• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
SenseiJinx said:
My problem with Elysia was that it was so boring to explore after completing it...still so beautiful, but there really wasn't a single enemy there after you clear it out. Nothing dangerous, at least. Oh, also, Elysia doesn't hold much weight against Sanctuary Fortress, Metroid's all time best level.
i'd say elysia on hyper can keep me quite wary. sanctuary fortress, of course, is among the best locales in a game this side of the magellan cloud.

Hmm...my favorite area in Prime was the Chozo Ruins. In Echoes it was Sanctuary Fortress (though I also really liked Agon) and in Corruption I loved the Valhalla even though it was too small. Thinking more on the music I actually liked more of Corruption's themes than I thought. I guess I'd actually rate it just a little below Prime. I felt Echoes had the weakest soundtrack. I think Echoes went just a little too far into the atmospheric sound, though the Maridia remix used for the sunken temple in Torvus Bog was very nice.

Hmm, speaking of enemies, I feel Echoes had the best over all enemy set. Nice variety and designs. I will say that though Corruption's enemy roster was lacking, it was nice that they got away from almost all of the enemies being insectiods.

Azure J

oracrest said:
the rezbit was definitely my favorite single moment in that game.

Samus runs Windows confirmed. :lol

Seriously, Santuary Fortress/Ing Hive should be nominated for best in-game locale ever.

Nearly everything about Elysia was fantastic, but the level design left something to be decided. I had to refer to my map way too many times purely because a lot of the rooms in the world seemed the same. Those damn elevator rooms. Ugh.

But as far as its aesthetic and atmosphere goes, Elysia is nearly unrivalled in gaming. An amazing achievement.

Mantorok

Does anyone find that even though Zelda & Metroid games utilise a similar mechanic (i.e. find upgrade, access new area, rinse, repeat) it has only really gotten old in the Zelda games. With the Prime series I never found this mechanic to feel old and over-used, it could be because the settings are more varied and it's in first-person.

I don't know, but if every other Metroid game employed this mechanic I wouldn't get bored of it, I think it must be the atmosphere and the larger sense of freedom.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
playing through MP3 some more now. i never did finish it....

my god the environments are AMAZING. retro's art team and level designers/builders are some of the best in the industry.

Mantorok

Scrow said:
my god the environments are AMAZING. retro's art team and level designers/builders are some of the best in the industry.

Indeed they are, I hope the Metroid games never stop and Retro continue making them, I'm pretty sure that this series may be the most atmospheric ever due to the art and design.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mantorok said:
Indeed they are, I hope the Metroid games never stop and Retro continue making them, I'm pretty sure that this series may be the most atmospheric ever due to the art and design.
i hope retro are working on something other than metroid.

would love to see what they could do with some fresh baked IP.

Azure J

Honestly, I really wanna see Retro divert themselves away from anything Metroid for now and create one or two new IPs just so I can see their unhindered creative talent. All in all, I <3 Retro and their art concepts.

Mantorok

Scrow said:
i hope retro are working on something other than metroid.

would love to see what they could do with some fresh baked IP.

Oh yeah that would be great, as long as the Metroids continue also.:D

Dever

Banned
So I need some advice on this game.
I'm currently supposed to get to the Space Pirate ship, from which I can enter Dark Samus's evil domain apparently. Thing is, I need the code. I know where the code is, but I'm missing one Energy Cell, which just so conveniently happens to be the last and hardest to get, the one on Bryyo which you get from inserting the big battery into the pumping station. I know I'm supposed to activate the bridge so I can move the battery with my ship, but there's debris blocking the way. How I get rid of debris?!?!
Really don't feel like scrolling through a FAQ for this small nibblet of information, so I'm asking you, GAF.

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question.

[Nintex]

Dever said:
I'm currently supposed to get to the Space Pirate ship, from which I can enter Dark Samus's evil domain apparently. Thing is, I need the code. I know where the code is, but I'm missing one Energy Cell, which just so conveniently happens to be the last and hardest to get, the one on Bryyo which you get from inserting the big battery into the pumping station. I know I'm supposed to activate the bridge so I can move the battery with my ship, but there's debris blocking the way. How I get rid of debris?!?!
Really don't feel like scrolling through a FAQ for this small nibblet of information, so I'm asking you, GAF.

Can't you bomb it with the ship missles?

Dever said:

Is that the debris you're supposed to
have your ship move with it's crane?

KevinCow

Banned
Dever said:

There's a big statue in the room with the debris. I believe the scan says it's missing its head or something. You need to find its head and bring it back with the ship.

I think the head is located through the red door in the room you're trying to bring the battery to. It's a room filled with fuel gel. You may have used the ice missiles to get a missile expansion at the top of it earlier.

Dever

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Can't you bomb it with the ship missles?

I don't think so... There's a ship missile upgrade inside a cage next to the debris though. Could it be just that I lack enough ship missile upgrades?

Dever

Banned
KevinCow said:
There's a big statue in the room with the debris. I believe the scan says it's missing its head or something. You need to find its head and bring it back with the ship.

I think the head is located through the red door in the room you're trying to bring the battery to. It's a room filled with fuel gel. You may have used the ice missiles to get a missile expansion at the top of it earlier.

Ah damn it, didn't see you could scan it earlier. Thanks a buch.

Just started my fourth runthrough today. Easily my favorite Wii game. I hope Retro really is working on something Metroid. I know I said I want something original but I'm hurting for Metroid now.

Ugh, I got to the point in the game where I had to backtrack for more cells and stopped playing. It's been about a month. I just hate back tracking, and Sky Town Elysia is annoying as shit.

I need to get my ass in gear, but since then I've beat Galaxy, Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey, so at least my backlog is clearing up a bit.

Nabster92

How do people get annoyed with backtracking in this game at ALL? You're only REQUIRED to get like 5 of the fuel cells provided you know where to use them(3 if you use a certain glitch) and one of them is right in front of Valhalla and I'm pretty sure at least 2 are required to move on in certain areas
I think one in that bunker area where you get ship missiles or something and another on the pirate homeworld
So there you have your 3 then you can use this glitch to fall and reset yourself where you need to go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_22_wnsNI&feature=related and bam you've foiled backtracking completely. That being said even if you don't wanna be lame and do that you can get map downloads from the elysia map room and have them give you little dots showing where EVERY item upgrade is. If you're complaining about backtracking in this game you were just looking for a reason to put it down.

KevinCow

Banned
ShadyMilkman said:
Ugh, I got to the point in the game where I had to backtrack for more cells and stopped playing. It's been about a month. I just hate back tracking, and Sky Town Elysia is annoying as shit.

I need to get my ass in gear, but since then I've beat Galaxy, Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey, so at least my backlog is clearing up a bit.
It sounds a lot worse than it is. There are two that are absolutely required to finish, and four others can be picked up as you play through the first time, and are pretty hard to miss. Only three of them require much backtracking, and you don't even need all nine to finish.

Also, if you've only just got the message
to visit the Valhalla
, you're not at the part where you need the energy cells yet. You don't need the energy cells until the very end of the game, but they decide to tell you about it well before that point.

Dever

Banned
ShadyMilkman said:

Yeah lately I've been pretty frustrated by this. I had bad luck though, I used all my Energy Cells on the optional stuff before finding out I actually needed some to progress in the game. Then I had to fetch the hardest one in the game and it is a pain in the ass... Got through it now though, thanks to KevinCow.

Some backtracking in the game is just odd, it's like the developers wanted to force in more backtracking than was necessary. Still a good game, beating it tomorrow probably.

Mantorok said:
Does anyone find that even though Zelda & Metroid games utilise a similar mechanic (i.e. find upgrade, access new area, rinse, repeat) it has only really gotten old in the Zelda games. With the Prime series I never found this mechanic to feel old and over-used, it could be because the settings are more varied and it's in first-person.

I don't know, but if every other Metroid game employed this mechanic I wouldn't get bored of it, I think it must be the atmosphere and the larger sense of freedom.

I think it's because the upgrade are much better integrated in Metroid. You don't have to stop the game and open a menu, you get a new ability that you use in a natural way. Also Ocarina of Time is ten years old, Metroid Prime is from 2002.

jrricky

Banned
Im almost done with the game now after havin it since launch, but it feels good to come back to it. Skytown left me in awe again. Before I go to the final stage im just runnin around tryin to collect the pickups so I can get 100% on the first playthrough lol. But its been a great ride thus far.:D

ShadyMilkman said:

You only need 5 cells (unless you want 100% like I did) and most of them must be picked up throughout the game anyway. There's little backtracking in Corruption compared to the other Prime games. I don't see what the problem is.

Avrum

So yeah, decided to play through the final area of the game again today and finally found the Metroid Prime exoskeleton people were mentioning earlier in this thread. Does make you wonder though, what happened to whatever left that exoskeleton behind.

kottila

i just spent almost hour beating Rundus on Veteran. Came into the battle with too little health, so I couldn't use hypermode. Close to giving up on the game, I decided to try again from my last savepoint and be very conservative about my health. 10 minutes later, he's dead!

Just got this game, IT'S SO SWEET!! Maybe it starts to lag a bit later on, but I don't get how this game wasn't getting even higher scores - so far I think it's hands down the best game in the Prime series, and the controls on advanced are totally revolutionary. Completely fulfills the promise of the Wiimote with this one game, imo.

I've read Retro's kinda done with Metroid, but I'd liek to see on of Nintendo's Japanese teams take a crack at a first person Metroid game. This control scheme just works too well not to get a sequel.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
kottila said:
i just spent almost hour beating Rundus on Veteran. Came into the battle with too little health, so I couldn't use hypermode. Close to giving up on the game, I decided to try again from my last savepoint and be very conservative about my health. 10 minutes later, he's dead!
heh, i did the exact same thing on hyper: entered the battle with very little health - less than a tank (low 90's or even less). all i have to say is that it was one epic battle. i wholeheartedly recommend that to all fans ; )

Tab0203

LiveFromKyoto said:
Just got this game, IT'S SO SWEET!! Maybe it starts to lag a bit later on, but I don't get how this game wasn't getting even higher scores - so far I think it's hands down the best game in the Prime series, and the controls on advanced are totally revolutionary. Completely fulfills the promise of the Wiimote with this one game, imo.

I've read Retro's kinda done with Metroid, but I'd liek to see on of Nintendo's Japanese teams take a crack at a first person Metroid game. This control scheme just works too well not to get a sequel.
Most reviewers suck. Also, just like all the uninformed casuals they don't mind crappy dual analog FPS controls. Thanks to sticky aiming and whatnot.

Only a sequel to MP3?
The control scheme works so well, developers (publishers) should stop making dual analog FPSs for PS360 and concentrate on Wii and PC. But that's just me.

Admittedly the game did come out just after Bioshock, and soon enough you had Halo 3, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Super Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty 4 and more releasing. It got lost in a barrage of major releases and as such was a bit overlooked.

I'm hoping that as time passes, people will give the game a replay and realise just how amazing it is. It's happened before and Corruption deserves it more than nearly any other.

SenseiJinx said:
Corruption didn't get a lot of attention from the media, but it sold really well, which makes me happy. I remember reading that it was beating out Bioshock in sales for a few weeks when they both had come out, which was surprising considering the hype train that Bioshock was on. It also got plenty of critical adulations.

Honestly, I loved Corruption but don't feel that it's the best in the series. It just felt too much like Metroid Lite to me. Still, a fantastic game and a worthy entry of one of gaming's best franchies.

I can understand this comment, as I felt similarly. Retro really streamlined things this time around, for both good and worse.

On the positive side, the pacing was impeccable. You always felt like you were in the right place at the right time, and there were very few of those 'plodding' moments that were found in Prime and Echoes in particular. In this sense it actually reminded me more of Super Metroid than the previous two Primes - Super was always very fast paced and dynamic, and Corruption was similar in this respect. This made Corruption was simpler, shorter game but it also heightened the joy of exploration, as well as just making it more 'fun' than the other two Prime games.

However, some things were too simplified. Items were often acquired far too easy - how many times was there a missile expansion or even an energy tank that was right in the open? In previous Metroids, expansions were often difficult to find, but in Corruption it all felt too simple. There were some awesome puzzles here and there, but it didn't reach the heights of previous games. This lack of difficulty was also reflected in the boss fights, which started off with a bang (Meta Ridley, Rundus, etc were fantastic) but ended with a whimper - Dark Samus and Aurora Unit 313 were pathetic for being the final bosses of the trilogy.

However, though Corruption was several faults that bring it down from true greatness, its still an amazing game, and like I said before, probably the most enjoyable of the 3 games, though it is not as perfectly crafted as the original Prime.

SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, I've got to give it to them for really honing the level design this time around. It's honestly better put together than the first two Prime games. I think my problem lay in the fact that I really, really enjoyed those "plodding" moments in Prime 1 and 2. Prime 3 always felt a bit too urgent, and the way you're paths are presented to you gives less of a sense of exploration than the first two. I've got to say that Prime 3 was an improvement in so many ways, but I missed that sense of just being lost in this huge world.

Yeah, I can relate to this. I too enjoyed those plodding moments in the first two Prime games. Well, actually, I found the enemy placement in Echoes to just slow down things too much at times, but for the most part, these periods of down-time allowed us to really explore and come to grips with the alien landscapes. I think these moments still existed in Prime 3, just to a lesser extent. I mean, think about the times you explored Bryyo Cliffside, or Skytown, for example. You would still feel lost in these worlds, it was just that the transition from 'objective' to 'objective' (and I use this term really loosely when talking about Metroid games) was much more streamlined in Corruption.

In Prime or Echoes, you would collect an important item, and then typically have to traverse a long distance, often crossing several different parts of the planet, just to use this item in order to progress. Whereas in Corruption, the area in which to use this item was often much closer, or at least reaching the desired area was much easier. In simple terms, backtracking was cut down significantly. Progression was much quicker, much less 'tedious' in Corruption.

I guess it depends on personal preference. In my view, Corruption achieved a very good balance between exploration and progression, almost akin to the standards Super Metroid set years ago. Prime and Echoes' approach was quite a lot different - there was a lot more down time, which sounds bad but was actually a very commendable element of both games, as it brought you really close to Tallon IV and Aether and allowed for a sense of exploration that Corruption arguably didn't match. As I said, it depends on what you want from your Metroid, really. I love both.

Azure J

Sorry for the thread bumpage, but after finally getting in a good intravenous dose of Corruption today, I have only one thing to say.

Omega Ridley = King of Boss Intros.

If anyone can .gif that scene for me, they would be my hero.

I think Corruption is sneaking up the ranks to become another Game of The Forever for me.:lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I forgot this game existed....

Prime 1 was one of the best games ever... I should pick this up.

Azure J

Random, but does anyone know the numbers as of now for how well this game did sales wise? Quality like this deserves recognition and I want to know how much it has gotten so far.

CTLance

AzureJericho said:
Random, but does anyone know the numbers as of now for how well this game did sales wise? Quality like this deserves recognition and I want to know how much it has gotten so far.
IIRC it sold more than Prime 2 but less than Prime 1 worldwide. Nothing great, but certainly not too shabby either.
_Alkaline_ said:
I think Nintendo released some PR to that effect, too. Can't find it though, so you'll need to trust Alkaline and me... and the search feature. I'm sure something will show up with the correct search terms.

farnham

Banned
man i bought the game day one and i still cant play it because im stucked in MP2 (sanctuary) :lol :lol MP2 is great btw... Id love to finish it sometime

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Decent game, not as good as Prime or Prime 2 but still very good. Having to fight a handful of (significant) bosses inside basically the same environment (the seeds) was annoying and really killed them (I guess Echoes just had bosses that were just too good, it spoilt me, the "end level" bosses were all incredibly unique and for lack of a better term, inspired). In hindsight that was the games biggest problem, simple, uninspired boss-fights in comparison to the brilliance that was Prime 2's and to a lesser extent Prime 1's. On the other hand, the environments were pretty good throughout although I reckon they were probably the weakest of the bunch as well.

Top Bottom