• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

oracrest

I always really enjoyed the Hydro Dynamo track from Echoes, as the original that it's a remix of is one of my favorite tracks from Super.

Samus vs. Essence of Metroid Prime was always my favorite from the first Prime. Although, it clicked by listening to the actual music track by itself. I think the boss fight where it plays during the game was too intense to actually focus on the music for me during the actual game.

The Metroid music has always been top notch. Super Metroid was one of the earliest games I can remember where I actually felt the music enhaced the atmosphere, and would prefer listening to it's soundtrack over just some of my other music.

(Shadowgate and Deja Vu being a couple of other games that got a lot out of their soundtrack back in the day..)

Dash

So I finally finished this game last night, and this was easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played all year. The graphics were absolutely stunning, especially given the hardware limitations. I'd go as far as saying I preferred the look of MP3 over 90% of next-gen games. Even though it's been said a million times, artistic direction >>> raw graphical power. Which leads to my next point, the brilliant atmosphere. I think only Bioshock rivals MP3 in terms of how immersed I was in the game's world. I just loved the game's world so much that I scanned every possible thing I could find, and for me finding pieces of lore to be more rewarding than actual suit upgrades. I especially loved the backstory to both Bryyo and Elysia, and felt their respective stories to be far more interesting than most storytelling in videogames. The incredible OST of course helps, with Elysia quite possibly having one of the most memorable tracks in recent memory.

I won't go too much into the gameplay, as it really was just a culmination of Retro's previous work, and an overall more streamlined version of Metroid Prime 1. The only complaint I have is that the suit upgrades felt a little too easy to find sometimes, and did not feel as rewarding as previous efforts. Complaints about back-tracking left me "o_O" though. If anything, there should've been more! Without even trying, I had all but two power cells by the end of the game. The controls were also a welcome demonstration of the Wii's ability to do FPS'. Aside from the slow turning, I think I preferred it even to M/KB.

Some people might not have liked them, but I thought the introduction of three fellow hunters was brilliant.
I loved how Retro made you feel secure in Norion by having some allies for a change, only to later turn them against you, creating an even more intense feeling of isolation than in previous games. It was made even more poignant that they were each killed by Samus (which I totally wasn't expecting with Rundas), indicating that they were too corrupted to be saved.

Anyhow, sorry for the bump. I just had to splooge over how much I loved this game :D. If anyone wants some friend vouchers, give me a PM!

king

Banned
well since i decided i am not going to get this game despite how much inlove i am with MP1 fusion zero mission and super metroid, i read the wiki plot. No metroids are mentioned at all, are they in the game?

king said:
well since i decided i am not going to get this game despite how much inlove i am with MP1 fusion zero mission and super metroid, i read the wiki plot. No metroids are mentioned at all, are they in the game?

Yes they are.

CrisKre

I just wanted to add, I finished this game again and this is my GOTY alongside Mario Galaxy, and i own all three systems.

Corruption is to me the best prime title and a tie with super metroid as the best metroid title. The pacing is superb and the new controls really push the immersion factor by an huge margin.

But what really made me fall in love with this game is the absolutelly out of this world amazing design the folks at retro pulled off. The environments are so breathtakingly unike and functional, the planets are so different, the rooms and corridors are so unique... its just so much more than cosmetic beauty.

So there, i fully recommend Corruption and hope every gamer gives this title a shot. It has atmosphere (even better in my eyes than bioshock), diversity, beauty and proves to be the most fun single player FPS ive experiensed. It really is the culmination of an amazing formula realized to perfection IMO.

Nicko

Finally finished Corruption after months and months of hiatus (mostly due to school).

Have to say, FREAKING GREAT GAME! Beat it with 100% saw the extra stuff at the end.

I really don't want to go sifting through the almost 200 pages of this post, so I will ask it here.

SPOILERS

Who was that thing following Samus at the end? Did not recognize it.

Also, how to I do spoiler tags?

Nicko said:
Finally finished Corruption after months and months of hiatus (mostly due to school).

Have to say, FREAKING GREAT GAME! Beat it with 100% saw the extra stuff at the end.

I really don't want to go sifting through the almost 200 pages of this post, so I will ask it here.

SPOILERS

Who was that thing following Samus at the end? Did not recognize it.

Also, how to I do spoiler tags?

It's been concluded (but not confirmed) by many to be Sylux's ship from Metroid Prime Hunters.

To do spoiler tags:

Put
, then put your text in, and then close off with the same thing but with the a slash "/".

Just finished it. I have to say overall Im pretty happy about the whole experience. There were some minor letdowns compared to the previous metroids though.

The Good:

-Controls, If they re-released the old metroids with the (sensitive setting) wii controls it would be awesome. I think the sensitive setting should have been default.

-Amount of detail in the settings.

-Wii motion controls felt really well implemented.

-The pirates had a better design compared to the previous games. They looked more threatening compared to insect like creatures from the previous games

-The level design felt really intuitive

The Bad:

-The bosses were relatively weak. Shoot the red spot, pull off some stuff, shoot some more red spots. The bosses in previous metroids were way harder.

-The final boss was a bit of a letdown.
Dark samus wasnt all that hard, and the final aurora boss didnt really put up a fight. I was hoping for a showdown of motherbrain proportions, but it was more shoot the red spot.

-The art direction was really good in some places, mostly the enviroments, but really bad in others. The soldiers in the game looked like some designs from a bad seventies sci-fi flick. And dont even start me on that general dude. The space ship designs were mostly very bad, and didnt feel like having any weight.
Remember that hunter waving about samus ship? Even if he was really strong, it should at least have more inertia.

-The overal creature design was a bit repetitive. The previous installments had a bit more variation.

-Overall the levels felt smaller compared to previous games. When you had every part covered, you can basically traverse every level within a few minutes.
And four worlds werent really that much.

But overall a pretty good game. I would say a solid 8. I dont really get why they want you to get some friend vouchers to unlock stuff. I mean Come on, I finished every part of the game, and now I have to get some people I dont know to be my friend so I can see all the goodies? Wtf!?

So anyone wanting to trade some vouchers, pm me please. I've got 15 to go.

Threi

notag
Played a little bit of it today - going back to play it i realize that although SMG has better technical effects, this is the most visually appealing game on the Wii so far. Valhalla is just so freaking good. :D

I picked up Metroid Prime 3 on the day of its release and played through about 70% of the game before simply losing interest in the title for whatever reason. Again, for no apparent reason, I just decided that I would start playing the game again a few days back.

I just beat the game about twenty minutes ago and while I would say that overall Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is an enjoyable experience I'm glad that Retro is taking a break from the series to work on something else.

While I liked how they introduced multiple worlds to explore, that you could use your ship to travel between those worlds at will, and how you can even remotely control your ship for some sections of the game. What I didn't like was the more cinematic approach they took with this game, specifically because of the characters you interacted with, had to watch and listen to.

I don't get how a company like Retro can have such fantastic level and creature designs but have such horrible character designs in the same game. I'm also glad what talking there was was kept to a minimum, cutscenes with dialogue and character interaction is not Retro's forte.

I hope we don't see another Metroid, at least another console installment (By all means bring on a 2D DS Metroid!), for another generation. While Corruption is one of the best looking games on the system--I think MP3 is a testament to how far fantastic art direction can outweigh or overcome whatever technical limitations the system has--I don't want to see another Metroid until there's a leap forward in the hardware. I want to see a signifigant difference between Corruption and the next iteration of Metroid.

Also BETTER STREAMING! I swear one hour of my fouteen hour playtime was spent looking at doors and waiting for-fucking-ever for them to open.

I finished this a couple of weeks ago. Only 75% of the stuff. It's the second Wii game I finish (the 1st one was Zelda), and I loved it. I felt like I was in Samus' skin.
I think I'll re-play it or at least keep looking for more upgrades.

n128

ok

JP cover is out

img.php

Damn, I still don't have enough of this awesome game. I finally finished the game with 100% scans (took me three playthrough), And I'm just starting my fourth game to try to do an ultimately 100%'d save. (should'n't be too hard with the satelittes data). I still haven't unlocked every bonus though (there is still two songs left or something...But I don't have enough tokens).

It is written. It is late, it's still with my volunteer squad of editors, but it is written. My rather substantial retrospective of the Metroid Prime Trilogy is close to done (just need to grab some pretty illustrations). For those of you who have expressed interest in reading it, I'll be posting it as a new thread this Monday the 18th sometime in the evening (barring internet failure or modem death). I hope you all enjoy my personal take on the series. I also hope to engender a new spate of discussions so feel free to comment on anything that strikes your fancy.

DragonGirl said:
It is written. It is late, it's still with my volunteer squad of editors, but it is written. My rather substantial retrospective of the Metroid Prime Trilogy is close to done (just need to grab some pretty illustrations). For those of you who have expressed interest in reading it, I'll be posting it as a new thread this Monday the 18th sometime in the evening (barring internet failure or modem death). I hope you all enjoy my personal take on the series. I also hope to engender a new spate of discussions so feel free to comment on anything that strikes your fancy.

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DragonGirl said:

just make sure there's sufficient echoes loving in there ; )

RPGCrazied

Anyone elses Disc drive make weird noises(disc accessing)when its loading areas? Seems to be alot of the time. Its a new wii, maybe its just how it sounds when its access the disc. Someone on youtube recorded the sound.. and its exactly what i hear. Its not all the time.. only really when entering ship, first loading up the game.. and inbetween some levels. I hear it in every game.. just moreso in MP3.

I loved the game though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
RPGCrazied said:
Anyone elses Disc drive make weird noises(disc accessing)when its loading areas? Seems to be alot of the time. Its a new wii, maybe its just how it sounds when its access the disc. Someone on youtube recorded the sound.. and its exactly what i hear. Its not all the time.. only really when entering ship, first loading up the game.. and inbetween some levels. I hear it in every game.. just moreso in MP3.

I loved the game though.
Yeah mine does that too, must be the constant streaming of data.

RPGCrazied

ok, thanks! hoping it wasnt the disc drive. it runs fine though.. so it shouldnt be a problem

Plus now i got some 80dollar wireless headphones, so i cant hear it anymore. :)

Avrum

_Alkaline_ said:
It's been concluded (but not confirmed) by many to be Sylux's ship from Metroid Prime Hunters.

I still don't get that reasoning as the ship following Samus doesn't even look all that much like the Delano7 or whatever the hell Sylux's ship is called, save for the four wings/airfoils they both share, the body of the Delano and that of the ship following Samus seem completely different.

Sagitario

Avrum said:
I still don't get that reasoning as the ship following Samus doesn't even look all that much like the Delano7 or whatever the hell Sylux's ship is called, save for the four wings/airfoils they both share, the body of the Delano and that of the ship following Samus seem completely different.

Samus ship is different in each game... does that mean it's not Samus' ship? It retains the core design with each iteration... just like this mysterious ship at the end of MP3 and Sylux's ship...

I'm not saying it's Sylux's, but the reason you gave is not a good one...

Avrum

Farore said:
Samus ship is different in each game... does that mean it's not Samus' ship? It retains the core design with each iteration... just like this mysterious ship at the end of MP3 and Sylux's ship...

I'm not saying it's Sylux's, but the reason you gave is not a good one...

Ok, well let's go with that.

Exactly what suggests that this is Sylux ship then? I mean, at least with Samus' Hunter class you have some idea it is indeed Samus' ship because you have some clues to go on. Like the fact Samus can enter and exit it and how the game makes it rather obvious it's Samus' ship. So what exactly is there to go on to suggest that particular ship is then Sylux's?

The ship really doesn't look much at all like the Delano7 which is why I'm wondering where these people are getting the idea that it's Sylux's ship.

Avrum said:
Ok, well let's go with that.

Exactly what suggests that this is Sylux ship then? I mean, at least with Samus' Hunter class you have some idea it is indeed Samus' ship because you have some clues to go on. Like the fact Samus can enter and exit it and how the game makes it rather obvious it's Samus' ship. So what exactly is there to go on to suggest that particular ship is then Sylux's?

The ship really doesn't look much at all like the Delano7 which is why I'm wondering where these people are getting the idea that it's Sylux's ship.

It's the closest design in the Metroid universe that we've seen to the ship that appears at the end of Corruption.

It could very well be that the ship belong to an entirely new character. I would prefer this as it sets up future games, either from Nintendo or from Retro.

Morts

Well, I've finally realized that I'm never going to beat
Omega Ridley
on hyper difficulty. I just can't do it. Whenever I get him down to his last bit of health I just don't have enough energy left to go into hyper mode one last time, and I'm exhausted from my repeated attempts.

Morts said:
Well, I've finally realized that I'm never going to beat
Omega Ridley
on hyper difficulty. I just can't do it. Whenever I get him down to his last bit of health I just don't have enough energy left to go into hyper mode one last time, and I'm exhausted from my repeated attempts.

I could be wrong, but I thought that there are things you can shoot to get health (phazon) pickups? I'm not certain what, but I can remember being in a similar situation and just having to refill Phazon. I think it was his fireball attacks.

Morts

_Alkaline_ said:
I could be wrong, but I thought that there are things you can shoot to get health (phazon) pickups? I'm not certain what, but I can remember being in a similar situation and just having to refill Phazon. I think it was his fireball attacks.

You can destroy those?!

Ok, here's some tips I can give you::

Shoot his fireballs (not his airborne bombs, and not his flamethrower, but his regular fireballs to get health and missiles.

Also, don't got into hypermode until his weakspot is exposed. When you do go into hypermode, remember to stay in there for as long as possible and use the "phazon conservation" rule - that is, once you become 'corrupted' and need to expel your phazon, do a few shot at a time, but follow this with a bit of wait before shooting again, keeping the bar at the top somewhere around the middle (if too far left you'll get out of hypermode, if too far right you'll die). That way, you won't lose health and won't fall out of hypermode, though of course, eventually you'll automatically exit out of hypermode.

Morts

Thank you much. I will go at him with renewed vigor tomorrow. It would be a shame if I had to abandon my third playthrough at 97% complete.

I beat the game last night on normal mode with 10 E-tanks. Final boss was a major let down cuz it was too predictable! I beat her in first round!

What an awesome job RS did except that i'm damn pissed!!! I accidently overwrite my current file thanks to trying out hypermode difficulty.

MP 1 and 2 let you select brand new file to try out the hardest settings while you keep the other save file but not this one. Uggh.

I lost all my 75 % of my save file so i can go back pick up the rest of 25 pick-ups i missed to get an extended ending (100%).

Curses.... Curses.... going back to do it all over again. :(

Jade Knight 08 said:
I beat the game last night on normal mode with 10 E-tanks. Final boss was a major let down cuz it was too predictable! I beat her in first round!

What an awesome job RS did except that i'm damn pissed!!! I accidently overwrite my current file thanks to trying out hypermode difficulty.

MP 1 and 2 let you select brand new file to try out the hardest settings while you keep the other save file but not this one. Uggh.

I lost all my 75 % of my save file so i can go back pick up the rest of 25 pick-ups i missed to get an extended ending (100%).

The reason the same file is used is because certain things like credits and scans hold over into the new game. So, in the new game, every scan and credit you got before, you keep it, plus, new credits become available and any extras you bought are also kept. It's rather like a New Game Plus.

Hey, while this topic just came up, does anyone in the US have any friend vounchers they'd like to trade? I only got enough for the screenshot ability, so I missed out on a lot of the other bonuses. I have like 10-15 to give out.

My Wii# is 4364 5244 3914 6089

Thank ya!

DragonGirl said:
The reason the same file is used is because certain things like credits and scans hold over into the new game. So, in the new game, every scan and credit you got before, you keep it, plus, new credits become available and any extras you bought are also kept. It's rather like a New Game Plus.

Thanks for the clarification.

effzee

im stuck!!!

im on phaaze up to the point where you have to rip off the sides of some organic being/thing hanging from the ceiling. i use my lasso to clasp it but i cant seem to pull it off. am i doing something wrong?

im supposed to pull off 2 sides and i cant seem to pull any of the sides off. it doesnt help that those flying creatures keep attacking me. is it a timed thing? or repetition?

also without spoiling the ending for me...is it worth it to get 100% of the pickups for the special ending? i unlocked the special ending you get when you get 75% of the pickups but i know there is another one at 100%. is it worth it? cause i dont feel like backtracking and looking for everything i missed.

thanks for the answers/help.

Threi

notag
^^^ suck it up (pull the analog stick back) or inject it (push the analog stick forward). Something will work.

however if you are talking about the big thing with the thing swimming around inside it you have to turn on your xray visor and shoot it. It takes TONS of shots to kill.

needs to be bumped though this is still the #1 game on the Wii IMO.

Innotech

Banned
I am thoroughly stuck on a part I have been stuck at since shorty after I got the game. It has led me to believe that Im in no way skilled enough to beat Veteran mode but I REALLY want to see the rest of this game (only on the 4th boss, how sad) so Im going to swallow my pride and try to beat it in easy mode. that way at least Ill be able to see the gorgeous level designs and get somewhere in this game :lol

Top Bottom