• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

Ploid 3.0

Mantis will be a pain to fight. She/it even have a couple shotel like curved knives in her/it's many additional hands.

Bebpo said:
So going by the description of the trailer earlier in the thread, the bosses have the same powers that the MGS1 bosses of the same name did?

Psycho Mantis = Telekinesis
Decoy Octopus = Camouflage/Disguise-changing
Also Crying Wolf has some sort of rifle on it.

Yoboman

Let me get this right in regards to the faction in the game

There's Ocelot and the PMC's
The militia group
New Foxhound (Meryl's group)
Snake and Otacon
and the Patriots

And so I'm going to presume these guys are the "guns" of the Patriots? Will the Patriots have their own military force?

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
Let me get this right in regards to the faction in the game

There's Ocelot and the PMC's
The militia group
New Foxhound (Meryl's group)
Snake and Otacon
and the Patriots

And so I'm going to presume these guys are the "guns" of the Patriots? Will the Patriots have their own military force?
I imagine that, in a way, Ocelot's group and the PMCs are the "guns" of the Patriots, as are these bosses.

Darkpen

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
WOAH! Faptastic. Wish I could hear shit thou.

Someone here said they are all women. Is that confirmed? Their sleek, 'long body' design seem to point to that...

End subs say something like: 'Snake, war makes monsters out of humans.' and 'War changes humans'
faptastic indeed.

I don't know about all of them being women, I think that was just a joke, playing off of the drama about women being victims of war, etc.

Mamesj

Banned
some of you guys are acting like all MGS bosses aren't retarded on some level. I'm actually surprised by how uniform this group is.

All I ask is that when you kill these guys, they don't repeat their names over and over before blowing up. I'm sure the nonsense monologues before you fight them will stay in.

Yoboman

Darkpen said:
I imagine that, in a way, Ocelot's group and the PMCs are the "guns" of the Patriots, as are these bosses.
Didn't (Liquid) Ocelot betray the Patriots at the end of MGS2 though?

Son of Godzilla said:
Really though, almost everything about MGS4 has been so absolutely preposterous that it has to be deliberate fuck you to people that take the games seriously.

And :lol x50 @ wolf's huge shiny ass.

I'm not sure about that. I have to say that MGS is the game I take the most seriously, but at the end of the day it's science fiction. It can have all manner of allusions to the real world and still retain an element of the fantastic.

I love the bosses, and I think it's worth pointing out that there is no technology seen in their design that we didn't already know existed in the MGS canon. They could be the latest result of Foxhound's Cyber Soldier program, with bodies based on the RAY design and more than likely controlled by SOP.

Darkpen

Banned
Mamesj said:
some of you guys are acting like all MGS bosses aren't retarded on some level. I'm actually surprised by how uniform this group is.

All I ask is that when you kill these guys, they don't repeat their names over and over before blowing up. I'm sure the nonsense monologues before you fight them will stay in.
lol, that was something Kojima wanted, in homage to Sentai shows (aka Power Rangers in the states).

Yoboman

I bet the real Metal Gear is going to be some Evangelion sized motherfucker, just for the sake of needing to be big enough to overshadow the awesome mechs already in it.

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
After MPO, there's been some debate about maybe Ocelot is actually part of the Patriots (the new one), as was Big Boss, and some assume the third member to be Major Zero.

I dunno, its fairly convoluted, but if there's one thing that's for sure, its that Liquid Ocelot is following the steps of Big Boss, and Gene before him.

Yoboman

Darkpen said:
After MPO, there's been some debate about maybe Ocelot is actually part of the Patriots (the new one), as was Big Boss, and some assume the third member to be Major Zero.

I dunno, its fairly convoluted, but if there's one thing that's for sure, its that Liquid Ocelot is following the steps of Big Boss, and Gene before him.
Never played Portable Ops :(

castle007 said:
WTH was Kojima thinking?

Probably something like, "I'm going to make a game that feels right to me. If people are turned off by somethings then thats too fucking bad for them"

Darkpen said:
Its not Psycho Mantis, its A mantis, as in someone or someTHING with the same codename.

Bebpo put it rather nicely, which is that they appear to have the same skills as their predecessors (to some degree).

Can you or anyone else 100% confirm it isn't him in that suit? Just because their names have been changed doesn't mean they aren't the same people as previous games.

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
I bet the real Metal Gear is going to be some Evangelion sized motherfucker, just for the sake of needing to be big enough to overshadow the awesome mechs already in it.

You know, while we keep on calling the Gekkos and the newely revealed bosses "Metal Gears," they're technically not. In fact, by this logic, the Metal Gear Rays and Arsenal Gear weren't Metal Gears either. Nor is "Metal Gear Mk. II," Otacon's little toy.

A "Metal Gear," by original definition, is a bipedal robot capable of firing nuclear missles from any type of terrain, and if not bipedal, at least has legs to manage different terrains. If anything, Metal Gears devolved into something entirely different, and in MGS4, they became simply infantry units, fast-moving, walking tanks.

While I find the idea of "some Evangelion sized motherfucker" to be hilarious, and while I believe that there just might be one, I don't think it'd be THAT big.

Darkpen

Banned
ParticleReality said:
Probably something like, "I'm going to make a game that feels right to me. If people are turned off by somethings then thats too fucking bad for them"

Can you or anyone else 100% confirm it isn't him in that suit? Just because their names have been changed doesn't mean they aren't the same people as previous games.
Do you really think that's Sniper Wolf in Crying Wolf? Do you really think that's Decoy Octopus in Laughing Octopus?

Face it, man, they're codenames and allusions to the past. Everything is tying up into a nice little bow.

Darkpen

Banned
RavenFox said:
RavenFox secret boss in MGS4. You heard it here first.
Also Raging Raven is carrying the bosses gun? Or am I mistaken?
Just because the clip is a barrel-thing like the Boss's doesn't mean its the same gun >_>

Yoboman

Darkpen said:
You know, while we keep on calling the Gekkos and the newely revealed bosses "Metal Gears," they're technically not. In fact, by this logic, the Metal Gear Rays and Arsenal Gear weren't Metal Gears either. Nor is "Metal Gear Mk. II," Otacon's little toy.

A "Metal Gear," by original definition, is a bipedal robot capable of firing nuclear missles from any type of terrain, and if not bipedal, at least has legs to manage different terrains. If anything, Metal Gears devolved into something entirely different, and in MGS4, they became simply infantry units, fast-moving, walking tanks.

While I find the idea of "some Evangelion sized motherfucker" to be hilarious, and while I believe that there just might be one, I don't think it'd be THAT big.
Well they've never been referred to as Metal Gears. Gekkos are just known as Gekkos, I don't think Kojima has ever called them Metal Gear Gekko or anything like that. With Metal Gear MK. II, I think that's more like a pet name, just like a matchbox Ferrari isn't actually a Ferrari.

"In a recent interview, Metal Gear director Hideo Kojima stated that the Gekkos were not the game's titular Metal Gears, stating that they are more like a jeep or a tank compared to the actual Metal Gear."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_(weapon)#GEKKO

Technically we haven't seen ANY Metal Gear. And it can't be a Metal Gear game with out a Metal Gear

Bebpo

Banned
ParticleReality said:

But Raven and Mantis and maybe Octopus were men in MGS. While I think Kojima does like to be a bit crazy, I don't think he's going to do a story of men changed to robotic women.

Darkpen said:
Do you really think that's Sniper Wolf in Crying Wolf? Do you really think that's Decoy Octopus in Laughing Octopus?

Face it, man, they're codenames and allusions to the past. Everything is tying up into a nice little bow.
Not necessarily. I have a feeling they will have AIs that resemble the Foxhound members.

bud

Yoboman said:

liquid used ocelot who's working for the patriots. liquid says this on top of arsenal gear after he awakens: ''why do you (snake) think i chose ocelot as my host?''

that makes no sense at all.

Darkpen

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
You know, I'm pretty sure I'd be ok with paying upwards of $1000 each for 20" solid figurines of these boss characters.
You can pay less and get awesome Old Snake and Ninja Raiden figures D:

Yoboman

RavenFox said:
RavenFox secret boss in MGS4. You heard it here first.
Also Raging Raven is carrying the bosses gun? Or am I mistaken?
Patriot2.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
Well they've never been referred to as Metal Gears. Gekkos are just known as Gekkos, I don't think Kojima has ever called them Metal Gear Gekko or anything like that. With Metal Gear MK. II, I think that's more like a pet name, just like a matchbox Ferrari isn't actually a Ferrari.

"In a recent interview, Metal Gear director Hideo Kojima stated that the Gekkos were not the game's titular Metal Gears, stating that they are more like a jeep or a tank compared to the actual Metal Gear."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_(weapon)#GEKKO

Technically we haven't seen ANY Metal Gear. And it can't be a Metal Gear game with out a Metal Gear
I know that, my point is that WE're referring to them as Metal Gears, though I guess its just out of ease to categorize them and make it clear as to what we're referring to.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bebpo said:
But Raven and Mantis and maybe Octopus were men in MGS. While I think Kojima does like to be a bit crazy, I don't think he's going to do a story of men changed to robotic women.

Dunno about Raven, but Mantis sure is a woman. If you have seen at least one in your life, you should understand it at a first glance to that Famitsu scan (where the whole group is labeled "Beauty & Beast" for a reason I guess)

RavenFox

Banned
Darkpen said:
Just because the clip is a barrel-thing like the Boss's doesn't mean its the same gun >_>
Easy on the caffeine friend. Notice I said am I mistaken. Also we could also say sure that character could be linked somehow to The Boss but who knows until we actually play the game.

Yoboman said:
lol alright you bastards.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
What's funny is that those are supposed to be ''women of matchless beauty. Nah, just kickass looking.

bud

TTP said:
Dunno about Raven, but Mantis sure is a woman. If you have seen at least one in your life, you should understand it at a first glance to that Famitsu scan (where the whole group is labeled "Beauty & Beast" for a reason I guess)

he's saying that that can't be the old mantis because that was a dude. a dude can't suddenly become a woman (don't argue semantics here, plz) so it's not the good ol' mantis that you're seeing there.

Darkpen

Banned
So like... while there's a "New!!!" label on the GC 2007 button on the KojiPro Metal Gear Anniversary page, it doesn't flash white to indicate that there's a page or anything like that :(

here are the links for F5ing the heck out of them:

Japanese page
English page

Yoboman

bud said:
he's saying that that can't be the old mantis because that was a dude. a dude can't suddenly become a woman (don't argue semantics here, plz) so it's not the good ol' mantis that you're seeing there.
Mantis always wanted to be beautiful :lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Yoboman said:
well that happened when liquids conscious took over ocelots body, but I'm not sure if liquid conscious has taken over ocelot permanently.

bud

psycho_snake said:
well that happened when liquids conscious took over ocelots body, but I'm not sure if liquid conscious has taken over ocelot permanently.

it appears so. i can't remember who but apparently only one va is doing liquidocelot's work. it was mentioned in the kp podcast., iirc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
bud said:

ah ok. Sorry I misunderstood. Too much fapping over here. Lack of concentration.

Yoboman

psycho_snake said:
The trailers suggested so. He dresses more like Liquid now, he's referred to as Liquid Ocelot and he doesn't go spastic when Snake gets near him anymore

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Darkpen said:
When it comes to fiction, "realism" is a non-issue, and anything can be bent to the creator's will, especially if it isn't a licensed product (of another group or individual).

MGS2 was a reflection of MGS1 and commentary on the direction that technology and government is going. MGS3 was thematically strong, and if anything, could be best served as an interpretation of what Big Boss's life was like (if one were to argue about "realism").

Is it unlikely for a band of freaks to be so concentrated in one place in a fictional world, even if it is based on the real one? No. Heck, for all you know, it happens in real life, but you just don't know it.

MGS is a work of fiction, get over it.
But MGS isn't really fiction. It never was. The storyline is/was connected to the reality - or at least it's ment to be. I mean, we have REAL persons (Johnson, Chrustov aso.), REAL historical events (cold war) and REAL places. Legacy of Kain - that is pure fiction. Lord of the Rings - that is pure fiction. MGS is not, get over ist. It's this 50:50 bullshit.

Darkpen

Banned
bud said:
it appears so. i can't remember who but apparently only one va is doing liquidocelot's work. it was mentioned in the kp podcast., iirc.
Yeah, the whole Liquid Ocelot affair is something along the lines of:

Liquid's affected Ocelot so much that they're practically the same person.

Its a shame that the JP VA for Ocelot died, though I think its more of a pity that we won't be hearing Cam Clarke anymore :(

I like his voice, its so cheesy.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
bud said:

Yoboman said:
The trailers suggested so. He dresses more like Liquid now, he's referred to as Liquid Ocelot and he doesn't go spastic when Snake gets near him anymore

I had a feeling that was the case. When I first saw liquids conscious take over ocelot, I quite liked the idea, but now I'm not so sure. I didnt expect them to get rid of ocelots personality and he was my favourite bad guy, bo I'm a bit disappointed by it, but the good thing is that we get liquid back and I think they did keep ocelots original voice. Maybe I heard wrong, but when ocelot spoke in the E3 2007 MGS4 trailer, it sounded like ocelots voice from MGS1 and MGS2.

TheExorzist said:
But MGS isn't really fiction. It never was. The storyline is/was connected to the reality - or at least it's ment to be. I mean, we have REAL persons (Johnson, Chrustov aso.), REAL historical events (cold war) and REAL places. Legacy of Kain - that is pure fiction. Lord of the Rings - that is pure fiction. MGS is not, get over ist. It's this 50:50 bullshit.

MGS could be considered magical realism.

Darkpen

Banned
TheExorzist said:
lol

wut?

ha ha, no wait, let me catch my breath here...

MGS isn't really fiction? Did you just say that? "It never was"??

XD oh god

Yes, because, you know, in real life, we have giant bipedal tanks that are capable of shooting nuclear missiles from any kind of terrain.

Right.

And in real life, there are people who can take another person's blood (no matter what bloodtype), into their body, just to impersonate them.

Right.

Have you ever heard of Policenauts? Or perhaps Snatcher? Kojima's other works? Crazy stuff, but a lot of similar principles are shared.

Top Bottom