• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Federation Force rated T for Teen by ESRB: "cries of pain"

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
A friendly reminder that the top screen of Nintendo 3DS has the resolution of 400x240 pixels. For comparison, PSP had a 480x272 screen.

It's honestly pointless to look at the 3DS screenshots and videos on a computer monitor, especially if they were stretched to insanity.

Looking at screens on my NN3DS XL and the game looks fucking terrible.

MPFF-Gameplay.jpg

Both art design, and on a technical level.

I just can't reconcile the fact that a gaming system that could run Metroid Prime 1-2 with a little graphical sacrifice, is somehow getting a game that looks like this instead.

MP1-600x403.jpg

No one expects it to look like Killzone Mercenary, but common.

Berordn

I'm even more confused as to who this is being marketed towards now. I think we've ruled out children and Metroid fans so far

It's almost like it's being marketed toward the 3DS itself to cover the fact that the NX platform got delayed.

vaderise

I didn't have any hate for this game.I don't know how but GAF made me hate this game.
So fuck this game.
I haven't even played a Metroid game before.

Forget that it's Metroid themed for a moment. Forget that it's an FPS on a system on which most people don't have a right stick too. If TriForce Heroes is anything to go by, Nintendo has to step up their 3DS online game for this to even work and I don't see them doing that.

Ricky 7

Looks decent to play with others. It's not even supposed to be a proper Metroid game, just a spin off. So it gets unnecessary hate. I know the story somehow fits into the actual timeline but so does Triforce Heroes for the Zelda time line.

KingBroly

Banned
Looks decent to play with others. It's not even supposed to be a proper Metroid game, just a spin off. So it gets unnecessary hate. I know the story somehow fits into the actual timeline but so does Triforce Heroes for the Zelda time line.

Going by Tanabe's interviews, he probably would've called it Metroid Prime 4 if he thought he could get away with it.

RPGCrazied

Spin off you say? Why does it have Prime in the title then?

zooL

Luckily DOOM scratches a lot of my Metroid Prime-itches with its similar weighty controls and looking for secrets. Never would have thought that. Makes one wonder, how real new Metroid Prime could feel in the current generation...

Spin off you say? Why does it have Prime in the title then?

I wonder how much better the game would be received it it was called "Metroid Blast: Federation Force" and was presented as a follow-up to Metroid Blast minigame from Nintendo Land. (Which it currently is IMO.)

Speaking of "why does it have Prime":

MPP.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who currently has a copy of Hunters coming via mail, I'll say bring on the cries! Even though this doesn't look similar to the Prime trilogy (which was excellent), I'm still eager to try it.

Just saying, why not make 4 instead?

To be completely honest, I don't know if I want a new mainline entry from Nintendo anymore. I'm not sure they'd have any idea what to do with the series these days.

I'd be perfectly happy with an HD re-release of the Prime Trilogy on NX or heck, a nice compilation of the entire franchise on one disc.

udivision

What if the game comes out, some people take a chance on it and it actually ends up being ok.

I wouldn't want to be in a position where Triforce Heroes was the first new zelda game in a generation, with no hints of there ever being a Zelda Wii U. Triforce Heroes could still be a good game... but... I'd still want to know if Zelda Wii U was ever going to happen.

KingBroly

Banned
Because they didn't want to? Who knows.

They legitimately thought Metroid fans would go ga-ga over it. You could see it in the last Nintendo Direct. They were like 'you guys clearly don't hate this. You're just confused. Yeah, that's it, confused! Well be confused no more! This game started as a DSi Ware title!'

They shut off the number of likes/dislikes for that trailer, too. The only time they've EVER done it. It shows you they know how much they fucked up.

Kindekuma

Banned
Metroid as a series has devolved into a cry of pain.

I've finished every Metroid in existence, but I will not be buying Federation Force.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people assume it's good without playing it?
Because they aren't cynical assholes? I don't know, it's fine if it doesn't appeal to you, but I don't see the point of shitting on the game in every thread about it. I mean, if that's what you wanna do then by all means go ahead and do it, but I think this reaction is a bit exaggerated.

They legitimately thought Metroid fans would go ga-ga over it. You could see it in the last Nintendo Direct. They were like 'you guys clearly don't hate this. You're just confused. Yeah, that's it, confused! Well be confused no more! This game started as a DSi Ware title!'

They shut off the number of likes/dislikes for that trailer, too. The only time they've EVER done it. It shows you they know how much they fucked up.

And what do you think they should have done instead of making that interview? It's a lose-lose situation for Nintendo at this point regarding PR. At least they have explained some aspects of co-op - it certainly doesn't look as dull as I supposed initially.

Disabling the like bar is kinda childish, I agree with you on that.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Halo isn't M anymore

Well no, but the 6 games before it were, so the point still stands. How did those get Mature, Uncharted or or any number of other fairly intense games get rated teen, and this silly ass game get the same rating.

There is no consistency.

Berordn

Seems to be working well!

I mean, the internet hasn't had this much to say about Metroid in a while!

They're almost definitely caught off guard by this, but after their recent attempts to try and quell fears about the game I just think Nintendo PR doesn't know how to handle criticism.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Haters gonna hate. Gonna be picking this up shortly after release.

Why do people assume it's good without playing it?

The same reason people assume it's bad without playing it, I guess.

Also Next Level Games has quite the track record in their collaborations with Nintendo.

KingBroly

Banned
And what do you think they should have done instead of making that interview? It's a lose-lose situation for Nintendo at this point regarding PR. At least they have explained some aspects of co-op - it certainly doesn't look as dull as I supposed initially.

Disabling the like bar is kinda childish, I agree with you on that.

They should not have gone along with the 'this is fine' mentality. There was NOTHING in that video that did the game any favors. Saying 'oh, it started as a DSi Ware game' made people think 'well at least we know why it looks like a DS game now.' And then they said 'only with NEW 3DS could we make this.' And people again retorted 'so why isn't it N3DS exclusive?' And so on. Anyone with a brain could've picked that video apart in seconds but they chose to think it was fine.

Well no, but the 6 games before it were, so the point still stands. How did those get Mature, Uncharted or or any number of other fairly intense games get rated teen, and this silly ass game get the same rating.

There is no consistency.

It's the same thing as hiding weapons being pointed on people and avoiding on-screen killings in action movies to lower the age ratings. It's all about specific details and the art of hiding such details behind the general spectacle.

nynt9

Because they aren't cynical assholes? I don't know, it's fine if it doesn't appeal to you, but I don't see the point of shitting on the game in every thread about it. I mean, if that's what you wanna do then by all means go ahead and do it, but I think this reaction is a bit exaggerated.

Name calling people who think a lame looking video game looks lame is surely a great way to get your point across.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Cynical assholes? That makes the rest lubricated assholes who'll easily take just about anything.

Top Bottom