• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS collection on “latest platforms” and “minimal changes”

93xfan

Banned

Been wondering about this. Was worried it would be exclusive as Xbox already had the HD remasters and was thinking MGS1 and VR Missions may just be a download of the emulated PS1 classics.

They’ve stated about minimal changes. Hoping we don’t lose “The Best is Yet To Come.” That would be tragic.

AREYOUOKAY?

Minimal changes mean there's pachinko mini-games included.
Is that gonna Ocelots new method of torture?

Oh well it’s upsetting that this will most likely stay PlayStation exclusive. The last time you could play Metal Gear Solid 1 officially with a portable console was the Vita and it wasn’t a great experience unless you bought L2 and R2 buttons.

Last edited:
Hopefully MGS1 is based on the Twin Snakes version
The image for it they’re using is promo art for OG MGS1, so I’d say it’s unlikely. Though I would prefer TS to be included as well. Maybe in Vol. 2? Probably not though because their might be issue since several different companies had their hands on that game development wise.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Minimal changes" to me, sound like sensitivity reader changes for the sissies out there that would get triggered at some of those codec conversations.

Minimal changes mean there's pachinko mini-games included.

The minimal changes will be removing some of the real world archive footage. The licenses for them ran out and that's why the HD Collection was de-listed from every platform and storefront a couple of years ago.

It's based on the PSX one, we already know that from the collection's official website.

Thabass

"Minimal changes" to me, sound like sensitivity reader changes for the sissies out there that would get triggered at some of those codec conversations.
It's also probably due to the live footage shots that they would sometimes use in the mission briefing and cutscenes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FYI. This is the context for those minimal changes.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 have been removed from digital stores due to licensing issues with their usage of historical footage.

Konami has released a statement that explains the details.

"Thank you for playing the Metal Gear series," it reads. "We are currently working on renewing the licenses for select historical archive footage used in-game, therefore, we have made the temporary decision to begin suspending the sale of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and all products that include these games from digital storefronts globally starting from 8th November 2021.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Ice Cube Shut Up GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

Let's be honest, we PC gamers have been starved for some good MGS action on PC. The closest we got was MGSV and that horrible Survive. I don't expect these to be thorough and well-crafted ports, but I'd take them over nothing, even if they're broken lol.

Deerock71

Wasn't there some issue about the NYC footage and Stock Lab footage from MGS2 and 3 that expired a few years back which caused them to pull MGS2 and 3 HD from stores? Maybe the changes are related to that.
Is THAT why I've never been able to pick them up? 😡

DAHGAMING

Gold Member

New codec chat, Snake banging on about "its okay to not be okay" die your hair pink and blue and confuse your kids by not giving them a gender.

Forsythia

I want more publishers to do this. Give me the classis Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Tomb Raider games and I'm good to go.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
What's wrong with Twin Snakes

+ Better voice acting performances
+ Better graphics
+ Improved cutscenes

Only downside is the music changes. and no vr missions.

I want more publishers to do this. Give me the classis Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Tomb Raider games and I'm good to go.
I always thought Capcom could make a classic Resident Evil collection extra special and marketable by finishing Resident Evil 1.5, sprucing it up, and marketing it as a “new” classic Resident Evil. Call it Resident Evil 2 alternate or something.

93xfan

Banned
What's wrong with Twin Snakes

+ Better voice acting performances
+ Better graphics
+ Improved cutscenes

Only downside is the music changes. and no vr missions.
Better cutscenes? So snake jumping off of a moving missile that was shot at him by a helicopter is a good cutscene to you?

Or him back flipping onto a sniper rifle that pops it up in the air and then doing a 360 spin and landing a perfect shot was cooler?

With the skills that he had in TTS, he wasn’t just overpowered, he was better than everyone else at everything. I’m not saying no parts they added were cool, but overall they really really overdid it.

dotnotbot

Guys, "minimal edits" clearly refers to the archival historical footage that was the reason the games got delisted on older consoles. It's not gonna be "woke" nor miss any music, don't worry.

NM0abIF.png

It’s more the music I’m bothered about, remember the MGS theme was kinda plagiarized

It's clearly plagiarized (not only the melody itself is similar but harmonies are almost identical first and foremost) but it's plagiarizm of a classical music piece from 1935 so I doubt it's protected in the same way as some modern songs. I'm pretty sure they can't get sued. HD Collection wasn't delisted nor its music altered because of that so it must be safe.

Last edited:
We are talking about Konami here. I will say that it will be most likely the PS versions of the game emulated on all platforms, with the archive footage removed and that's it. No other changes. Oh and $60.

Maybe if you are lucky the emulator will run at 60 fps + filtering.

Last edited:

ToadMan

We are talking about Konami here. I will say that it will be most likely the PS versions of the game emulated on all platforms, with the archive footage removed and that's it. No other changes. Oh and $60.

Maybe if you are lucky the emulator will run at 60 fps + filtering.

Agree. The way it’s been handled these last 2 days, it looks like a phoned in port job of the HD collection, and god knows what Snake Eater Delta will be like.

The whole thing has a feeling of being a rushed last moment decision to announce something.

Top Bottom