• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jrricky said:
There are many creative parts with the grapple which really impress me in the game. I just finished killing
Omega Ridley
and it was great. My brother was saying earlier that he is going to come back as a boss but I said Nah and then he pops up a few minutes after.:lol

He ALWAYS comes back

And so an amazing thread (and game) deservingly passes the 10,000 mark. :D

Farore said:
I was replaying the last planet yesterday.... amazing, beautiful... love the controls...

And I finally saw the Metroid Prime cocoon from Prime I, nice fan service :) ...

I still can't believe how many people overlooked that. I noticed it on my first playthrough.

Sent chills up my spine, it did.

Hey everybody, remember my Metroid Prime Trilogy Retrospective? Well, I'm writing for a game blog called 61FPS and my retrospective will be part of a week of Metroid (starting Monday) I'm posting at the site. Later in the week I'll be dedicating an article to the Art of Metroid Prime and speculation on the series future (or at least what I'd like to see). Even if you've already read my retrospective as it was posted here, the new version has some fun links included in it to Wikitroid, a great site for Metroid buffs.

Also a slightly unrelated question. I'm trying to compile a list of really good game sprite based flash animation movies. So far the list is pretty short. Does anyone have a favorite movie to suggest? Are there any good Metroid sprite movies?

Threi

notag
Hay another bump :D

Threi said:
Still the best game on the Wii.

I like the way you think handsome stranger
i4omc7.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, since I'm still playing the game despite having bought it day 1 (pal), is there a way to unlock the green stuff (i.e. the wiiconnect releated ones) now that I don't know anybody who's still playing the game and can help me?
'Cause I love the art and I'd be pissed missing on all those great unlockables :-/

Buggy Loop

_Alkaline_ said:
And so an amazing thread (and game) deservingly passes the 10,000 mark. :D

I still can't believe how many people overlooked that. I noticed it on my first playthrough.

Sent chills up my spine, it did.

Wait, what? Where's that cocoon?

Azure J

Due to just getting my Wii recently but having the game before hand (since launch :lol), hype was through the roof. Put it in and got to the Rundas battle... (<3 that fight theme btw)

This game fucking delivers. It's my Game of the Console.

I just recently finished my second run through the game on Veteran Mode. Veteran is so much more satisfying than Normal, especially the bosses. I don't remember being that impressed with the bosses, but this time through I thought they were much better.

I <3 Retro Studios.

I was looking through the concept art again and I had forgotten that they had some truly kickass ideas, that unfortunately didn't make it in the game. I'm talking especially of the other designs for dark Samus, which are plain badass.
Buggy Loop said:
Yea, it totally rocks, i'd put it as my #1 favorite wii game personally, above SMG (shock & awe)
I'm not sure if I'm ready to say that yet, but I'm damn tempted.

I was thinking,
why the hell didn't they have PED troopers guarding the bomb troopers at the end? Is it even possible to make them all survive, I've only had four.

Azure J

the way I see it:

Super Mario Galaxy - Game of the Forever
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption / Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Game of The Console

Game of The Forever > Game of The Console > GOTY > etc.

Buggy Loop said:
Wait, what? Where's that cocoon?

The last room before you fight Dark Samus, on Phaaze. It's in the same room where the Infant Leviathan lives. Use your scan visor and see for yourself! :)

AzureJericho said:
Due to just getting my Wii recently but having the game before hand (since launch ), hype was through the roof. Put it in and got to the Rundas battle... (<3 that fight theme btw)

This game fucking delivers. It's my Game of the Console.

<3

Dever

Banned
So I've been thinking about buying this. Should I, even though I haven't played the two prior games? Is the story that important? It's going for pretty cheap, too.

Dever said:
So I've been thinking about buying this. Should I, even though I haven't played the two prior games? Is the story that important? It's going for pretty cheap, too.

The story is kinda cool in its own right, but no, I wouldn't put off playing this just because you haven't played the first two. Would I recommend you play them though? Yes, mainly because they're both amazingly fantastic games.

Dever said:

You are going to miss a few story points, including who Dark Samus is and the backstory of Phazon, but it's nothing major. You could easily read a summary of the first two games if this is an important issue to you. But the most important thing is just for you to play this wonderful game. :D

That said, if it's possible, I really do recommend playing the other two games as well. It'll just help Corruption have a greater impact on you. Plus, they're both damn great games.

But yeah, if you just want to play Corruption, don't be worried about missing out on the first two. It's nothing critical. You'll understand nearly everything and you'll have a ton of fun.

legend166

Flunkie said:
Never played the Metroid Prime series before, but I just got this through Goozex. Can't wait to start playing.

Once you've finished Corruption, go back and play the original and Echoes. Amazing experiences.

AzureJericho said:
the way I see it:

Super Mario Galaxy - Game of the Forever
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption / Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Game of The Console

Game of The Forever > Game of The Console > GOTY > etc.

Definitely agreed. Now we need only Pikmin 3 and a revolutionary Zelda title.

Flunkie said:
Never played the Metroid Prime series before, but I just got this through Goozex. Can't wait to start playing.

The original metroid Prime will surprise you for the Soundtrack and the art design. The sense of freedom and dramaticity is also something out of this world. Definitely one of the best gaming experience of last generation, if not of all times.

Azure J

Crescendo170 said:
Fourth playthrough. Moogenar still sucks monkeydick.

This seems to be a recurring theme in all Corruption threads anywhere. I'm going to have fun screaming profanities at the screen again if it tops the Spider Ball Guardian from MP2. :lol

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Definitely agreed. Now we need only Pikmin 3, a revolutionary Zelda title and some reworked/retooled franchise sequels: Kid Icarus, Startropics, Kirby, Nazo no Murasamejou, Punch-Out.

Fixed and agreed. Nintendo's a virtual IP hut if they'd realize that we'd love to see entires in these games or just new possibilities/ideas from them a la Metroid Prime... But this here be a Corruption thread, so let me not derail.

AzureJericho said:
This seems to be a recurring theme in all Corruption threads anywhere. I'm going to have fun screaming profanities at the screen again if it tops the Spider Ball Guardian from MP2. :lol
When he (on hypermode) heals himself fully after 35 minutes of frantic finger-torturing A-pressing and laughs in your fucking face, you will see why.

Azure J

Case said:
ugh, the boss was a nightmare

Not as bad as the Boost Ball Guardian for a Prime n00b. :lol

Looking back on it MP2 was the pinnacle of boss battles, every last one of them was a test of skill and wit and boy did they deliver.

I love all of the bosses in Echoes. I found about half of them lacking in Corruption. Mogenar is the only boss I genuinely dislike, but only because he's rather boring (not to mention finger fatiguing and frustrating if your aim is off). After my third play-through of Corruption, I really did not find him hard and now I can take him down pretty fast. He's still not terribly interesting. Most of the bosses in Corruption were dull because the method to take them down was just "shoot lots". Quadraxis shames them all.

Oddly, I don't mind the "shoot lots" bosses in the 2-D games. None of them really had puzzle elements but they required mastery of Samus' maneuverability. You just don't get that in a first person game where dodging is pretty much limited to sidestepping and the occasional jump. Plus, none of the 3-D "shoot lots" bosses could hold a candle to the sheer in-your-face intimidation of 2-D equivalents like Ridley. So, I guess it's really not odd at all.

SenseiJinx said:
Anyway, I don't hate Mogenar. I'm glad that Retro didn't skimp on difficult bosses. I just, like others said, didn't really like the styles of the boss battles in Corruption quite as much.
Thing is that Mogenar ain't difficult at all. He is just unfair. When he does his healing-move on hypermode it's nearly impossible to stop him unless you have a lightning-fast trigger-finger and hit every single shot. He is fine on Veteran, but on Hyper they really fucked him up.

It doesn't help either that the music is among the worst in the series. Yuck!

jjasper

Case said:
wait, yea Boost Ball Guardian was the one I meant
Spider Ball G. was sort of annoying too, but not THAT bad

I beat Boost Ball the first time but Spider Ball made me quit the game the first I tried to play through it:lol

StranGER

beat the 1st, stopped echos before finishing it years ago.

been considering getting this lately.

though without finishing the end of echos i'm wondering if i will be missing a story element or if i prob will have the majority enough to jump right in.

hear it's pretty good. so this or Okami is my choice for the upcoming month.

Dever

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
You are going to miss a few story points, including who Dark Samus is and the backstory of Phazon, but it's nothing major. You could easily read a summary of the first two games if this is an important issue to you. But the most important thing is just for you to play this wonderful game. :D

That said, if it's possible, I really do recommend playing the other two games as well. It'll just help Corruption have a greater impact on you. Plus, they're both damn great games.

But yeah, if you just want to play Corruption, don't be worried about missing out on the first two. It's nothing critical. You'll understand nearly everything and you'll have a ton of fun.

Alright, thanks a bunch. Guess I'll go pick it up sometime. Perhaps today!

After playing through Corruption three times I really hope there is a chance Retro tackles another Metroid game. I don't care if it's a small mission pack on WiiWare or whatever. But something.

Azure J

DragonGirl & SenseiJinx :bow

Quadraxis was such a triumph of boss battles in Echoes and probably of last gen. It's only tied with Emperor Ing (both Forms) and Dark Samus 2 (Loved the atmosphere for it, fighting up an elevator shaft until you reach the Aerie and all hell breaks loose like western films meet Outlaw Star :lol )

Also, Crescendo, agreed on Mogenar's theme. Whille it's not terrible, it's just not suited for that instance of game. I think music wise in the three games, that was Retro's only misfire, their sound team is godly otherwise.

SenseiJinx said:
I was actually disappointed by the music in general in Corruption. There was some good stuff there, but it was generally way to subtle for its own good. I miss Prime 1's score. :( I still hum the themes from that game, and I haven't played it in years.

I pretty much agree with this, however I also felt Corruption had some real standouts. Rundas' themes remain my favorites of the Prime series. Still, I feel nothing holds a candle to Super Metroid's soundtrack. I've always considered it one of the most well crafted soundtracks to be found in a video game and I hold that opinion to this very day. It's not just that the music is well composed, but it is such a part of each area, enhancing the moods of the environments that any change would drastically alter the feel of the entire game. And yet, the soundtrack isn't so atmospheric that it's tied to the visuals of the game. What I mean is the sound track to Super Metroid manages to stand alone and still be a fantastic listen.

I thought MP3's soundtrack was one of the better Metroid soundtracks... the
Omega Ridley boss track is fucking awesome because it's like a slower, more epic remix of Ridley's theme which suits the final Ridley battle of the trilogy.

Plus, the Homeworld music... oh yeah baby.

But the best IMO is SkyTown. One of the most beautifully elegant pieces of music I've heard in a videogame.

SenseiJinx said:
Nothing beats the Phendrana Drifts or Crashed Frigate themes as far as I'm concerned. Get chills just thinking about them.
So true. That, along with the "Hive Mecha"-theme must be the most underrated in the game. I actually remember doing a rock-version of the Mecha-battle theme a long time ago before my HDD went to shit. Sound-quality was shit but god damn if it didn't rock!

SenseiJinx said:
My main complaint is with the synthesized vocals. I know that the composer stated that the synthesized feel of the music is a stylistic choice, but the vocals sound pretty bad...
I don't know, that sounds kinda like a bullshit-reason to me. It makes sense for the first two games, but Corruption is supposed to be the big, cinematic finale to one of the best videogame-series ever. They even said in interviews that they were going for a more epic-sounding soundtrack with the game and what better way to make an epic sounding soundtrack than to mix real orchestras and choirs with the synthesized Prime-style? That's right; there is no better way.

No, I think it was purely an economical decision. Nintendo don't like to spend money on that kind of thing.

I agree that the soundtrack wasn't up to the original Prime's score, but it was still great. Bryyo Cliffside's tribal music was fantastic, Skytown was just beautiful and perfectly suited that 'heavenly' feeling of walking above the clouds, the Norion theme when the leviathan is about to hit was really good as getting your bloom pumping, and there was some really good remixes to, like the cockpit theme as well as Pirate Homeworld. And some of the boss themes were just ace, like Gandrayda and Rundus.

Doesn't come to close to Super Metroid of course, but it's still a very solid soundtrack in my opinion.

camineet

Banned
Almost a year after release, still less than 60% complete, still have yet to defeat Gandrayda.

I love savoring games. I have yet to finish Metroid Prime or MP2 Echoes also. One day I'll get around to finishing all of them, but why hurry since there prolly won't be another mainline console Metroid until next-gen.

camineet said:
Almost a year after release, still less than 60% complete, still have yet to defeat Gandrayda.

I love savoring games. I have yet to finish Metroid Prime or MP2 Echoes also. One day I'll get around to finishing all of them, but why hurry since there prolly won't be another mainline console Metroid until next-gen.

I could never do this. I became obsessed with Corruption (and Prime/Echoes for that matter) and played it with any free time that I had.

That's not to say I didn't take my time either - I played Prime for 25 hours, Echoes for 27, and Corruption for 23. I love exploring every nook and cranny in Metroid and taking it all in.

The Metroid containment theme (on Elysia) was amazing. Never has a game built tension so well.

Oh yeah, definitely. I loved how
the first moment you enter the containment lab's entrance, a space pirate disintergrates right into front of your face (as homage to Super Metroid). It came out of nowhere and you immediately feel a sense of absolute dread.

Sagitario

Except for the music and atmosphere, I didn't like Elysia... the level design there wasn't very good...

BTW... Rundas theme = best boss battle music from any Metroid game for me...

And... Am I the only one who didn't have any problems beating the Boost Guardian? I've killed him several times without major problems...

Top Bottom