• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: THE PHANTOM PAIN - E3 2014 Trailer (jp) [up: English]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I thought few sites mentioned there were some story element from that 30 minute demo that is a big spoiler?

I don't think I can talk about anything (or at least I'm unsure enough to keep my mouth shut) but I didn't learn anything I didn't already know during the 30 minute demo. At least not storywise.

Palpable

Which begs the question, though I'm sure it has been asked: Who the Hell is Skull-Face?! Obviously he knows Big Boss in some personal-manner... I wonder if he's a former student of The Boss? Ground Zeroes loading screens specifically mentioned that Big Boss was the LAST student of The Boss...

Could Skull-Face be another student of The Boss we weren't allowed to know about? Could this overbearing theme of REVENGE include him? That is, could Skull-Face know and hate Big Boss for killing The Boss and being her "best" student?

The cassette tape in question just infuriates me, if only because it makes plain to listeners that Skull-Face isn't some Lone Ranger-mask wearing freak... He has history with Big Boss and (probably) The Boss. What if he was the first attempt at avenging Her and the world she wanted?

That is, Skull-Face is a former student of The Boss, learns she's been killed, goes forward with an idea to overthrow CIPHER (i.e.; Status-Quo). He doesn't really succeed, since he's focused on the person, not the stage (figuratively speaking)...

So Big Boss finally reaches a breaking-point, and obviously he goes with Skull-Face, since their goals are similar (to preserve the thought and philosophy of The Boss). But there's obviously a problem here, since Skull-Face must hate the man who took-down The Boss. But he plays along since, well, "Why not?" There's nothing to gain going against Big Boss and the Diamond Dogs... And plus, Skull-Face, assuming he was close with The Boss, would know that Operation: Snake Eater was a ruse for the East, designed to keep the West in-control of the vast fortune of the Philosopher's Legacy.

That's assuming Skull Face knew The Boss, though. Remember, there's an 11 year gap between MGS3 and GZ. In that time they could have known one another. We don't really know what Skull Face's end game is, which makes it difficult to predict what his motivations are. All we know for sure is that he hates Zero and he's someone that will do some heinous shit to get what he's after.

I thought few sites mentioned there were some story element from that 30 minute demo that is a big spoiler?

According to YongYea it's because the demo had story spoilers.

Yong is wrong. There were no story spoilers that weren't shown in the E3 2013 trailer (rescue Miller). The reason they didn't show it is because (according to Sean Eyestone of KP) Kojima wants to recreate that 'word of mouth' buzz that used to happen in past E3's before the whole livestreaming and whatnot. He says it in the most recent English Kojima Station.

The only spoiler, if you can even call it that, is that Ocelot lets Big Boss know he has 3 in game days to rescue Miller from the Soviets in Afghanistan.

JayEH

That's assuming Skull Face knew The Boss, though. Remember, there's an 11 year gap between PW and GZ. In that time they could have known one another. We don't really know what Skull Face's end game is, which makes it difficult to predict what his motivations are. All we know for sure is that he hates Zero and he's someone that will do some heinous shit to get what

I think you meant Snake Eater not PW :p

PW and GZ are only a couple months apart.

That's assuming Skull Face knew The Boss, though. Remember, there's an 11 year gap between PW and GZ. In that time they could have known one another. We don't really know what Skull Face's end game is, which makes it difficult to predict what his motivations are. All we know for sure is that he hates Zero and he's someone that will do some heinous shit to get what he's after.

Truth. We are still in-the-dark about Skull-Face... We know he's a heavy player in the last-leg of Big Boss' story, but we still don't know how he'll fit in.

But going off what you're saying... Since Skull-Face clearly hates Zero/CIPHER, would it be that hard to assume that Skull-Face knows what happened between The Boss and Big Boss? I'm stalwart in my mindset that Skull-Face (identity unknown) is connected to The Boss in some form... It's the only reason I can see Big Boss working with him, since that's a connection on an extremely emotional level (especially because Major Zero thought it right to see-through on The Boss' "vision," which was not quite-right in Big Boss' eyes, or eye, rather) that BB would jump-on, since there are few that knew The Boss (since BB killed her unit and whatnot).

Basically, regardless of Miler and the Diamond Dogs, Big Boss goes for the emotional reward, working with Skull-Face and securing the "right" vision of what The Boss wanted for the future of warfare and the Times...

Palpable

Truth. We are still in-the-dark about Skull-Face... We know he's a heavy player in the last-leg of Big Boss' story, but we still don't know how he'll fit in.

But going off what you're saying... Since Skull-Face clearly hates Zero/CIPHER, would it be that hard to assume that Skull-Face knows what happened between The Boss and Big Boss? I'm stalwart in my mindset that Skull-Face (identity unknown) is connected to The Boss in some form... It's the only reason I can see Big Boss working with him, since that's a connection on an extremely emotional level (especially because Major Zero thought it right to see-through on The Boss' "vision," which was not quite-right in Big Boss' eyes, or eye, rather) that BB would jump-on, since there are few that knew The Boss (since BB killed her unit and whatnot).

Basically, regardless of Miler and the Diamond Dogs, Big Boss goes for the emotional reward, working with Skull-Face and securing the "right" vision of what The Boss wanted for the future of warfare and the Times...

Knowing OF her is one thing, but knowing her personally is another. I have my doubts about them two having a personal affiliation, but Big Boss working with him for his own personal gain certainly may be true. This is essentially the point where Big Boss loses sight of The Boss's will.

Seems we simply have to wait for the game to come out. I'm very curious to see what Skull Face's motivation, end game is. Showing he and Big Boss working together is very odd considering how TPP is all about revenge since Skull Face & XOF were the ones that ripped MSF a new one.

Ragav

Banned
She remarked upon the actions taken by Snake when he proceeds to rub ashes onto his face. She said "Oh, he's doing what the Hindu's normally do."

I asked what the significance was. And apparently in Hindu tradition, when you are cremated, the practice is to disperse those ashes into oceans or rivers to 'release' the person's spirit in order for them to be free and in peace

Yes it common in hindu tradition to disperse those ashes into a river or ocean.

In other circumstances, for instance; if your friend/relative has been murdered, and you are to vow revenge then you would proceed by rubbing those ashes into your face

I don't know about this one but Aghori(devotees of Shiva) rub ashes of the dead all over their body

In a sense this ritual is a form of communication to the person that has been cremated, to inform them that they will have peace when revenge has been exacted. This form of practice may be present in other culture, that I'm not sure of.

Can anyone verify this?

Quote from yahooanswers

"The ash of any burnt object is not regarded as holy ash. Bhasma (the holy ash) is the ash from the homa (sacrificial fire) where special wood along with ghee and other herbs is offered as worship of the Lord. Or the deity is worshipped by pouring ash as abhisheka and is then distributed as bhasma.

Bhasma is generally applied on the forehead. Some apply it on certain parts of the body like the upper arms, chest etc. Some ascetics rub it all over the body. Many consume a pinch of it each time they receive it.

The word bhasma means, "that by which our sins are destroyed and the Lord is remembered.” Bha implied bhartsanam ("to destroy") and sma implies smaranam ("to remember"). The application of bhasma therefore signifies destruction of the evil and remembrance of the divine. Bhasma is called vibhuti (which means "glory") as it gives glory to one who applies it and raksha (which means a source of protection) as it protects the wearer from ill health and evil, by purifying him or her"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibhuti

kotor22

Looks like Kojima retweeted that Yong guys trailer analysis, the only new thing I got from it was probably the shape of the struts but thats probably one of the customizable things.

dc89

Maybe someone should make a MGS V theory and discussion thread :p

We're going to be discussing this for quite some time!

GXHxIDw.jpg

Found this on Reddit. Loved the picture of Captain Ginyu.
XD

(Theory) What if Skull Face and Big Boss body swapped?

Ateron

He doesn't betray Big Boss, they both go back to work for Cipher.

Then why is he siding with snake in MG2? They both went back to work with cypher, but BB's intentions where to get back at them when he had a chance. He got offered FOXHOUND as some sort of peace offering and Miller joined him, yes. We don't know Miller's true intentions, but BB was trying to use FOXHOUND as leverage and bid his time until he could find himself in a position to strike back again at Cipher. Miller sides with the player and "helps" him defeat BB. I can't see that as nothing else than treason, honestly. That's why Miller got replaced by Grey Fox as second in command, because they didn't share the same views anymore and became enemies, right?

Edit: Unless he was too, pretending to help Snake. This is all very confusing, we know BB sent Snake (a rookie) on such a big mission in hopes that he would never make it that far, his intentions were that he would fail. He judged Snake wrong and he ended his plans. In MG2, BB is not affiliated with Snake anymore and Miller backs Snake , maybe that was enough reason for Liquid kill Miller prior to MGS1, maybe as payback for him helping Snake kill BB and deprive him of his "revenge". Or maybe it's like you say, Miller was a sleeper agent and wasn't helping snake in MG2 but instead, keeping tabs on him. I don't think we are given enough information to assume which is it, so I guess it could go either way. Damn, I'd hate to live in that universe, everyone is a triple-crosser lol

eso76

although, to be honest, the whole FOX - XOF / Kojima - Joakim etc. had me wondering if that was the real BB.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Zorro = Fox was a good catch, though. I don't see how some posters would think that wasn't intentional.

Raynes

Chico is Theon Greyjoy. Skull Face is Ramsay Snow. Quiet is Ygritte. Solid Snake is Jon Snow. Big Boss is Stannis. Kaz is Davos. Eli is Joffrey. Ocelot is Jaimie Lannister. Code Talker is the Raven.

MattyG

Banned
I just watched the trailer again, and I realized that I somehow missed that last scene where BB is grappling with the Diamond Dogs soldiers. This scene kind of adds more weight to my mind control theory, because of the fourth soldier BB shoots. He's just shuffling by, seemingly in a trance. And this may be a stretch, but the other three that are holding BB don't look like they're moving normally. They almost look like zombies that would grapple you in Deadrising or something, not soldiers attempting to restrain someone. I still don't know how well my theory fits in the canon, but it still kind of seems plausible.

I just watched the trailer again, and I realized that I somehow missed that last scene where BB is grappling with the Diamond Dogs soldiers. This scene kind of adds more weight to my mind control theory, because of the fourth soldier BB shoots. He's just shuffling by, seemingly in a trance. And this may be a stretch, but the other three that are holding BB don't look like they're moving normally. They almost look like zombies that would grapple you in Deadrising or something, not soldiers attempting to restrain someone. I still don't know how well my theory fits in the canon, but it still kind of seems plausible.

Nanomachines. lololol.

The alarm going off, is it perhaps somebody launching a nuke from an MG? And Snake's desperately trying to stop it. Perhaps it's a coup from within DD.

Also does anybody have a count of how many organisations BB has started? Reminds me of shell companies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I reckon it's Kid Mantis' doing too.

RangerBAD

Spaghetti

The whole "protagonist switch" thing from MGS2 basically haunts the fanbase to this day.

They have to prepare for every eventuality.
thing is though, it fucked with kojima as much as it fucked with us. the backlash against raiden really killed his ability to mindfuck.

i remember theories for mgs3, mpo, mgs4, pw, gz, and they were all the same bullshit of "you're really playing as X character", "this character is REALLY this character" or "it's all a simulation" that we're seeing now.

MattyG

Banned
Nope, not body swapping. The Face Off example was more interesting.
Yeah, I'll take a face swap plot twist over some mystical body swap type deal any day.

I imagine if they did that it would be something like BB wakes up from the coma and tries to carry on where he left off, but everything he decides to do is suddenly awful and villainous. What the player doesn't know is that BB is actually Skull Face with BB's face. It could be a meta way of saying "you control this character, but he still has his own thoughts and motivations" or something.

I've figured it out. Everything happening in MGS5 actually takes place after MGS4. Big Boss is actually Sunny.
5yvj8o.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Which begs the question, though I'm sure it has been asked: Who the Hell is Skull-Face?! Obviously he knows Big Boss in some personal-manner... I wonder if he's a former student of The Boss? Ground Zeroes loading screens specifically mentioned that Big Boss was the LAST student of The Boss...

Could Skull-Face be another student of The Boss we weren't allowed to know about? Could this overbearing theme of REVENGE include him? That is, could Skull-Face know and hate Big Boss for killing The Boss and being her "best" student?

The cassette tape in question just infuriates me, if only because it makes plain to listeners that Skull-Face isn't some Lone Ranger-mask wearing freak... He has history with Big Boss and (probably) The Boss. What if he was the first attempt at avenging Her and the world she wanted?

If he is then it's basically MPO all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom