• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MIC: Overwatch players turn to Reddit to share their stories of Harrassment

Strakt

Aha, the 'i've got x freinds so therefore what i'm suggesting is acrually fine' coupled with a hint of 'i would'nt have weak minded female friends though thats not me'.

Edit: and the humblebrag about Grandmaster? You're really cool dide!

Actually it was more to make a point that you can solo queue, enjoy the game, mute toxics (that i encounter almost every other match), spread positive energy and still achieve a high rank. But your posts are just set on attacking me, so let me just stop replying to your naive posts.

Mael

Why make a bigger problem of it?

There you have it : The summary of Strakt's point.
there's no problem, if there's a problem it's not legitimate and you have to deal with it or you're not worth the time.
You are, you're both abolishing this kind of behaviour, but one of you is saying, "We need to stop it at it's core" whilst the other is saying, "Whilst not ideal, this is how the victim HAS to deal with it in the present".

So yes you are on the same side, because the other side is the feminists and the racists etc.

That's a good one.

I report players for harassment all the time, but has reporting ever resulted in any sort of disciplinary action from Blizzard? Does anybody know of anyone who was actually banned for toxicity?

AndersK

Actually it was more to make a point that you can solo queue, enjoy the game, mute toxics (that i encounter almost every other match), spread positive energy and still achieve a high rank. But your posts are just set on attacking me, so let me just stop replying to your naive posts.

Can't you just find a different forum?

Are people often toxic towards you? Can't think of any reason why.

Lastly, ignoring stuff is not spreading positive energy, nor is pretty much any other of your suggestions.

Calling people naive is not positive energy at all, and it explicitly demonstrates you as someone who wishes people to do things that they themselves do not want to do. You explicitly seek people to have better behavior than you yourself do, and show no interest in improving yourself.

Strakt

I expect that people's response be to put pressure on Blizzard to curb it, not to say "why are you even playing the product you purchased?"

Because it would be extremely hard for blizzard to come up with such a tool. Many bans would end up being false bans if they had a voice moderation tool. People would complain even more then. Most people don't type in OW, they use mics. For them to come up with such a tool would take years, and like i said, theres a temporary solution until that day arrives. If that temporary solution isn't enough, then people should stop playing until that day arrives if its too much weight on their shoulder.

Because it would be extremely hard for blizzard to come up with such a tool. Many bans would end up being false bans if they had a voice moderation tool. People would complain even more then. Most people don't type in OW, they use mics. For them to come up with such a tool would take years, and like i said, theres a temporary solution until that day arrives. If that temporary solution isn't enough, then people should stop playing until that day arrives if its too much weight on their shoulder.

There are literally factually tools that exist that Blizzard does not use in their efforts (if any exist) to curb harassment, they are mentioned in the OP. What exactly are you suggesting is a challenge for Blizzard here?

You are, you're both abolishing this kind of behaviour, but one of you is saying, "We need to stop it at it's core" whilst the other is saying, "Whilst not ideal, this is how the victim HAS to deal with it in the present".

So yes you are on the same side, because the other side is the feminists and the racists etc.

If you view feminism on the side of racism, I question what your understanding of either subject is.

Strakt

Calling people naive is not positive energy at all, and it explicitly demonstrates you as someone who wishes people to do things that they themselves do not want to do. You explicitly seek people to have better behavior than you yourself do, and show no interest in improving yourself.

When someone replies to me solely on the purpose of mentioning a rank bc i mentioned it one time in this entire thread, its a pretty naive and idiotic post

Mael

Are you sure?
They have tools to detect cheaters and when one player was accused of cheating they were able to verify that the incriminated player was actually legit.
It's Blizzard's job to make an environment that is welcoming to players, they deal with cheaters they can deal with harrassers.

AndersK

When someone replies to me solely on the purpose of mentioning a rank bc i mentioned it one time in this entire thread, its a pretty naive and idiotic post

I'm really just trying to make you realise you do not practice what you preach. Toughen up.

I don't really care about the contents of their post, I care that you're demanding people to do things that you yourself refuse to do. So please, stop making negative comments while complaining about how negative the people around you are.

AndersK

So yes you are on the same side, because the other side is the sexists and the racists etc.

He's telling people to deal with it by stopping playing the game. I repeat: we are not.

Strakt

Are you sure?
They have tools to detect cheaters and when one player was accused of cheating they were able to verify that the incriminated player was actually legit.
It's Blizzard's job to make an environment that is welcoming to players, they deal with cheaters they can deal with harrassers.

Most cheats either inject or are trigger bots; you can detect that when your mouse shakes a bit when aiming. If they made a voice software, they'd have to recognize certain words being said.. people could say to their team "get lucio, i'm raping him on point A" and get banned for it due to rape being detected. Some people have strong accents which could also get a false ban. The list goes on.. cons over pros.

Mael

Damn. Y'all are as toxic as the topic being debated. Let the man/woman have his opinion. WTF.

The people discussing the harrassement are the real harrassers!
Most cheats either inject or are trigger bots; you can detect that when your mouse shakes a bit when aiming. If they made a voice software, they'd have to recognize certain words being said.. people could say to their team "get lucio, i'm raping him on point A" and get banned for it due to rape being detected. Some people have strong accents which could also get a false ban. The list goes on.. cons over pros.

They're not even using anything to stop that through text so clearly they do not see that behavior as a problem anyway.

Apologies for the typo. It has been corrected to "sexists". It's late, alright! :)

>_> The point still stands, feminism and sexism are not on the same side of this debate.

I don't know that a person who says "I'm raping him" is an example of a victim, and kind of colors my understanding of your perspective on this matter better.

Damn. Y'all are as toxic as the topic being debated. Let the man/woman have his opinion. WTF.

Strakt is criticized for their viewpoints, not for their skin, gender, sexuality, etc.

Thats fine. Regardless, your posts have very very little impact on me.

Except for, apparently, making you behaving in a fashion that is different from what you tell others to behave in.

Strakt

The people discussing the harrassement are the real harrassers!

They're not even using anything to stop that through text so clearly they do not see that behavior as a problem anyway.

They do ban users though through texts. Its not instant , but they have a system implemented for that. Its either a warning or temp ban. I know in heroes of the storm, you get silenced when you play games if you're toxic.

>_> The point still stands, feminism and sexism are not on the same side of this debate.

I don't know that a person who says "I'm raping him" is an example of a victim, and kind of colors my understanding of your perspective on this matter better.

Strakt is criticized for their viewpoints, not for their skin, gender, sexuality, etc.

I dont think you understand the point i'm trying to make with the voice recognition software or maybe im reading your sentence wrong.

Kid Ying

What he's suggesting seems pretty reasonable. He's saying since no one at these companies is doing enough to curb this behavior, and you can't control the actions and words of others, the best course of action at the moment is to either mute them and move on or tell them off.

He's not saying this is the only thing people should be doing to curb this kind of behavior, he's not saying that what's happening is alright, and he's not saying that women should have to deal with it. He's saying the reality of the situation is that RIGHT NOW they DO have to deal with it. And since the only actions and emotions you can control in life are your own, that people should be doing one of the two suggestions listed above, because those are the two most likely to get the people who are fucking with you to stop fucking with you.

That doesn't mean it's right, or that it's fair, just that unfortunately at the moment it's the most realistic way to get this type of behavior to stop effecting you.
Yeah. Unfortunately, that's it. I even blocked messages from everyone outside of my friends list. I got my fair share of harassment on overwatch already. That blows, since it makes me less competitive, but that's the way it is.

Mael

They do ban users though through texts. Its not instant , but they have a system implemented for that. Its either a warning or temp ban. I know in heroes of the storm, you get silenced when you play games if you're toxic.

And they're not using that system across all their games why?
You can't even log onto their games without using the same Battle.net application so what's stoping them exactling from centralizing their harrassement preventing software?
Either what they have on Heroes is as shit as what they have on OW or OW is not coded the same way.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Mostly boys/men have been playing multiplayer since the mid-late 90s and nobody has complained until now. Going through shit talking is a rite of passage.

I have no problem with girls/women shit talking, I would encourage them to do so. There's plenty of mean shit you can say to hurt a boy/guy's ego who's trying to insult you, it's up to them to think of it.

Why do you think this is ok? No one has to go through this?

They should implement better ways to report people...And maybe instead of perm bans, make it annoying to play. Like a 24 hour ban on the player's most used character. Or forcing them to only use a character they don't use. Less priority during queues. For games with loot, less drops. Less points and so on.

I dont think you understand the point i'm trying to make with the voice recognition software or maybe im reading your sentence wrong.

Firstly, a person who says "I'm raping him" should face some form of retribution.

Secondly, the solution to that is to have the retribution only occur if they are reported in that match.

AndersK

Thats fine. Regardless, your posts have very very little impact on me.

I thought you wanted to stop replying?

Regardless, i suppose you are right in a way. No opinions are being changed today, so this is getting kinda moot. I'm just surprised you wouldn't want more people to play your favorite game instead of dismissing these issues like so.

Like I said, i have plenty of female friends that i sympathize for. They aren't weak minded though, so they can handle pressing the mute and report button. You can keep posting the same thing about women over and over again.. the fact is male, females, anyone who gets treated with toxic behavior should press the mute button and continue playing the game they enjoy. Why make a bigger problem of it? Where does that get you? While its not okay to accept that type of behavior, its going to happen regardless bc of the type of people out there and the non existent system blizzard has in place. Mute and move on. pretty simple if you ask me.

Even if I believed the bit about have plenty of feeeeemales that you sympathize with and so on, I really doubt that they'd confide in you how bothered they were by the gross shit people say to them online if they even get a whiff of how dismissive you are about the subject.

Making a bigger problem of it might encourage companies to create solutions and actually follow up on reports. Maybe other players will say "this isn't right" and call out people who harass to create a community that is unwelcoming to them instead of just encouraging the victims to swallow their feelings, stay silent and keep playing with shitheels. It would still happen, sure, but not to the degree it currently does. I for sure would prefer 1/50 odds of hearing racist, sexist, etc drivel instead of 1/20, 1/10, 1/5. If you decide not to try to discuss or improve anything because there's no magic perfect solution, everything goes to hell.

Strakt

And they're not using that system across all their games why?
You can't even log onto their games without using the same Battle.net application so what's stoping them exactling from centralizing their harrassement preventing software?

I'm sure they're working on it behind the scenes. They spoke of a system that rewards positive players more than the negative ones. So that could help positivity in the future. The thing in HOTS is I'm pretty sure you can still MAP PING even if you're silenced from the system so you can let your team know where you are going. In overwatch its a bit tricky due to it being a FPS.. but i'm sure they have a reward system in the works for the future.

Strakt

I thought you wanted to stop replying?

Regardless, i suppose you are right in a way. No opinions are being changed today, so this is getting kinda moot. I'm just surprised you wouldn't want more people to play your favorite game instead of dismissing these issues like so.

I dont play overwatch anymore, but ok. Since you said its my favorite game, it must be!

Firstly, a person who says "I'm raping him" should face some form of retribution.

Secondly, the solution to that is to have the retribution only occur if they are reported in that match.

Dont agree with the first sentence at all. People in the midst of an intense fight say things like "lucio low lucio low hes super low i just raped him".. ive heard it plenty of times in team chat in competitive. you cant ban someone for that compared to someone saying "im gonna rape you" to a female.

And that's ok? If it is then why do these offensive junkrat players start to tilt when I ask them to switch because I don't think he's good on offense? T_T

I'll be honest. I haven't read this entire thread but it's pretty clear that Strackt is just saying to use the mute button until a more desirable solution is implemented. Until then, mute the toxic players because there is no way of avoiding them.

Because women are harassed more often and more viciously than men are on average.

IDK me and my friends have definitely been harassed quite a bit. i could care less i just block and ignore. I do play with a few females (2 of my friends i play with most are a married couple) and even when we go into game chat she never got harassed for being a women. IDK if maybe it happens in some games more then others? but i haven't experienced it much. Overwatch was pretty bad. gigantic has it's moments too but i didn't see any biased towards harassing women.

When I get harrassed, it's because I did something stupid, not because my voice gives away my gender that's a very big difference.
Think about what this means and what the logical consequences are: that women don't give away their gender anymore, participate less and maybe give up gaming completely. that's very bad and no one could want that.
again, not saying it doesn't happen. I know it does, but I'm saying maybe it's not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. kind of a mountain out of a molehill situation. maybe it's because I'm older from a different generation, or just full of life experience having a kids, wife, career etc but I just feel the newer generation is a bit "think skinned"

I mean when i was growing up it was "sticks and stoned may break my bones but words will never hurt me" nowadays a kid calls another kid in school fat and it turns into a whole disaster. the "safe space" mentality needs to be dialed back a bit IMO.

I think it'll change though in a few years. since internet is a common part of life now my kids learn in school how to behave on it. from a young age. they are still in elementary school but since grade 2 they have tablets, laptops, social media pages from the school and they learn how to share their homework and comment on each others work and be polite. something the current generation never learned. then the current gen will grow up and learn to be more civil and this "mid generation" online that's trolling people because they can will kinda go away

Eh? What point? That's what I corrected, you nutter! Haha

Oh, I thought you meant that you meant sexism instead of racism, haha.

I dont play overwatch anymore, but ok. Since you said its my favorite game, it must be!

Dont agree with the first sentence at all. People in the midst of an intense fight say things like "lucio low lucio low hes super low i just raped him".. ive heard it plenty of times in team chat in competitive. you cant ban someone for that compared to someone saying "im gonna rape you" to a female.

People say a lot of offensive things in the heat of the moment, that does not make it okay to do. If someone said "I just got Jewed out of my win!" that would be bannable, despite not being addressed at a Jewish person (not intentionally anyway).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
again, not saying it doesn't happen. I know it does, but I'm saying maybe it's not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. kind of a mountain out of a molehill situation. maybe it's because I'm older from a different generation, or just full of life experience having a kids, wife, career etc but I just feel the newer generation is a bit "think skinned"

I mean when i was growing up it was "sticks and stoned may break my bones but words will never hurt me" nowadays a kid calls another kid in school fat and it turns into a whole disaster. the "safe space" mentality needs to be dialed back a bit IMO.

I think it'll change though in a few years. since internet is a common part of life now my kids learn in school how to behave on it. from a young age. they are still in elementary school but since grade 2 they have tablets, laptops, social media pages from the school and they learn how to share their homework and comment on each others work and be polite. something the current generation never learned. then the current gen will grow up and learn to be more civil and this "mid generation" online that's trolling people because they can will kinda go away

That sticks and stones saying was bull shit then and its bull shit now. Words can leave wounds that you never see and run far deeper than a lot of physical damage and that didn't change with the generations.

Strakt

Fair enough. I don't disagree, had a lot of fun with it all in all though. I do still think the game is better off us not waving away these issues so flippantly.

People should always give blizzard feedback on toxicity. The game would be amazing without it. Unfortunately, as I've stated so many times in this thread, its best not to get so hung up on things people say, and just mute them until theres an actual system in place. its a temporary solution until a more permanent one comes.

ryseing

So much for the tolerant left!.....

And this is why Trump won, amirite?

Sorry. Comments like yours drive me absolutely insane. It tends to be directed towards victims who are daring to speak up and refusing to tolerate bullshit from their oppressors, but instead get pushed down by "WHAT ABOUT TOLERANCE?!?!?"

I've been lucky to not hear any sexist remarks on PS4 and have been pleasantly surprised with the women brave enough to use voice chat, something I myself can no longer justify doing. What I do hear though is instant bitching and singling out if you aren't playing to "the meta." Just typing those words makes me gag.

sugarman

Ehh.... no. If I got banned for saying something along the lines of "damn, I just got raped in comp" that would be a bit silly. Should we ban all swear words? Should Nirvana have been banned from releasing their song "rape me"?

That sticks and stones saying was bull shit then and its bull shit now. Words can leave wounds that you never see and run far deeper than a lot of physical damage and that didn't change with the generations.

I'm pretty sure many people got teased as a kid and grew up just fine. it's not BS. You can't control what other people can do, all you can control is how you react.

zeniselv

This is a problem with no solution, the kind of anonymity and safety that talking to someone through the Internet, lets people speak wihout filterig its words, I know toxicity can ruin your mood, specially if youre losing a game, and people just starts to ó be offensive, but it only affects you as much as you le it to, as systems to combat this problem can hardly do anything to the great amount of cases of toxicity, and when they make the mitigation of toxicity a priority, we end with online services like the one Nintendo has.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm pretty sure many people got teased as a kid and grew up just fine. it's not BS. You can't control what other people can do, all you can control is how you react.

You can, though. It's how culture changes. Change the culture = change what people want do.

Do people really think social behavior has been static throughout all of human history? It's fluid, and therefore can be guided with intent.

I report players for harassment all the time, but has reporting ever resulted in any sort of disciplinary action from Blizzard? Does anybody know of anyone who was actually banned for toxicity?

You can definitely catch a temp ban in their other games for being a racist shithead and the same Battle.net TOS applies to OW, so probably?

Trouble is Blizzard's policy is to not comment on any specific actions taken against a player or their account so it's hard if not impossible to see the results of all this reporting unless Blizzard puts out numbers alongside a strong statement that they have zero tolerance for such behavior.

Top Bottom