• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

just started this game yesterday after finally beating Super Metroid for the first time

HOLY FREAKING CRAP indeed

this game is awesome

that first fight with meta-ridley while falling down the tunnel blew my damn mind with sheer awesomeness.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the controls in this game are perfect. perfect. the turning speed could be a bit faster, but otherwise incredible.

although this game feels a lot like metroid-lite, the enviroments and production values are through the roof. i'm really conflicted about this game, wondering wether i should 'keep it' from gamefly or just press on and send it back.

does the game get even more remarkable after bryyo? i don't know if i'm into a heavily-scripted metroid game so much.

mattiewheels said:
the controls in this game are perfect. perfect. the turning speed could be a bit faster, but otherwise incredible.

although this game feels a lot like metroid-lite, the enviroments and production values are through the roof. i'm really conflicted about this game, wondering wether i should 'keep it' from gamefly or just press on and send it back.

does the game get even more remarkable after bryyo? i don't know if i'm into a heavily-scripted metroid game so much.

Well, it doesn't change that much, but I really urge you to keep going as there are some amazing locales that you are yet to visit and experience.

_Alkaline_ said:
Well, it doesn't change that much, but I really urge you to keep going as there are some amazing locales that you are yet to visit and experience.

He will shit himself when he gets to you know where...so beautiful

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
mattiewheels said:

Keep it. One of the best games this generation.

Windu said:
Keep it. One of the best games this generation.
I second this. My only problem with the game was that it didnt feel like metroid as much as i would have liked, but you cant take anything away from it. Its a brilliant game, and definitely worth the full play through.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
abstract alien said:
I second this. My only problem with the game was that it didnt feel like metroid as much as i would have liked, but you cant take anything away from it. Its a brilliant game, and definitely worth the full play through.
what keeps it from feeling like metroid for me:

-waaay too linear so far

-scripted events take me out of it rather than immerse me for some reason. guess there's too many of them.

-i understand they needed a big tutorial level to get people used to the wii control's, but the hunters plot felt more like halo than metroid. i'm glad those guys seem to be leaving me alone on bryyo so far.

mattiewheels said:

-waaay too linear so far

-scripted events take me out of it rather than immerse me for some reason. guess there's too many of them.

-i understand they needed a big tutorial level to get people used to the wii control's, but the hunters plot felt more like halo than metroid. i'm glad those guys seem to be leaving me alone on bryyo so far.
Yeah, its definitely linear...well, maybe not so much linear as it is hand holding. You almost never really feel lost or isolated due to the fact that the game pretty much tells you everything. Its a bit less of a problem when you get a bit deeper into it, but it never goes away completely.

They really need to lose the voice acting as well...not everything needs to be spoken to be understood, and that's where its losing another big chunk of its personality. All of those people really dont need to be there while playing anyway(even though they have always been a part of the story). Metroid has always been such an isolated game, and the few times you have met another friendly(or not) living creature, everything is told to you through the gameplay. I really wish they would have taken better care of the "metroid" feel, but its ok i guess, because the game on its own is one of the best.

Pojo

Banned
mattiewheels said:

-waaay too linear so far

It gets better. The first "world" is Halo, the second world is Metroid Prime Hunters. The rest are better.

Corruption is quite a bit more linear than the previous 2 Prime games, which is slightly disappointing but in a sense its also an improvement as it enhances the game's pacing.

Prime and Echoes had those slow, plodding moments (what I would call needless backtracking, something that Super Metroid rarely had) and Corruption thankfully did a lot to remove this.

camineet

Banned
10+ months after buying MP3:C I've only made it as far as Gandrayda.

I know MP3:C is the last mainline console Metroid game for a long time, so, I'm making it last.

mattiewheels said:
I wouldn't bother unless you're dry for games. After Sky town the game was just mediocre for me. I got sick of it once I got to the energy cell quest at the end.

Sadist

mattiewheels said:

They won't bother you that much for the rest of the game. You'll see what I mean.

It's only the first two hours of the game which is like this. The rest of it is more Metroid. A bit differently if you look at the other two games before it, but still Metroid.

pakkit

Banned
mattiewheels said:
the controls in medal of honor: heroes 2 are perfect. perfect. the turning speed in metroid could be a bit faster, like moh:h2, but otherwise incredible.
Fix'd.

You need to keep playing the game. Yes, it's a pretty big change for Metroid, and in many ways, it was like a first-person Zelda in structure, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an excellent game.

Also, what difficulty are you playing at? Metroid Prime 3 goes up from a B/B+ to and A-/A as long as you change the difficulty from easy to medium.

_Alkaline_ said:
Corruption is quite a bit more linear than the previous 2 Prime games, which is slightly disappointing but in a sense its also an improvement as it enhances the game's pacing.

Prime and Echoes had those slow, plodding moments (what I would call needless backtracking, something that Super Metroid rarely had) and Corruption thankfully did a lot to remove this.
Having played through Corruption three times on each difficulty level I have to admit it's my favorite of the Prime games. Sure, the first MP was a magnificent ode to Super Metroid, but Corruption seemed entirely unique and less formulaic. Next to SM it's the most re-playable of the Metroid games.

evilromero said:
Having played through Corruption three times on each difficulty level I have to admit it's my favorite of the Prime games. Sure, the first MP was a magnificent ode to Super Metroid, but Corruption seemed entirely unique and less formulaic. Next to SM it's the most re-playable of the Metroid games.

I have to agree.

Like i said in my appreciation thread for the game, I found Corruption to be the most 'fun' of the three Prime games, even if it had some inferior aspects to Prime and Echoes.

pakkit said:
Also, what difficulty are you playing at? Metroid Prime 3 goes up from a B/B+ to and A-/A as long as you change the difficulty from easy to medium.
Isn't it the other way around? When you consider how unbalanced the combat is. It's too hard without the Phazon and too easy with it.

Visualante said:
Isn't it the other way around? When you consider how unbalanced the combat is. It's too hard without the Phazon and too easy with it.
Hyper mode is brutally difficult because it requires you to eek out every last drop of phazon you can manage. You basically have to utilize the corruption mode to its full extent during the entire game. Once you go back down to Veteran the game is painfully easy.

evilromero said:
Hyper mode is brutally difficult because it requires you to eek out every last drop of phazon you can manage. You basically have to utilize the corruption mode to its full extent during the entire game. Once you go back down to Veteran the game is painfully easy.
How does Hyper mode being more difficult fix the balance issues in Veteran? Relying on a limited resource for difficulty is a really bad way to make a game more difficult.

beef3483

_Alkaline_ said:
I have to agree.

Like i said in my appreciation thread for the game, I found Corruption to be the most 'fun' of the three Prime games, even if it had some inferior aspects to Prime and Echoes.

I kind of feel the same way as well.

Visualante said:
How does Hyper mode being more difficult fix the balance issues in Veteran? Relying on a limited resource for difficulty is a really bad way to make a game more difficult.
I agree that hyper mode is to Corruption as the FLUDD was to Mario Sunshine but I don't think it broke the game in any way. It just offered incentives for less skilled players to get through the campaign.

Corruption can be considered better then its predecessor overall because of the new gameplay, but it fails to become the ultimative Metroid of the trilogy because of the disappointing Sondtrack (better then Echoes, but still way inferior to Prime) and its lentgh: it's too short and it's a shame.
Secondly, it's way too focused to action in comparison to Metroid Prime, that was way more an adventure game, with it's center of mass around exploration and not shooting.
Third, it's too linear. And it's disturbing somehow, because the research of items and new places has been relativity put into a corner. For example, the ice side of Bryyo could have been developed more deeply widely then the 100x100 meters isle it is.
Fourth, I don't like the presence of other characters, of the federation and the fact that Samus works for the federation. Metroid means desolation, desperation, and a sensation of isolation. Samus versus everyone. Only her, and evil. THIS is Metroid for me.

So, it's still a great game, but Metroid Prime is better.

Thaedolus

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Corruption can be considered better then its predecessor overall because of the new gameplay, but it fails to become the ultimative Metroid of the trilogy because of the disappointing Sondtrack (better then Echoes, but still way inferior to Prime) and its lentgh: it's too short and it's a shame.

Eh, I pretty much disagree on all counts :D

The soundtracks, I thought, got better with each game. That's not to say Prime didn't have a great soundtrack, but I think Echoes' was even better and Corruption's was just freakin epic. I mean just going from title screen music, Corruption > Echoes > Prime

Secondly, it's way too focused to action in comparison to Metroid Prime, that was way more an adventure game, with it's center of mass around exploration and not shooting.

I think the focus on action goes hand in hand with not having broken controls anymore. Prime and Echoes had adequate controls at best, and certainly nothing as fluid or fun to play as Corruption's. This allowed for more action, which I appreciated because Samus is a badass and the 2D Metroids controlled like dreams. It was nice not to be fighting the broken controls for once...

Third, it's too linear. And it's disturbing somehow, because the research of items and new places has been relativity put into a corner. For example, the ice side of Bryyo could have been developed more deeply widely then the 100x100 meters isle it is.

Eh, all the games are linear to a degree, unless you're doing sequence breaking. Corruption simply points you in the right direction more blatantly and has more story elements to it. The hints can be turned off AFAIK.

Fourth, I don't like the presence of other characters, of the federation and the fact that Samus works for the federation. Metroid means desolation, desperation, and a sensation of isolation. Samus versus everyone. Only her, and evil. THIS is Metroid for me.

I agree to some extent, the sense of isolation you got in the 2D games, as well as Prime and Echoes is missing. But Samus has always been working for the Federation. I think the addition of the extra characters and insight into how it works outside of "land on planet, blow it up, see you next mission" is interesting, and shows how epic and important this final battle against Dark Samus really is.

But that's just me. I thought the Prime games got better as they came out, whereas a lot of people felt just the opposite.

jrricky

Banned
Just finished beating Gandryya(awesome boss fight) after having this game since launch:lol .

I just never felt like rushing through it and after coming back to it, it feels just as awesome and mindblowing like i just opened the wrapper and started playing again.

Still the best Metroid Ive played. Presentations like voice acting bring the game to a new level for me.

Sagitario

I was replaying the last planet yesterday.... amazing, beautiful... love the controls...

And I finally saw the Metroid cocoon from Prime I, nice fan service :) ...
Is there any way to save the message board pictures to a SD card?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm at the boss right after you build the bomb. I have to admit the bomb building bit really put off. Does the game get better cause I seriously feel like quitting.

FWIW i really enjoyed metroid prime, corruption not so much and I can't really put my finger on why

Althane

Days like these... said:
I'm at the boss right after you build the bomb. I have to admit the bomb building bit really put off. Does the game get better cause I seriously feel like quitting.

Yeah, it gets better. That's a pretty bland part of the game, but you'll get through it.

Days like these... said:

I thought the bomb building was pretty awesome. Anyway, if you feel like quitting now, there's nothing I can do for you. Maybe you just hate good games :D

I didnt have ANY issues with balancing on any difficulty honestly. It was hard, but i never felt it was unbalanced. Some of the energy bars were long as hell though.

jrricky

Banned
There are many creative parts with the grapple which really impress me in the game. I just finished killing
Omega Ridley
and it was great. My brother was saying earlier that he is going to come back as a boss but I said Nah and then he pops up a few minutes after.:lol

Top Bottom