• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGO3 Delayed to Oct. 6th (consoles), January 2016 (PC)

Ame

This better not turn into another GTAV online type launch of the multiplayer.

I was planning to finish the story before touching MGO as is the first order of business when it comes to MGS. I just hope the Oct 6th launch goes smoothly.

sucks but it could be worse, at least they won't be (hopefully not anyway) releasing an inferior version of the game on pc like they do with their other franchise Pro Evo

pahamrick

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the January Delay for the PC version is to see how well it sells to determine if it's worth it for them to even release MGO for PC.

The pragmatist thinks it has to do with varying circumstances, including dealing with PC cheaters.

Forkball

Remember when games were supposed to come out in 2015? Truly a golden age of hype.

Does this include the online mother base aspects, or just the team based gameplay?

demisec

Pretty happy with this - wasn't looking forward to play it on ps3 first in order to avoid the wave of spoilers, but I might play MGO3 on it if it's any good.

SomTervo

Yes every post you don't personally agree with is a joke post. Both of your claims are pointless as the game isn't even out so you must be basing them purely off marketing content.

This game seems to be blatantly unlike the old MGS games, which were focused, high quality experiences in every way. I can only assume this apparent massive amount of content is mainly open world filler. I think it's very unlikely the actual core of the game that could be directly compared to the older games will be longer than any of them. That's usually how it goes for these things. Have to spend time and resources on crafting an open world experience then you have less time and resources to focus on what will be the core game. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Kojima and company to supplant this stereotype, but seeing as how the multiplayer can't be ready at launch in any capacity, then call me crazy, but it doesn't instill confidence in me about the rest of the game.

I believe I won't be paying full price for a blatantly unfinished game. I believe that the series has been bad since MGS4 so for me it's very unlikely that the main story will be worth it. The best thing I think this game can be is a fun sandbox game. That in and of itself is a weird thing to try to put value on. So no I don't think it will be worth $60, especially now.

How's the rock treating you mate? You've been living under it for, what, a year now? Or is it six years, since MGS4 came out?

Have you read any of the previews by journalists? Journalists who are free press, and, bar some key story/scene spoilers, gave independent reportage and perspectives on the first 15-18 hours of MGSV?

They reported not even being half way through the story (let alone all the content, side missions, extras, etc) after c. 17 hours. They reported an incredibly fleshed out, detailed, high quality, and fun experience. Yes, it's a lateral move in gameplay from previous MGS games which were very tightly set and scripted, but many of them said it's more Metal Gear than MGS4 ever was.

We also had Ground Zeroes, so we know how good the gameplay and level of detail is – although yes, you can argue Ground Zeroes was an 'incomplete' game. The same almost certainly won't go for Phantom Pain, based on what the journalists said, and also on what Kojima has said (that he's sincerely worried the game is too long and most players won't finish it, and that it's roughly 200x the size of Ground Zeroes).

MGS is and always has been a singleplayer product first and foremost. MGO has always been an optional side package given for free, support and developed separately from the mainline game.

Anyway, yeah, the rock isn't too mossy is it?

[Edit: I feel the same about MGS4, I really, really, intensely dislike it, but based on everything we know about MGSV, I genuinely believe it is not going to fall into the same hole. Frankly, Ground Zeroes had more gameplay in it than MGS4. It had less content, but there was so much more gameplay, in a pure sense. If The Phantom Pain carries that pattern as a full-fledged title, well then... There will be no problem. Not to mention Kojima and independent journalists have noted MGSV is very light on cutscenes – which were 95% of the reason MGS4 was an utterly flawed experience.]
My understanding from this is limited. But as far as I know, game engines are built for specific API, the architecture only effects coding language, so an engine running on PS4's API would still need to be ported to DirectX. PS4's API is very "low level", so besides porting the engine, it needs to be re-optimized for DirectX. The Xbone One version of the engine probably uses the esRAM configuration, so porting the engine from Xbox One won't be any easier, even if Xbox One uses a custom-DirectX.

That's second hand information I read on some tech sites, so I could be wrong and misremembering a few things.

Yeah, I'm on board with all of that (as approximation). I guess I'm just laying down that the architecture specifically isn't the problem.

Meltsi

Neo Member
TxfKJjJ.gif]

Hope those servers will hold...

Top Bottom