• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

.dmc

Banned
okno said:
My biggest gripe with the game has nothing to do with controls or graphics or whatever and has entirely to do with the puzzles. As much fun as SOME of the puzzles can be, I can't STAND the fact that it seems like the entire universe is made for Samus Aran to explore and ONLY her to explore (a common thought, I see). The world panders to her special abilities and it's condescending, honestly.

They do kinda explain that by making a lot of the worlds based on civilisations who recieved their technology from the Chozo.. but then, they also have morphball locks in federation areas and even the Pirate homeworld.. so.. yeah.

johnsmith

remember me
So my game is glitched out. God damn it. There's no way I'll beat this game now. I don't have it in me to replay this damn game. I've had it since it came out and i'm still in the pirate homeworld.

So anyway, in the pirate homeworld, right before you get the nova beam, there's a room called "Mine Lift" with 2 spinners in it. You're supposed to spin them,and the floor drops and you can continue. Well in my game, the floor only drops a few feet, so i'm stuck. I literally can't finish the game now.

This seriously pisses me off. Metroid Prime games always have game ending glitches in them, and it's BS. It'll be fixed in later reprints, but people like me are screwed.

Is it possible to transfer game saves online?

johnsmith said:
So my game is glitched out. God damn it. There's no way I'll beat this game now. I don't have it in me to replay this damn game. I've had it since it came out and i'm still in the pirate homeworld.

So anyway, in the pirate homeworld, right before you get the nova beam, there's a room called "Mine Lift" with 2 spinners in it. You're supposed to spin them,and the floor drops and you can continue. Well in my game, the floor only drops a few feet, so i'm stuck. I literally can't finish the game now.

This seriously pisses me off. Metroid Prime games always have game ending glitches in them, and it's BS. It'll be fixed in later reprints, but people like me are screwed.

Huh? You're sure you're doing that the right way? I've never experienced anything even close to a glitch in a Prime game.

Johnas said:
Now this is a post I can get behind. 100% agreed, except I'd score it a little lower.

I just re-read the Skytown comment. Not my favorite area of the series, but everything else stands. :]
Yeah I didn't like Sky Town that much myself. I preferred Bryyo. But no environment here came close to the best in 1 and 2, imo.

But I also agree with everything else, but I'd score MP3 a bit higher. 9/10, I suppose. Playing it on hyper mode is a lot more fun for me, though, especially now that I can get the hang of the controls fully.

johnsmith

remember me
WastingPenguins said:
Huh? You're sure you're doing that the right way? I've never experienced anything even close to a glitch in a Prime game.

yes, i've searched online, and it's happened to other people in the exact same spot.

And the original Metroid Prime had a pretty common glitch where the game would freeze on elevators. Metroid Prime 2 had a bunch of them too.

johnsmith said:
yes, i've searched online, and it's happened to other people in the exact same spot.

And the original Metroid Prime had a pretty common glitch where the game would freeze on elevators. Metroid Prime 2 had a bunch of them too.

Hmmm, guess I got lucky.

datamage

I guess this would be a good place to ask this..

I really loved MP1, skipped 2, and was thinking of trying out 3.

For me, the first MP captured that Metroid feeling I had when playing Metroid on the NES/SNES. When MP2 came out, to me, it seemed like an expansion pack. Also, seeing how it was more focused on combat than exploration, it really didn't get my attention. I was checking out the GT review of MP3 and they also mention how it focuses more on combat than exploration. What gives? MP1 had awesome ambience, and the music that accompanied it was superb. The combat got more hectic towards the end, but I loved the mix of exploration and combat throughout the game.

So tell me, is MP3 worth it? Or are you battling space pirates from the get go without a chance to enjoy the scenery? Also, how is the music? Does it compare to MP1? (I didn't like what I heard of MP2.)

Christine

WastingPenguins said:
Hmmm, guess I got lucky.

IIRC, the freezing glitch in the original MP only affects the first US pressing. Also, it can't occur on all GameCubes and can't be reproduced on the Wii and doesn't happen that often in any event. So it's not too surprising that you've never seen it. I've had it happen twice - once in the tunnel between Energy Core and Furnace and once on one of the elevators that it affects.

I'm not familiar with glitches in MP2, nor have I had any occur. I've seen one fairly major glitch in MP3 - I think the room name is Arboreum, it's the "L" shaped room in the far side of skytown - I got caught on some of the foliage geometry during a screw attack and hung suspended in my somersault animation for about 30 seconds before I dropped to the ground.

Johnas

datamage said:

For me, the first MP captured that Metroid feeling I had when playing Metroid on the NES/SNES. When MP2 came out, to me, it seemed like an expansion pack. Also, seeing how it was more focused on combat than exploration, it really didn't get my attention. I was checking out the GT review of MP3 and they also mention how it focuses more on combat than exploration. What gives? MP1 had awesome ambience, and the music that accompanied it was superb. The combat got more hectic towards the end, but I loved the mix of exploration and combat throughout the game.

So tell me, is MP3 worth it? Or are you battling space pirates from the get go without a chance to enjoy the scenery? Also, how is the music? Does it compare to MP1? (I didn't like what I heard of MP2.)

MP3 is a weaker game than MP (and MP2) in every regard. I disagree with your comment about MP2 being focused mainly on combat though, in my opinion that title had slightly more difficult combat and slightly more difficult puzzles than the first title.

MP3 focuses way more on the combat simply due to the revised control scheme. They really took advantage of the free-aim offered by the remote to include some precision shooting, particularly in boss battles. Music is noticeably weaker than the other two games, although a handful of tracks stand out from the rest.

The game is too linear for its own good, and I guarantee you will not gain the satisfaction of progression that you did from the first title. They do throw a few cool new things at you, but overall the title lacks the ambiance and atmosphere of the first two games. Only occasionally will you feel the isolation you did in the other two. People will say these things are OK, that the series needed shaking up, but that is simply not true, they ended up detracting from the Metroid experience. For the record, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are two of my favorite games ever, and I've played the series ever since the first game hit back on the NES.

I do still think it's worth playing, and I've gone through it again, and will play it again in the future, but I feel like if Retro had spent more time on the game apart from the control tweaking, it could have been a better title overall. They did do an excellent job with the controls though, I just feel like the rest of the game suffered slightly as a result. I sort of wish it had maybe been delayed longer, but I don't know if that would have really helped given the design choices already in place.

datamage said:

I have to disagree with sentiments towards MP Echoes calling it more combat oriented. This simply isn't true. Enemy wise, the difference between Prime and Echoes is you run into more nontrivial enemies in Echoes. Enemies are typically more challenging though the absolute difficulty level is no different than it was in Prime. Echoes also bumped up the challenge of navigating the environments. If you want exploration, Echoes is like Prime, only more so. The environments have a much higher puzzle difficulty which is great for exploration..and a real pain if all you want is to expediently travel from one location to another. Really, Echoes is a more intense game in the formula set forth by Prime, that hits some of the highest points in the trilogy if you like puzzles, challenging bosses, puzzle bosses, and anything to do with the morph ball. Unfortunately, it loses the balance between exploration and momentum that Prime had. Echoes moves much more slowly and takes a more methodical approach to adventuring. This leads to frustration if you just want to advance quickly. Echoes demands you spend time thinking at it.

Corruption is pretty much the direct opposite of Echoes. It's quick, streamlined, action focused, and simplified. I liked it. I liked it as a change of pace that makes the Prime Trilogy a very diverse and enjoyable experience. I also hope that future Metroid games use Prime as a design foundation and not Corruption. Corruption is visceral fun, but lacks a lot of the cerebral satisfaction derived from Prime and especially Echoes. I like Corruption as a change of pace, not as a new standard.

Judging by what little I can glean of your tastes, you might want to rent Corruption and sit with it for a few hours (don't judge it too quickly, get deep into the planet Bryyo first at the very least). Also, you really should take a closer look at Echoes. I think you've picked up a very false impression of it and it may in fact be the type of game you're looking for.

datamage

Thanks for the feedback.

I do think I was misled on Echoes.

Though this;
Enemy wise, the difference between Prime and Echoes is you run into more nontrivial enemies in Echoes.

Maybe that's where my misinterpretation came from. I enjoyed exploring and dealing with some minor enemies here and there without having to think about them. Perhaps knowing the above is what turned me off from Echoes.

Ultimately, I think the fact that it took 8 years to wait for a Metroid game after Super Metroid, made Prime that much sweeter. Maybe I should just get Echoes and Corruption and have a Metroid marathon. :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DragonGirl said:
<quick glossing over the nature of the individual installments from the prime trilogy>

so is that all?
:p

rblaa

DragonGirl said:
Probably the second best face model I've seen of Samus is her look in Smash Bros Brawl. The hair is still awful but at least the facial proportions are nice.

MP1's Samus is great, she looks properly competent and tough. If you have to stick with the blond look, then the best version I have seen is in the cut scenes from Hunters. She's truly a blond, but not cartoonly at all. I so wish they had used that model in MP3 instead of the silly cartoon ones that MP2 and MP3 used.

KevinCow

Banned
johnsmith said:

I believe you're supposed to spider ball up twice and bomb two slots, one on each side. The first time it drops down just a bit, and the second time it drops down all the way.

later

I'm at bryyo trying to do a missile strike but get a "gunship requires extra firepower" message. Any ideas where I get that upgrade?

So I finally got to finish the game on Hypermode difficulty after a bit of a "SMG break". Damn, the final bosses were hard. It's not really because each of them was that difficult, but rather because you get to fight them in a row, with the same life bar through the three battles... Anyway, even though finishing this difficulty level was extremely satisfying, I think I'm going to start my next game on Normal difficulty, just so I can chill out while I try to finally complete my logbook :lol .

Oh, is there a PAL owner that wants to trade vouchers ? The fact is, I just need one more credit to be able unlock one more bonus, and I'm not getting any life signs from my current contacts...
My FC is 1011-4431-0211-7646 .

later said:
I'm at bryyo trying to do a missile strike but get a "gunship requires extra firepower" message. Any ideas where I get that upgrade?

You must go to the GF Hangar Bay somewhere on Cliff Bryyo. If needed, check out a FAQ or a map for more precise indications.

DEO3

Stormbringer said:
So I finally got to finish the game on Hypermode difficulty after a bit of a "SMG break". Damn, the final bosses were hard. It's not really because each of them was that difficult, but rather because you get to fight them in a row, with the same life bar through the three battles... Anyway, even though finishing this difficulty level was extremely satisfying, I think I'm going to start my next game on Normal difficulty, just so I can chill out while I try to finally complete my logbook :lol .

Yeah, I'm working on this as we speak. I've got the game paused because holy shit my hands hurt. I can blow through phase 1 now, phase 2 isn't much of a problem, but I'm just unable to avoid the attacks in phase 3, and since there's no way to regain life like there is during the first two phases I'm just getting slowly get worn down. Can't seal the deal.

EDIT: It's dead. 5th time's a charm.

woxel1

DEO3 said:
Yeah, I'm working on this as we speak. I've got the game paused because holy shit my hands hurt. I can blow through phase 1 now, phase 2 isn't much of a problem, but I'm just unable to avoid the attacks in phase 3, and since there's no way to regain life like there is during the first two phases I'm just getting slowly get worn down. Can't seal the deal.
I haven't completed the final battle – though I've been close – but it's important to know that when the unit is sliding around the arena like a hockey puck -- if you screw attack into it it'll cause a stunning effect. Then you can get a few precious hits in. Also, it's good to keep a charged blast at the ready, and when that's depleted switch to a missile barrage. But if anyone has advice regarding "how not to get hit by laser beams," that would be excellent.

blu

DEO3 said:
1. stay out of his way when he's in 'beam hovering' mode - hide somewhere far and shoot from there.
2. make sure you scew-attack him at least once or twice when in pinball 'bouncing' mode.

also, make sure you pass dark samus with little-to-no damage accumulated - i think you've already mastered that ; )

To add to what blu said,
it's actually not necessary to pass Dark Samus with high health. I was nearly maxed out on the corruption bar when I hit the final boss, but the first stage gives you lots of opportunities to pick up anti-phazon and it's not too hard to avoid taking hits. I let the first phase of the boss battle run on until I'd lowered my corruption bar to a little less than half full before moving on to the final phase. Even so, I didn't discover the screw attack stun technique until late in the fight and nearly went fully corrupt before finishing the bugger off.

DragonGirl said:
I have to disagree with sentiments towards MP Echoes calling it more combat oriented. This simply isn't true. Enemy wise, the difference between Prime and Echoes is you run into more nontrivial enemies in Echoes. Enemies are typically more challenging though the absolute difficulty level is no different than it was in Prime. Echoes also bumped up the challenge of navigating the environments. If you want exploration, Echoes is like Prime, only more so. The environments have a much higher puzzle difficulty which is great for exploration..and a real pain if all you want is to expediently travel from one location to another. Really, Echoes is a more intense game in the formula set forth by Prime, that hits some of the highest points in the trilogy if you like puzzles, challenging bosses, puzzle bosses, and anything to do with the morph ball. Unfortunately, it loses the balance between exploration and momentum that Prime had. Echoes moves much more slowly and takes a more methodical approach to adventuring. This leads to frustration if you just want to advance quickly. Echoes demands you spend time thinking at it.

Corruption is pretty much the direct opposite of Echoes. It's quick, streamlined, action focused, and simplified. I liked it. I liked it as a change of pace that makes the Prime Trilogy a very diverse and enjoyable experience. I also hope that future Metroid games use Prime as a design foundation and not Corruption. Corruption is visceral fun, but lacks a lot of the cerebral satisfaction derived from Prime and especially Echoes. I like Corruption as a change of pace, not as a new standard.

Judging by what little I can glean of your tastes, you might want to rent Corruption and sit with it for a few hours (don't judge it too quickly, get deep into the planet Bryyo first at the very least). Also, you really should take a closer look at Echoes. I think you've picked up a very false impression of it and it may in fact be the type of game you're looking for.

There's no way prime 2 is better than 3.......the dark world thing nearly broke the game.....

blu

Bluemercury said:
There's no way prime 2 is better than 3.......the dark world thing nearly broke the game.....

echoes is clearly the better adventure game; if you're in for an argument, just nod ; )

Bluemercury said:

And you are entitled to your opinion. I very strongly and emphatically disagree. I think Dark Aether was a bit much, yes. I think it could have been implemented better. But I enjoyed it for itself a great deal. I absolutely dreaded going into it. It was the dark tunnel with the dragon at the end, the classic journey of the hero. That was the point and it succeeded beautifully. Saying it broke the game is a false statement though. What you really mean is it seriously wasn't your cup of tea. But please, don't make absolute statements of opinion as fact as you could turn away people who would enjoy, or simply not mind the element you didn't like.

later

I'm playing on veteran and this game still feels too easy. Only the boss battles provide some challenge. I wish the normal enemies you meet during the game wouldn't be so easy to beat (most of them anyway)

later said:
I'm playing on veteran and this game still feels too easy. Only the boss battles provide some challenge. I wish the normal enemies you meet during the game wouldn't be so easy to beat (most of them anyway)

It definitely ramps up. If you beat the entire game without dying once, I'll be impressed (some of the later bosses can be challenging).

Don't worry, the third difficulty IS hard, and very satisfying.

Hey there Aussie gamers. I finally got this game yesterday as a christmas present. Played for only fifteen minute, up to the first save point. Pretty cool so far and I've seen no enemies.

This is my friend code
4227 1114 2322 9561 , please add me if you have a PAL system so we can trade tokens.

beef3483

In my opinion, MP1=MP2=MP3. I enjoyed them all equally and for different reasons.

Anyways, I'm glad this thread still pops up every now and then. It's nice to know the game has a following.

highspeeddub said:
Hey there Aussie gamers. I finally got this game yesterday as a christmas present. Played for only fifteen minute, up to the first save point. Pretty cool so far and I've seen no enemies.

This is my friend code
4227 1114 2322 9561 , please add me if you have a PAL system so we can trade tokens.

Added you.
The fact is , I just need one last green token, so you can pretty much send me just 1 token, and in return I will send you everything I can. OK ?
Oh, and my FC :
1011-4431-0211-7646

sphinx

the piano man
DragonGirl said:
And you are entitled to your opinion. I very strongly and emphatically disagree. I think Dark Aether was a bit much, yes. I think it could have been implemented better. But I enjoyed it for itself a great deal. I absolutely dreaded going into it. It was the dark tunnel with the dragon at the end, the classic journey of the hero. That was the point and it succeeded beautifully. Saying it broke the game is a false statement though. What you really mean is it seriously wasn't your cup of tea. But please, don't make absolute statements of opinion as fact as you could turn away people who would enjoy, or simply not mind the element you didn't like.

very well said. I support this post.

MP2 is as grand and epic as Prime 1 was, just with different elements and without the "wow" factor of being the 1st in the series.

there is absolutely nothing broken in MP2 and I wish people would stop equating " I didn't like it " to " It's broken, flawed ". That is complete bullshit.

Formless

datamage said:

I prefer it over MP and MP2. Yes it's because of the action, but at the same time I just feel that it has plenty of exploration to keep me happy. A lot of the little actions you can do with the Wiimote really help the immersion factor. BTW I thought MP was a great game, but I abhorred MP2 (Dark World was meh).

After playing through this several times, I´ve finally come to the conclusion that MP3 is the worst Prime of the bunch. Still love it, but there are many things I dislike about it. The enviroment design is pretty dull and lifeless compared to the artistic masterpiece that is the original. (SkyCity, parts of Bryyo and Pirate Homeworld not withstanding) Echoes suffered from this also, so it feels like Retro's artists have lost some of that magic touch, sadly.

The mechanic of traveling between planets makes the game feel more like an ordinary shooter, with levels and missions to accomplish, so the sense of exploration and solitude just isn´t there in the same way.
Another thing that contributes is that the puzzles in Corruption are pretty lame and uninspired compared to the awesome shit Echoes did. Same deal with bosses, where MP2 wins in both the variation and "funny"-ness category. And more importantly - NO MOGENAR, YAY!

Oh yeah, and the beginning sucks balls.

lol, I sound like such a hater... I'm really not :p

oracrest said:
which parts?
The first landing-site is really cool for instance. With the chained moons, big statue and whatnot. Bryyo Fire has some fine looking areas too. I like how they took the lava-theme and changed it up a bit instead of just making a Magmoor 2. My favourite area though(maybe in the whole game) is the
"Phendrana-dimension". The contrast of surroundings(moody, firey cavern to beautiful, snowy landscape) came so sudden and totally took me back to the first time entering Phendrana Drifts in MP.
... and I actually got a tear in my eye lol. How pathetic is that? :p

[Nintex]

sphinx said:
very well said. I support this post.

MP2 is as grand and epic as Prime 1 was, just with different elements and without the "wow" factor of being the 1st in the series.

there is absolutely nothing broken in MP2 and I wish people would stop equating " I didn't like it " to " It's broken, flawed ". That is complete bullshit.
MP2 is broken compared to MP1/MP3. For instance the pacing is horrible, even the weakest enemies are annoying and take minutes to kill. The first form of the final boss was a pain in the ass. You had to evade his tentacles and shoot at the core, aiming up all the time with the R button and trying to lock with L at te same time just didn't work. The screw attack was tacked on, the game was obviously not designed for it, and the few times you had to use it seemed like some kind of exploit or glitch. The dark world was just boring, my least favorite part from Prime 1 was the artefact hunt. 3 keys for each temple and 9 keys for the final sequence didn't help the game either. Most of the time I would just stand near a light chrystal while playing Advance Wars 2, waiting for the damn energy to be refilled. The Map was a mess compared to prime 1. The level design, way to complex. Apart from the spiderball tracks there were areas in the darkworld which you had to reach through portals which were never on the right spot on the map. Some portals were just to collect a missle or energy tank. The game was like a maze. The save points sucked as well. For instance, you had to make all your way down to the blogg boss and you couldn't save once you reached him because there was no way to go up without the waterbooster thing.

MP3 took everything that was wrong with MP2 and fixed it, it also had some references to MP1 like
phendrana
. MP2 had "Metroid clones" no Ridley, no Kraid or Motherbrain and only some random soldiers and a shitty multiplayer mode to make up for it.

blu

oh, boy..

[Nintex] said:
MP2 is broken compared to MP1/MP3. For instance the pacing is horrible, even the weakest enemies are annoying and take minutes to kill.

care to name a few 'weak enemies that took you minutes to kill'?

The first form of the final boss was a pain in the ass. You had to evade his tentacles and shoot at the core, aiming up all the time with the R button and trying to lock with L at te same time just didn't work.

strange, are we thinking of the same boss fight? the one where the 1st stage lasts a couple of minutes?

anyway, nitpicking echoes' emperor fight and then saying corruption 'got all that right' is nothing short of ironic.

The screw attack was tacked on, the game was obviously not designed for it, and the few times you had to use it seemed like some kind of exploit or glitch.

the bloody irony. combined with that from the pervious paragraph, it's becoming a bit overwhelming, frankly.

The dark world was just boring, my least favorite part from Prime 1 was the artefact hunt. 3 keys for each temple and 9 keys for the final sequence didn't help the game either. Most of the time I would just stand near a light chrystal while playing Advance Wars 2, waiting for the damn energy to be refilled. The Map was a mess compared to prime 1. The level design, way to complex. Apart from the spiderball tracks there were areas in the darkworld which you had to reach through portals which were never on the right spot on the map. Some portals were just to collect a missle or energy tank. The game was like a maze. The save points sucked as well. For instance, you had to make all your way down to the blogg boss and you couldn't save once you reached him because there was no way to go up without the waterbooster thing.

wait, you aren't by any chance joke-posting, are you?

MP3 took everything that was wrong with MP2 and fixed it, it also had some references to MP1 like
phendrana
. MP2 had "Metroid clones" no Ridley, no Kraid or Motherbrain and only some random soldiers and a shitty multiplayer mode to make up for it.

..yep, you are.

[Nintex] said:
MP2 is broken compared to MP1/MP3. For instance the pacing is horrible, even the weakest enemies are annoying and take minutes to kill. The first form of the final boss was a pain in the ass. You had to evade his tentacles and shoot at the core, aiming up all the time with the R button and trying to lock with L at te same time just didn't work. The screw attack was tacked on, the game was obviously not designed for it, and the few times you had to use it seemed like some kind of exploit or glitch. The dark world was just boring, my least favorite part from Prime 1 was the artefact hunt. 3 keys for each temple and 9 keys for the final sequence didn't help the game either. Most of the time I would just stand near a light chrystal while playing Advance Wars 2, waiting for the damn energy to be refilled. The Map was a mess compared to prime 1. The level design, way to complex. Apart from the spiderball tracks there were areas in the darkworld which you had to reach through portals which were never on the right spot on the map. Some portals were just to collect a missle or energy tank. The game was like a maze. The save points sucked as well. For instance, you had to make all your way down to the blogg boss and you couldn't save once you reached him because there was no way to go up without the waterbooster thing.

phendrana

Again, this is all simply opinion and though I agree with points, like the artifact hunt and the pacing (it really was methodical) I disagree with most everything else. Obviously your tastes veer towards fast paced action rather than slow paced investigation. I like both. To me, Echoes and Corruption suffer for opposite reasons. Corruption is shallow, but has great momentum. Echoes is deep, but tends to plod along. Both have tougher enemies than Prime, but for different reasons. Corruption's enemies are kinda dumb, but take a lot of hits. I much prefer Echoes enemies which are very aggressive and feel smarter (and I love the multi stage puzzle bosses). Ugh, I could go on at much greater length but I need to save the material for another post.

Anyway, it's still opinion. Echoes and Corruption are both great games, but appeal to different tastes. It's simply incorrect to accuse either of being "broken" because they feature elements you don't personally like.

On the subject of areas in the game, what are everyone's favourite and least favourite areas in Corruption?

I would have to say that I was blown away by the Pirate Homeworld. Absolutely blown away. The atmosphere, the visuals (bloom lighting is used tremendously well in that place), the Omega Ridley boss fight...it contained some of my favourite moments in the game.

Surprisingly for me Skytown was a bit of a let down. It was still great, but i found the rooms to be too repetitive (how many damn elevator rooms can there be in one world?).

Oh, and Bryyo kicked all sorts of ass and is the definitive metroid environment in the game.

blu

DragonGirl said:
Ugh, I could go on at much greater length but I need to save the material for another post.
before the new year? : )

_Alkaline_ said:
On the subject of areas in the game, what are everyone's favourite and least favourite areas in Corruption?

technically, i'd have to go with elysia as most impressive, for the simple reason that there retro truly demonstrate ultimate mastery of game level design - they overcome one of the fundamental limitations of their engine, as a result of which sky town feels like an open-space, largely-outdoor level, whereas in fact it's still an entirely indoor 'corridory' type of topology. hat off to that.

sentimentally, i'd go with bryyo - that level constituted best the solitude, exploration and civilization-tragic-downfall story, trademarks of the series.

re the least likeable - i don't have an area in corruption which i don't like per se, but relatively speaking, i'd have to go with the pirate homeworld - the whole infiltration theme is not my favorite motif in the metroid series, i'm more of the archeological/investigatory type of guy. in contrast, the pirate homeworld felt a bit like an enemy troops camp, than like a proper prime world with its history and secrets to uncover.

ed: i'm totally spaced-out re the calendar.

Rezbit

_Alkaline_ said:

Agree with you on Pirate Homeworld, one of the great Metroid environments. The remixed Crateria track, and the general feel really took me back to Super Metroid. Bryyo was great as well, amazingly creative. Skytown was very atmospheric, but I share your sentiments about the samey-elevator room.

Norion was TERRIBLE. Absolutely shit. Crap layout, crap design, disappointingly generic. It was only saved somewhat by that great fight with Ridley.

papercut

Rezbit said:
Norion was TERRIBLE. Absolutely shit. Crap layout, crap design, disappointingly generic. It was only saved somewhat by that great fight with Ridley.

I liked revisiting Norion later. It was spooky as hell. I wish they would have done more with that.

blu said:
before the new year? : )
Ugh again. I wish. That had been my original intent but I really got hammered hard by work this December, as in, work followed me home and I really hate that. My post involves replaying all three games and I'm only just now finishing up Prime. January looks like it'll be a more normal schedule, so unless I get blindsided by work again, I'll have no problem posting some time in January.

_Alkaline_ said:

I would have to say that I was blown away by the Pirate Homeworld. Absolutely blown away. The atmosphere, the visuals (bloom lighting is used tremendously well in that place), the Omega Ridley boss fight...it contained some of my favourite moments in the game.

Surprisingly for me Skytown was a bit of a let down. It was still great, but i found the rooms to be too repetitive (how many damn elevator rooms can there be in one world?).

Oh, and Bryyo kicked all sorts of ass and is the definitive metroid environment in the game.

Hmm. I'm really going to have to go with the Valhalla (as my favorite), and purely because of the atmosphere. None of the level designs really wowed me from a game play perspective and they all seemed to have equal amounts of positives and negatives for me. Elysia was pretty on the outside, but repetitive on the inside. Bryyo was organic, but too simple. Pirate Homeworld was too orange. So, I have to go with the area that left the best impression and that was the Valhalla. It was wonderfully creepy. I wish there had been a lot..I mean a lot, more too it. Alas, like so much in Corruption, it felt under-realized.

As for my least favorite? Hmm...there's no area that I dislike. I guess I'll have to go with Norion as my least liked because there's nothing to the place. I will not say it was crap though, as it simply wasn't. One thing I respect Retro for doing is trying to make a game environment have some real world sense to it. This is hard. Game environments are contrived by their very nature. They are designed around the avatar's abilities and giving the player stuff to do. trying to make these worlds believable at the same time is tough.

Norion is a human military installation. What I expect is a structure designed with function over form; efficient and utilitarian. Even as "dull" as Norion was, it was what I fully expected. And still it stretched credibility with some of its more eccentric constructs, all for the sake of game play. As such, I can't fault it for being what it is. It's actually for this reason I prefer metroid environments staying away from "man made" structures and focusing on natural environments. There's less design restriction. Heck, why do you think Samus encounters so many ancient ruins? Collapsing buildings allow an excuse for exercising creativity in level design. I personally feel the reason the environments of Corruption are so ho-hum compared to Prime and Echoes is because Corruption has so many more "man made" environments.

Sagitario

_Alkaline_ said:

My favorite place: Bryyo - environments, music, puzzles, enemies... :)
My least favorite: Skytown [I almost hated that place] - too big, soooo much loading, the only place where some rooms looked identical to the point of being confusing...

KevinCow

Banned
Skytown outside was great. Skytown inside sucked, except for a few rooms that were cool because you could hear them creaking and stuff, and... that one part, with the laboratory. If Skytown had been all outside, it would have been my favorite. But so much of it was inside, and it especially annoyed me that the music changed when you went inside.

Pirate Homeworld was just a bit... I dunno, it wasn't bad, but I don't like that feeling of being outnumbered and overpowered in a Metroid game. Especially late in the game. That's when you're supposed to be kicking ass. It looked cool, though, I'll give it that. All sorts of gears and stuff moving in the background, and very well done alien architechture.

Norion... served well as an introduction. It made sense for it to be relatively straightforward, I think. And while it may not have fit perfectly in a Metroid game, I think it was pretty enjoyable as the opening.

I think Bryyo was the most enjoyable. It offered the most varied environments, a more Metroid-like exploration based progression, come cool looking tribal-like scenery that's new and interesting to the Metroid franchise, some of the coolest puzzles, especially the ones involving fuel gel, and Rundas.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
_Alkaline_ said:
On the subject of areas in the game, what are everyone's favorite and least favorite areas in Corruption?

I would have to say that I was blown away by the Pirate Homeworld. Absolutely blown away. The atmosphere, the visuals (bloom lighting is used tremendously well in that place), the Omega Ridley boss fight...it contained some of my favorite moments in the game.

I think my favorite probably goes to the G.F.S. Valhalla (spooky ship) with the Pirate Homeworld as a close second. I loved every section of the game but if I had to pick a least favorite then it would be the opening ship G.F.S. Olympus.

Damn, I took waaaaay too much screenshots :lol . More than a hundred already... But this game looks SO great I just can't help but snap a picture of every great locale, creature, or machinery I come across...

sphinx

the piano man
[Nintex] said:
..metroid 2 hate post..

look, I don't mean to be rude but I think you just aren't very good at the game.

for example. The first part of the final boss in Echoes, you didn't have to shoot at the core initially, you just have to lock-on the tentacles, shot missiles and when they are all down, charge the annihilator beam and shot directly in the core´s eye for like 2 or 3 times to then get to the next phase.... nothing " impossible" there.

I don't think I am going to change your mind and don't care about it anyway. It's just that most of your complains seem baseless or just too personal to be taken serious.

Nobody hear questions your right to dislike MP2. Just please stop using " It's flawed/Broken " because it is 100% bullshit.

when you consider there are a couple of new-to-nintendo gamers with the Wii, and that some of them may come here as lurkers just to read lies like " MP2 is broken ", I feel the need to set things straight.

DragonGirl said:
Again, this is all simply opinion and though I agree with points, like the artifact hunt and the pacing (it really was methodical) I disagree with most everything else. Obviously your tastes veer towards fast paced action rather than slow paced investigation. I like both. To me, Echoes and Corruption suffer for opposite reasons. Corruption is shallow, but has great momentum. Echoes is deep, but tends to plod along. Both have tougher enemies than Prime, but for different reasons. Corruption's enemies are kinda dumb, but take a lot of hits. I much prefer Echoes enemies which are very aggressive and feel smarter (and I love the multi stage puzzle bosses). Ugh, I could go on at much greater length but I need to save the material for another post.

Anyway, it's still opinion. Echoes and Corruption are both great games, but appeal to different tastes. It's simply incorrect to accuse either of being "broken" because they feature elements you don't personally like.

I love dragongirl, so intelligent and with nice articulated thoughts. I will page her everytime we get the metroid prime hate thread of the season. :p

Shoho

Banned
I have only tried Prime 1 fairly quickly...

Im wondering if Prime 3: Corruption, has a good story? is it captivating? I dont care about beating the bosses or that stuff.

I just wanna know if its a appealing world with a nice story and set of character in a non-clichee universe?

Top Bottom