• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Knowland (Lead Character Artist) leaves Naughty Dog

EGM1966

This is approaching a bit of a trend now. Question is are we seeing people leaving to capitalize on ND (and their success) to further careers or signs of something else or are ND big enough we're just seeing normal attrition?

AniHawk

Guys, I've known the truth for a long time now.

Truth is, Jak 4 is being made. Yup, I said it, Jak 4 is being made. This caused a civil war so to speak due to one part of the team wanting to make a open world platformer akin to Arkham City, but with the scale of a GTA game. The other part of Naughty Dog wanted to make a Dark Souls-esque Jak game where the platforming is extremely tough and the world is interconnected, the player can find shortcuts or create them. This creative rift has put the entire team on edge and a lot of people are backing out. Other creative arguments included if Daxter should be in the game, if it would be a sequel or reboot, whether or not to include vehicles, the whole thing is a mess.

I know what what you're thinking, and yes, I know this because I've read tweets and can interpret them with no error. This is the closest thing to the truth and I'm worried.

see this falls apart the moment you talk about them worrying about level design in a jak game.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sony did the same thing with their Psygnosis/Liverpool studio. Making them develop Wipeout sequels and nothing else. It's sad when studios are not allowed to stretch their creative muscles
You're basing all of this on what exactly? Can you expand on your thoughts and why you think them, please?
It definitely feels like something major happened at not just Naughty Dog, but Sony studios as a whole. Tons of leads leaving, across 4 of their top studios. Very few game announcements. Delays of games. Silence from the usually chatty Yoshida and Boyd.
They are coasting on their great PS4 launch, but they haven't done shit for months but put out a steady stream of terrible news.
4 top leads at Naughty Dog, minimum
Lead of God of War
Lead of inFamous SS
Lead of The Last Guardian
Jack Tretton
All gone. Basically no exclusives shown at all, still, besides Drive Club and The Order.
What narrative are you trying to push?!
Very few game announcements? Do you mean just from WWS? You're complaining about this week's before E3? Delay of one game? Driveclub? Yosp and Boyes never tweet about internal business. Stig, whose game sucked years of time and money. The Second Son designer who himself says there's no "sinister pattern to the departures". Ueda for The Last Guardian? Who's now working on TLG on contract and under tighter milestones? And Jack Tretton. The worst offense on your list in my opinion. A man who left most likely because he was unable to advance further up the corporate ladder and not for some weird sinister thing you're imagining? And that no exclusives thing is infuriating. Just because you're not interested, games vorp out of existence?

These threads bring out the worst in GAF. I can't wait for E3, this forum needs a positivity injection. Everyone has been angsty and ancy since January.

Edit : Dear lord, I'm going to sleep. I wish I could hide threads so I don't have to see this one transform into a 10 page monstrosity when US-GAF starts waking up.

Bold One

hey ND, if you are looking for a happy-go-lucky guy for office shenanigans hit me up.

Yeah, I'm not that good at all this games deving stuff but I am a blast to have around.

please see my twitter for my salary demands

No wonder they got rid of him. That beard and hair looks horrible. No doubt it took some other artist ages to fix.

He cant do hair :p

Sarcasm, right? :p

There goes my hype for TLOU 2 then. The guy is absolutely amazing sculptor,the game won't be the same without him.

Frank Tzeng works there. It's likely he might take over.

Michael Knowland has had an amazing career thus far, so I'm guessing he's wanting to further his career elsewhere. He's pretty much set for a good while. He's very young.

hal9001

Banned
Are we going to do this for every person that leaves Naughty Dog studios? Many other studios have departures yet we never hear anything about it.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Are we going to do this for every person that leaves Naughty Dog studios? Many other studios have departures yet we never hear anything about it.

Yeah, if Rare had this kind of attention back in the day, there would have been nearly one firing thread per hour.

Also, DRUCKMANNNNNNNNN!

anaron

The defense force for this company is insane.

God forbid we discuss the merits of a notable turnover. If this were Druckman leaving, I know all of you "nothing to worry about, move on" people would flip out.

Nibel

Who knows what the working conditions are at ND; maybe it's just too stressful for some individuals since the pressure on the studio from crazy fans and the industry itself is insane

And then there's Druckman watching over the shoulder of every employee with his beautiful eyes that pierce your work like longswords to detect if you've put enough soul and emotion into it so that he can measure if you're qualified for receiving a little fast kiss on the back of the head and a 'Thank you'

What I'm saying is that with other studios we learn about their lost talent when those people are already at a new place. Retro lost a bunch of people as well and DKCTF is one of the best games ever made by them, so I think this isn't as wild as people think

THis is getting out of hand.

Naughty dog has perhaps 200+ people in their workforce. Someone leaves, the trend of the days is, "quickly report it".

This guy for example was at ND 2.5 years. He worked only in TLOU. He finished his work and he left.

Do we get similar reports as these when people are hired by Naughty Dog?

No.

Probably ND has made some hiring as well these days. But no. The cool news are about the people leaving. Panic mode on.
Can't fault GAF members or gaming journalists for being interested in the comings and goings of development leads of big name studios. It's a shame that these things start leading a life of its own, but that's where people's journalistic chops are supposed to step in. An inquiry to the company could get a simple PR statement that can frame the subsequent reporting correctly. All this tight-lipped business is an ugly breeding ground for sensationalist speculation.

I do agree on the point of key hires, though I bet they would be discussed as well if people were informed about them. Departures are easier to track since we know who is there.

dl77

The one with Amy Hennig was odd, but none of my business. The others however I'd just assume is because ND only work on AAA titles.

You're looking at 3-4 years of your life invested solidly on one game. When that's finished, more often than not, you start planning for the next in the series. I think it's a case of people wanting to do something new rather than continue on the same trail. To the best of my knowledge it's fairly common for people to move on to another studio/challenge after a game's finished.

In terms of artists I imagine that most of the design work on UC4 is finished and it's the mundane stuff of putting it into place and bug checking/refining it that they're working on now. If I was an artist I'd probably prefer the creative part of the process rather than the actual putting it all together. Plus, if they're just starting pre-production on a sequel to TLOU then I'm sure some people don't fancy doing it all again for another 4 years.

Given that there's probably a few hundred people at the company I don't see a big deal about a handful leaving for new pastures.

The defense force for this company is insane.

God forbid we discuss the merits of a notable turnover. If this were Druckman leaving, I know all of you "nothing to worry about, move on" people would flip out.

The association of this with Amy/Justin, other Sony departures or UC4 is stupid though.

Like when some news site or IGN said that Nate Wells was art director at ND. Do some minimal amount of research before making assumptions.

Chuck

Still without luck
Love these threads, people act like there are no talented people left at ND.

No one is assuming this. They're assuming that some shit went down in the office last month that spawned these key departures.

I do, however, love seeing people try to rationalize more than half a dozen top level people leaving one of the most renowned developers all at once. Yeah, they're just moving on...TOTES!

grandpa-simpson-arrives-and-leaves_49.gif

Nobody threw a shitstorm when Lemarchand and Minkoff literally left the gaming industry altogether after working at ND.

Minkoff, he's still at ND.

And just by the way, this thread is ridiculous. A lead character artist? For god sake, there's reason to be up in arms about Amy Hennig leaving, while she's directing a game. But a lead character artist is... Well not exactly hard to replace.

anaron

Can you, or anyone here on GAF, even speak intelligently about what was "broke" about working inside Naughty Dog?

Come the fuck on.

I didn't even imply anything like that.

What I'm arguing is that it's as equally silly to suggest that these departures are going to be so easily replaced and that referring to the prior members contributions as practically disposable is screwed up and dumb.

I feel like some of these departures could be salary related. Sony studies are known for paying less, but giving more creative control, than many other studies.
ND just made of the most critically acclaimed games of last generation, so people like Knowland will choice pickings between new jobs and could probably get one where he's payed a good deal more.

Leaving while the buzz behind The Last of Us is still at a high point, doesn't seem like the worst idea.

Ovek

7Member7
No one is assuming this. They're assuming that some shit went down in the office last month that spawned these key departures.

I do, however, love seeing people try to rationalize more than half a dozen top level people leaving one of the most renowned developers all at once. Yeah, they're just moving on...TOTES!

Maybe they all got bored of making Uncharted day after day for the last 8 years.

Maybe they all got bored of making Uncharted day after day for the last 8 years.

Except that the last two departures had nothing to do with Uncharted at all.

Nate Wells joined in 2012. Micheal Knowland joined in 2011.

The only game they ever worked on in ND I'd TLoU.

Chuck

Still without luck

All within 2 months of each other? Do you realize how insane that sounds? Especially when one of them started the whole series.

Also Nate Wells was there for just over 1 year. I doubt he got sick of never shipping an uncharted game.

How many is this now?
4 or 5 people. In a studio of hundreds upon hundreds. Thats it. But let's panic and pretend something horrible is happening, Naughty Dog is doomed, etc.

Newsflash: top people can do as they please and leave to work for whoever the fuck they want on a whim. Who expects these leads and directors to stay put in the same studio forever? Like someone mentioned, colleagues departing force others to reevaluate their position.

Hoo-doo

Banned
All within 2 months of each other? Do you realize how insane that sounds? Especially when one of them started the whole series.

Also Nate Wells was there for just over 1 year. I doubt he got sick of never shipping an uncharted game.

Their biggest project just finished, The Last Of Us.
It's not strange to see people move around when a company is between games and in a transition phase.

Ramrock

Banned
Another one? What in the world is going on over there?
Is that a meme now, or something?
ND has over 250 employees. People are coming and going. 4 were leaving and more are gonna follow. Are we getting several threads each time an employee leaves + the ~wtf is goin on~ concern posts?

Sweep14

I agree the first two ones could leave for egos affair, but you can´t allow your character lead designer to leave. Even worse, he leaves after having designed the characters of one of the best games of the gen, and along Uncharted 2 the best game of ND.

You can perfectly allow such a person to leave if you've got people with as much or better talent in your kennel...

Hyunashi

4 or 5 people. In a studio of hundreds upon hundreds. Thats it. But let's panic and pretend something horrible is happening, Naughty Dog is doomed, etc.

Newsflash: top people can do as they please and leave to work for whoever the fuck they want on a whim. Who expects these leads and directors to stay put in the same studio forever? Like someone mentioned, colleagues departing force others to reevaluate their position.

Nothing stays the same forever too. New people will step up and make their names known.

Lynq

Banned
I haven't been following this too closely, but what the fuck is up at ND? Has there been any explanation about all these departures?

Nothing. Holy crap, people, NOTHING.

People are leaving from every major studio. It's just that media tend to report only on those from Naughty Dog, lol

I've said in another topic - after Witcher 2, about ~30 devs left to do something different. It's normal.

Top Bottom