• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Innotech

Banned
urge26 said:
I'll add... just purchased from Gamefly, never experienced a prime title, looking forward to it.
Oh Jesus. Prepare yourself for a fucking ride. the art style and atmosphere and music of the game is just incredible, SD be damned.

effzee

Threi said:
^^^ suck it up (pull the analog stick back) or inject it (push the analog stick forward). Something will work.

however if you are talking about the big thing with the thing swimming around inside it you have to turn on your xray visor and shoot it. It takes TONS of shots to kill.

needs to be bumped though this is still the #1 game on the Wii IMO.

thanks. thats what i thought it was. i kept trying and trying but nothing worked. i would latch on with the lasso but it wouldn't come undone.

as for the game itself yeah i never played the first 2 prime titles or the original metroid games so i went fresh into this one.

im sure there are tons of things im missing or not appreciating because i never played the previous versions but this game is simply amazing. the level design, the atmosphere, the way the lore unveils the story, the controls, and the overall pace of the game. just amazing...probably one of the best games i have ever played.

how much harder is the veteran mode?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
effzee said:
it's properly hard ; )

to everybody who is touching this phenomenon of a game for the first time: you, guys, are creating your gaming memories today. years from now, when you look back at your highs in video games you'll be remembering the metroid prime saga. cherish it.

Innotech

Banned
effzee said:
thanks. thats what i thought it was. i kept trying and trying but nothing worked. i would latch on with the lasso but it wouldn't come undone.

as for the game itself yeah i never played the first 2 prime titles or the original metroid games so i went fresh into this one.

im sure there are tons of things im missing or not appreciating because i never played the previous versions but this game is simply amazing. the level design, the atmosphere, the way the lore unveils the story, the controls, and the overall pace of the game. just amazing...probably one of the best games i have ever played.

lets just say that is the reason I havent gotten past the 4th boss. I suck more than the average player though.

Innotech said:
lets just say that is the reason I havent gotten past the 4th boss. I suck more than the average player though.

That boss isn't that difficult. Just use Hypermode to your advantage and it'll be over before you know it.

Innotech

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
That boss isn't that difficult. Just use Hypermode to your advantage and it'll be over before you know it.
Ive tried. so many times Ive tried. But Ive fried. so many times Ive fried.

Innotech said:
Ive tried. so many times Ive tried. But Ive fried. so many times Ive fried.

Ok, maybe i can give you some help.

The boss you're struggling against is
Mogenar
, right?

Which aspect of the boss are you struggling against?

Innotech

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Ok, maybe i can give you some help.

The boss you're struggling against is
Mogenar
, right?

Which aspect of the boss are you struggling against?
no its that fucking
kurok creature
Isnt that the 4th? Maybe I counted wrong.

Innotech said:
no its that fucking
kurok creature

Oh!

Well then here's some advice (without giving too much away because i want you to beat this guy without knowing exactly how:

The following are your friends: Isolation (Think about it. There's more than one enemy to start off with). Tongue. Bombs. Tail. Grapple. Chest.

That might not make any sense at all, but if it does, it should help you realise what you need to do. This guy isn't hard at all if you put your mind to it. :)

blu

Innotech said:
no its that fucking
kurok creature
it's a mini-boss.

it can be a toughie, but you have one thing there in your decisive advantage - the location is packed with health bits - seek them and use them. the battle itself is rather mechanical, in the 'rinse, repeat' sense.

Innotech

Banned
blu said:
it's a mini-boss.

it can be a toughie, but you have one thing there in your decisive advantage - the location is packed with health bits - seek them and use them. the battle itself is rather mechanical, in the 'rinse, repeat' sense.
hardest mini boss ever then. Fuuuuck.

Innotech said:
hardest mini boss ever then. Fuuuuck.

The boss coming up is going to be a bit of trouble for you then. :lol

And you're not even on the hardest difficulty level. :p

Let us know when you beat
Kurak
. :)

I never thought I'd say this, but after some contemplation, after playing some Prime 3, I can;t quite see other Wii games the same way again.

I never liked all these atmosphere, art drivel, but Prime 3 made me a convert.

Nintendo would be stupid to not let Retro realize thier talents by not letting them make thier own IP.

beef3483

It's good to see this thread is still going. The game deserves it. It warms the cockles of my heart to see new people getting enjoyment from the series.

Innotech

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
The boss coming up is going to be a bit of trouble for you then. :lol

And you're not even on the hardest difficulty level. :p

Let us know when you beat
Kurak
. :)
I love gaming to death but I suck so bad at it. Im not sure why really.

Innotech

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
I never thought I'd say this, but after some contemplation, after playing some Prime 3, I can;t quite see other Wii games the same way again.

I never liked all these atmosphere, art drivel, but Prime 3 made me a convert.

Nintendo would be stupid to not let Retro realize thier talents by not letting them make thier own IP.
they ARE letting them develop a new IP. What that is though nobody knows yet.

scitek

Most underrated Wii game, by far.

14xjlfo.jpg

<3

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've been trying to end this game the past couple nights, taking on the endboss rush and need tips(Veteran mode).

Dark Samus isn't too bad until she hits about half health and starts doing all sorts of attacks that don't give much window for damage and are seemingly unavoidable. I turn on the X-ray visor to track the 'real' form, but when she does the spinning dance with her other clones she is almost impossible to hit or dodge. Space jumps won't get away fast or far enough AND do damage to me. Rolling into ball form as well. They track strafing really well too and move to fast to effectively dodge. I feel there is some trick to this section of the fight I am NOT getting, and faqs don't say much beyond "Keep shooting!" Bleh...

Basically when I reach Aurora body, I usually have at best 1/4 health or less left, the first form I have down pretty solid though, but the head just DESTROYS me. Those yellow lasers shred me apart :(

Basically I need a solid strategy so I can end this madness. Oh and with all the pre-hype Mother Brain teasers, what a total letdown in terms of endbosses

Oh and as for my opinion...while not a horrible game by any stretch, this is officially my least favorite Metroid game in the entire legacy by a large margin. Prime 1+2 may not have the Wii controls, but I vastly enjoyed them over this game. Looking back at 2007, this definately makes my list of greatest dissapointments that year.

Oh and how about that system of forcing me to trade friend vouchers to unlock bonuses? Why not have them act as wild coins that fill in missing colors instead of forced green ones...what a shitload of fuck. So anyone want to trade? I have like 20...

Christine

Brandon F said:
I've been trying to end this game the past couple nights, taking on the endboss rush and need tips(Veteran mode).

Dark Samus isn't too bad until she hits about half health and starts doing all sorts of attacks that don't give much window for damage and are seemingly unavoidable. I turn on the X-ray visor to track the 'real' form, but when she does the spinning dance with her other clones she is almost impossible to hit or dodge. Space jumps won't get away fast or far enough AND do damage to me. Rolling into ball form as well. They track strafing really well too and move to fast to effectively dodge. I feel there is some trick to this section of the fight I am NOT getting, and faqs don't say much beyond "Keep shooting!" Bleh...

Get fairly near the edge of the stage facing the center and strafe left and right alternately to avoid that attack. There's a rhythm to it. Oh, and keep shooting. A good offense is your best defense in this fight.

Basically when I reach Aurora body, I usually have at best 1/4 health or less left, the first form I have down pretty solid though, but the head just DESTROYS me. Those yellow lasers shred me apart :(

Use the first form to recharge your health. You can get up to full before the final form.

jjasper

I don't remember much about the fight because it was so shitty but I think
I used the morph ball to avoid the lasers
, I could be wrong though.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Threi said:
^^^ suck it up (pull the analog stick back) or inject it (push the analog stick forward). Something will work.

however if you are talking about the big thing with the thing swimming around inside it you have to turn on your xray visor and shoot it. It takes TONS of shots to kill.

needs to be bumped though this is still the #1 game on the Wii IMO.
It takes like 5 fully charged hyperbeam shots to kill it. Not THAT many. You can do it in 3 passes.

blu

TwinIonEngines said:
Get fairly near the edge of the stage facing the center and strafe left and right alternately to avoid that attack. There's a rhythm to it. Oh, and keep shooting. A good offense is your best defense in this fight.

what TIE said, plus a couple of things:

* it's ok to take 1-2 hits per dark samus' dance attack, nothing to worry about, you'll recuperate later
* the screw attack is your friend (tm)

Christine

Threi said:
Hypermode seems easier than Veteran mode so far (I killed Rundas in about two minutes). Maybe it's just me.

No, it's just Rundas. He's a punk bitch who folds like paper as soon as you've learned how to kill him. Wait until you get further in the game.

blu

Bluemercury said:
You're using a CRT TV with progressive scan right?because the game doesnt look as good as those pics.....
the game looks at least as good on my EDTV plasma either. what are you playing it at?

Tab0203

Bluemercury said:
You're using a CRT TV with progressive scan right?because the game doesnt look as good as those pics.....
CRT SDTV + RGB Scart cable. 480i.

It looks better in person. I'm looking at the game right now. (No distorted colours, contrast, brightness, black level, moire effect)

scitek

Bluemercury said:

LOL, how can the game not look that good if all he's doing is taking pics off a TV with a camera? It's not like he's taking direct caps from the Wii and touching them up in Photoshop.

Holy shit Tab, nice screens.

And yeah, it still doesn't represent how good the game looks in person. Those pics subdue the fantastic bloom lighting a bit.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Slowly, but surely still making my way through the game. Picked it up long ago at a Rogers 2/$40 sale, but just now making a bit of progress. Just got the
Plasma Beam
, so I'm not too far. :D

Lovely screens.
Threi said:
Hypermode seems easier than Veteran mode so far (I killed Rundas in about two minutes). Maybe it's just me.
I thought the same when I was playing that mode... until I got to Mogenar.

Magicpaint said:
Lovely screens.

I thought the same when I was playing that mode... until I got to Mogenar.

The problem with Rundus is that you can just spam Hypermode and he has little defence to it. Before you know it, he's dead.

Thankfully, against the later bosses Hypermode is only viable at certain stages.

You know Tab, i would love to see some Twilight Princess screens from you. You could post them in my TP appreciation thread if you would like! :)

Tab0203

_Alkaline_ said:
You know Tab, i would love to see some Twilight Princess screens from you. You could post them in my TP appreciation thread if you would like! :)
Give me a couple of hours. :)

(I need darkness, it's 19:43 (07:43 pm) over here)

First pic is in the room just after you obtain the PED suit.

Second pic, i think, is a view of the Metroid containment area in Skytown. I might be wrong about that one though. It's hard to tell. Which room is it Tab?

Tab0203

_Alkaline_ said:
First pic is in the room just after you obtain the PED suit.

Second pic, i think, is a view of the Metroid containment area in Skytown. I might be wrong about that one though. It's hard to tell. Which room is it Tab?
I have no idea. :lol

Arde5643

@Tab0203:

Oh, oh oh, please post pics of Elysia - especially of the beautiful landscapes surrounding it.

I remember that the first time I went to Elysia and started hearing the soundtrack, my jaw just dropped and I spent about a few minutes just looking around the area trying to immerse myself in it.

Man, that was beautiful.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Ahh, this brings back great memories. Now I really feel like I need to play through the game again. I'm so glad it sold over 1 million copies.

blu

_Alkaline_ said:
:lol

Well i can see brownish stuff on the right hand side which i assume is either Skytown's clouds or a cliff in Norion or Bryyo.
norion.

zoukka

Best looking game on Wii, but those screens give it a little too much credit, due to the small size.

Even though I have like 4 games now going unfinished I'm considering starting Corruption on Hypermode... not the best Prime, but what an enjoyable experience.

blu said:

Yeah it does seem to be, thanks!

Best looking game on Wii, but those screens give it a little too much credit, due to the small size.

Even though I have like 4 games now going unfinished I'm considering starting Corruption on Hypermode... not the best Prime, but what an enjoyable experience.

Actually i think it maybe looks even better in person because those pics don't really capture the bloom lighting very well.

Top Bottom