• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Knowland (Lead Character Artist) leaves Naughty Dog

Tagg9

Sounds like he wasn't working on Unch4rted, so I suspect that he didn't like the direction they were going on TLoU2 (or the new rumored new IP). Either that or Naughty Dog has moved every single person to work on Uncharted and he didn't want to be a part of it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it's interesting to see people speculating from an uninformed position get so angry at other people for speculating from an uninformed position.

The stuff ND is doing looks really good on a resume. People are getting better offers which ND might not match. So, people leave.

I doubt that was the case with Hennig. It's possible with Richmond, maybe, though the timing is suspect. Shortly after Hennig left and in the middle of UC4 development.

Nate Wells went to Giant Sparrow, makers of the Unfinished Swan. I don't think they offered more money or a better pension plan.

iceatcs

If laid off - they cannot afford you.

If fried - poor work/behave or replacement.

If quit - want different or more money.

If retired - too old/health or sick of game.

Nate Wells went to Giant Sparrow, makers of the Unfinished Swan. I don't think they offered more money or a better pension plan.

A higher position though, art director. ( his level at Irrational)

The art director position at ND is held by Pangilinan and Rupehl. The former is ND employee no.13 who's been there since the Crash era, and the latter has been at ND for 7 years after a decade at Walt Disney.

As illustrious as Wells is, he's not likely to replace any of these 2 soon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How many employees did ND have? Seems at least 2 people leave every week.

I'm pretty ignorant about it all but why not just close the studio if everyone is gonna leave?

Four people have left. The studio is around 200-250.

They also have hired a ton of new people in the past couple years.

You know, I kind of wonder if Patrice Désilets will end up over there. His noncompete is almost over and he recently had gave a talk where he mentioned he was more into making interactive experiences vs. "video games" and ND certainly don't mind changing things up a bit.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
it's just sad that there is no gaming "journalist" to dig into this and do some investigations on what is going with ND lately and why people are leaving what was supposed to be one of the best places to work in this industry.

gaming journalism situation is poor, we don't know the reasons behind most of cancelled project the firing or other behind the scene stuff.

Lol I don't think Neil or bruced forced him out. After making a great game, other studios gonna hunt you down.

I feel his departure is not due to some rift with other employee or something.

TheHall

If she wasn't pushed out she could get on twitter at any time and immediately put an end to those rumors. She hasn't done that.

Why would she entertain a bunch of people on an internet forum? She might be a bit of a "Video game celebrity" but i don't see "movie celebrities" go on twitter to refute everything that gets written about them either.

Why would she entertain a bunch of people on an internet forum? She might be a bit of a "Video game celebrity" but i don't see "movie celebrities" go on twitter to refute everything that gets written about them either.

Lots of people refute rumors on Twitter. Especially when friends are being attacked. It's not like typing up those 140 characters requires a lot of time and effort.

b0bbyJ03

im hoping that all of this is just standard stuff... they have a ton of talent and i assume that after the run they've had it would be like trying to keep a superbowl team together... everyone wants your talent.

A higher position though, art director. ( his level at Irrational)

The art director position at ND is held by Pangilinan and Rupehl. The former is ND employee no.13 who's been there since the Crash era, and the latter has been at ND for 7 years after a decade at Walt Disney.

As illustrious as Wells is, he's not likely to replace any of these 2 soon.

At the rate people are leaving probably 6 months.

injurai

Banned
I'm assuming people are leaving because The Last of Us is résumé gold.

Very astute point. I interviewed a few people from the games industry for a class once, they said that it's rare to be promoted at a company because they want you doing what you have proven them your best at. Most promotions come from being hired in elsewhere In a higher position.

Chances are people are seeking higher goals.

If she wasn't pushed out she could get on twitter at any time and immediately put an end to those rumors. She hasn't done that.

At this stage, it's pretty obvious that Amy left on bad terms.

Scott Rohde circled around the matter, Wells and Balestra didn't refute that statement aside from saying that it had nothing to do with Neil/Bruce, and that the blame lied on them as the studio presidents.

Wereroku

Lots of people refute rumors on Twitter. Especially when friends are being attacked. It's not like typing up those 140 characters requires a lot of time and effort.

Forced out is a stupid term. The co presidents basically confirmed she was fired. I don't know the labor laws in CA but it is probably sticker than most others so I am sure they had a solid reason for doing it. Also she was definitely not let go on good terms so of course she is not going to refute anything. Anyway this is all silly didn't we learn anything from speculating on this kind of stuff with Mort and the Evo affair?

What does this make...five? This is getting weird now.
Most of the people who left were related to the UC4 shakeup and Amy's leaving. These remaining 2 were probably career advancement related.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
it's just sad that there is no gaming "journalist" to dig into this and do some investigations on what is going with ND lately and why people are leaving what was supposed to be one of the best places to work in this industry.

gaming journalism situation is poor, we don't know the reasons behind most of cancelled project the firing or other behind the scene stuff.

Like the "journalistic" good done by the Hennig article /sarcasm

Banned
My theory is they're tired of pumping out uncharted all the time. They want to expand their horizons and use their talents for something else but Sony wants dat guaranteed money.

I got no problem with uncharted 4 but now that the franchise has been established (gameplay, characters, story) pass it on to a new and upcoming studio and let ND work on new IP like TLOU.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Like the "journalistic" good done by the Hennig article /sarcasm

Well, That was a huge fail from Mitch Dyer and IGN. we need more real journalism like the IW story (is there any good examples of gaming journalism that dig stories and discovers things publishers don't want the public to know?).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, That was a huge fail from Mitch Dyer and IGN. we need more real journalism like the IW story (is there any good examples of gaming journalism that dig stories and discovers things publishers don't want the public to know?).

Kotaku did some digging a bit ago on separate stories but I can't remember specifics.

Orayn

The truth of the situation is probably somewhere past coincidence but well short of rats abandoning a sinking ship.

Something may indeed be up, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of these are only getting publicized because of the high profile departures that kicked things off.

Frolow

Banned
What the hell's going on at Naughty Dog? At first I just thought it was normal layoffs/people leaving, but now it's far past that point.

Wereroku

I think Amy Hennig's firing had an unforeseen butterfly effect.

I am not entirely certain it was unforeseen most high profile people leaving tends to cause an exodus of others. Look at the craziness that was IW also probably the same reason Microsoft sold Bungie its independence.

As far as I'm aware, no one commented on why they left ND. Are we going to say they all left in poor terms?

All the other people who have left immediately announced they were leaving to go somewhere else. Hennig was just gone one day. Weeks later she announced she was hired on by the Star Wars team.

Why would she respond to something that isn't true and get involved in drama on some video game forum?

You should ask the presidents of Naughty Dog about that. They responded to the Druckman rumors by releasing a statement.

sono

Why would so many people be leaving a studio with one of the best reputations in the industry? Uncharted 4 going the way of the last guardian...?

If they do happen to poke around, are you seriously expecting an answer? What do you figure Sony would allow ND to say?

*rolls eyes* we aren't going to find out.

We all know what happens when journalists begin snooping:

Best to move on and wait for whatever ND delivers, game wise, before we know whether some departures affected quality or not.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Look game journalism! Smoke! Go get a story and relieve some of this rumour milll mongering whatever the result may or may not be.

Why would so many people be leaving a studio with one of the best reputations in the industry? Uncharted 4 going the way of the last guardian...?

speculation is all we have...the topic is getting a bit annoying but its either there recent success is causing them to get better offers or they just want to work in something different...

we may never know, but it'll be fun to watch everyone's reaction when the next uncharted comes and looks and plays amazing...

Lewpy

Banned
I love how the Sony defence force get their panties in a twist when the speculation of a top studios future turns negative. Yet they are the same ones to write doom and gloom posts when Microsoft employees are in a similar spotlight.

Wereroku

I love how the Sony defence force get their panties in a twist when the speculation of a top studios future turns negative. Yet they are the same ones to write doom and gloom posts when Microsoft employees are in a similar spotlight.
Can you post some links to these folks?

Top Bottom