• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV The Phantom Pain - One Year Later

charsace

The best game in the series, it fully realizes what the other games almost reached. Never got the love for the writing or plot in these games since they have always been terrible.

This game along with Splinter Cell Blacklist and Dishonored are the best of the best in the stealth genre.

justjim89

The best game in the series, it fully realizes what the other games almost reached. Never got the love for the writing or plot in these games since they have always been terrible.

This game along with Splinter Cell Blacklist and Dishonored are the best of the best in the stealth genre.

Splinter Cell and Dishonored actually have good level design, though.

Kindekuma

Banned
I doubt kojima would write up if the character was butchered due to time/money constraints.

Oh stop, Ocelot wasn't butchered. Again, he was written to be a neutral character in the game. Listen to the tapes, his true purpose is to
aid Venom into building up Outer Heaven
. When the time came
he'd help out the clones
and had no purpose with that at the time until several years down the road. He wasn't written to be useless, there was business before he could fully play out his role in the later games.

justjim89

Oh stop, Ocelot wasn't butchered. Again, he was written to be a neutral character in the game. Listen to the tapes, his true purpose is to
. When the time came
he'd help out the clones
and had no purpose with that at the time until several years down the road. He wasn't written to be useless, there was business before he could fully play out his role in the later games.

And Quiet isn't a disgusting attempt at fanservice, she just needs to breathe through her tits and play naked in the rain.

Seriously, in-story justifications don't matter when the character is bad. Ocelot is a bad, boring character in this game and no retcons or secret tapes change that.

TPP has excellent level design

Sure, maybe it's fine the first time you go through one of the game's six locations. But the three dozen times you go back to each of them kinda kills it for me.

My problem is that we never actually got to see that turn in Big Boss's character. Somewhere in between Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain, he turns into what you're describing, but it wasn't shown how. He just kind of became a jerk somewhere between games.

the answer is literally under your nose. in between Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain: Ground Zeroes.

honestly, replay Ground Zeroes. it IS the fallen Big Boss.

if you watch Ground Zeroes and still think he's a hero and not a villain, you are beyond hope and there is nothing, no extra story, no lost cutscene, that will convince you.

his first line is suggesting they just kill Paz "before they are compromised". they decide to keep her alive for strategical reasons. yeah, what a hero. maybe if you are the kind of person who incites others to use child soldiers as bomb delivery devices, maybe you aren't a good guy! did Chico want to be rescued by Big Boss? no! in fact he tried to resist and Big Boss choked him out. and if you have played through TPP you realize the impact of the whole horrific force surgergy, this being a thing Big Boss makes his soldiers do -- this is what he asks of them!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yes, i really need to play the other games. Sadly they are not on steam i think. But if i decide to buy a Playstation that's one of the first things i try to do.

PS3 is your best bet. You'll have access to MG1 1987, MG2 1990, MGS1, MGS1 VR Missions, MGS2 Substance, MGS3 Subsistence, MGS4, and MGS Peace Walker HD. All on one system.

I would not personally wait around for Konami to get those games on PS4, even though it probably will happen at some point.

The gameplay mechanics are refined and allow for creativity, but it's probably the least focused entry in the series. A lot of the content feels more like padding than anything designed all that meaningfully. There are some memorable moments or cutscenes, but they're floating in a narrative that just isn't very compelling at all, imo.

Honestly made me kind of skeptical regarding Kojima as a creator. I know it's unfinished, but it felt like he was prioritizing scale and style over a cohesive experience.

That's a rather dumb conclusion for you to assume I jumped to.

I think a mismanagement of resources is what lead t it. I doubt kojima would write up if the character was butchered due to time/money constraints.

I can only hope someone spills the beans on what actually happened one day.
He literally said " I wanted to make ocelot a neutral character to contrast with kaz, who's angry and wants revenge" in the piggyback guide. It's not a conclusion I jumped to. It's just the answer. Mgs fans always have to turn things into their own theories and crazy analyses when the obvious answer is right there.
And even if he didn't say that, I don't see how a mismanagement of resources would lead to a poorly written character. They probably had the characters done very early in development.
Plus why do people act like mgsv was barely given dev time. The game took forever to release tf?

Kindekuma

Banned
Plus why do people act like mgsv was barely given dev time. The game took forever to release tf?

The whole Kojima v Konami debacle apparently undid everything the game worked for like 3 months before release.

Didn't even think of that. See? 350 hours in and I'm still learning things.

I've been testing a lot of strategies in FOBs lately after sinking so much time in single player and MGO. If you can, develop the WU +SB, it's a 1HKO and perfect for Non-Lethal FOBs since any part of the body is hit is a knock out.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My problem is that we never actually got to see that turn in Big Boss's character.

Did you play MGS3, PW and GZ? If so, you saw his evolution into a bastard. TPP puts the nails in the coffin of his heroism right at the end.

7 years wasn't all TPP. A significant amount of time was given to developing an engine and building GZ.

Macrotus

Gameplay was great, but the story was meh.
By gameplay, I mean the controls/combat. It was the best in the series.
The open word was meh though.
I liked infiltrating bases and stuff, but it was between the bases. You sometimes see trucks are soldiers, maybe a few animals and that was it. It felt kind of empty. Wish they had more time to work on that.

And I wish they added that last chapter to the definitive edition and worked on the things the original was lacking.
If Kojima was still at Konami he definitely would have done that, because he's a developer with ambition.

I loved it and still do. It did get a little bit grindy with the side missions and such, but the actual gameplay was so well done it didn't matter to me. The attention to detail is incredible and I cant wait to see what kojima does next.

Had a great time platinum-ing the game as well. I love being able to re-do missions later with better equipment and such, which is one of the reasons I loved Resident Evil 5.

The only thing I didn't like was how the FOB stuff was so forced, not to mention that dumb patch that took a majority of your resources and made you use them online, just to force it more. I'm glad there was a workaround for it. I'm happy some people enjoyed that part of the game, but I didn't want anything to do with it while I was trying to enjoy the main game.

I'm also on the side that the cut mission/section to go after Eli and Sally should've been in the game. The art and the cut scenes that were in the special content stuff made it seem like it was gonna be a whole new area to do missions in and I would've loved that. Also seeing Diamond Dogs coming in to help take out a manned Sahelanthropus would've been awesome.

I dont care if some people thought that was enough and adding it wouldn't have made a big difference, well it would've for me! I wanted to see them go after them and take it out. There wasn't any closure to the game imo. What happens to Sally? Let me see what happens.

Greddleok

I liked infiltrating bases and stuff, but it was between the bases. You sometimes see trucks are soldiers, maybe a few animals and that was it. It felt kind of empty. Wish they had more time to work on that.

To work on what? You're in the open world to do a mission, not stop muggings and other boring repeatable filler stuff.

Yawnier

Banned
I actually didn't play TPP until about a month ago. I thought it was a decent game but not as good as the earlier MGS games (1, 2, 3).

. When the time came
he'd help out the clones

He literally said " I wanted to make ocelot a neutral character to contrast with kaz, who's angry and wants revenge" in the piggyback guide. It's not a conclusion I jumped to. It's just the answer. Mgs fans always have to turn things into their own theories and crazy analyses when the obvious answer is right there.
And even if he didn't say that, I don't see how a mismanagement of resources would lead to a poorly written character. They probably had the characters done very early in development.

Then kojima took one of the best characters in the series and intentionally made him boring and useless.

Just because he said it doesn't make it the truth.
Devs can lie. PR can be bullshit. Look at NMS.

I thought it was put out that kojima was basically fired for not putting out games fast enough and spending too much money.

Why Kojima went the route of open-world of Peace Walker I will never know. Maybe it's his own way of saying Fuck Konami while integrating a well designed gameplay system as a foundation for his next game when he leaves the company. Maybe there are parallels between him and MGSV with Konami being Venom to take over the role of Kojima while the real one goes on to make the game MGSV was supposed to be in Death Stranding - aka, Foxhound.

Why Kojima went the route of open-world of Peace Walker I will never know. Maybe it's his own way of saying Fuck Konami while integrating a well designed gameplay system as a foundation for his next game when he leaves the company. Maybe there are parallels between him and MGSV with Konami being Venom to take over the role of Kojima while the real one goes on to make the game MGSV was supposed to be in Death Stranding - aka, Foxhound.

I want to believe this.

I can only hope kojima is capable of making equally bat shit crazy conspiracies in real life as he does in games.

Then kojima took one of the best characters in the series and intentionally made him boring and useless.

Just because he said it doesn't make it the truth.
Devs can lie. PR can be bullshit. Look at NMS.

I thought it was put out that kojima was basically fired for not putting out games fast enough and spending too much money.

Wouldn't it just be easier to accept that that is what Kojima wanted? Seems kinda bizzare to go make up some conspiracy just because you can't accept that he changed his character into something you didn't like.

Wouldn't it just be easier to accept that that is what Kojima wanted? Seems kinda bizzare to go make up some conspiracy just because you can't accept that he changed his character into something you didn't like.

He changed who the character is, fundamentally, for no reason.

Well to make him "neutral" next to kaz or some shit.

He's a young arrogant bastard in 3. In V he just decides to phone it in or whatever.

And then go back to being an arrogant bastard in 1, 2 and 4.

Makes total sense.

He's a young arrogant bastard in 3. In V he just decides to phone it in or whatever.

Makes total sense.

Well that is the reason he gave. It's that simple. It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's the decision he made. You don't have to like it.

edit: apologies, that came off way more snarky that I intended.

Dremark

Banned

Makes total sense.

They drastically changed his character in 4 and gave the same explanation for it. Not sure why that was fine then but a problem now.

Kazuhira

Maybe they shouldn't have splitted the game in chapters tbh,put all the missions in the same bag and present the game as whole..it could've lessen the impact and/or make the huge nosedive in quality less noticeable.
Add a hard,extreme,etc mode for every mission(like in GZ) instead of using old missions with a new difficulty and pretend they're new ones.
Maybe it was not that easy to notice during your first play because you're not paying too much attention,miss details etc but the story structure and pacing from ch1 is very well done,you follow these little clues that each mission provides as if you were a detective so you can narrow the search a little bit more:
You find kaz -> He sents you to kill this commander-> Then you find some info about a cargo that may be linked to cypher etc etc -> you finally find Skullface's HQ.
After the fight with ST-84 i was like "damn this game is fucking awesome and this is just the first chapter.." but then CH2 begins and the story structure and pacing starts to fall apart,you wonder why do you need to play old missions to get a new one and forget the motives of why are doing stuff;all of the sudden you're looking for film canisters,codetalker's old research which leads to nothing but to increase your collection of tapes.
Mission 46 coming out of nowhere was the big "what the fuck" moment in this game,what triggered this event? how come all of the sudden Venom remembers what happened? The ending itself is satisfactory but the way it was presented may be the reason for the divisive reception.
It took me a few months to digest it but i kinda appreciate the vagueness of certain aspects of the story because it allows the player to complete the missing link as you see fit,do you wanna believe that this is all VR? or that the medic does not exists and it's just big boss suffering schizophrenia? it's all possible in the end.
If certain inconsistencies,details are there on purpose to feed your imagination and invest time in your own fan theory about what could've happened then kudos to Kojima,as a Dark Souls fan i really appreciate it; But it's still possible that everything was rushed and he couldn't double-check every single detail..or maybe he is just a hack lol.
Well,this is my current position about mgsv and it may change in the future because i still don't know what to make of this game tbh.
Sorry for the big wall of text.

Vic_Viper

I love how whoever is replying to people on Konami's Twitter account is dead set on trying to convince people Ch. 51 doesn't add anything to the ending and was never intended to be in the game. I bet they wish now it was never released to people in the first place.

If they played the game they would know how crazy they are coming off with their reasoning. Kinda seems odd that they didn't actually go in and finish it since they obviously have people working on new content current with MGSurvive.

All in all, MGSV was an amazing send off to my all time favorite series. Yes the story was lackluster but the gameplay itself made up for it 10 fold. Going to miss the hype build up that always happens when a new Metal Gear is coming, there's nothing else like it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Makes total sense.

Isn't he a spy in 3, 1, 2 and 4? Isn't he the kind of spy that will use every technique in the book (including hypnotherapy and, later, nanomachines, son) to take on a role for a mission?

How do you know V isn't what he's really like? Christ, what if he's like Peter Sellers and spends so much of his time playing roles that he doesn't even have a personality of his own...?

They drastically changed his character in 4 and gave the same explanation for it. Not sure why that was fine then but a problem now.

Even Solid changed from game to game.

brawly

Hate it with a passion. I remember waiting two weeks (!) for the Steelbook Edition from Amazon France.

It has great visuals and mechanics. Oh and awesome trailers. I'm nucleaaar...great times.

The open world is shit, as is having to call your chopper for the hundreth time. I barely remember any of the missions because they were all dull as dishwater. First part was alright, second part was total garbage. Waste of time, really.

Nothing here is better than GZ.

Keihart

Maybe they shouldn't have splitted the game in chapters tbh,put all the missions in the same bag and present the game as whole..it could've lessen the impact and/or make the huge nosedive in quality less noticeable.
Add a hard,extreme,etc mode for every mission(like in GZ) instead of using old missions with a new difficulty and pretend they're new ones.
Maybe it was not that easy to notice during your first play because you're not paying too much attention,miss details etc but the story structure and pacing from ch1 is very well done,you follow these little clues that each mission provides as if you were a detective so you can narrow the search a little bit more:
You find kaz -> He sents you to kill this commander-> Then you find some info about a cargo that may be linked to cypher etc etc -> you finally find Skullface's HQ.
After the fight with ST-84 i was like "damn this game is fucking awesome and this is just the first chapter.." but then CH2 begins and the story structure and pacing starts to fall apart,you wonder why do you need to play old missions to get a new one and forget the motives of why are doing stuff;all of the sudden you're looking for film canisters,codetalker's old research which leads to nothing but to increase your collection of tapes.
Mission 46 coming out of nowhere was the big "what the fuck" moment in this game,what triggered this event? how come all of the sudden Venom remembers what happened? The ending itself is satisfactory but the way it was presented may be the reason for the divisive reception.
It took me a few months to digest it but i kinda appreciate the vagueness of certain aspects of the story because it allows the player to complete the missing link as you see fit,do you wanna believe that this is all VR? or that the medic does not exists and it's just big boss suffering schizophrenia? it's all possible in the end.
If certain inconsistencies,details are there on purpose to feed your imagination and invest time in your own fan theory about what could've happened then kudos to Kojima,as a Dark Souls fan i really appreciate it; But it's still possible that everything was rushed and he couldn't double-check every single detail..or maybe he is just a hack lol.
Well,this is my current position about mgsv and it may change in the future because i still don't know what to make of this game tbh.
Sorry for the big wall of text.

Chapter 1 is great, it is flawed but great still. Chapter 2 is where everything falls apart, i agree. The moment you start to realize there isn't much more to it in chapter 2 i felt heart broken.

Isn't he a spy in 3, 1, 2 and 4? Isn't he the kind of spy that will use every technique in the book (including hypnotherapy and, later, nanomachines, son) to take on a role for a mission?

How do you know V isn't what he's really like? Christ, what if he's like Peter Sellers and spends so much of his time playing roles that he doesn't even have a personality of his own...?

Lol. Maybe that explains his uselessness in V.

Dyno

At first I was impressed and the drip feed of new tools and gadgets kept me engaged. After a while though the missions got very repetative. I feel the game mechanics - while good - were stretched too thin. They made a hundred hour game with a thirty hour system. It really should have been shorter with more intensity along the way.

As usual with Kojima stories the build up was good and the payoff was a big letdown. Totally not worth the time invested.

sibarraz

Banned
I think the the bigest trouble with this game is that the trailers sold the game as the path to hell that showed us how snake became the big boss from the first metal gears, and even without taking into account the real ending of the game, this never happened, making the expectatives from people like us who enjoyed the story series way too higher.

Also, some people took the way on how Konami treated Kojima way to seriously, making it easier to criticise this game (which has his flaws mind you, specially since is a radical change on how the previous MG were portrayed)

With that being said, I enjoyed the game, even though the open world was not that rich, I still enjoyed traveling through Africa and Afghanistan, the missions could get repetitive but I still enjoyed mastering all the camps, it's true that after some point you don't had the need to be hide at all, but it was cool that you had lots of ways to solve problems, also was cool to see how the mother base growth, even though at times it felt like a grind.

And heck, I enjoyed the story, the pace was terrible and the disorder on how you unlocked the cutscenes was awful, but I liked this idea that you were an outlaw who had to do the dirty work for other organizations, while searching your personal vendetta, and the ending was an ok explanation on why happened some events in the first metal gear, still I think that they could have detailed some things better.

In the end, this is one of my favorite games ever, I hardly put 100+ hours on a single player game, just for that, I can't really hate it

SCB3

In my opinion:

A fantastic game that is nowhere near what a Metal Gear Solid game should be!

The gameplay is great, hell its up there as maybe the best Third Person Action game ever

The story is almost non-existent, it feels unfinished and rusedh to be resolved, in fact, you can see that coming from Chapter 1 to chapter 2. Chapter 2 imo should've been cut, it added next to nothing to the game aside from a few important cutscenes and Chapter 1's conclusion was actually pretty satisfying (Spoilers here:
Apart from Otacon spoiling that scene, it was damned near perfect an ending
).

I will say this, someone, either at KONAMI or even Kojima himself, dropped the ball on the storyline and the game really suffers from it, that s a real shame cause the gameplay really is something special and I for one actually do want to pay MG: Survive for that

I loved plenty about this game, though there were some things that took me out of it.

The gameplay, visuals, controls, lighting, and voice acting were all top-tier.

I appreciated the story that was there, but as a long time fan of this (usually long winded) series I wanted more. Having to replay earlier missions with different constraints just to advance really rubbed me the wrong way. And spending so much time in the chopper coming and going really wore me down after a while.

The idea of FOB bugged me as well, but I just threw half-decent guards on watch and never really lost too much so it didn't end up really bothering me.

That all being said, I probably poured more time into MGSV than I have any other game since....man probably L4D1/2. It was the only thing in my PS4 from Sept to about Thanksgiving last year.

Edit: corrected that the replay levels aren't necessary to advance the story.

DrBretto

Banned
I think the the bigest trouble with this game is that the trailers sold the game as the path to hell that showed us how snake became the big boss from the first metal gears, and even without taking into account the real ending of the game, this never happened, making the expectatives from people like us who enjoyed the story series way too higher.

This is totally true, and everyone looking forward to that stuff has my sympathies.

But, this happens in EVERY franchise. Any time anyone has emotional ties and specific expectations for a franchise they have enjoyed for a long time, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Your favorite book got turned into a movie? You'll be the only one that hates it. Your favorite comic book series is getting a reboot? You'll be the only one who's disappointed because they got everything wrong. Your favorite videogame franchise tries to revive some beloved vaporware to rejuvenate the franchise, and you'll be in every FFXV thread waxing poetic about the Stella pose.

Specific expectations just lead to disappointment. I find it's best to let the game come to you. Give it a second, try to figure out what they're trying to convey and react accordingly.

Call me dumb all you want, but I ended up enjoying the MGSV story for what it was. The reason it never felt incomplete to me (besides chapter 51, which is totally legit) is because I didn't look at it from a list of all the things they didn't give me. I just took it for what it was an enjoyed the ride.

Dremark

Banned

Actually that was what I pulled from his portrayal in V is that was his real personality in the game. My take on it at least.

Solid changed from game to game but it always seemed like a natural character development in regards to what he had been through or what was going through.

He admittedly didn't get a lot of characterization in the MSX games but Solid showed how he had largely been hardened by war and during the course of the game he kind of reached a more enlightened state where he found a real purpose. Solid 2 demonstrated that development heavily and while it still came through in Solid 4 it was kind of warped by the state he was in.

Ocelot was literally written to be a different character because reasons in 4 and 5 (and sort of 2). Honestly even his character in 3 didn't seem all that close to his characterization in 1/2 but I guess it was similar enough considering the time gap.

Loved the gameplay, one of the best ever on that side. The story was b-movie tier but it wasn't that much of a problem.
The game relied a LOT on how the player wanted to play, so many people found it boring bevause they kept doing the same things without purtting creativity. I remember lots of folks asking how to save those kids, when all it took was stunning them with a tranq gun.

Dremark

Banned
Loved the gameplay, one of the best ever on that side. The story was b-movie tier but it wasn't that much of a problem.
The game relied a LOT on how the player wanted to play, so many people found it boring bevause they kept doing the same things without purtting creativity. I remember lots of folks asking how to save those kids, when all it took was stunning them with a tranq gun.

Even the gameplay itself adapted to challenge you. I typically sneak around and tranquility everyone in the head when I play Metal Gear but but about a quarter of the way through the game it adapted to me to force me to play it differently.

That's part of why it really doesn't make a ton of sense to me that people complained about the open world. Yeah you visit the same locations but the missions were set up differently and even the game itself pressured you to change your strategy up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Solid changed from game to game but it always seemed like a natural character development in regards to what he had been through or what was going through.

Maybe from 1 to 2 (though he didn't seem like the type to be devious in 1), but from 2 to 4? That was a bit of an about-face, if you ask me.

I say this even though Old Snake is clearly Best Snake
in worst Metal Gear ;)

The game relied a LOT on how the player wanted to play, so many people found it boring bevause they kept doing the same things without purtting creativity.

Couldn't agree more. Player Agency played a much more prevalent role in V than any other game
and - if you think about it - tied directly into the big twist's revelation

Top Bottom