• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Ground Zeroes to Phantom Pain Save Transfer

Tabris

EDIT 3 - EVERYONE BOOT UP GROUND ZEROES AND SELECT UPLOAD SAVE WHEN YOU'RE READY BEFORE YOU START PLAYING TPP. IT DOESN'T READ IT LOCALLY

So since a bunch of people have played MGS5: TPP now, do we have confirmation yet exactly what we need to do in Ground Zeroes for each item to be transferred over to The Phantom Pain.

I'll try to summarize as best I can since there are a ton of repeat questions here (note: I don't have TPP yet but have been following this thread)

• Use the guide in the OP to see all the POWs, targets, and soldiers you need to extract
  • You do not need to extract everyone in one playthrough, though you do need to successfully complete the mission each time for the extractions to register. For example, if you rescue the 2 POWs in "Eliminate Renegade Threat", kill the targets and finish the mission, then begin the mission again and extract the two targets, that should give you all 4 in TPP
  • You need to collect all the XOF patches to unlock the Deja Vu and Jamais Vu bonus missions. If you beat Deja Vu on Normal, you get the classic Snake skin in TPP. Some users here have reported that you just need to finish the mission and not recreate all the scenes and ace the quiz, though that is unconfirmed. It is also unconfirmed if the Grey Fox skin you get from beating Deja Vu on hard transfers over
  • It is also unconfirmed if the Raiden skins you get by beating Jamais Vu on Normal and Hard Transfer over
  • As far as we can tell, S Ranks, collecting all tapes, getting all trophies, 100% saves, and beating all missions on hard do not have any effect
  • You upload your save data from the title screen after finishing the prologue in TPP. You can upload and download your data at any time, and multiple times if you go back to GZ and do more, and it should update
  • Personnel and unlocks in TPP do not all appear immediately. Some appear only after beating certain missions or fulfilling other requirements. From what I've read, you need to finish at least until Mission 12 to have everything transfer and/or be available for R&D
  • Yes, the servers are down on Xbox. No, there isn't an ETA to fix them

qk8JApG.jpg

Current information so far:

- Need to extract 19 POWs and Agents through out the missions for 19 Volunteers in TPP. Just needs to be done on Normal.
- Need to beat Ground Zeroes Mission for the Sneaksuit Costume
- Need to beat Deja Vu for Snake Costume
- Need to beat Deja Vu Hard for Grey Fox Costume
- Need to beat Jamuis Vu for Raiden Costume
- Need to beat Jamuis Vu Hard for Raiden White Costume

No news on whether cassette tapes, S ranks, or percent completion matter at all.

Jawmuncher

I thought you only had to complete GZ. The amount of stuff you complete factors in as well?

That's where the confusion is at the moment. I thought the same thing. Which might be the case for what was shown recently. But more might be brought over as well.
For example I hope my Zone of the Enders cassette tape is brought over.

Betty

Banned
I read that prisoners and certain unique characters in Ground Zeroes need to be rescued to join your team in MGSV.

Don't know if that's confirmed though.

Tabris

Pretty sure you gotta find all those secrets and also extract the bonus prisoners to get 100%.

Extracting bonus prisoners doesn't change the percentage I can confirm, as I just did that recently. The percentage is all about the rewards. But what about cassettes? I'm currently at 31% but I haven't done hard missions or messed around making sure to S Rank.

I know Hideo was confirmed so you need to complete that mission.

I got everything and did all the missions on hard and I'm about 85%. I think I also have to eliminate all the enemies in the map but I don't want to do that.

LeonSPBR

The only thing that I know will transfer is the people that you save in the missions, But I don't know if it's only on GZ mission or all missions count.

What I also wouldnt be sure about is, chances are people who played Ground Zeroes, well most of them have probably replayed it ALOT of times since it's release. So...does it just take what you have on your save as a whole, or just the last time you played the mission. Do any of the content from the side missions come into play, like rescuing certain members in those missions. They haven't been very clear on that.

There are two ways to unlock content in TPP.

1. Transfer your Ground Zeroes save to TPP
2. go to core.konami.com and enter the code that came with your early retail copy of Ground Zeroes. If you bought the game digitally, I believe you do not need to do this step.

As for your Ground Zeroes save, here's what you need to do in GZ in order to unlock everything:

qk8JApG.jpg

Revven

So, just to be absolutely certain, you need to rescue all the soldiers/POWs in one go of a mission, right?

Doesn't have to be one go but it'll make it easier if it is one go because you'd save yourself some time. It records/tracks any prisoners or Persons of Interests you've collected in them. You can check this by your trophies/achievements (one or two achievements are attached to prisoners) or going into the Play Records in GZ and seeing the total prisoners collected in each mission -- of course, it also counts duplicates. So, if you got the same prisoner(s) in each replay it will inflate the counter meaning it'll be difficult to know if you actually got all the prisoners or not.

If you absolutely want to be certain you got all the PoWs and PoIs just replay all the missions and read up on where they're located and extract them.

Also should be mentioned that they said around a year ago in a Gamespot article that any skins you get in GZ will transfer as well -- this means the MGS1 Snake, MGS1 Grey Fox, and presumably all the Raiden skins will transfer. If you haven't unlocked those skins and you want them you better go do it... They're attached to the XOF badge-unlockable missions (Deja Vu and Jaimus Vu)

Edit: I just want to mention the communication on Konami's part about this save transfer nonsense has been pretty abysmal. They should have put out a reminder of some kind around a month ago detailing exactly what transfers from GZ to TPP so we wouldn't have people wondering about it and asking about it all the way leading up to TPP's release. Hell, put out something now a week before release... it'd be better than nothing like what they've done so far. Ah well.

Never really thought about extracting the random POW's, but I did earlier today extract the 2 'renegade soldiers' in that one mission, and I'm working on the undercover agent one right now.

I didn't even know they yielded something in PP, I just wanted to do it to see if I could

Kindekuma

Banned
From what I recall if you have your save file uploaded, TPP that's linked to you account will download the file, check what you've unlocked and unlock that data in game. Can't remember if PS3/360 versions have a save file uploader, in that case I guess the game would look locally on the saved data section of your console's HD and pull the data that way.

Xanathus

Note that there is no actual official confirmation that any of the POWs or unique soldiers you extract will carry over to TPP, those are all completely guesses made by people on the internet. The only thing confirmed by Konami is that doing stuff in GZ gets you staff in TPP.

I should've bought Ground Zeroes during the Steam summer sale. Didn't because I wasn't expecting to have TPP any time soon. Blah, expected there to be another sale before release but it's getting pretty close for that not happening.

2. go to core.konami.com and enter the code that came with your early retail copy of Ground Zeroes. If you bought the game digitally, I believe you do not need to do this step.

As for your Ground Zeroes save, here's what you need to do in GZ in order to unlock everything:

Thanks for this. Just remembered to register the code from my physical copy of GZ on PS4.

I do have the PS+ version, does that count as a "bought" game? Doesn't matter for me but figured this was the right place to ask.

Note that there is no actual official confirmation that any of the POWs or unique soldiers you extract will carry over to TPP, those are all completely guesses made by people on the internet. The only thing confirmed by Konami is that doing stuff in GZ gets you staff in TPP.

It's not speculation. The official site confirmed POWs and unique solders transfer over. YongYea also did a video translating the text from the site as well:https://youtu.be/3uQQmr05-9I

I should've bought Ground Zeroes during the Steam summer sale. Didn't because I wasn't expecting to have TPP any time soon. Blah, expected there to be another sale before release but it's getting pretty close for that not happening.

In case you didn't know, when you buy The Phantom Pain on Steam you get Ground Zeroes for free immediately, so you could run through GZ and get the 100% before TPP drops.

Then they both are in your MB staff. I think recruiting both is required for 100%.

Quick FYI, from that chart there's trophies for:
- Ground Zeroes: Extracting the POW who is going to be executed
- Eliminating the Renegade Threat: Extracting The Finger and The Eye
- Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements: Extracting all prisoners

So if you can't remember what you've done but have all the trophies (like me), you just need to worry about the 4x Ground Zeroes POWs in cages, 2x Eliminating the Renegade Threat POWs and 5x Classified Intel Acquisition extractions.

if you pre order tpp on steam you get gz free

Xanathus

It's not speculation. The official site confirmed POWs and unique solders transfer over. YongYea also did a video translating the text from the site as well:https://youtu.be/3uQQmr05-9I

Hmm OK that looks solid enough, didn't see that last time when I tried investigating what transferred over. I imagine that most of the transferred POWs and uniques will only have medium to low stats except for perhaps
Kojima
who may have high research stats like in Peace Walker.

I find it odd that you can extract both The Finger and The Eye.

I will probably replay all missions on normal just to get my POW and extractions up to date, then S rank the missions on Hard. The difficulty jump is crazy.

I will probably replay all missions on normal just to get my POW and extractions up to date, then S rank the missions on Hard. The difficulty jump is crazy.

Is it odd? That was my first instinct. Extract, get info, then execute @ home.

Xanathus

Extracting both of them is even an achievement.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Hard is much more mechanics driven. Once you learn the mechanics better it gets a lot easier. Walking around is really scary when you don't know if someone is going to see you or not. It's less scary when you know that you can walk within 40m before they see you. Its scary when you don't know how long they'll stay knocked out/asleep for. It's less scary when you know that sticking them up and telling them to lie down will ensure they stay down forever, unless theres an alert or someone else helps them up.

Stuff like that can be really helpful.

There's some cool CQC stuff that I didn't know for a while either, like Tap CQC then hold the aim button to steal your enemies weapon and hold them up with it.

majik13

Hard is much more mechanics driven. Once you learn the mechanics better it gets a lot easier. Walking around is really scary when you don't know if someone is going to see you or not. It's less scary when you know that you can walk within 40m before they see you. Its scary when you don't know how long they'll stay knocked out/asleep for. It's less scary when you know that sticking them up and telling them to lie down will ensure they stay down forever, unless theres an alert or someone else helps them up.

Stuff like that can be really helpful.

There's some cool CQC stuff that I didn't know for a while either, like Tap CQC then hold the aim button to steal your enemies weapon and hold them up with it.

Really, holding them up and telling them to lie down keeps them down forever?

Fisty

How do you get the Raiden skins? I dont think ive done his mission so im not sure, do you just beat that on normal and hard?

Alo0oy

Banned

qk8JApG.jpg

Does the PS+ version of GZ count? & do I have to download it?

I have a PS3 save but it's from a PAL version, while my TPP is a US PSN version on PS4.

Top Bottom