• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV The Phantom Pain - One Year Later

daveo42

Banned
One of the best playing games ever with some of the widest variety of options to approach any objective in gaming ever. Damn near masterclass on how to properly handle both stealth and action in a single game and the game can seamlessly switch between the two at the drop of a hat. No joke, but how the game played pushed me forward the entire game.

Sad the story, Mother Base and the open world never lived up to the level set by the gameplay.

Tjamato88

Still haven't played more than two or three hours of this game. Eventually I need to get back to it but my backlog is about 100 games long at this point.

Raynes

Good gameplay. But the game as a whole with that plot was a complete pile of shit.
  • We were deceived into thinking we would get a story of
    Big Boss' descent into madness
    . Promotions lied to us and sold us a game we never asked for. It's false advertising and it's out of order.
  • We got half a game. Open-world is not an excuse to cut the length of the game in half, fuck that.
  • Our main character probably spoke 2 lines in the whole game. All the budget was wasted on Kiefer.
  • Fresh out of a coma after 9 years, Snake's character model did not age, just a few scars and a pony-tail.
  • Some of the most interesting interactions were restricted to tapes instead of cut-scenes. Players should be given the option to either watch the cutscene or listen to it whilst playing the game.
  • Bosses were
    fodder zombies, Metal Gear, man on fire and Quiet. These were all shit in comparison to what past boss fights we got in MGS games. MGS games need human bosses with dialogue and personality.

Chola

Banned
Thief allows for mantling and climbing all around the levels, not to mention the multiple speeds you can move at or the leaning. It took until MGSV for Kojima's series to allow a comparably fluid traversal of the levels. And that's simply talking about the core controls, as for the gameplay itself the number of tools at your disposal and the mechanics in use make the gameplay loop anything but simplistic. This is perfectly explained at length in dozens of the essays published at http://sneakybastards.net/blog/.

And let's also ignore the thousands of FMs, hundreds of them being truly superb, making the original Thiefs two of the most replayable games in history.

This isn't an argument you can win, mate. As I said, not that Snake Eater doesn't have enough merits making it one of the absolute best games in history.

you can come up with some insane stuff in MGS3 as well, thing is that none of them are actually required to play. Hell, there are player out there who never used or know about CQC in MGS3.

Still the game of the generation. This gen I feel I have been playing the same games over and over, graphics are nice but gameplay enhancements have been hard to come by. In come MGSV and shows how all third person action games should be played. Mechanically it's the greatest game ever made.

It's a shame that the pacing, story, bosses and amazing setpieces were a mess. Which is insane because all those aspects were what made all the past MGS ganes a masterpiece. It's such a strange issue to have where you go from awkward controls but incredible design to impeccable controls but awkward design. If MGSV was even close to the past MGS games in its design it would hands down be the greatest game ever made.

But instead it's the greatest game that's still a disappointment. Still it's gameplay alone makes it stand out so easily in a sea of games this gen that haven't really done much. So easily game of the generation, but not the best MGS game.

Javier23

Banned
you can come up with some insane stuff in MGS3 as well, thing is that none of them are actually required to play. Hell, there are player out there who never used or know about CQC in MGS3.
Indeed, as I said, the MGS series remains the earliest example I can remember of a series built around emergent gameplay in consoles.

justjim89

People saying "The story is underwhelming and the ending is bad" undermine the real core conceptual problems with the game.

The story doesn't make it so you go to the same eight locations for 60 hours.

The story doesn't make it so that there are only four or five objective types spread out through the whole game in main missions and side missions. Fulton this thing, shoot this thing, trail this dude and then fulton or shoot him, or blow this thing up.

The story doesn't make it so the boss encounters and huge combat set pieces are all completely fucked. The skulls were awful and the mission where you have to fight off the tank brigade with Quiet is one of the most infuriating times I've ever had with a game, because it breaks it's own rules for the sake of a lame combat encounter.

Speaking of, the story has nothing to do with how Quiet is maybe Kojima at his most misogynistic. Every time she was on screen I was disgusted. I don't care what kind of lame ass story justification there is, Quiet is there and is the way she is because Kojima is a gross horny old dude.

The story has nothing to do with the fact that there were locations and scenes teased in trailers that were nowhere in the final game. Where's the return to Guantanamo? Where's the scene of Big Boss covered in blood screaming? Where's the scene of Big Boss walking through the burning wreckage of a village? It wasn't enough to show all of the cool story moments in the trailers beforehand, you literally had to make up scenes that weren't in the game?

The story has nothing to do with having to randomly repeat the slow ass tutorial beat for beat just to see "The Truth."

The story has nothing to do with how the fulton mechanic and the need to use it takes any and all tension out of the stealth.

MGSV is a bad game that controls well. I wanted to love it so bad, but it broke my heart. Ground Zeroes is a fucking mess for a host of reasons, but I'd still call it a better game than V.

valkyre

MGS4's third act where you tail a man to his headquarters.

You can simply tail him, taking out the guards as he does. Rush on ahead because you know where you're going. Get lost and find yourself exploring the area in search for him. Decide not to take the guards out and see what happens. See the guards arrest the guy and then let them take you to more enemies, thus taking them all out at once. Avoid the armoured trucks patrolling or take them on.

Is that enough freedom for you?

Trying to even suggest that MGSV doesnt ofter a VASTLY superior range of tools/gameplay mechanics/level design to tackles your objectives in comparison with previous entries in the series, is absolutely, utterly ridiculous.

Bossking

Banned
Looking back, it's amazing just how completely irrelevant MGSV is to the overall plot of the Metal Gear series. It's almost entirely skippable. At the very least, Ground Zeroes explains how Big Boss was sent into a coma and why characters like Chico and Paz aren't around for MG1. All you really get from V is some trivia.
Big Boss had a body double. Miller lost some limbs. Liquid starred in a Lord of the Flies knock-off and met Psycho Mantis at a young age. Huey did everything wrong
. None of it really adds up to anything substantial. If you're following Metal Gear for the story of Big Boss and Solid Snake, you could play Ground Zeroes, skip V, and go straight to MG1 without losing anything other than an explanation for
how Big Boss survived MG1.

While the controls themselves were smooth and tight, I was constantly disappointed by the actual gameworld. I didn't care for most of the base layouts and still feel like Camp Omega was the best designed base to infiltrate. It would've been nice if there was some variety in things you could encounter out on the field. Maybe some villagers or more vicious animals that pose a threat. The world sure was open, but there wasn't a whole lot to do, and the fact that you have to redo so many missions means that eventually, you stop caring about all the sneaking possibilities and just go for the fastest, most optimized route. By Eliminate Tank Unit 8, I had a go-to routine of just rocket punching everyone from afar, then running around fultoning everyone. Could I have done something more unique? Sure, but I did all the fun stuff 20 missions ago. Now I just want it done and out of the way. More filler doesn't make a better game.

People saying "The story is underwhelming and the ending is bad" undermine the real core conceptual problems with the game.

The story doesn't make it so that there are only four or five objective types spread out through the whole game in main missions and side missions. Fulton this thing, shoot this thing, trail this dude and then fulton or shoot him, or blow this thing up.

The story doesn't make it so the boss encounters and huge combat set pieces are all completely fucked. The skulls were awful and the mission where you have to fight off the tank brigade with Quiet is one of the most infuriating times I've ever had with a game, because it breaks it's own rules for the sake of a lame combat encounter.

Speaking of, the story has nothing to do with how Quiet is maybe Kojima at his most misogynistic. Every time she was on screen I was disgusted. I don't care what kind of lame ass story justification there is, Quiet is there and is the way she is because Kojima is a gross horny old dude.

The story has nothing to do with the fact that there were locations and scenes teased in trailers that were nowhere in the final game. Where's the return to Guantanamo? Where's the scene of Big Boss covered in blood screaming? Where's the scene of Big Boss walking through the burning wreckage of a village? It wasn't enough to show all of the cool story moments in the trailers beforehand, you literally had to make up scenes that weren't in the game?

The story has nothing to do with having to randomly repeat the slow ass tutorial beat for beat just to see "The Truth."

The story has nothing to do with how the fulton mechanic and the need to use it takes any and all tension out of the stealth.

MGSV is a bad game that controls well. I wanted to love it so bad, but it broke my heart. Ground Zeroes is a fucking mess for a host of reasons, but I'd still call it a better game than V.

Mechanically the game is perfect.

But I agree with your complaints. There was a lot of stuff wrong with some of the more broader game systems and encounters.

Fking hated the silly upgrade system.

Probably the worst boss fights in the entire series too. Well not probably, definitely. Total ass, and actually dumb.

But the stealth action and fighting and sneaking through grunts was sublime. The core gameplay was near perfect if not perfect.

Gameplay was a masterpiece. The story and pacing was a bit lackluster unfortunately. If the story was on par with either MGS 1 or 3 this would be my favorite game in the series.

Im so frustrated that this game didn't have great boss fights.

Where's the fist fight boss.
Quiet was a joke compared to the end
An ocelot style pistol duel would be awesome.
Etc.

Chola

Banned
Good gameplay. But the game as a whole with that plot was a complete pile of shit.
    . Promotions lied to us and sold us a game we never asked for. It's false advertising and it's out of order.
  • We got half a game. Open-world is not an excuse to cut the length of the game in half, fuck that.
  • Our main character probably spoke 2 lines in the whole game. All the budget was wasted on Kiefer.
  • Fresh out of a coma after 9 years, Snake's character model did not age, just a few scars and a pony-tail.
  • Some of the most interesting interactions were restricted to tapes instead of cut-scenes. Players should be given the option to either watch the cutscene or listen to it whilst playing the game.
  • Bosses were
    fodder zombies, Metal Gear, man on fire and Quiet. These were all shit in comparison to what past boss fights we got in MGS games. MGS games need human bosses with dialogue and personality.

• We did see that, its not explicitly shoved down our throat
  • 43 mission + Important side ops is a half a game now?
  • we don't have any evidence of that?
  • Pay attention to Character model during prologue, he is a coma patient not an AIDS patient
  • Asking too much
  • They were disappointing

Ricky_R

The superb core gameplay wasn't enough for me to overcome the tedious and repetive gameplay, sadly.

Gameplay was ace though. Some of the most awesome mechanics.

I have a hard time sympathizing with anyone who gets duped by video game marketing. Especially when we're talking about Kojima here, a person who has done this sort of thing before multiple times in the past. Also, none of the promotions lied to you. They were just super vague and unclear. None of them outright said the game was about Big Boss and his downfall.

MGS2 marketing replaced Raiden with Snake in various trailers, and you're telling me that The Phantom Pain was falsely advertised? Crazy talk.

I wanted to share my opinion on why MGSV's ending gives us exactly what we wanted in regards to Big Boss' downfall. HEAVY SPOILERS:

MGSV's ending leaves a lot open to interpretation in my personal opinion.
How I always saw it was Venom initially being happy with his role as BB. Then after the time skip the bloodied version of himself shows him what atrocities he's committed under the image of BB. I always assumed that the Intrude tape was something along the lines of BB telling Venom to die for the cause.
This works in my head because I always saw Venom as the parrallel to The Boss. I think a lot of things suggest this in the game like the star of Bethlehem during the hospital scene, his speech in the nuclear disarmament ending reflecting The Boss' will etc.

I also consider this game to show how far BB has fallen. A lot of people think we didn't see the fall of BB in TPP but in my head we definitely did. Him having no real objections to civilians being used as human shields and him using Venom as a means to an end. He became exactly what he hated. He hides behind the scenes like the US did in MGS3 whilst using his best soldier to take the fall in the same way that the US used The Boss. I found it all really subtle and it perfectly illustrates BB as a morally corrupt character.

I like it a lot better than the "tragic fall" Darth Vader style of wrongdoing that I thought we were going to get. I feel like this was much more realistic. It also shows the shades of gray in the series because many people don't think we saw BB become a villain at all. It's all about perspective but from mine BB became a hypocrite and hardly represents the hero he once was.

Again, this is all how I saw it in my head but I think it works quite nicely.

Dremark

Banned
These two statements don't work together.

And while it's fully debatable that classic "story telling" was never MGS's strong point, story did used to be the focus. And with TPP it simply wasn't there at all most of the time.

I've always enjoyed the gameplay, but it's never been the greatest in terms of intuitive control schemes for example.

TPP is the first MGS where the gameplay really took centre stage as an industry leading system. It's truly beautiful. Before that we've had some incredible gameplay moments and absurdly brilliant innovations (mostly forth wall breaking craziness and other weird Kojima genius), but there's a very good reason why people exploded about the incredible gameplay in GZ and TPP: it was simpy a massive jump forwards.

I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on that. Every game in the main series from MGS2 on game you an unprecedented amount of control and it all felt intuitive and natural. You had a ton of different ways to deal with things in Metal Gear Solid 2 including a cover system before it was popularized. 3 Built on that with CQC, 4 again branched that out further and added crouch walking. I can't even think of anything off hand the 5 added that wasn't there prior, it (at least mostly) just refined what was already there.

MGSV was certainly a step up for 4 in that regard bit it wasn't the massive leap you're claiming it is. Like most of the other things in 5 it was building what was already there.

If people didn't notice this, it's likely because the earlier games were short and lacked content.

Story was/is complete, it ends with Cypher's death at the end of the first chapter.

Cypher dies at the end of MGS4. I think you mean Skullface.

horkrux

One year later and the game is not installed on my harddrive anymore. I feel like it's still there, but every time I look, it's... it's gone! Dammit.

I remember how much I was pissed to learn that you HAD to build an FOB and that people could steal your resources and shit. But with most things you don't know, I was totally of the wrong mind about this and when I finally played to that point in the game, I just built the damn thing and never looked back. The game had serious legs thanks to this. It's like an advanced version of VR training, but with actual positive and negative consequences on the rest of your playthrough.

Such a great game. And it's honestly the MGS game I've thought about the most, so Kojima must have done something right with Venom etc. As someone had already put it in a different thread, there is a certain melancholy to all this. It's definitely the game with the most glaring flaws in the series, but those were heavily outweighted.

Greddleok

• Lol. I think you've been spending too much time in the No Man's Sky thread.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
  • Bosses were

So I literally just beat this game 5 mins ago after playing it for about 4 months. You can see my ongoing thoughts on the last page of the official thread in community. In short, the game is fun but gets repetitive and too easy too quick.

However, posts like these (or the guy before that said he didnt even play chapter 2, wtf) make less fuckin sense to me than the actual game itself.

For one, this game is not false advertising. We all knew it would explain the link of how the Big Boss we know from pre-MGS4 and the MGS4 Big Boss are the same person.

Two, the game is incredibly long even just for chapter 1. If you do all the shit in chapter 1 and even spend a bit of time on the base, it's minimum 40 hours. That's a long fuckin game.

Three, I wrote this in the OT but, Keifer speaks a million fuckin lines in this game. From cutscenes to tapes, he genuinely doesn't shut the fuck up.

Four, the aging of Snake in general is a giant plot thing so I'll avoid touching it.

Five, I see what you mean about putting a lot..A LOT of the story/lore into the tapes, but I actually liked that style rather than being hit over the head with 1.5 hour cutscenes. I listened to all the tapes during gameplay. All of the dead time in the game traveling actually made listening to the tapes great. The tapes are a must to understand the story.

Six, the bosses in these games never made sense. Aside from MGS1, the boss designs in these games never felt like real action game bosses.I liked this version of the big fights way more, though there could def be more.

In short, all of these games are absolutely fucking terrible from a gameplay perspective, but MGS3 some how shines above them all due to the incredible writing. Otherwise, I got through this one (even though I've known the ending since launch) just to see the crazy shit Kojima does.

Ocelot doing anything at all would have been awesome.

Yeah wtf. I think this game had a shit ton of content hit the cutting room floor. There's no way the scenes mentioned earlier from preview trailers were made just for the trailers.

There's no way ocelot was intentionally supposed to do fucking nothing.

I want answers kojiiiiiimmmmmaaaaaaa!!!!

MGSV is an incomplete game. End of story.

muteki

It was a long slog to the finish but I did it. It had its moments but all in all I didn't care for it much. So much wasted potential.

If I could go back I think I could tell my past self some things that would greatly increase my enjoyment of the game (no side missions, don't get excited about this, or that...) but oh well. No urge to play it again any time soon.

Revven

I enjoyed the game enough to not just Platinum it but also 100% it. The core gameplay (ignoring some of the annoying mission design) was just too good for me to not 100% the game.

I also mildly enjoyed the story but only because at the time, I didn't think too hard about it. But reflecting on it now, I definitely see the problems with it; especially Chapter 2 (I didn't like Chapter 2 either when I finished it). There needed to be more to fill in the gap leading up to the final story mission in the game. Going from 42 to 46 is just as jarring as going from 45 to 46. It just doesn't work.

However, I really, really liked Huey in this game. His character arc was probably the only thing fully fleshed out and realized. It's sad that's probably the only "complete" thing you can pinpoint in this game's story, though. :/

Dremark

Banned
I disagree. MGSV is a completed product just like any other major game.

I love this game as much as anyone, but I don't see how it can be argued it's a complete package with Mission 51 missing and zero resolution given to it's subplots.

Aside from that I don't see an argument against it though.

Bossking

Banned
I wanted to share my opinion on why MGSV's ending gives us exactly what we wanted in regards to Big Boss' downfall. HEAVY SPOILERS:

MGSV's ending leaves a lot open to interpretation in my personal opinion.
How I always saw it was Venom initially being happy with his role as BB. Then after the time skip the bloodied version of himself shows him what atrocities he's committed under the image of BB. I always assumed that the Intrude tape was something along the lines of BB telling Venom to die for the cause.
This works in my head because I always saw Venom as the parrallel to The Boss. I think a lot of things suggest this in the game like the star of Bethlehem during the hospital scene, his speech in the nuclear disarmament ending reflecting The Boss' will etc.

I also consider this game to show how far BB has fallen. A lot of people think we didn't see the fall of BB in TPP but in my head we definitely did. Him having no real objections to civilians being used as human shields and him using Venom as a means to an end. He became exactly what he hated. He hides behind the scenes like the US did in MGS3 whilst using his best soldier to take the fall in the same way that the US used The Boss. I found it all really subtle and it perfectly illustrates BB as a morally corrupt character.

I like it a lot better than the "tragic fall" Darth Vader style of wrongdoing that I thought we were going to get. I feel like this was much more realistic. It also shows the shades of gray in the series because many people don't think we saw BB become a villain at all. It's all about perspective but from mine BB became a hypocrite and hardly represents the hero he once was.

Again, this is all how I saw it in my head but I think it works quite nicely.

My problem is that we never actually got to see that turn in Big Boss's character. Somewhere in between Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain, he turns into what you're describing, but it wasn't shown how. He just kind of became a jerk somewhere between games.

I still don't understand how, after building up a base for years with some of his finest comrades, after losing it all to a vicious attack that destroys everything he's created and killed his finest men and allies, an attack that sends him into a 9-year-long coma, Big Boss just does not care. He doesn't care that Huey betrayed him. He doesn't care that Skullface raped Paz or mutilated Chico and killed them both. He just wakes up, tells Ocelot to have his body double take care of things, and then goes to build a new base somewhere else because his arch rival Zero told him to. In just one game prior, this was a man getting into friendly naked shower fights with his buddy Kaz, talking about believing in Santa with Huey, and in many tapes he shows compassion, understanding, and kindness to pretty much every major character who joined MSF. But now, he just doesn't care, and we don't see why. You could argue maybe Paz's betrayal changed something in him, but Peace Walker Big Boss just came off from killing his mentor and was still the same lovable guy. I don't buy that shit one bit.

valkyre

Looking back, it's amazing just how completely irrelevant MGSV is to the overall plot of the Metal Gear series. It's almost entirely skippable. At the very least, Ground Zeroes explains how Big Boss was sent into a coma and why characters like Chico and Paz aren't around for MG1. All you really get from V is some trivia.
Big Boss had a body double. Miller lost some limbs. Liquid starred in a Lord of the Flies knock-off and met Psycho Mantis at a young age. Huey did everything wrong
. None of it really adds up to anything substantial. If you're following Metal Gear for the story of Big Boss and Solid Snake, you could play Ground Zeroes, skip V, and go straight to MG1 without losing anything other than an explanation for
how Big Boss survived MG1.

While the controls themselves were smooth and tight, I was constantly disappointed by the actual gameworld. I didn't care for most of the base layouts and still feel like Camp Omega was the best designed base to infiltrate. It would've been nice if there was some variety in things you could encounter out on the field. Maybe some villagers or more vicious animals that pose a threat. The world sure was open, but there wasn't a whole lot to do, and the fact that you have to redo so many missions means that eventually, you stop caring about all the sneaking possibilities and just go for the fastest, most optimized route. By Eliminate Tank Unit 8, I had a go-to routine of just rocket punching everyone from afar, then running around fultoning everyone. Could I have done something more unique? Sure, but I did all the fun stuff 20 missions ago. Now I just want it done and out of the way. More filler doesn't make a better game.

You are wrong about MGSV being entirely skippable and offering nothing new to the series.

I am really bored to go into the details because there are lots of them, but you are simply wrong.

Or you are so frustrated with the game that it short of made you see anything regarding it with a dose of bias or something. Pivotal characters of the series are fleshed out, their motives explained, others (like Zero) do a complete 180 on what we knew about, even the origins of technology that appeared in later MGS games is fleshed out in MGSV. Nevermind the fact that it bridges the series gap to the original Metal Gear, something that as it stood before MGSV, didnt make much sense.

If MGSV is entirely irrelevant, then i cant help but say pretty much the same for other entries in the series as well.

The hyperbole with this game is seriously strong. People are bitching about it having a ton of features and gameplay elements/depth as if you the player is forced or required to use these features. It is ridiculous really. People are mentioning MB micromanagement issues and other stuff as if the player is required to do that... this is just plain wrong. Seriously people should stop spreading such bs. The game does not ask you to do anything in MB other than upgrade your shit. The MB assigns personnel by default in best positions... now if you are OCD enough to want to spend time doing micromanagement, that is just your thing. And in case you do, the game offers you depth to do so in that regard. Why is that bad? Since when are extra options and gameplay depth a bad thing? You can finish MGSV with just 1 weapon. Actually even without any weapons. Should we remove all weapons because it has so many that it makes it problematic somehow? I consider complaints such as these ridiculous.

The game does not require the player to ever bother with MB micromanagement, or side op missions, or even remixed main missions that appear later in the game. You can get to the full complete end and watch the secret mission just by playing anything that is marked as Yellow in your mission list.

I disagree. MGSV is a completed product just like any other major game.

There's no way. You think kojima took MGS4 criticism to heart so badly he regressed all the way to basically having no cutscenes and a bunch of dialogue tapes?

If his next game has very few cutscenes, I might believe it. But I'd bet it's full of them.

Ocelot is a HUGE metal gear solid character. And his importance is strengthened with every game he is in... until V.

Why hire one of the industry's major voice actors for a character that literally doesn't do a damn thing?

There's no way we ended up with the game that kojima was aiming to create.

I love this game as much as anyone, but I don't see how it can be argued it's a complete package with Mission 51 missing and zero resolution given to it's subplots.

Aside from that I don't see an argument against it though.

Mission 51 was just planned DLC and/or the missing subplots were planned for an inevitable sequel.

There, I did it.

The only reason people are claiming it's unfinished is because we know for a fact that this was KojiPro's last Metal Gear game. We would all be singing different tunes if they were still working under Konami at this point.

There's no way. You think kojima took MGS4 criticism to heart so badly he regressed all the way to basically having no cutscenes and a bunch of dialogue tapes?

Yes, and it makes perfect sense. There is no gameplay flow to be gained from cutscenes. You can listen to the story and still play the game with the cassette tapes.

Everything about MGSV is about getting the player back into the action as fast as possible. The other Metal Gear games were the opposite.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Never forget ..

YZyWJz9.png

Zakalwe

Banned
The only reason people are claiming it's unfinished is because we know for a fact that this was KojiPro's last Metal Gear game. We would all be singing different tunes if they were still working under Konami at this point.

No. The reason most of us are calling it unfinished is that the entire second half of the game is mmo style filler grind content, and huge amounts of repetition.

Yes, and it makes perfect sense. There is no gameplay flow to be gained from cutscenes. You can listen to the story and still play the game with the cassette tapes.

Metal Gear Solid was never about this before. I'm all for games evolving, but the disappointment is valid.

Everything about MGSV is about getting the player back into the action as fast as possible. The other Metal Gear games were the opposite.

The helicopter says otherwise.

bbd23

after playing the series for the first time to get myself ready for its release its easily the worst metal gear solid game I have ever played and probably my most disappointing game purchase ever.

Kindekuma

Banned

If his next game has very few cutscenes, I might believe it. But I'd bet it's full of them.

Ocelot is a HUGE metal gear solid character. And his importance is strengthened with every game he is in... until V.

Why hire one of the industry's major voice actors for a character that literally doesn't do a damn thing?

There's no way we ended up with the game that kojima was aiming to create.

Okay, and you have proof of this? Kojima stated in very early interviews on the game that the game would feature less cutscenes and be more gameplay centric, Snake would be more subdued in his performance (literally watch the Kiefer Sutherland announcement), and Ocelot was created to be a neutral character to balance out character interactions. You're telling me after all this, that this still isn't what Kojima wanted?

The guy had been developing V since 2011, I think he knew what he wanted.

Mission 51 was just planned DLC and/or the missing subplots were planned for an inevitable sequel.

There, I did it.

There were problems with kojima's relationship with konami. Cutscenes were butchered. There were epic looking moments found only in some early trailers.
I refuse to believe that kojima chose to make ocelot worthless.

He hired Sutherland for mocap face acting. A lot of good that did....

It all points to a troubled development and a butchered game.

Okay, and you have proof of this? Kojima stated in very early interviews on the game that the game would feature less cutscenes and be more gameplay centric, Snake would be more subdued in his performance (literally watch the Kiefer Sutherland announcement), and Ocelot was created to be a neutral character to balance out character interactions. You're telling me after all this, that this still isn't what Kojima wanted?

The guy had been developing V since 2011, I think he knew what he wanted.

Sounds like PR to cover up a rocky development and relationship with konami. Dude wasn't allowed to be there to receive and award for the game for fuck sake.

We hired Sutherland and basically didn't use him for what we said we would.
We hired a good voice actor for ocelot but we wanted to give him no personality.

I think it didn't go as planned and they were like... yeah this was intentional... yep.

Right on the money. So many glaring issues, with lots of empty polish on the surface.

I adore MGS, and even after a year, this was the biggest let down of the generation.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
after playing the series for the first time to get myself ready for its release its easily the worst metal gear solid game I have ever played and probably my most disappointing game purchase ever.

even as an MGS fan, this echoes my original thoughts. MGS V was monotonous and lacked identity. Never knew changing the VA would have that much affect on how you percieved the character.

The only fun part about this game was fultoning up crates.

Damn can't believe its been a year already. This was the most hyped game of all time for me. I remember putting the disc in and playing through the hospital prologue and I thought damn this story is gonna be amazing. Not gonna lie that I was a little disappointed because it didn't end up how i thought it would. Not to mention the trailers showed so much. And because each trailer was so dramatic, when the actual scene happened in the game, it didn't feel as emotional. Still GOTY 2015 for me and one of the best games of all time.
I recently started replaying it and its soooo good. I hope Kojima can nail the gameplay again in death stranding. I also forgot how good some of those tapes are.

I'm glad the Chapter 3 stuff was finally laid to rest (thanks Peeler). People who thought a whole chapter was missing were kinda crazy and in denial tbh. Just cuz you didn't like the story doesn't mean 1/3 of the game is unfinished. And lol @ anyone who calls chapter 51 the ending.

tbh tho the best part of MGSV was the pre-release hype. Those trailers (still watch them), the theories, trying to extract every bit of information we could from tweets. good times

Been playing through the game again recently and I'm having just as much fun as I did when I first played it. The gameplay is just too perfect.

I feel like I'm playing some kinda people pokemon. Scouting out bases and finding these high leveled soldiers. Trying to neutralize enemies around them so I can capture them unharmed. It's kind of addicting.

Building up mother base is also fun for me. As it grows, I feel stronger as I get access to better intel and weapons. Wish there were more stuff to do at the actual base, though.

I also really like the decision to put alot of the story on tapes. I liked the long cutscenes in the previous games, but I didn't enjoy the gameplay as much as I do in V. In a way, I'm glad that they didn't get in the way of the gameplay. It's a weird comparison (and I hate making it) but it reminds me a bit of Dark Souls where I'm getting pieces of the lore from items (tapes) rather than heavy handed cutscenes. What cutscenes we did get were usually all done really well and were engaging.

Always pains me to see people rag on it so much here. I know it wasn't like the other games, but it's still a damn good one. My favorite next to MGS1.

There were problems with kojima's relationship with konami. Cutscenes were butchered. There were epic looking moments found only in some early trailers.
I refuse to believe that kojima chose to make ocelot worthless.

He hired Sutherland for mocap face acting. A lot of good that did....

It all points to a troubled development and a butchered game.
Then who did? "Konami"? lol.
I like Kojima as much as everyone else but damn people need to realize that he's not infallible.
He also talked about why ocelot is the way he is in V in the piggyback guide. So yeah, it was all his decision.

Dremark

Banned

There, I did it.

Fair enough. I still think it's a valid argument though, especially as we know the stuff got canned.

On the other hand aside from that 1 mission I literally cannot think of anything that wasn't properly dealt with, yet people are claiming that huge amounts of the game are missing.

DrBretto

Banned
330 hours and a platinum trophy on the PS4, and just bought the PC version a couple of weeks ago. I absolutely adore this game. I've put more time into this game than all other Metal Gear games combined.

I get, but don't care about, the story issues. I am far more interested in gameplay. The story kept me interested enough to keep going and that's all I cared about.

Treated like an espionage sandbox, there are so many ways you can approach any problem in the game. Any time I found some kind of strategy that makes it too easy, or found myself falling into any kind of repetitive habits, I'd blow it all up, re-customize some weapons, change up my loadout, use a different buddy and take a completely different approach. Probably about 350 hours on both versions combined and I can see still enjoying it at 650 hours.

I especially loved how there were so many things you could easily disregard that can give you a huge advantage if you used it right:

The water pistol is not a toy. It's one of the best items in the game. You can shoot behind a target and it makes a noise like throwing a magazine clip, but it doesn't leave anything behind to cause them to go into an alert stage. You can then sneak up behind them and hold them up. If you are about to get spotted, you can shoot them in the face for a short stun, long enough to run in and CQC. You can also use it to quietly take out electronics.

The horse isn't just for getting around. It's an incredible sneaking device. When you are leaning to the side on the horse, you are effectively invisible to anyone on the other side, and you can use this to walk right on up and check out an entire camp without getting spotted. And I mean you can walk 5 feet away from them and they won't see you as long as you're on the other side. And, on certain missions, the ability to stay mobile while being able to shoot while on the move can be huge.

D-Walker is incredibly underrated as well. Once you get used to the scanning head, it can be superior to D-Dog's markings. DW's marking remain marked even if you're out of range, for instance. And it covers a larger area. It's also better than you might think for sneaking. The EMP cannon or whatever it is, has a bigger range than it looks and can shoot through walls. If you're playing with reflex mode on, you can drive right in at anyone and have them, and all their friends in a small radius, knocked out cold before they can raise the alarm every single time. The Fulton Cannon is the most overpowered anything that ever.

I could go on for hours. It's a fun game.

I love everything about MGSV - the unparalleled hype leading up to its release, the superbly systemic open world, the super-smooth gameplay, the audio/visual feast on display, and yes, the plot and what it actually came to represent within the overall MGS universe. The "would've, could've, should've" surrounding the game's development, Kojima, and Konami were obviously not unfounded, but the game is so good that it just overshadowed all that for me.

After dumping 200+ hours into my initial playthrough, I put it aside despite wanting to do it again. About a week ago I finally picked it back up, and sure enough, it's still incredible.

My problem is that we never actually got to see that turn in Big Boss's character. Somewhere in between Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain, he turns into what you're describing, but it wasn't shown how. He just kind of became a jerk somewhere between games.

I still don't understand how, after building up a base for years with some of his finest comrades, after losing it all to a vicious attack that destroys everything he's created and killed his finest men and allies, an attack that sends him into a 9-year-long coma, Big Boss just does not care. He doesn't care that Huey betrayed him. He doesn't care that Skullface raped Paz or mutilated Chico and killed them both. He just wakes up, tells Ocelot to have his body double take care of things, and then goes to build a new base somewhere else because his arch rival Zero told him to. In just one game prior, this was a man getting into friendly naked shower fights with his buddy Kaz, talking about believing in Santa with Huey, and in many tapes he shows compassion, understanding, and kindness to pretty much every major character who joined MSF. But now, he just doesn't care, and we don't see why. You could argue maybe Paz's betrayal changed something in him, but Peace Walker Big Boss just came off from killing his mentor and was still the same lovable guy. I don't buy that shit one bit.

Big Boss was already doing very questionable things in Peace Walker. His ideals were starting to show how warped they were with him keeping Zeke as a deterrence even though the whole game is about why deterrence doesn't work. He also takes Chico in which is morally questionable and his speech at the end of PW is perhaps his sudden change.

The title screen turns from Yellow to red which in PW represents the good guys and the bad guys. Big Boss' final turn was when he felt as though The Boss betrayed him. His speech at the end of PW shows that he isn't Naked Snake anymore.

Then who did? "Konami"? lol.
I like Kojima as much as everyone else but damn people need to realize that he's not infallible.
He also talked about why ocelot is the way he is in V in the piggyback guide. So yeah, it was all his decision.

That's a rather dumb conclusion for you to assume I jumped to.

I think a mismanagement of resources is what lead t it. I doubt kojima would write up if the character was butchered due to time/money constraints.

I can only hope someone spills the beans on what actually happened one day.

Hutchie

Best game ever. The open world perflecly reflects a warzone imo and i hard great fun travelling from one end of the map to other whilst listening to take on me. Also sins of the father >>> snake eater

Kindekuma

Banned
The water pistol is not a toy. It's one of the best items in the game. You can shoot behind a target and it makes a noise like throwing a magazine clip, but it doesn't leave anything behind to cause them to go into an alert stage. You can then sneak up behind them and hold them up. If you are about to get spotted, you can shoot them in the face for a short stun, long enough to run in and CQC. You can also use it to quietly take out electronics.

Water Pistol is so good for FOBs. That with the S-1000 Air S and you're set.

Top Bottom