• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Knowland (Lead Character Artist) leaves Naughty Dog

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Maybe we should make a thread every devs leave the studio. Not just ND lol.

Can't forget about the janitors and landscapers.

I think we have so many overreactions..........again.

Step 1: Help release a title that garners tons of GOTY awards and sells a bunch

Step 2: Put that on your resume and become more valuable

Step 3: Move to another job for more money and power

I mentioned this before. It's part of the business.

marrec

Banned
Guys, 2 people left my workplace in the last week.

Am I working on the next Uncharted or is this just how a healthy job market looks?

How many employees did ND have? Seems at least 2 people leave every week.

I'm pretty ignorant about it all but why not just close the studio if everyone is gonna leave?

251 as of today. (according to LinkedIn)

20 available jobs/positions as of April. ( according to the website)

Courage

I'm kind of worried of how this mass exodus will affect the quality of their upcoming games. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just Druckmann that sustained the greatness of most of their games, but the whole staff that must have been filled with talent.

thuway

It definitely feels like something major happened at not just Naughty Dog, but Sony studios as a whole. Tons of leads leaving, across 4 of their top studios. Very few game announcements. Delays of games. Silence from the usually chatty Yoshida and Boyd.

They are coasting on their great PS4 launch, but they haven't done shit for months but put out a steady stream of terrible news.

4 top leads at Naughty Dog, minimum
Lead of God of War
Lead of inFamous SS
Lead of The Last Guardian
Jack Tretton

All gone. Basically no exclusives shown at all, still, besides Drive Club and The Order.
Mountain meet molehill.

TheHall

Internet memory is short.

Last year Naughty Dog hired a shit ton of talent and every post here was like: "OMG what is going on at ND, they most be working on a new Space MMO God Tier Epic Super Saga".

Now that the new are trained, the old are flowing out, it's just a rotation of people which happens all the time in every industry ever.

We can calm down now.

injurai

Banned
It definitely feels like something major happened at not just Naughty Dog, but Sony studios as a whole. Tons of leads leaving, across 4 of their top studios. Very few game announcements. Delays of games. Silence from the usually chatty Yoshida and Boyd.

They are coasting on their great PS4 launch, but they haven't done shit for months but put out a steady stream of terrible news.

4 top leads at Naughty Dog, minimum
Lead of God of War
Lead of inFamous SS

Lead of The Last Guardian
Jack Tretton

All gone. Basically no exclusives shown at all, still, besides Drive Club and The Order.

SSM lost Stig who at the time was off of GoW. They culled an entire project and all employees they couldn't reintegrate. Stig seemingly left on his own accords after not no leading role was open.

InFamousSS lead left because he finished what he was hired in to do. Nothing surprising here.

TLG... you talking about Ueda? Because he freelances to complete the project. But most of the his work had been done. It's just his guiding hand, while he pursues other projects.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds like some heavy duty internal struggles going on in that studio. I'm sure they will get it sorted in time with some new talent.

_Ryo_

Yes, let's close a 250+ studio, because 4 or 5 people were leaving....
Amazing!

Did you not read that I said I was ignorant about the situation and how I asked how many employees the studio have? Quit it, you're making yourself look bad.

Now that the new are trained, the old are flowing out, it's just a rotation of people which happens all the time in every industry ever.

This.

10 years ago, Neil Druckmann was just an intern/programmer. 7 years ago he became a game designer. 5 years ago, a lead designer.

In terms of recognition and industry star power, Neil is leaps and above where he was 5 years ago, even when he was one of the leads responsible for the most critically beloved Uncharted.

iceatcs

And ND still want hiring 20+....

So like some might have been replaced, by new cheaper employees. I think we will see more 20+ legend people leaving in the future.

mclem

For everyone complaining about the hair/beard. When you are setting up hair to be simulated you will make it into quad strips like this. Each strip will be mapped to a clump of hair that gets simulated and blown around. So don't look at this and think that he is incapable of modeling hair just because you don't know why it looks the way it does.
I know *why* it looks that way. It's just never struck me as so, well, stickynotey before.

Isn't this pretty normal? I always had the feeling that american devs are getting laid off pretty fast.

I will never get this. Some kind of defense mechanism?

Artists usually get laid off.

People like Amy Hennig, designers, developers, programmers usually don't.

Lead positions might be the exception for artists.

velociraptor

I've said it before and I'll say it again - SCEWWS is clearly fucked. We have a mass exodus of top talent and there are no PS4 games to show for it. Obviously as a gaming fan and consumer this worries me especially since I have invested in one of Sony's consoles on the promise that it would be gaming machine first and foremost. However, how the hell can this happen when all the top talent and major players have all departed, including Jack Tretton? You would have thought they would have done everything to actually retain someone like Tretton who has done everything right for SCEA.

LiquidMetal14

And ND still want hiring 20+....

So like some might have been replaced, by new cheaper employees. I think we will see more 20+ legend people leaving in the future.

They need an old lady Walmart greeter. Then ND's rep will be saved.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - SCEWWS is clearly fucked. We have a mass exodus of top talent and there are no PS4 games to show for it. Obviously as a gaming fan this worries me especially since I have invested in one of Sony's consoles.

Mass? If only you and others had the common sense to see how the turnover rate is at these places.

Last year Naughty Dog hired a shit ton of talent and every post here was like: "OMG what is going on at ND, they most be working on a new Space MMO God Tier Epic Super Saga".

We can calm down now.

kZGXKh0.jpg

Or what happened was Amy Hennig, director/co director on all Uncharteds, left in less than amicable circumstances and a bunch of key people soon followed.

Ramrock

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again - SCEWWS is clearly fucked. We have a mass exodus of top talent and there are no PS4 games to show for it. Obviously as a gaming fan and consumer this worries me especially since I have invested in one of Sony's consoles on the promise that it would be gaming machine first and foremost. However, how the hell can this happen when all the top talent and major players have all departed, including Jack Tretton? You would have thought they would have done everything to actually retain someone like Tretton who has done everything right for SCEA.
~Mass exodus~ and ~all the top talent left~? So all the ~2000 people at the SCEWWS left? Tell us more, please!

You better start selling your Sony consoles, because they are ~clearly fucked~

/sarcasm

LiquidMetal14

kZGXKh0.jpg

Or what happened was Amy Hennig, director/co director on all Uncharteds, left in less than amicable circumstances and a bunch of key people soon followed.

Your logic is flawed. You were equally wrong about Shu.

And to be clear, you have no idea how the industry works if you come with hyperbole like that.

It's not unusual to see Senior staff leaving, especially after big projects, but Leads? And 4 of them in a short while? That's definitely not normal at all.

Hoje0308

Banned

This better be a joke post or you need to correct your completely erroneous claims and learn what an investment is.

Some people are falling for obvious trolling in this thread. Come on now.

Hmmmmmm.....

Corto

Well, the silver lining could be that some year(s) from now we'll have a great indie game like Papers Please.

But if Amy Hennig was the trigger that caused these departures, then realistically, the ones departing would had been core members of 'Team Uncharted.'

I have no issue making the assumption that Justin Richmond's departure might had been because of Amy, but Nate and Knowland, who were leads in Druckmann's team, with little to no input/influence on Uncharted at all?

If it was Josh Scherr or Kurt Margenau who left? Then I would be really fucking worried.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
ITT: We learn which people haven't got the slightest clue how an actual studio functions.

For christs sake there are h-u-n-d-r-e-d-s of people working at major studios at any given time, with people constantly leaving and joining. Do you have any clue how many key people left during the Crash days? Jak days? Even after Uncharted?

There are also these things called contracts. See, sometimes they run out. Sometimes these key guys actually specify they only want to work there for a certain amount of time, because most likely they're in the middle of striking up their next work period with another studio. Sometimes this happens in batches. Sometimes friends jump from studio to studio. Sometimes people leave for creative differences.

Seriously these threads always play out the same way. If only some of you had a clue how many key players have come and gone from your favorite studios.
Holy tap dancing fuck, people can't seriously be this ignorant.

I think you should relax, because some of them are really just joking around. The discussion and speculation of the departures have really touched a raw nerve to some of you

Please tell me this is a joke post.

LiquidMetal14

Some people are falling for obvious trolling in this thread. Come on now.

I'm drinking coffee in the morning, I have little patience for sarcasms and obvious troll remarks. I agree with you but those kinds of comments temper the conversation off point and are why they are so annoying.

It feels like a playground in here sometimes and until mods start holding people accountable for inflammatory remarks then the thread grows and we have hyperbole filled arm chair remarks which had no ground to stand on other than wanting to be quoted for attention.

Please explain how the logic is flawed. Just saying you are wrong, you dumb dumb, doesn't exactly cement your point.

Perhaps logic was not the best word but after having seen you in the Shu thread and seeing your post here, you have little to stand on other than sensationalist speculation. If you can get by with that mentality then I will point it out again.

We either have a more grounded analysis of this or we have the deep end remarks which have come up in this thread. Your post included. It gets more annoying to read since no one here really understands what goes on but we can at least relate when it comes to our own work environments and how we all want to advance and ultimately earn more money. That's as plain and simple as I can get. If you want to go and rationalize that in other ways then I'm more than glad to rebut your statement.

Mar Nosso

Banned
This is approaching a bit of a trend now. Question is are we seeing people leaving to capitalize on ND (and their success) to further careers or signs of something else or are ND big enough we're just seeing normal attrition?

That is the crux of the matter in regard to what has been happening at Naughty Dog.

Pathos

Banned
They are getting rid of people + hiring new people at the same time. What's the problem here? Sounds completely normal.

Az

The stuff ND is doing looks really good on a resume. People are getting better offers which ND might not match. So, people leave.

AkuMifune

Banned
Could just be coincidental timing of people leaving for new territory (normal), but it does have the strange feel of "bail out".

Of course I think they'll be fine, but my gut tells me perhaps the way Amy was dismissed didn't sit well with some people, or the new power structure isn't as appealing as it used to be.

Conjecture!

This is approaching a bit of a trend now. Question is are we seeing people leaving to capitalize on ND (and their success) to further careers or signs of something else or are ND big enough we're just seeing normal attrition?

And the following question: Can ND continue to be a top developer, now that some "senior" talent has left and they're bringing in fresh blood, or their output will be affected?

But these threads never go anywhere. A bunch of people overreacting, others making up some wild narrative...at least it's entertaining.

Top Bottom