• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS:GZ - Looks and Performs a lot better on PS4...

Random question: Wasn't on GAF when this thread happened, so question: Why are so many reviewers saying GTA4 looks better on PS3? That's kind of objectively wrong, right?

Some reviewers were saying they prefer the "warmer" look of the PS3 version. This goes together with a statement of one on the Houser brothers who also said he prefers the way the PS3 renders stuff. Later we found out (the twist is somewhere in this thread) that it's sub-hd and that this look was mostly caused by the upscaling blur. Knowing that HDTVs were still kinda new back then, maybe people were reminded of the picture on a CRT?
Also the 360 version had its fair share of problems itself, so this debate got rather heated. And I think there were even more threads about this. People got banned for touching up images on purpose, etc. Crazy times!

Biker19

Banned
If the Xbox One is going to keep getting lesser third party games Microsoft has to drop the price. No way can this $100 premium over the PS4 last.

Heh, they need to lower it to $300 or $350 instead, because that's how much this system is really worth paying for.

Though I don't think that their investors will be too happy with that.

Jotaka

Some people say that 720p is ok because many TV are just 720p so they won't see the difference.... but they forget that in 6 years, most people will buy a new TV and it will have be a 1080p at least.

Dawg

kIZqnGV.png

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

What do you mean? Shahid is a mastermind!

"1080p PS4 game is closer to 60fps than 30fps" "1080p PS4 game is between 30fps and 60fps" "1080p PS4 game is 60fps"

Shahid - 1 You - 0

Gestault

[Popcorn.gif]

I'm curious of the gap represents what you'd expect from the underlying hardware performance gap, or something beyond that. I think that's the shape these questions are going to take moving forward this generation.

DesertFox

Though I'm not surprised, it's troubling to see this trend continue. I'm hoping that future games won't suffer from this, but I'm sure they will. I'm looking at you Destiny...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Though I'm not surprised, it's troubling to see this trend continue. I'm hoping that future games won't suffer from this, but I'm sure they will. I'm looking at you Destiny...

They always will. Maybe not to the same extent as these early games that are being made with shitty tools but the hardware will never be able to keep up.

SoyTits

Banned
To be fair, you really have to see Forza in person to appreciate it. It looks average to awful in screen shots and crappy Youtube vids but i was blown away when i saw it on a big tv in my local GAME. It was the same thing with Fifa which looks god damn awful in screens and Youtube vids but i couldn't believe how good it looked when i actually saw the game in person.

I have seen and played it and it looks incredibly unimpressive. The lighting was OK, but nothing I haven't seen in any other game this gen.

JP

I don't know how much the rest of you know about.....(I'm an expert)....
Comments which contain these words are always the most entertaining on GAF, unless they're comments which contain "nephew" references as they beat everything!

Bgamer90

Banned
If the Xbox One is going to keep getting lesser third party games Microsoft has to drop the price. No way can this $100 premium over the PS4 last.

PS2 was the same price as Xbox and $100 more than Gamecube throughout the gen.

They won't quickly drop price if the system keeps doing pretty well in sells. I am expecting a price drop late this year though.

sol_bad

Good to see people within the media are happy to say a game looks better on PS4 when the developer is happy to admit it.
Pretty much confirming that the media is the industries lackeys.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Good to see people within the media are happy to say a game looks better on PS4 when the developer is happy to admit it.
Pretty much confirming that the media is the industries lackeys.
Yeah, that's my take on it, as well.

If the developer says it's insignificant: Then the the previews say it's insignificant.

If the developer for some reason says it's significant then it's significant in previews.

So transparent, it's ridiculous.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kinect Sports was originally going to come out at launch but got delayed due to it not being ready I guess which isn't a bad thing at all -- wouldn't be good to have a bad game, especially one for kinect.

Plus we aren't even 4 months in yet. There could be some popular kinect games on the Xbox One in the future.
We're not simply talking about the "untapped potential" that's inherent with any new console here. This is the featureset that the console was expressly designed around going largely _unused_ at all in any launch software and nothing but one delayed 1st party game in the foreseeable future to remedy that. Despite how chummy they supposedly are with the likes of EA, they can't even get 3rd parties to fill the breach (assuming they even tried). It's the whole reason they decided to scale back core hardware performance, for which they'll keep getting slaughtered in these multiplat comparisons, and yet almost no one can be bothered to use it.

This isn't the kind of scenario where anyone should be saying, "Just give them time", esp. when they've had a much longer than usual generation to prepare.

I feel like they just had too many cooks in the kitchen. And half of the cooks had never actually cooked anything before.
Probably. I also keep coming back to the possibility that they really were shooting to launch in 2015 until Sony crashed that party.

yamo

This will continue to be funny until the day Penello gets in here and makes a formal apology thread about all the stupid things he said.

Jomjom

Banned
Heh... Dropping the price less than a year after launch is quick
If they did I dont even want to think about what the ambassador program will be if their games with gold is any indication. What 5 copies of Lococycle plus a paper ambassador cake for you and you ambassador friends to celebrate with?

mitchman

Gold Member
This will continue to be funny until the day Penello gets in here and makes a formal apology thread about all the stupid things he said.

That will never happen. The press would pick up on it and it would appear as if Microsoft officially acknowledges that the PS4 is the more powerful console. They wouldn't do that.

Top Bottom