repair his damage. Shoot his green hand attack for energy too. Also, when you bomb his "phazon boots, those drop energy as well.

Also, when Mogenar opens his mouth, like when he laughs or shoots his laser, you can blast his head with an ice missile. Succeed and he'll be frozen for a few seconds and his orbs will all be exposed.
I actually enjoyed this boss the most so far. I guess I'm different.

blu

DragonGirl said:
I would buy a quality Samus Varia Suit figure in a heartbeat. But we all knew that right? And for anyone interested, my Metroid Prime Trilogy retro-analysis mega-post gets underway in December.

bring it on! ; )

Tristam

DragonGirl said:

Looking forward to it, especially since it appears your own tastes accord with mine when it comes to Metroid, specifically the Prime series.

Ledsen

DragonGirl said:

AWESOME, I will devour it, subscribe to it, bookmark it and take part in it.

temjin said:
I actually enjoyed this boss the most so far. I guess I'm different.

I enjoyed the frustration... I must have died 20 times trying to beat him. There's nothing like the satisfaction of actually killing him on the 21st try with your health alarm ringing.

I recall several times where my health was seriously low and it was a do-or-die situation.

It happened several times with the space pirates, too, surprisingly enough. I completely forgot about the bombing runs.

I tried to use the Hypermode as little as possible. Little personal gaming quirks, mind you. It was the kind of mentality that says "Samus will not indulge in her dark side!" Of course, when I felt I was about to die, I hit the panic button and waited for hyper mode. Only to see that the bar was in the red and the "focusing" effect wouldn't work.

Gorram, what an awesome game.

Although this and PoR did completely wreak 3 weeks of studying for me. : /

Very late to the party but I just arrived at the final boss and I must say that these were indeed very enjoyable 18 or so hours thus far. It's too easy on veteran but I hope hypermode fixes that.

blu

Phife Dawg said:
Very late to the party but I just arrived at the final boss and I must say that these were indeed very enjoyable 18 or so hours thus far. It's too easy on veteran but I hope hypermode fixes that.

hypermode is where the game stands at.

RJT

This is my first Metroid game (I didn't even play Super Metroid) and so far I'm loving it. The wiimote is perfect for FPS. It's not as accurate as the mouse, but the feeling is way better.

I started the game in normal mode. Do you think it's too easy even for a Metroid newbie? Can I change to Veteran in the middle of the game?

Code_Link

TwinIonEngines said:
This is not true. You may switch control sensitivity and settings at any time but each difficulty level is a separate 'campaign', as it were.

Oh, I thought he was talking about control sensitivity. My bad. :(

DEO3

Bluemercury said:
How's that works ? i've the game too but i didnt even try to use those....

You get awarded Friend Vouchers as you make your way through the game by doing various things. You can't use these yourselves, but if you send one to someone else (via Wii Connect 24) that person will receive a Green Credit. You use Credits to unlock things, from Concept Art Galleries, to Dashboard Bobble-Heads and Bumper Stickers for your ship. In addition to Green Credits, there are also Red, Blue, and Gold. You receive these three by scanning creatures, scanning lore, and killing bosses, but the only way to receive Green Credits, and therefore unlock things which require Green Credits, is by others sending you their Friend Vouchers.

Just a courtesy note on my promised metroid retrospective post (actually, it'll probably be a new thread), since people expressed interest in it: It's in the works. I had actually hoped to have it finished already but real life hit hard these past couple of months. I'm in the process of replaying all three games and taking notes. At this point I'm not sure I'll actually be able to make my December deadline. If not December, it'll definitely be done at some point in January.

DEO3

Do you get anything for getting every log? I've been making it a point to collect all the logs, but I just beat Mogenar on Hypermode and realized I forgot to scan him. Seeing as he's one of the toughest fights in the game on Hypermode, and takes like 20-30 minutes to kill, I'm not really looking forward to going back and trying to kill him again. But if it means I'm missing out on anything, I will.

Christine

DEO3 said:
Do you get anything for getting every log? I've been making it a point to collect all the logs, but I just beat Mogenar on Hypermode and realized I forgot to scan him. Seeing as he's one of the toughest fights in the game on Hypermode, and takes like 20-30 minutes to kill, I'm not really looking forward to going back and trying to kill him again. But if it means I'm missing out on anything, I will.

Did you scan him on Veteran? All scans and logs are permanently saved per file in MP3 (thank god) - If you didn't get his scan you could always run through Veteran again or even Normal. Check your scan logs.

MoxManiac said:
Mogenar is the probably the only reason I won't try hypermode. Worst boss fight ever.
It's not like the game had many decent bosses anyway. I'm at meta Ridley and there's just no desire to finish the game left in me. Second worst game I played this year after Elebits.

DEO3

mode, abnd
TwinIonEngines said:
Did you scan him on Veteran? All scans and logs are permanently saved per file in MP3 (thank god) - If you didn't get his scan you could always run through Veteran again or even Normal. Check your scan logs.

Veteran difficulty will still be left for me after I'm done with Hypermode. I guess I could scan him then, but I was meaning for this to be my 100% completion game - as after beating Hypermode I wouldn't really see the point to going back and playing through the game all over again on a lesser difficulty. I guess all I need to know is, do scans affect the completion percentage?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pretty sure that you don't get anything for a 100% completed log. Maybe a token, at most, but scans do not contribute to overall percentage. Like all Metroid games, only item pickups are accounted for in that.

Did anyone ever translate the secret Japanese messages?

There's a translation of Miyamoto and Iwata's ones on GFAQs but not for any of the other messages!

.dmc

Banned
To be honest, even though the controls are fucking incredible + like nothing out on the market, and even though Skytown was my favourite area in any Metroid Prime game.. I have to rank them MP1>MP2>MP3. First a confession, this may be because I played it through on easy, which is my own mistake. But secondly, the mainstream blockbuster-ing of the story was completely fucking embarrassing, there was no reason for the 'fleet' to follow Samus through to Phaaze, the 'interstellar battle' was a joke that had no bearing on the outcome of the story or game, the 'we don't think Samus made it.. oh wait, there she is!' was completely tired.. it just.. ruined the end game for me. It should have been about Samus going to Phaaze, completely corrupted and doing it because even though she knows it will be the end of her, she has to do it for the sake of the galaxy. That is what Metroid is about. Also - needed a timed escape from Phaaze after the defeat of the boss and HOW FUCKING TIRED IS THE 'OH I DEFEATED THE BAD GUY.. NOW THE ENTIRE PLANET WILL EXPLODE! thing? Fuck.

This game is still a 8.9/10 for me and I can't wait to see what Retro do next, but the last part of that game left me so cold. :(

EDIT: lol, Monday morning rant.

Christine

Mejilan said:
Pretty sure that you don't get anything for a 100% completed log. Maybe a token, at most, but scans do not contribute to overall percentage. Like all Metroid games, only item pickups are accounted for in that.

Scans don't contribute to the percentage at the end. You are required to scan every entity that provides a log entry to earn the available number of scan log credits required to open all unlockable bonuses. All scans, no matter how incidental, are permanently saved to your game file as scanned - this information is shared across all difficulties. Any scan log entry may be obtained on any difficulty.

In short, you never have to scan everything on a single run like in the first two games.

DEO3 said:
mode, abnd

Veteran difficulty will still be left for me after I'm done with Hypermode. I guess I could scan him then, but I was meaning for this to be my 100% completion game - as after beating Hypermode I wouldn't really see the point to going back and playing through the game all over again on a lesser difficulty. I guess all I need to know is, do scans affect the completion percentage?

No, that's unrelated to scans. If you didn't scan him on Normal or Hyper, you'll have to play this game file again on any difficulty level in order to get his scan log and credit.

Remember, if you don't beat Veteran you don't get the 2nd dot filled in. :p

maxmars

Has anybody else tried playing this with the zapper?

I'm very slow with my games, as I don't have much time to play, so I got the zapper right before the Gandrayda fight.. And since then I've only played MP3 with it, it freaking rules. :D

DEO3 said:
Are people still trading friend vouchers? I've got 17 to give away, and need quite a bit myself.

Do you still have friend vouchers you'd like to trade? I have 17 as well.

EDIT: My Wii code is 6013 8224 8250 1139.

DEO3

Lloyd Dobler said:
Do you still have friend vouchers you'd like to trade? I have 17 as well.

EDIT: My Wii code is 6013 8224 8250 1139.

YES!

I'm 4450-6750-4067-3791, I'll add you when I get home from work. And if you've added me, I'll send you the 18 I have.

Johnas

.dmc said:
To be honest, even though the controls are fucking incredible + like nothing out on the market, and even though Skytown was my favourite area in any Metroid Prime game.. I have to rank them MP1>MP2>MP3. First a confession, this may be because I played it through on easy, which is my own mistake. But secondly, the mainstream blockbuster-ing of the story was completely fucking embarrassing, there was no reason for the 'fleet' to follow Samus through to Phaaze, the 'interstellar battle' was a joke that had no bearing on the outcome of the story or game, the 'we don't think Samus made it.. oh wait, there she is!' was completely tired.. it just.. ruined the end game for me. It should have been about Samus going to Phaaze, completely corrupted and doing it because even though she knows it will be the end of her, she has to do it for the sake of the galaxy. That is what Metroid is about. Also - needed a timed escape from Phaaze after the defeat of the boss and HOW FUCKING TIRED IS THE 'OH I DEFEATED THE BAD GUY.. NOW THE ENTIRE PLANET WILL EXPLODE! thing? Fuck.

This game is still a 8.9/10 for me and I can't wait to see what Retro do next, but the last part of that game left me so cold. :(

EDIT: lol, Monday morning rant.

Now this is a post I can get behind. 100% agreed, except I'd score it a little lower.

I just re-read the Skytown comment. Not my favorite area of the series, but everything else stands. :]

Surfheart

I finally sat down and put a decent chunk of time into the game last night and I have to say it's blown me away. The level design and art are amazing. Controls are flawless. Awesome game, I'm loving it.

The controls for this game are pretty amazing. It's just a shame that the gesture controls like the beam grapple thing where you take off shields can be activated by moving the nunchuch forward twice. It's a pity they can't force you to do the correct motion. Just a little thing. It's like in SMG where it tells you to shake the wiimote to spin when all you have to do is move it left or right to get the same result.

okno

I've been playing this game kind of off-and-on now since around Halloween, and I'm just now at the point
before you go to Phaaze.
I didn't think the game was anything special for about the first three hours of play, but then it kind of clicked during Bryyo. I still don't think the game is A+ (or even A) material, but it's a solid game. I've been playing through it on normal, but I guess Veteran is the way to go, huh; I'll start a Veteran game once I beat it.

My biggest gripe with the game has nothing to do with controls or graphics or whatever and has entirely to do with the puzzles. As much fun as SOME of the puzzles can be, I can't STAND the fact that it seems like the entire universe is made for Samus Aran to explore and ONLY her to explore (a common thought, I see). The world panders to her special abilities and it's condescending, honestly. Some parts of the game take some thinking to figure out, but the puzzles are just mind-numbingly straight forward and it seems like they took more time in making the boss battles play out like intricate puzzles than anything else. Also, after Bryyo (or even Norion), why wouldn't the Pirates do everything in their power to block any and all "Samus entrances" before she had a chance? It's just really silly and pulls me way out of the experience.

Top Bottom