• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

TheExorzist said:
But MGS isn't really fiction. It never was. The storyline is/was connected to the reality - or at least it's ment to be. I mean, we have REAL persons (Johnson, Chrustov aso.), REAL historical events (cold war) and REAL places. Legacy of Kain - that is pure fiction. Lord of the Rings - that is pure fiction. MGS is not, get over ist. It's this 50:50 bullshit.

Is this sarcasm? Or do you really not understand what fiction is?

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
I had a feeling that was the case. When I first saw liquids conscious take over ocelot, I quite liked the idea, but now I'm not so sure. I didnt expect them to get rid of ocelots personality and he was my favourite bad guy, bo I'm a bit disappointed by it, but the good thing is that we get liquid back and I think they did keep ocelots original voice. Maybe I heard wrong, but when ocelot spoke in the E3 2007 MGS4 trailer, it sounded like ocelots voice from MGS1 and MGS2.
The reason why the VA for the Japanese version of MGS4 is the guy who does Liquid is because the guy who did Ocelot died. Kojima originally intended for it to be Ocelot who talks, not Liquid, and therefore, the English version of MGS4 is the true version D:

Looks cool to me... this is the future guys... THE FUTURE!!!
I thought you guys learned from Megaman X that all bosses in the future are anthropomorphic cyborgs with silly animal based names and designs.

I think a lot of what's been shown about MGS4 has to do with combining man and machine (nanomachine control, half-organic Metal Gears, Cyborg Raiden) and I think the bosses exemplify that. The trailer was just freaky, especially Screaming Mantis.... just hovering there with her mini-mini-me's...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Darkpen said:
lol

wut?

ha ha, no wait, let me catch my breath here...

MGS isn't really fiction? Did you just say that? "It never was"??

XD oh god

Yes, because, you know, in real life, we have giant bipedal tanks that are capable of shooting nuclear missiles from any kind of terrain.

Right.

And in real life, there are people who can take another person's blood (no matter what bloodtype), into their body, just to impersonate them.

Right.

Have you ever heard of Policenauts? Or perhaps Snatcher? Kojima's other works? Crazy stuff, but a lot of similar principles are shared.
You just don't want to understand it, do you? Look, Kojima nearly EVERYTHING try to explain logically. I know an robot like Metal Gear is pure fiction, BUT Kojima explained why it it was build! He even explained how it fucking works and why the story of Shadow Moses never went public (because of the patritos)! And there is sheer endless stuff like this. Why would he do that if he doesn't want some sort of connectivity to the reality? He connects this story to the real world. If you don't get that, then you should better ask yourself who of us didn't understand the MGS storyline. Think about it.

Bebpo

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Trailer is fucking hot, the Raven boss cut some dude in half.

Actually that's Wolf's sharp fucking tail that cuts dudes in half, which she has in addition to her sniper rifle, thigh machine turret, and some type of ball (bomb?) ;P

GrayFoxPL

4qogv14.jpg

Mantis is a babe confirmed.

If she isn't... FU Mr KOjima for confusing my penis! :lol

RavenFox

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Is this sarcasm? Or do you really not understand what fiction is?
You shouldnt have wasted your time with a response. As soon as I read the first sentence I moved on.

edit: Damn that video is just 0_0

Yoboman

TheExorzist said:
You just don't want to understand it, do you? Look, Kojima nearly EVERYTHING try to explain logically. I know an robot like Metal Gear is pure fiction, BUT Kojima explained why it it was build! He even explained how it fucking works and why the story of Shadow Moses never went public (because of the patritos)! And there is sheer endless stuff like this. Why would he do that if he doesn't want some sort of connectivity to the reality? He connects this story to the real world. If you don't get that, then you should better ask yourself who of us didn't understand the MGS storyline. Think about it.
That's still fiction

Holy shit that footage was fucking awesome. These enemies are extremely creative in their actions and behaviorisms and they actually look dangerous and scary, like it will be terrifying to even fight them. Holy shit.

bud

brandonh83 said:
Holy shit that footage was fucking awesome. These enemies are extremely creative in their actions and behaviorisms and they actually look dangerous and scary, like it will be terrifying to even fight them. Holy shit.

is it better than what you saw in van helsing.

TheExorzist said:

Do you actually understand what 'fiction' is?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yoboman said:
That's still fiction
It is. But do you finally understand why I'm disappointed with the direction the series is going?

I mean, I loved the MGS1 storyline because I really had the feeling that this events could have happen somewere. But because the series is going more and more anime-like, this imagination is destroyed. And I don't like that. That's all I want to say.

Darkpen

Banned
TheExorzist said:
As Yoboman and Pureauthor have already said, its still fiction. Fiction is fiction.

I mean, do you consider Rainbow Six to be real? Just because the book (and while we're at it, the games) is grounded in reality, that doesn't mean its real. The events that take place in the book didn't happen in real life. There may be similarities or coincidences, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. In the end, its fiction, not reality, not a record of true events, fiction, as in entertainment.

Kojima tries to explain everything that needs explanation, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Metal Gear is fiction or reality. This argument shouldn't even be happening, let alone on neoGAF, of all places.

Yoboman

TheExorzist said:
It is. But do you finally understand why I'm disappointed with the direction the series is going?

I mean, I loved the MGS1 storyline because I really had the feeling that this events could have happen somewere. But because the series is going more and more anime-like, this imagination is destroyed. And I don't like that. That's all I want to say.
MGS4 is the outcome of those events. The bosses were always wacky in MGS, but the main story of the Patriots and the world devolving into a PMC run world still has that realistic conspiracy theory like edge to it. Don't get worked up over the boss characters, they were NEVER realistic. Period.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Darkpen said:
Kojima tries to explain everything that needs explanation, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Metal Gear is fiction or reality. This argument shouldn't even be happening, let alone on neoGAF, of all places.
:lol
With all my respect, but a little fanboy won't tell me what I have to do. Speak, I'll stay. :D

Darkpen

Banned
TheExorzist said:

lol

Have you ever played Kojima's other games? Or seen them? Heard about them? Its always been like this.

What Kojima does best, and what grounds his games in reality, is the fact that he incorporates real-world issues, whether it was nuclear holocaust of MG1, the idea of a solution to a fictional oil-crisis of MG2, a return to the principles of MG1 in MGS1 but with a theme on genes and life, MGS2 reflecting MGS1's success as well as commentary on government intervention and control over the internet technology and information control, and MGS3 going back to the cold war where the idea of political control and nuclear war started.

They've always been grounded in reality, but they've never been meant to be an imitation of reality. If you want reality, go read the Bourne books, or play Splinter Cell. Go read some Tom Clancy or something, they're both entertaining and filled with "reality," the kind that you so obviously enjoy.

GTFO

Darkpen

Banned
Yoboman said:
MGS4 is the outcome of those events. The bosses were always wacky in MGS, but the main story of the Patriots and the world devolving into a PMC run world still has that realistic conspiracy theory like edge to it. Don't get worked up over the boss characters, they were NEVER realistic. Period.
Exactly what he said.

Why make a game if you aren't going to go all out and crazy with giant biomechanical things that can do crazy shit? Games are meant to be games, and if anything, Kojima's games seem to express as much. While there's much reality in the ideas that are being expressed, that doesn't mean that the bosses (or heck, if a game's grounded in reality, there shouldn't even be bosses, and gunfights/fisticuffs would all there would be) have to be like... normal humans.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yoboman said:
Well, well. We're getting close. ;)
I wouldn't say that the boss character never were realistic. MGS1 had a couple of realistic bosses. Ocelot or sniper wolf for instance. Even fatman and Solidus in MGS2 weren't unreal. But in MGS3 they simply were all kind of wacky. And it looks like he will continue like this.

@DarkPen: Stop quoting my posts. I won't answer it anyway.

Darkpen

Banned
TheExorzist said:
I wouldn't say that the boss character never were realistic. MGS1 had a couple of realistic bosses. Ocelot or sniper wolf for instance. Even fatman and Solidus in MGS2 weren't unreal. But in MGS3 they simply were all kind of wacky. And it looks like he will continue like this.

oh the hilarity

MGS3 in general was filled to the brim with supernatural and insane, over-the-top action. If anything, MGS4 looks like its bringing gamers back to the "reality" of MGS 1 and 2, but with biomechanical giants and psychics.

One could assume that MGS3 was more of an interpretation of what happened in the 1960s, rather than what really happened, but that's merely an argument that people who dislike how unrealistic the MGS games have gotten tend to bring up.

If anything, remember how "realistic" the MGS3 trailers were making the game seem? It was all about survival, and eating animals raw, but in the end, the game felt more "gamey" than it did anything else, with animals turning into floating/spinning ration-things, and the whole deal with utilizing a backpack that can hold massive amounts of gear and food.

Somehow, I think that MGS4 will be very much the same, especially with recent showings of the gear floating above the ground. If anything, they seem to be quite frank and upfront about it, more than last time. The gameplay gives off a gimmicky vibe, but its always been like that. "Sneaking" has always been a gimmick in some ways, while shooters were the norm.

Yoboman

TheExorzist said:

I don't see how so... MGS3 was flat out wacky, everything was supernatural. I didn't mind it, but it's hardly the same as these bosses. They might look wacky, but as far as explanation for it goes, it's no more far out than a cyborg ninja or a Metal Gear. They can be explained by the technology present in the Metal Gear verse.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Darkpen said:
oh the hilarity

MGS3 in general was filled to the brim with supernatural and insane, over-the-top action. If anything, MGS4 looks like its bringing gamers back to the "reality" of MGS 1 and 2, but with biomechanical giants and psychics.
I can't belive it, you are really able to talk normal. :)
Look, I don't complain about some biomechanical giants - that's not just easy to explain, it is a part of MGS. I am just comlaining about stupid and unreal characters because I don't see a purpose in them. For example: Why The End had to be a guy who's already dead and just come back to live to fight against Snake? Why couldn't he just be normal veteran who is superb with the sniper rifle? Would that have destroyed something in the MGS-universe? I don't think so. Same thing with vamp. Why inculde a vampire in the game? Why is the whole cobra squad THAT wacky? I don't get the point of this. It's just stupid and destroys the aspect I was talking about. Only Ocelot's wacky arm is directly connected to the storyline. All of this other things are not. Kojima could have done it without and noone of you would have even recognize the difference. At many points it really seemed to me Kojima just made them that unreal, so he doesn't have to think how to make original bossfights against realistic bosses.

Ok, after proper viewing of scans and the new trailer.. I beg to ask, when will ZOE3 be released?

Raging Raven (was it?) from the bottom down is a near carbon copy of Jehuty. But eh, They look alright.

Ceb

Bebpo said:
Actually that's Wolf's sharp fucking tail that cuts dudes in half, which she has in addition to her sniper rifle, thigh machine turret, and some type of ball (bomb?) ;P

Err, no. The group who got sliced in half were standing on the other side of that bulldozer.

TheExorzist said:
Look, I don't complain about some biomechanical giants - that's not just easy to explain, it is a part of MGS. I am just comlaining about stupid and unreal characters because I don't see a purpose in them. For example: Why The End had to be a guy who's already dead and just come back to live to fight against Snake? Why couldn't he just be normal veteran who is superb with the sniper rifle? Would that have destroyed something in the MGS-universe? I don't think so. Same thing with vamp. Why inculde a vampire in the game? Why is the whole cobra squad THAT wacky? I don't get the point of this. It's just stupid and destroys the aspect I was talking about. Only Ocelot's wacky arm is directly connected to the storyline. All of this other things are not. Kojima could have done it without and noone of you would have even recognize the difference. At many points it really seemed to me Kojima just made them that unreal, so he doesn't have to think how to make original bossfights against realistic bosses.

So, do you like MGS games? cause every single boss besides ocelot and a few others are pretty wacky. Did you play the first game? A guy controlling things with his mind? Realistic?

I love the over the top boss battles!

Darkpen

Banned
TheExorzist said:
I can't believe it, you just admitted that MGS is fictional. Hell hath frozen.

For one, the Cobra Unit is "that wacky" because that's how Kojima designed them. They served no other purpose in the game than to be cannon fodder for Snake, but for good reason.

You point out Vamp and say he's pointless, yet you point out Ocelot's arm and say that at least that's important. You seem to miss the point of Vamp's significance. Everything that happened in MGS2 was tightly interwoven. If you payed attention, Stillman, Fatman, and Vamp were all part of the same church explosion that happened years ago prior to the game's events. There are plenty of plot holes that need to be filled, and based on the E3 trailer, it seems that Vamp's supernatural traits will be explained.

EDIT: also, he's not a vampire, he's a bisexual bloodsucking freak.

Master Z

I just watched the video. These bosses are insane! How the fuck are we supposed to fight these things? Damn this game is going to be crazy.

bud

i think what he's trying to say is that mgs1 was the most straightforward game of the series as it didn't feature characters that were too wacky. i somewhat agree with him but characters like vamp atleast had a story and were relevant to the plot, whereas the cobra unit in mgs3 wasn't and was basically just there to be fought against.

MCD

Master Z said:
I just watched the video. These bosses are insane! How the fuck are we supposed to fight these things? Damn this game is going to be crazy.

He is not alone, along with Raiden, Snake got Otacon by his side.

never underestimate Otacon, the man made Metal Gear after all.

62xte9k.jpg

Yoboman

McDragon said:
He is not alone, along with Raiden, Snake got Otacon by his side.

never underestimate Otacon, the man made Metal Gear after all.

62xte9k.jpg
No he didn't, Metal Gear was made by Granin

Top Bottom