• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

FatalT

Banned
Raging Raven! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGING RRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAVEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! It's RAGING RAVEN!

bud

Reilly said:
Go read the game manual. It says "Not much is known about him/her?"

it says him, i think, unless you already checked and know it for sure. you can read more about him in the documents that came with mgs2.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
TheExorzist said:
Kojima explaind it in an beliveable way - and that's the difference. Look at the explanations in MGS2 - VERY poorly. In MGS3 there weren't hardly any explanations at all.
Just try to enjoy it for what it is. You'll be able to enjoy MGS games if you dont try to look for explanations to why each character does what.

Yoboman

Darkpen said:
.....who says that screaming mantis is Psycho mantis? :| Decoy Octopus was a man, that much is very clear.
How many other Mantis's were in the series?

Nobody knows what Decoy Octopus actually looked like, or whether it was a man or woman.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Reilly said:
Go read the game manual. It says "Not much is known about him/her?"

You don't even get to really see him in MGS1
He assumes Anderson's appearance at the beginning and dies from Fox Die as Snake tries to rescue him thinking he's the real one

Darkpen

Banned
TheExorzist said:
It's not about the medium. I'm talking about the context within the storyline.
When it comes to fiction, "realism" is a non-issue, and anything can be bent to the creator's will, especially if it isn't a licensed product (of another group or individual).

MGS2 was a reflection of MGS1 and commentary on the direction that technology and government is going. MGS3 was thematically strong, and if anything, could be best served as an interpretation of what Big Boss's life was like (if one were to argue about "realism").

Is it unlikely for a band of freaks to be so concentrated in one place in a fictional world, even if it is based on the real one? No. Heck, for all you know, it happens in real life, but you just don't know it.

MGS is a work of fiction, get over it.

Mistouze said:
You don't even get to really see him in MGS1
He assumes Anderson's appearance at the beginning and dies from Fox Die as Snake tries to rescue him thinking he's the real one

I think you see him carrying Anderson's body away in a flashback (or was that raven?)

Zenith

Banned
I better go save the day:

6bnbo8i.jpg

Reilly

Graphics Horse said:
I think you see him carrying Anderson's body away in a flashback (or was that raven?)

Regardless of what you saw, there is no evidence to suggest decoy octopus is a male. Hell, the picture that is shown could be a previous copy of someone else.

Darkpen

Banned
McDragon said:
Decoy Octopus:

huh...

okay, nevermind. Decoy Octopus is an "it."

However, I still stand by what I've said regarding the unlikely chance of this Mantis being the very same as MGS1's Mantis. Who's to say they're the same.

Its a freaking codename, people. Liquid Snake and Solid Snake had the same codename, does that mean they're actually the same person? No, and you know as much.

Darkpen

Banned
Zenith said:
I better go save the day:

6bnbo8i.jpg
Huh... conflicting reports.

I dunno if its an artistic issue, but Octopus has a surprisingly low jawline, and the eyebrows are questionable.

Ah whatever, let's just say its either an "it" or a guy. Doesn't matter.

PleoMax

Banned
FatalT said:
It's Raging Raven!

These bosses look like shit. What is this, the power rangers squad? wtf

And you guys talking about decoy like you know, saying he ain't no male, man, go learn some MGS background.

MALE!

Reilly said:
Regardless of what you saw, there is no evidence to suggest decoy octopus is a male. Hell, the picture that is shown could be a previous copy of someone else.

Don't worry, I'm not entering the male/female debate, it only started because some people have sexual feelings towards the new character designs!

I've just watched it again and it is raven who carries away the body.

They look fine to me, and you guys need to remember that Kojima's pretty much stopped fleshing out a story for all the bosses after everyone bellyached about them in MGS and MGS2. Most of the bosses in MGS3 existed purely for gameplay interests, and it looks to be the same here.

Darkpen

Banned
PleoMax said:
These bosses look like shit. What is this, the power rangers squad? wtf

And you guys talking about decoy like you know, saying he ain't no male, man, go learn some MGS background.

MALE!
mgspoplus.gif

lucius

Can't really tell from those pics have to actually fight them to judge. I think MGS3 had the weakest bosses from the series, but they were still better than 90% of the bosses in other games anyway.

Yoboman

I don't like the names really, they aren't growing on me. I don't think the emotion part ties in well for a name. I mean Raging Raven sounds like a wrestler or something

Darkpen

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Don't worry, I'm not entering the male/female debate, it only started because some people have sexual feelings towards the new character designs!

I've just watched it again and it is raven who carries away the body.
Are you talking about MGS1? Is there something significant in Raven hauling Octopus's dead body away from the cell? D:

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
I don't like the names really, they aren't growing on me. I don't think the emotion part ties in well for a name. I mean Raging Raven sounds like a wrestler or something
I dunno... I think they're growing me. Thematically, the names kinda work, and if anything, your opinion of "Raging Raven" sounding like a wrestler may even be given some credit. If you look at how the guy looks, he looks very much like a fighter of somekind, very aggressive.

PleoMax

Banned
Red Blaster said:
They look fine to me, and you guys need to remember that Kojima's pretty much stopped fleshing out a story for all the bosses after everyone bellyached about them in MGS and MGS2. Most of the bosses in MGS3 existed purely for gameplay interests, and it looks to be the same here.

What? The bosses in MGs1 and MGs2 were amazing because of that. Mgs3 bosses were like..."oh ok...so i have to kill this guy...fiiine", aside from The end.

Jenga

Banned
Darkpen said:
I dunno... I think they're growing me. Thematically, the names kinda work, and if anything, your opinion of "Raging Raven" sounding like a wrestler may even be given some credit. If you look at how the guy looks, he looks very much like a fighter of somekind, very aggressive.
RAAAAAAGINNNNNG RAAAAAAAAAAAAVEEEEEEN

olawd i wonder if raven will use that like captain falcon's falcon PAUNCH

Darkpen

Banned
PleoMax said:
What? The bosses in MGs1 and MGs2 were amazing because of that. Mgs3 bosses were like..."oh ok...so i have to kill this guy...fiiine", aside from The end.
Well, that was the issue that a lot of people brought up. While the bosses in MGS3 were interesting, they were dull in comparison to 1 and 2 as far as backstory was concerned. They were cannon fodder that The Boss sent to Snake. In a way, its actually symbolic of Snake "consuming" the Cobra unit.

If anything, most of what's being discussed is a matter of opinion anyways :/

Yoboman

Thinking about the Wolf fight has me excited. I imagine it's going to be like being hunted, rather than being the hunter (against the End) in MGS3.

Reilly

Yoboman said:
Thinking about the Wolf fight has me excited. I imagine it's going to be like being hunted, rather than being the hunter (against the End) in MGS3.
I imagine all the boss fights in MGS4 will be like that.

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
Considering how fierce it looks, I have a creeping feeling that it'll be an on-rails boss fight like the Shagohod chase... I have no idea how the fight could possibly work.

Darkpen said:
Well, that was the issue that a lot of people brought up. While the bosses in MGS3 were interesting, they were dull in comparison to 1 and 2 as far as backstory was concerned. They were cannon fodder that The Boss sent to Snake. In a way, its actually symbolic of Snake "consuming" the Cobra unit.

If anything, most of what's being discussed is a matter of opinion anyways :/

In alot of ways I think the lack of backstory for the Cobra's was intentional because of the story they were trying to tell about how soldiers are treated. They're killed and that's it, most people never knew they existed and know nothing about them. And that's what the Cobra's were.

psycho_snake

Yoboman said:
Same here. Crying wolf sounds ok, but the rest are pretty bad. Laughing octopus sounds so bloody stupid and as you said, raging raven sounds like a wrestler.

dralla

Laughing Octopus is my favorite name. I like them all, RR is probably the worst. But you know what Snake says...

Names don't mean anything on the battlefield.
:D

Yoboman

Reilly said:
I imagine all the boss fights in MGS4 will be like that.
Nah, this'll be different. Like a wolf hunting. The Octopus battle will probably be a battle of camoflouge of some sort. Mantis will be reminiscent of the Mantis fight in MGS1. Raven I don't know.

PleoMax said:

Well that's what people were clamoring for, especially after the rather disappointing set of boss battles in MGS2.

psycho_snake

Red Blaster said:
The sorrow wasnt like that. He's got a story and its a pretty important one too. The fury had a story and obviously the boss had one too. Not all the bosses had a backgroud story like those from MGS1 and 2, but it wasnt taken out completely.

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
Nah, this'll be different. Like a wolf hunting. The Octopus battle will probably be a battle of camoflouge of some sort. Mantis will be reminiscent of the Mantis fight in MGS1. Raven I don't know.
I dunno, I somehow imagine that all of the boss fights will be really unique and fresh, instead of hearkening to old MGS bosses.

Like, maybe Raven will be an aerial battle, or perhaps even up-close and personal. Wolf looks like the fight would be just visceral in general, Mantis looks like there will be some trickery and shenanigans abound, and Octopus just looks really... unique.

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
The sorrow wasnt like that. He's got a story and its a pretty important one too. The fury had a story and obviously the boss had one too. Not all the bosses had a backgroud story like those from MGS1 and 2, but it wasnt taken out completely.
Well, the point is that the core bosses that had any importance were anyone that had to do with The Boss and Snake in general, while the other Cobra unit members were really just cannon fodder, nameless soldiers sent to their graves.

MCD

I think we will see more of Sniper Wolf in MGS4, since she is a Kurd (Iraq) and the game is set in the Middle East.

Otacon will cry one more time.

psycho_snake

Yoboman said:
Nah, this'll be different. Like a wolf hunting.
I was hoping that the gekkou's would be more like that. Whenever you saw one, they'd keep chasing you and you and they'd also be very difficult to kill, so your only option would be to hide from them, like snake did in that trailer where he encountered a metal gear.

Jenga

Banned
Darkpen said:
I dunno, I somehow imagine that all of the boss fights will be really unique and fresh, instead of hearkening to old MGS bosses.

Like, maybe Raven will be an aerial battle, or perhaps even up-close and personal. Wolf looks like the fight would be just visceral in general, Mantis looks like there will be some trickery and shenanigans abound, and Octopus just looks really... unique.
It's obvious there will be tentacles involved. Lots and lots of tentacles.

Top Bottom