• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGO3 Delayed to Oct. 6th (consoles), January 2016 (PC)

Alo0oy

Banned
I though these new console that had similar architecture to PC's was supposed to eliminate this BS!!!??

That's a myth, those consoles use PC architecture, but they don't use PC's DirectX API, the PS4 uses a custom API, while Xbox One if I'm not mistaken uses a modified version of DirectX.

Auctopus

I don't mind too much, I'll be playing the SP. Hopefully, it's unrelated to Kojima stuff and they're just tightening the game/servers up.

Sucks hard for PC users though.

MMaRsu

Banned
At the end of the day, I care way more about the base game. I'll check out MGO in January after a long break. Just so glad it's getting a simultaneous release.

lQbBeRY.gif

Hahaha omg this gif is amazing

I'm not sure why you would even post that you don't care about the online component in a game in a topic predominantly about it

The topic is about the delay of the online component, not MGO itself. "I don't care about the delay" is, I feel, a perfectly valid opinion.

SomTervo

That's a myth, those consoles use PC architecture, but they don't use PC's DirectX API, the PS4 uses a custom API, while Xbox One if I'm not mistaken uses a modified version of DirectX.

Doesn't that mean that it's not a myth? I.e. they do have PC architecture.

They just don't have the API.

Hahaha omg this gif is amazing

It's his weirdly fleshy thumb that gets me every time.

Nzyme32

I though these new console that had similar architecture to PC's was supposed to eliminate this BS!!!??

Not sure what the tantrum is for. It's hardly an earth shattering delay considering it is the online component. It's a shame sure, but having TPP release at the same time as everything else should at least tide over some people, and having an actual functional experience not marred with issues will be far better for me at least.

Rather than they hyperbole of similar architectures meaning everything releases at the same time some how, it is more likely a difference in the two studios work loads and whatever is going on internally. Last it was mentioned, KojiPro in Japan was doing the PC version of GZ / TPP while KojiPro LA were doing MGO mostly.

BibiMaghoo

The cynic in me says this is staggered console side on purpose to keep the games out of used stores longer. It seemed to work nicely for GTAV.

realcZk

Maybe they're looking into some anti-cheat partnerships for the PC version? There's a lot more you have to worry about when bringing online games to PC since it's an open platform. The game will be hacked to pieces and your online experience destroyed on day one without some control.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i'm actually glad that konami appears to be taking MGO seriously enough to delay it for quality reasons.

erawsd

But the Forward Operating Bases stuff is part of the single player and not MGO, maybe we'll find out on the 5th with the new trailer.

I doubt that matters . AFAIK, PS+ is required for any type of multiplayer content that requires interaction. So you won't be able to attack a friends base.

Pics_nao

Wasn't expecting much considering we haven't heard a damn thing other than it exists. Give me more time to spend on SP anyway.

A delay that long is strange, which makes you hope they're actually adding in PC-specific features like (please Konami if anything just give us) dedicate servers, or more steam-centric features. Though I can't imagine how stuff like workshop support would work unless we're getting the map editor... or weapon skins :p

If the console MGO launch goes smoothly, I can only hope that the PC launch is as well. Or, worst case, we (maybe) get a nice, semi-bug-free MGO :D

Maybe they're looking into some anti-cheat partnerships for the PC version?

Good point, though one would hope they'd have something like that locked down already. But if that is the cause of the delay then I wouldn't mind too much

Grief.exe

A delay that long is strange, which makes you hope they're actually adding in PC-specific features like (please Konami if anything just give us) dedicate servers, or more steam-centric features. Though I can't imagine how stuff like workshop support would work unless we're getting the map editor... or weapon skins :p

If the console MGO launch goes smoothly, I can only hope that the PC launch is as well. Or, worst case, we (maybe) get a nice, semi-bug-free MGO :D

Steamworks integration would mean Valve will handle the matchmaking and connection back-end, Konami would need to provide the servers.

so basically MGO will be playable by the time it comes out for PC then I take it? I guess I cant get too mad, I got the game for free with my 980ti.

Alo0oy

Banned
Doesn't that mean that it's not a myth? I.e. they do have PC architecture.

They just don't have the API.

My understanding from this is limited. But as far as I know, game engines are built for specific API, the architecture only effects coding language, so an engine running on PS4's API would still need to be ported to DirectX. PS4's API is very "low level", so besides porting the engine, it needs to be re-optimized for DirectX. The Xbone One version of the engine probably uses the esRAM configuration, so porting the engine from Xbox One won't be any easier, even if Xbox One uses a custom-DirectX.

That's second hand information I read on some tech sites, so I could be wrong and misremembering a few things.

Grief.exe

October? That's not too-JANUARY WHAT THE FUCK!!!?????

The initial PC release date, two weeks? Not a big deal, I have literally infinite games in my backlog.

MGO release pushed back to October? I'll play through the single player campaign a couple times and be ready for that.

But January? That's a long time to wait.

I guess I would prefer this situation over attempting to dodge spoilers until that point. The other advantage is late adopters or those interested in only MGO will have a Winter sale between MGSV's initial release and MGO's release.

-Deimos

The initial PC release date, two weeks? Not a big deal, I have literally infinite games in my backlog.

MGO release pushed back to October? I'll play through the single player campaign a couple times and be ready for that.

But January? That's a long time to wait.

I guess I would prefer this situation over attempting to dodge spoilers until that point. The other advantage is late adopters or those interested in only MGO will have a Winter sale between MGSV's initial release and MGO's release.

Agreed, two weeks would have been perfect and October would have been fine as well, but January is just ridiculous. It also tells us that the PC version still has major issues to iron out and that they probably knew about this for a while. I guess the MGO naysayers were right about the state of the game and I wish Konami had been more honest about it in the past.

Enthus

I was kind of banking on the two extra weeks to beat the rest of the Legacy Collection, guess I gotta speed it up now.

Steamworks integration would mean Valve will handle the matchmaking and connection back-end, Konami would need to provide the servers.

A cynical person would think that Konami might hold it back so people would have moved on from MGSV and there wouldn't be as many servers required, therefore lowering the costs.

But that would be insane.....right?

Mifec

A cynical person would think that Konami might hold it back so people would have moved on from MGSV and there wouldn't be as many servers required, therefore lowering the costs.

But that would be insane.....right?

Servers are not that expensive in 2015, would easily be cleared with all the cosmetic DLC MGO will include.

Top Bottom