• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

Ceb

Kojima's comment on "rumble guy" is different than before:

"Ever since MGS1 there was a specific guy, nicknamed the 'rumble creator', who worked on it for us", he says. "But he's been on a long vacation since we didn't think rumble was going to be in MGS4, so we're calling him back right now". Hmm. Long vacation sounds...ominous.

Since he's "in the office" now, I guess they did call him back. :D

Kuroyume

Banned
Oh my god... I just watched the newest trailer.. Holy shit... I really need to get a PS3 before it's released. Those bosses are fucking insane! It totally creeped me out. @_@

Kuroyume said:
Oh my god... I just watched the newest trailer.. Holy shit... I really need to get a PS3 before it's released. Those bosses are fucking insane! It totally creeped me out. @_@

yeah, they absolutely need to keep that atmosphere in the game...When fighting crying wolf, I want it to be tearing all over the landscape, constantly in motion....No particular pattern, and none of this standing still to shoot rubbish

Dot50Cal

Banned
Darkpen said:
Couldn't someone put up a torrent of this instead? D: Make it easier for everyone else who doesn't want to download and ftp client >.>

Just use save target as...You dont need an FTP client to download from FTP's.

Darkpen

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Just use save target as...You dont need an FTP client to download from FTP's.
but it doesn't work! D:

And also, I went to the site, they have the HD torrent link at the bottom of their GC kojipro coverage D:

Laurent

Ether_Snake said:
Ok MAYBE she is from Montreal but she is anglophone, her name is english. It is pronounced JAYDE, as in english, not JAHDUH as in french. I know this firsthand. But who cares really.
My mistake then; but quebecer != francophone as a first language...

Ether_Snake said:
freethought: I actually don't believe that Big Boss really wanted a world of war, not anymore than The Boss betrayed her country. If you played MPO you can see how there were two potential successors to The Boss: Big Boss, and Gene. Gene was exactly like Liquid, he believed he was her successor, and he intended on making the same kind of world that Liquid is trying to make, yet when he was defeated by Big Boss he realized that he was not The Boss' true successor. And we know The Boss wanted to unite the world; this is definitly not what The Patriots of MGS2, MGS4, and Liquid are trying to do. They are all acting exactly like how The Boss described The Philosophers at the end of MGS3: they have become war itself.

Well, I've never played MPO so I can't comment upon that. I will say however, that it was the circumstances surrounding the Boss' death that to my mind sowed the seeds of Outer Heaven in Big Boss' mind. The way she was used as nothing more than a disposable tool of the politicians is where the idea of a world ruled by soldiers originally came from. After all, the Boss didn't betray her country, her country betrayed her.

Regardless, my point was the similarities between the permanent war from 1984 and the world Liquid specifically is striving to create, notably the Colonels dialogue at the very beginning. Honestly, I think the motivations of Big Boss are immaterial at this point, although I guess I want to say that I'm very uneasy with the idea of Snake continuing their legacy. He wishes nothing less than an end to war, something neither the Boss nor Big Boss had ever sought.

Still, I suppose they might have thought they were sowing the seeds for peace. There is certainly an argument to be made there. But I can't help but feel that the Boss set herself up as a cautionary tale for Big Boss, to let him know soldiers are nothing more than tools, which is why he sought to change that.

Aggelos

The VA who talks to Snake about "The beauty & Beast" is Fujiwara Keiji (Mr. Sigint).
So after Eva and Mr. Sigint in MGS4??

Laurent

Graphics Horse said:
I made one of those but the conversation moved onto other things so I didn't bother posting
4lfgroi.jpg
These robots are WAY too wide for her to have her legs and her butt open like that; it doesn't make any sense, watch the video...

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
freethought said:
Well, I've never played MPO so I can't comment upon that. I will say however, that it was the circumstances surrounding the Boss' death that to my mind sowed the seeds of Outer Heaven in Big Boss' mind. The way she was used as nothing more than a disposable tool of the politicians is where the idea of a world ruled by soldiers originally
came from. After all, the Boss didn't betray her country, her country betrayed her.

Well said. Thats the way I see it too. I think Big Boss created Outer heaven because he was angry about the way that thew boss had been treated by her country. He wanted to create a world where soldiers were more than tools and had a control over their own destany. Big Boss didnt want to create a world of war, but by trying to create a world for soldiers, that was what he was going to cause. He let his personal get in the feelings of doing what was right for the world.

Liquid has misinterpreted what Big Boss wanted. Liquid is trying to create a world of war like Big Boss did, but both are doing it for different reasons. Big Boss did it because he believed that soldiers shouldnt be politicians puppets, but Liquid did it because he thought Big Boss wanted the strongest soldiers to have power.

freethought said:
Regardless, my point was the similarities between the permanent war from 1984 and the world Liquid specifically is striving to create, notably the Colonels dialogue at the very beginning. Honestly, I think the motivations of Big Boss are immaterial at this point, although I guess I want to say that I'm very uneasy with the idea of Snake continuing their legacy. He wishes nothing less than an end to war, something neither the Boss nor Big Boss had ever sought.
Snake seems to be the one thats realised that people like him, Big boss, the boss and liquid are the reason why these wars happen. Thats why I think he was going to shoot himself in that trailer. I dont think snake will die like that if Kojima showed snake pointing the gun at himself in the trailer, but I do think Snake will try to get rid of anyone connected to The Boss, inclduing himself because he realises that its his genes and his fathers gene's that have caused so many problems.

freethought said:
Still, I suppose they might have thought they were sowing the seeds for peace. There is certainly an argument to be made there. But I can't help but feel that the Boss set herself up as a cautionary tale for Big Boss, to let him know soldiers are nothing more than tools, which is why he sought to change that.
I dont think the Boss would have done that. She knew Big Boss pretty well, so she might have known how he would react if he found out how she had been treated.

psycho_snake said:
I dont think the Boss would have done that. She knew Big Boss pretty well, so she might have known how he would react if he found out how she had been treated.

Not only might she have predicted it, she might have been counting on it. The Boss really did seem to be a bad guy, the trouble with MGS is that pretty much every single character is acting out of their own selfish desires, except Snake, Solid Snake that is. But despite that, they're still very sympathetic.

I said the Boss sacrificed herself to teach Big Boss a lesson but I don't think this is true. The Boss didn't even sacrifice herself, she was ordered on a suicide mission and being a soldier she had no option but to accept the mission. Teaching Big Boss a lesson was secondary, but it couldn't have been clearer; don't allow yourself to become a pawn in someone else's scheme.

Laurent said:
These robots are WAY too wide for her to have her legs and her butt open like that; it doesn't make any sense, watch the video...
Perhaps her body is only encased within the "exoskeleton"
(If it even is an exoskeleton.)
, and she controls the suit through a cybernetic link to her brain? Meaning, she would only control the suit through her brain, and wouldn't have to articulate any limbs to control it.

I don't know. Makes sense to me.

freethought said:
Not only might she have predicted it, she might have been counting on it. The Boss really did seem to be a bad guy, the trouble with MGS is that pretty much every single character is acting out of their own selfish desires, except Snake, Solid Snake that is. But despite that, they're still very sympathetic.

I said the Boss sacrificed herself to teach Big Boss a lesson but I don't think this is true. The Boss didn't even sacrifice herself, she was ordered on a suicide mission and being a soldier she had no option but to accept the mission. Teaching Big Boss a lesson was secondary, but it couldn't have been clearer; don't allow yourself to become a pawn in someone else's scheme.

Yeah, I definitely have the same sentiments regarding this.

robut said:
I think Raging Raven is voiced by the guy who does Invader Zim....
Raging Raven is voiced by a woman.

Aggelos said:
The VA who talks to Snake about "The beauty & Beast" is Fujiwara Keiji (Mr. Sigint).
So after Eva and Mr. Sigint in MGS4??
:O

For the reals? I totally thought it was him. Everything about the voice seemed so familiar.

Yoboman

I don't like these trailers that are more like cutscenes. Hopefully we get one like the E3 2006 trailer at TGS. I think it'll be the last MGS trailer ever, so it better be good T_T

Laurent

U K Narayan said:
Perhaps her body is only encased within the "exoskeleton"
(If it even is an exoskeleton.)
, and she controls the suit through a cybernetic link to her brain? Meaning, she would only control the suit through her brain, and wouldn't have to articulate any limbs to control it.
Did they stated that the girls were the wolves?
Sn... SNIPER WOLF! Weird coincidence...
They could easily be those weird flying humanoids; they still look like beasts...

If these girls are wolves, no way their legs are open wide like that, that's just... too... well... Kojima? Then it's confirmed! :lol

Aegus

Who says the people inside the machines have to have all legs and arms attached? My money is on the legs and arms being chopped off and all the nerves are connected to te machines.

Darkpen

Banned
Guys, there is no way that a human body would fit into Wolf's body in the way that you guys are drawing. Wolf is freaking huge in comparison to the other soldiers, and like Laurent said, legs don't spread like that. If there's any remains of her original body in there (if at all), then I imagine it to be only partial.

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Well said. Thats the way I see it too. I think Big Boss created Outer heaven because he was angry about the way that thew boss had been treated by her country. He wanted to create a world where soldiers were more than tools and had a control over their own destany. Big Boss didnt want to create a world of war, but by trying to create a world for soldiers, that was what he was going to cause. He let his personal get in the feelings of doing what was right for the world.

Liquid has misinterpreted what Big Boss wanted. Liquid is trying to create a world of war like Big Boss did, but both are doing it for different reasons. Big Boss did it because he believed that soldiers shouldnt be politicians puppets, but Liquid did it because he thought Big Boss wanted the strongest soldiers to have power.

Snake seems to be the one thats realised that people like him, Big boss, the boss and liquid are the reason why these wars happen. Thats why I think he was going to shoot himself in that trailer. I dont think snake will die like that if Kojima showed snake pointing the gun at himself in the trailer, but I do think Snake will try to get rid of anyone connected to The Boss, inclduing himself because he realises that its his genes and his fathers gene's that have caused so many problems.

What Snake's trying to get rid of isn't his genes, but his memes, the ideas that he has inherited.

Also, just to add to the conversation are these pictures. They're a little old, but the comparison is still uncanny.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

First picture aside (as its taken from the first trailer), anyone that played MPO should understand the significance.

Laurent

Darkpen said:
What Snake's trying to get rid of isn't his genes, but his memes, the ideas that he has inherited.

Also, just to add to the conversation are these pictures. They're a little old, but the comparison is still uncanny.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

First picture aside (as its taken from the first trailer), anyone that played MPO should understand the significance.
Seems like there is a bad guy, a chopper and soldiers suffering in EVERY GODDAMN METAL GEAR SOLID GAMES... But yeah, the angle and the presentation comparasion is interesting...

Darkpen

Banned
Laurent said:
Seems like there is a bad guy, a chopper and soldiers suffering in EVERY GODDAMN METAL GEAR SOLID GAMES... But yeah, the angle and the presentation comparasion is interesting...
I take it you never played MPO.

The significance isn't so much the camera angles, but what's going on. In MPO,
Gene, the leader of Fox insurgency who plans on sending nukes to Langley and considers himself the successor of The Boss, wishes to create "Inner Heaven," a world for soldiers, blah blah blah. In the scene being depicted, he uses his supernatural voice to convince the soldiers that there's a traitor in the group, and that they must kill the traitor. The soldiers get paranoid, and it all ends in a massacre, as Gene leaves to launch the real Metal Gear

Laurent

Darkpen said:
I take it you never played MPO.

The significance isn't so much the camera angles, but what's going on. In MPO,
Gene, the leader of Fox insurgency who plans on sending nukes to Langley and considers himself the successor of The Boss, wishes to create "Inner Heaven," a world for soldiers, blah blah blah. In the scene being depicted, he uses his supernatural voice to convince the soldiers that there's a traitor in the group, and that they must kill the traitor. The soldiers get paranoid, and it all ends in a massacre, as Gene leaves to launch the real Metal Gear
I see... I saw some footage on YouTube to get the story but it did not go that far
(I can't believe they named the bad guy GENE)
, but still, every post-Outer Heaven Metal Gear games have a similar storyline. Interesting though that
you called it Inner Heaven for MPO. Is that actually how Gene reffers to his plan?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No he calls it Army's Heaven.

It is very clear that The Boss' personal mission in MGS3 was to make sure Big Boss would know what it means to walk her path. She clearly said a soldier's skills should not be used to hurt friends, etc. Her mission was to lead Big Boss to brake free from the cycle, to reject his future fate. But at the same time she tells him that he won't escape it; he who inherits the title of Boss will live the rest of his life in conflit, as a soldier. The exact same thing Big Boss told Snake before his final battle.

Big Boss failed, he became a prisoner to his fate, and didn't manage to break free. So in MG2, he, like The Boss, is probably just following orders, but his personal mission is to make sure that Snake rejects the methods and ideals of the ones who have controlled The Boss and Big Boss' fates. He never tells the truth to Snake because he wants Snake to reject him, to never become like him. He wants him to break free from the cycle.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
freethought said:

Good point. It sounds like something the boss would do. She carried out her mission because she had to, but at the same time she might have been counting on Big Boss to understand what happened to her and try to change things so that soldiers dont have to do what she did. That would give more reason as to why she really wanted snake to know about her mission; she felt like he was the one that could change things.

Darkpen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
No he calls it Army's Heaven.

It is very clear that The Boss' personal mission in MGS3 was to make sure Big Boss would know what it means to walk her path. She clearly said a soldier's skills should not be used to hurt friends, etc. Her mission was to lead Big Boss to brake free from the cycle, to reject his future fate. But at the same time she tells him that he won't escape it; he who inherits the title of Boss will live the rest of his life in conflit, as a soldier. The exact same thing Big Boss told Snake before his final battle.

Big Boss failed, he became a prisoner to his fate, and didn't manage to break free. So in MG2, he, like The Boss, is probably just following orders, but his personal mission is to make sure that Snake rejects the methods and ideals of the ones who have controlled The Boss and Big Boss' fates. He never tells the truth to Snake because he wants Snake to reject him, to never become like him. He wants him to break free from the cycle.
Well spoken, and yes, my mistake its Army's Heaven. I think I was thinking "Inner" since that's the opposite of Outer Heaven D:

The name "Outer Heaven" comes from when Snake says to
Gene, "My heaven is outside your heaven," after hearing what Gene had to say about his dreams

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Good point. It sounds like something the boss would do. She carried out her mission because she had to, but at the same time she might have been counting on Big Boss to understand what happened to her and try to change things so that soldiers dont have to do what she did. That would give more reason as to why she really wanted snake to know about her mission; she felt like he was the one that could change things.
That's even more evident in MPO
with the whole case with Gene and his goals. Being the sole result of the Successor project for the Boss, he was doing what the Boss wanted, or at least what he saw in that.
Same thing with Liquid and Ocelot as well. They all drive at the same goal, but from different angles.

I think its entertaining to think that each martyr was trying to change their successor's way of thinking from how they thought themselves. In a way, through Big Boss's death, Solid Snake inherited all of those memes, and thus, explains why we see him talking about ending his memes by putting a gun in his mouth.

Ether_Snake said:

Are you sure about this? It seems to me Big Boss did break free of the fate the befell the Boss. He wasn't beholden to any power higher than his own, at least that's my understanding. Do we have any kind of proof that Big Boss was just a puppet of the Patriots?

The fact that both met similar ends is probably pertinent. I just think the circumstances couldn't have been any more different; The Boss lost her son, her lover, her family, her home, her country and her honour all in the service of her political masters, Big Boss on the other hand, was killed by his son in pursuit of his own twisted dream.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
freethought said:
Are you sure about this? It seems to me Big Boss did break free of the fate the befell the Boss. He wasn't beholden to any power higher than his own, at least that's my understanding. Do we have any kind of proof that Big Boss was just a puppet of the Patriots?

The fact that both met similar ends is probably pertinent. I just think the circumstances couldn't have been any more different; The Boss lost her son, her lover, her family, her home, her country and her honour all in the service of her political masters, Big Boss on the other hand, was killed by his son in pursuit of his own twisted dream.

Well there are a few hints. One, in MPO Big Boss is clearly opposed to the use of nuclear weapons, he is hihgly personally driven to stop the nuke from being lunched, and a woman he saves (Elisa) speaks to him about her fear/hatred of nucealr war, etc. Big Boss is also told that his future son(s) will both ruin and save the world, she even tells him he will build a new Metal Gear. Then add the fact that The Boss was seen as villain by everyone, it was her role, when in reality she was just following orders. And how Big Boss actually accepts, after the MPO mission (and after being used once again), to become the leader of Fox Hound because he feels he has to pass over what has been handed down to him. And the fact that it is almost certain he accepted to join The Patriots.

The "villain" of MG2 makes no sense under that light. It is far more likely that after years of trying to do things right, he ended up in the same situation as The Boss. He gave everything up, sacrificed everything, for the mission. But in the end he didn't escape his fate.

The Snake Eater mission and the similarities between the way The Boss acts and Big Boss in MG2 are pretty strong.

Anyway that's what I think the retconing will show. And it would make sense, if it's his grave in MGS4 that Snake salutes. It has the same words as those on The Boss', and it shows how in the end he lived and died in the same way as her, and now Snake is saluting him because after all these years he realized something he had not till now.

Darkpen

Banned
freethought said:

A theory states that Big Boss was part of the Patriots, organized by Ocelot and a mysterious third member, who's assumed to be Major Zero.

Ether_Snake said:
Well there are a few hints. One, in MPO Big Boss is clearly opposed to the use of nuclear weapons, he is hihgly personally driven to stop the nuke from being lunched, and a woman he saves (Elisa) speaks to him about her fear/hatred of nucealr war, etc. Big Boss is also told that his future son(s) will both ruin and save the world, she even tells him he will build a new Metal Gear. Then add the fact that The Boss was seen as villain by everyone, it was her role, when in reality she was just following orders. And how Big Boss actually accepts, after the MPO mission (and after being used once again), to become the leader of Fox Hound because he feels he has to pass over what has been handed down to him. And the fact that it is almost certain he accepted to join The Patriots.

Well, if it turns out Big Boss was a member/instrument of the Patriots then surely the plots of MG1 and 2 are rendered nonsensical. What was the point of any of it? Again I haven't played MPO (although it really does seem like I should) but from the ending of MGS3 it certainly seemed like Big Boss was planning to seize the Philosopher's Legacy for himself, in fact that's what I assumed happened, then he built Outer Heaven.

But if your theory is correct, then were the Patriots simply trying to achieve the same end in MG and MG2 that they are trying to achieve in MGS4. Of course that's assuming that Liquid is acting precisely as they anticipated, which I guess is likely. Still it raises as many questions as it answers.

Top Bottom