• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS collection on “latest platforms” and “minimal changes”

Don't give them any ideas.
giphy.gif

Muffdraul

I'm cool with minimal changes. But only if one of them is Bluepoint at least including the option to use the original button layout from the OG games. Yeah I get it, I know, they swapped O and X in the HD remasters because players outside Japan are used it. But some of us liked it the way it was. Including the option wouldn't fucking kill them.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Better cutscenes? So snake jumping off of a moving missile that was shot at him by a helicopter is a good cutscene to you?

Or him back flipping onto a sniper rifle that pops it up in the air and then doing a 360 spin and landing a perfect shot was cooler?

With the skills that he had in TTS, he wasn’t just overpowered, he was better than everyone else at everything. I’m not saying no parts they added were cool, but overall they really really overdid it.
I didn't say better cutscenes. But that said, while those things are goofy, they're not that out of place for the series as a whole.

93xfan

Banned
I didn't say better cutscenes. But that said, while those things are goofy, they're not that out of place for the series as a whole.
They are when you consider characters.

Only Gray Fox and Cyborg Raider could maybe pull off a quarter of what was done by Snake in TTS.

Snake is a regular human, and while he’s a badass, the impossible things he does in TTS makes Michael Bay worst movies look tame.

He should’ve killed every bad guy by sniping while wall running throughout Shadow Moses.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

93xfan

Banned
So glad it’s the PS1 version. Hopes it’s the Integral version with the extra costumes for Snake and Meryl

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Nintendo straight up owns TS's code, so not happening except if there's a Switch version.

PS There better fucking be a Switch version.
Does Nintendo really own the code? The game was published by Konami and the copyright notice does not allude to Nintendo owning any part of it.

Not trying to be snarky. I’m genuinely curious.

MAtgS

Does Nintendo really own the code? The game was published by Konami and the copyright notice does not allude to Nintendo owning any part of it.

It's like Bayonetta 2+3 they got their fingers wrapped around it. Otherwise Konami would've put it in the last HD collection.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Its probably a mess because Silicon Knights also went under in a blaze of fire and lawsuits, then you have Konami, Nintendo and whatever copyrighted materials are in the game.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
They probably outsourced the remake to some random studio in Poland like they did with all those SH titles. If it was BluePoint, it would have been shouted from the top of the rooftops.
It’s already been confirmed that’s it’s the Bluepoint versions from the xbox 360/ps3 he collection

It’s already been confirmed that’s it’s the Bluepoint versions from the xbox 360/ps3 he collection
Oh you are talking about the collection. I was thinking about MGS 3 remake. The collection is obviously just a lazy port, I hope people realize that. We aint getting some crazy remaster except that it will be playable on current gen.

Some people disagree, but I really liked the outlandish accents that Mei Ling and Naomi had in MGS1. It was charming, not offensive.

Also one of the best VA performances ever is Gray Fox in MGS1. "Hurt me more!!!"

Gojiira

The image for it they’re using is promo art for OG MGS1, so I’d say it’s unlikely. Though I would prefer TS to be included as well. Maybe in Vol. 2? Probably not though because their might be issue since several different companies had their hands on that game development wise.
Eww gtfo, TS was garbage of the highest caliber. OG MGS1 or nothing…

Reactions: RNG

DaGwaphics

I enjoyed MGS 2 on the OG Xbox. I might have to give this a look. Never played 1 or 3. Still have 5 in the old backlog.

Larxia

Real question, why do people hate Twin Snakes so much?
I know it has some goofy backflip cutscenes and such that people aren't fan of, but is that just that?

I played it a while ago now but I remember finding it a lot more enjoyable to play than the original. The controls are smoother, it looks a lot better, there are several quality of life / features added from MGS2, I don't really see what's so bad about it :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I know it has some goofy backflip cutscenes and such that people aren't fan of, but is that just that?

I played it a while ago now but I remember finding it a lot more enjoyable to play than the original. The controls are smoother, it looks a lot better, there are several quality of life / features added from MGS2, I don't really see what's so bad about it :pie_thinking:

It wasn't released on a playstation platform ;)

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Let's be honest, we PC gamers have been starved for some good MGS action on PC. The closest we got was MGSV and that horrible Survive. I don't expect these to be thorough and well-crafted ports, but I'd take them over nothing, even if they're broken lol.
I think they're ps5 only

Eww gtfo, TS was garbage of the highest caliber. OG MGS1 or nothing…
I mean I was saying having both OG and TS would be nice. Not TS instead of OG. Pretty sure TS is wicked expensive to get a physical copy of, so having an official HD port would at least be nice for those who haven’t tried it but want to.

I mean I like it, but I can understand if someone prefers the original (as someone who prefers OG RE4 over REm4ke still).

Most people seem to criticize the fact that the added MGS2 mechanics make some bosses easier. Fair enough, but it doesn’t bother me that much.

The other major criticism seems to be that the cutscenes are over exaggerated versions of the original; having Snake doing things more ridiculously/outlandishly. For example, at one point he jumps off a missle in mid air and throws a grenade at another when fighting Liquid in the Hind D.

Which is fucking stupid, but from MGS2 onward there’s a lot of stupid/ridiculous shit that makes just as little sense that happens. Like especially in MGS4. That whole game is like that. The whole series has ridiculous nonsense in it (and that’s part of its charm), so I don’t think Twin Snakes stands out that much in that regard.

Also some people prefer the voice acting in the original. Again fair enough, but a character like Mei Ling’s voice in MGS4 (for instance) is carried over from Twin Snakes and not the original. So some things from TS Kojima obviously preferred.

I think some more people would warm up to it if it were more accessible in such an HD collection.

Also I’ll add the disclaimer that I may have some nostalgia for Twin Snakes, since admittedly it was my first MGS game. As a kid after seeing Snake was going to be in Smash Bros Brawl, and since I only had a GameCube, I played it first. I’m sure some people will scoff at that but it got me into the series. Love me some MGS.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I mean I like it, but I can understand if someone prefers the original (as someone who prefers OG RE4 over REm4ke still).

Most people seem to criticize the fact that the added MGS2 mechanics make some bosses easier. Fair enough, but it doesn’t bother me that much.

The other major criticism seems to be that the cutscenes are over exaggerated versions of the original; having Snake doing things more ridiculously/outlandishly. For example, at one point he jumps off a missle in mid air and throws a grenade at another when fighting Liquid in the Hind D.

Which is fucking stupid, but from MGS2 onward there’s a lot of stupid/ridiculous shit that makes just as little sense that happens. Like especially in MGS4. That whole game is like that. The whole series has ridiculous nonsense in it (and that’s part of its charm), so I don’t think Twin Snakes stands out that much in that regard.

Also some people prefer the voice acting in the original. Again fair enough, but a character like Mei Ling’s voice in MGS4 (for instance) is carried over from Twin Snakes and not the original. So some things from TS Kojima obviously preferred.

I think some more people would warm up to it if it were more accessible in such an HD collection.

Also I’ll add the disclaimer that I may have some nostalgia for Twin Snakes, since admittedly it was my first MGS game. As a kid after seeing Snake was going to be in Smash Bros Brawl, and since I only had a GameCube, I played it first. I’m sure some people will scoff at that but it got me into the series. Love me some MGS.
The voice acting in TS is far superior. Maybe the actors were more seasoned. Or maybe TS had a better director.

I'll die on this hill.

93xfan

Banned
Some people disagree, but I really liked the outlandish accents that Mei Ling and Naomi had in MGS1. It was charming, not offensive.

Also one of the best VA performances ever is Gray Fox in MGS1. "Hurt me more!!!"
100% agree. Loved the accents in that game

StueyDuck

For me I want an exact carbon copy of the games remastered at a higher resolution and with 60fps gameplay...

That's all I want.

Don't fuck with it and try do the gta collection upscaling or any shit like that.

Just give me native widescreen/60fps

Last edited:

Gojiira

I mean I was saying having both OG and TS would be nice. Not TS instead of OG. Pretty sure TS is wicked expensive to get a physical copy of, so having an official HD port would at least be nice for those who haven’t tried it but want to.
Hmmm ok thats acceptable I suppose, what they really need is HD updates for the AC!D series. So underrated.

YCoCg

They are considering those things in later titles are usual reserved for super natural characters or the ninjas, Snake is meant to be the normal soldier, in Twin Snakes every damn character is bouncing around like The Mask, hardly anyone is grounded in reality.

Top Bottom